Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WAR or AoC

cc170cc170 Member Posts: 146

Okay, I made a thread a little while ago about LF a good MMO. Well I narrowed the choices to these two for my 2nd MMO. Because, I am also playing EVE. I would like to know which game I should go to. Which one is in better shape? Also which one has better PvP. It has been a while since I played.

Thanks to anyone who can help

Playing:WoW, GA
Played:WoW,WAR,AoC,EQ,CoH,GW,EVE,Aion
Want to play:SW:TOR

Comments

• cc170cc170 Member Posts: 146

I am also open to other suggestions

• EbolavirusEbolavirus Member Posts: 21

I currently also play eve(since launch),  have played both aoc and war.  i would recomend war over aoc,  but would also like to say its still your choice,  as no1 can tell you deffinatly which is better for you.

Me

Originally posted by Ebolavirus

I currently also play eve(since launch),  have played both aoc and war.  i would recomend war over aoc,  but would also like to say its still your choice,  as no1 can tell you deffinatly which is better for you.

Yeah EVE is great. But I would l ike a 2nd MMO. I have also looking at other MMO's since I posted this. Is there any other sandbox MMO's like EVE I would also like to check them out if they are around

• SignoreSignore Member Posts: 127

I have played both AoC and WAR largely.

AoC was going down the tubes in the start but several month ago there was a change in leadership and now it has recovered and is a very reputable game, Back when I played it was a very fun game but missing alot and also missing alot of promises but that all being fulfilled now I can say that the game is a good candidate for you. The game is very joyful to play as every fatality just... well just ROCKS.... I mean cutting some guys head off for a finisher in PvP is just so satisfying, I played a Herald of Xolti which is essentially a Cloth Wearing 2 Handed Beserker, spos to be a Hybrid Caster/Melee but honestly its just Melee but overall the class owns, Couple of the fatalities I love, One of Which is where you reach in the opponents chest and pull out there heart and eat it ^^, and the Fatality you gain at Max level for Herald I would say is the best of Any class.   You plunge your Sword into the victims neck and then they fall over onto the ground you pry the sword off with the head still attatched and then giving it a Swift kick the head goes rolling away.

(AoC much much more fun then WAR)

WAR I would stay away from the game has a flaw that it can't ever correct for, that being It SUCKS to grind PvP Battlegrounds endlessly... Honestly, you might think grinding PvP would be fun... but when you rely 99% on teamwork and 99% of the time your team honestly can't work together untill the organized lvl 40 guild groups.  But even if you have a good group every time it gets agonizing to play, I say playing the same small PvP map 150 times really does get boring and torturous, if you think you can lvl an alt think again.  It was a nice Idea but WAR ultimatly failed, not to mention the game isn't build at all on 1v1, it is build so that Perfect Team vs perfect Team would be an even fight but unfortunetly that is NEVER the case as one team would have say more tanks or More Healers or more DPS/healers.

(Only thing I liked about WAR at all were the sieges but even then they were very rigged and AoE is a joke, not to mention even today a NASA Super computer can't run them at a suitable FPS because the Coding was done poorly and cannot support massive battles like that.)

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

I have to say AoC at least right now.

AoC had a bad launch and still needs more content. But it do have some good points and really look great.

WAR also had a bad launch and the decision to cut out 4 of 6 citys killed the endgame of it, now it is just bad. Also people tend to grind scenarios which is fun for a short while but really kills the purpose of the game: RVR.

If WAR patch in the missing citys and find some way to make RvR more fun so fewer people spend all their time in instanced battles the game might make a come back but right now it is not good enough.

But taste differs and my advice to you is: Make a free trial of both the games, spend one weekend with each game. That should at least give you the feel for both of the games and making the choice easier.

• NecroHeliumNecroHelium Member Posts: 175

I'm also a EVE player for the last 3 years.  I've bought and played considerable time in both AoC and WAR and although AoC was a bit different as far as combat and the like it just feels to me like its missing something.  Still very fun and I would recommend a trial though.

