Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

TOR: Smuggler/Dual Wield Lightsabers confirmed, E3 coverage, hints at starships and more!

DeaconXDeaconX Member UncommonPosts: 3,062

http://www.starwarsmmo.net/news/edge-magazine-bioware-interview/

 

 

*Had to delete the scans but you can still find them and read the article at the link above. 

I resized and cleared up the tiny screenshot and you can clearly see the character holding two red lightsabers:

image

Why do I write, create, fantasize, dream and daydream about other worlds? Because I hate what humanity does with this one.

BOYCOTTING EA / ORIGIN going forward.

«1

Comments

  • SimsuSimsu Member UncommonPosts: 386

     Awesome. Thanks for sharing this.

  • DeaconXDeaconX Member UncommonPosts: 3,062

    PERSONALLY, I would have rather they called it a SCOUNDREL instead of SMUGGLER since smuggling is something specific while a SCOUNDREL is into all sorts of shady business... smuggling is just one thing a scoundrel does... it's a small detail and either way I'm happy, I'm just sayin' I think it would've made more sense... ... plus it sounds cooler and can be a bit more 'heroic' hehe.

    image

    Why do I write, create, fantasize, dream and daydream about other worlds? Because I hate what humanity does with this one.

    BOYCOTTING EA / ORIGIN going forward.

  • Darth_PeteDarth_Pete Member Posts: 559

    20-30 minutes of gameplay at E3 :O

    Sounds like we finaly get some usefull info!

  • BaronJuJuBaronJuJu Member UncommonPosts: 1,832

    Good find DeaconX! I agree with you about Scoundrel vs. Smuggler title but heck, I will take either.  I'm just glad they decided to reintroduce the class. I also noticed on the first page to the left of the BH and Troopers a green droid. Is it possible they are going to introduce a Droid character/class?

    "If we don't attack them, they will attack us first. So we'd better retaliate before they have a chance to strike"

  • DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

    Can't say I agree with these final lines of the interview AT ALL;

    "Most importantly, you never want people to have to look for fun. People want to be guided - they don't want to have to find the fun."

    edit: In my mind the lines should have been:

     "Most importantly, we never want people to have to look for fun. The kind of players we aim for want to be guided - they don't want to have to find the fun."

  • Darth_PeteDarth_Pete Member Posts: 559

    If you zoom in you can see what the guy is thinking...

     

    j/k :D

  • eyeswideopeneyeswideopen Member Posts: 2,414
    Originally posted by DarkPony


    Can't say I agree with these final lines of the interview AT ALL;
    "Most importantly, you never want people to have to look for fun. People want to be guided - they don't want to have to find the fun."
    edit: In my mind the lines should have been:
     "Most importantly, we never want people to have to look for fun. The kind of players we aim for want to be guided - they don't want to have to find the fun."



     

    Agreed. Because i can guarantee I'm not one of those people he thinks he knows. I don't wan't to be guided to shit.

    -Letting Derek Smart work on your game is like letting Osama bin Laden work in the White House. Something will burn.-
    -And on the 8th day, man created God.-

  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 10,384
    Originally posted by BaronJuJu


    Good find DeaconX! I agree with you about Scoundrel vs. Smuggler title but heck, I will take either.  I'm just glad they decided to reintroduce the class. I also noticed on the first page to the left of the BH and Troopers a green droid. Is it possible they are going to introduce a Droid character/class?

     

    I agree, I like the Scoundrel title better, but it is just a title after all. I remember getting an infraction for making a joke thread tittled, "Confirmed classes= Scout and Scoundrel" It would be funny if I was right.

    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter
     
  • maniacfoxmaniacfox Member UncommonPosts: 171

    It's interesting to see an MMO developer say that they are seriously looking to compete with WoW. A lot of MMO developers at the moment either dodge that question or just say that WoW is such a monster that they'd be happy to get a fraction of it's subscribers. Go BioWare!

  • IlvaldyrIlvaldyr Member CommonPosts: 2,142
    Originally