WAR is not nearly as bad as some here like to say.  Instanced battlegrounds are popular but I've leveled multiple characters exclusiively on Open RvR and sieges.  Get a high population server and open RvR areas are almost always populated with 2 decent sized armies.  Also fun in that all characters get items exclusively for that character and if you're a weapon/armor graphic junky like me you can really see some cool advancement as you level up.

I'd recommend either game, both are incredibly fun but WAR has better PvP hands down and that's what I prefer in games so I'd say WAR is better for me.

Try a trial of both games, see for yourself :).

*Edit - WAR also has PvP available from the start... not so much with AoC.

• KirinRahlKirinRahl Member UncommonPosts: 159

Having played both, I'd have to go with WAR.  It's the only game I've managed to stick with for more than three or four months since Star Wars Galaxies' crafting system grabbed me at release and kept me there 'til NGE and CU.

It's been a long time since I've had such a satisfying experience as Warhammer Online, and a lot of the things folks are ragging on it about (AoE, Scenario-grinding with no open-RvR availability, etc.) have seen a ton of tweaks and fixes in the past few months.  Particularly, with 1.3 getting set to release soon, AoE's ranges and damages are being reduced and super-stacking AoEs doesn't do huge amounts of damage anymore; in general, they're balancing things out, although many forumgoers bemoan the nerf hammer and its terrifying fall.

Either way, AoC (something I beta tested and stuck with for a few months before losing interest) is out a lot of content.  It's pretty easy to get very high up in AoC and stay there, although the combat does feel pretty nice and visceral when you've got a machine to run it while it's looking proper.

Both games have their merits, but I'd have to go with recommending Warhammer Online.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

You know, both WAR and AoCs PvP is a bit slow to me. It is probably since I am so use to Guildwars fast and furious PvP.

But as I said, the RvR in WAR can really get better. The end goal before launch was supposed to hold all 6 citys at the same time. That is just hard enough to be really fun. Now you have to hold a lot of pointless places instead and that is just not fun enough.

Sieging is rather fun in both games actually.

The comparision is also kinda unfair since AoC been out 6 months longer than WAR but to me WAR needs 6 more months at least of patching to be truly fun.

But Ok, I am a huge fan of the IP so I can just be dissapointed since I feel that Mythic didn't do the IP right. Levels in Warhammer is just plain wrong to me, and I been playing the pen and paper RPG and Bloodbowl for 20 years (well, BB for 17 or 18).

• NecroHeliumNecroHelium Member Posts: 175
    Originally posted by Loke666

You know, both WAR and AoCs PvP is a bit slow to me. It is probably since I am so use to Guildwars fast and furious PvP.
    But as I said, the RvR in WAR can really get better. The end goal before launch was supposed to hold all 6 citys at the same time. That is just hard enough to be really fun. Now you have to hold a lot of pointless places instead and that is just not fun enough.
    Sieging is rather fun in both games actually.
    The comparision is also kinda unfair since AoC been out 6 months longer than WAR but to me WAR needs 6 more months at least of patching to be truly fun.
    But Ok, I am a huge fan of the IP so I can just be dissapointed since I feel that Mythic didn't do the IP right. Levels in Warhammer is just plain wrong to me, and I been playing the pen and paper RPG and Bloodbowl for 20 years (well, BB for 17 or 18).

I was upset when I originally heard they were only putting in 2 cities but while 6 would have been loads better 2 by no means ruins the game... especially since city sieges aren't happening at all times and most action is on keeps or fortresses anyways.  I don't know how long you've been gone... myself for about 4 months, but before I left they also implemented oRvR infuence which really increased the amount of people in Open RvR by an exponential amount.

Also WAR been out 6 months less than AoC but AoC was released in what should have been a beta build, so that comparison is not really a very good one.

• SignoreSignore Member Posts: 127

What essentially happened AoC Swept in 6 month before WAR to try and get the WAR subscribers first but it was honestly at least 8 months undeveloped for real release.  So most people left within 3 months of AoC release then went to WAR were disappointed and went seperate ways, now many going back to AoC.

• kallion86kallion86 Member Posts: 50

Honestly, if I have to choose, I'm going to have to say Warhammer.

There's nothing wrong with AOC in my opinion, both are fantastic games... That might be a little biased though because I might have too much of a positive attitude and I love a lot of MMORPGs. /shrug

Personally though, I like Warhammer because of my playstyle, I'm a huge fan of Player versus Player combat when it's clean and nice (none of the mean attitudes and hardcore trash talk), and I just can't get over the fact that you can start a character, jump into a battleground (Scenario) and it will boost you up to level 8 so you can have fun with your fellow players, even if you're not up to par with some of your opposition.

While WAR might not be for everyone, it seems to be my choice. I love how you can pvp from the get go and purchase gear while you're leveling up through battlegrounds.

From the last time I played, the cons seem to be that the population is a little low (I'm not saying 300,000 is low, but compared to 5-10 million, just a teensy bit.) and it can be difficult at times to find a game if you're a night-owl or an early riser. (I'm usually playing around 1-3AM so it's tough for me, I had to take a break from WAR because it usually took 5 minutes to find a game)

All in all though. Great game, both of them. Enjoy which ever one you choose.

MMO Addict :D

• AIMonsterAIMonster Member UncommonPosts: 2,059

It really depends on you.  You should give us a bit more to go on.

Warhammer is very similar to WoW.  Aside from some interesting innovations like the Tome of Knowledge, Public Questing, and the ability to level off PvP you are better off playing WoW in my opinion.  If being able to spend your game time PvPing from the offset all the way to the endgame is important to you then you should try Warhammer.  Public questing is a great idea, but there are too many of them and you might have difficulty finding an active public quest anyway.  As far as the Tome of Knowledge goes there is nothing like it (it is far superior to WoW's new achievement system) so if you are obsessed with unlocking achievements Warhammer would also be a good game for you.

AoC is a lot more innovative.  Combat is far more interesting (for melee/hybrid classes only unfortunately) though not exactly on the level of twitch/skill based combat.  The mature content is used fairly well (fatalities and NPC dialogue).  The classes are some of the most interesting in any MMO.  AoC does suffer from lots of bad game design decisions (gear is almost meaningless, classes are severely unbalanced, lack of end game content, raids are unbalanced, crafting is boring and most crafting is worthless, etc.) as well as tons of glitches overall (though I heard they are doing a really good job fixing them, which wasn't the case for several months after release).  AoC's early game is some of the most entertaining out of any MMO too.  If you don't plan on playing AoC for a long time or just plan on playing AoC casually then it's a very good game.

• FraxtureFraxture Member UncommonPosts: 121

WAR rocks, especially in the PVP scenarios.

AOC, was crap, and is still crap. Done wastiung my money there.

• tgs81tgs81 Member Posts: 6

I think a better question is.  Funcom or Mythic?   Neither is exactly tops in my choice of developers.  Both games had horrible starts but at least you can credit Funcom with steady improvement.

Thus far Mythic just runs from one bad decision to another.   And none of the numerous flaws from launch have yet to be addressed.   Sad as Warhammer's current state is, I don't believe its hit bottom yet.

Truely it disgusts me to say it, because I despise EA, but EA is probally the games only hope if they can some how wrangle the game away from Mythic.   Until control of Warhammers development is taken away from the current managers at Mythic that game won't get better.

Age of Conan though has steadily improved since that first disastrous month and appears close to becoming a pretty good game if they can deliver on the promise of patch 1.05.

• iNeokiiNeoki Member UncommonPosts: 353

I've recently been in a dilemma too, I'm very careful about spending my money and I make enoguh to say "Wtf, why am I worried about 15 bucks?" well 15 bucks adds up after a year, and why should I pay for something I won't enjoy?  Well I close beta tested and open beta tested both WAR and AoC.  And I still have an active Anarchy Online account (So my judgements are not against Funcom).  However after signing up for a trial recently to both games, I've decided WAR over AoC for one simple reason.  I can progress a little more easily and I can enjoy solo play and all the while I can PVP at the same time while questing.  If I'm getting bored and in the middle of nowhere, I can still load into the PVP scenarios and have a kick or two and then when i'm bored of that I can continue grinding my quests away.

I played a Guardian and Dark Templar up to 80 in AoC back in the day, and after testing the waters on a free trial on my main account I gotta say AoC has trimmed nicely, but still does not fit my taste, it's nice for a while but then grows old it seems as PVP is a thing I enjoy very much, but WAR just hits that spot a little bit better for me.  Granted everybody has their own opinion, but I chose WAR.

TwitchTV: iNeoki

• spikers14spikers14 Member UncommonPosts: 531

AoC: If you want a more interesting/fun leveling process

War: If you want an actual end-game.

• cybertruckercybertrucker Member UncommonPosts: 1,117

For me personally I have to say AoC is probably the better of the 2 games which is funny because as of right now. I am playing WAR... WAR is great for RVR/PVP but the PVE in the game is pretty blland and boring... AoC has some amazing PVE and some interesting PVP as well. So I would say it is more balanced between the 2 games.

The only reason I am not playing AoC is due to the fact a friend of mine (I have a group I play with regularly and we try several games together) didnt like the non high fantasy feel of AoC... he prefers the High Fantasy feel and AoC is lacking in that department.

• KoroshiyaKoroshiya Member UncommonPosts: 265
    Originally posted by spikers14

AoC: If you want a more interesting/fun leveling process
    War: If you want an actual end-game.

I have to disagree with the end game comment on WAR.  As a long time EQ/EQ2/DAoC vet Warhammer in my humble opinion has no end game.  BB/BWE/LV on 3 day lock outs is it.  The keep system is linear and boring compared to the RvR daoc had and the City Seiges and King encounter is boring a tripe.  Kiting around mobs while others rush around behind you doing dps isn't my idea of great pve experiences.

I do not know about AoC's end game as I got to Kesh and quit playing because my guild went to war, but in the end I have quit both.  If you don't mind only having 3 "real" end game short 6man instances that lock you out for 3 days then War isn't so bad, for me though I was looking for something more.  I wish, again my personal opinion, but I wish RvR actually was less linear in the way it was laid out, and that City Seiges weren't so.. kite to win based.

I think I am jaded though, no mmo out right now has kept me longer then 2 weeks after coming back to it, not eq2, not war, not aoc, not daoc, nothing can keep me interested.  I log in, realize there is no real point other then to grind either mobs or quests and then log out.  I think I might just be getting tired of mmo's in general.... bleh I hate to admit that.

“The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off , why should I. Light up the darkness” – Bob Marley

Thank you for all the replys. I have played both of these games, but It's just the thing Im not sure which I would rather play.

I shall elaborate on what I want in an MMO

I want really good PvP

a nice endgame too (Havn't reached the end on either)

Thanks

• DynastyEmpirDynastyEmpir Member Posts: 1

My recommendation would be Guildwars over AoC or WAR. As one poster pointed out, they are slow compared to Guildwars. Gameplay on GW is far superior as well  :)

Playing: DynastyEmpires.com

• LogothXLogothX Member Posts: 245

There are no good MMOs, wait for the genre to get it's collective head out of it's ass, should the day ever come.

• galliard1981galliard1981 Member Posts: 256

AoC is better, i played both

AoC has better graphics and pvp. Plus, no stupid factions.

I quit both only because there was no death penalty at all and i am hardcore pvper, used to diablo2 harsh consequences. It was dumb when i wanted to be killed just to teleport to spawn point and save some time. No adrenaline that every decent pvp game has to pump.

I chose to return to archlord. It has pretty graphics, beautiful music composed by London Symphony Orchestra, there is a chance of item loss on pvp and you can become king of the world (king of server to be precise, which is still quiet something awesome)

Grind is acceptable in AL, cuz of AoE skills. Grouping is rewarded and its freetoplay (although there was fee initially)

Playing: Rohan
    Played (from best to worst): Shadowbane, Guild Wars, Shayia, Age of Conan, Warhammer, Runes of Magic, Rappelz, Archlord, Knight online, King of Kings, Kal online, Last chaos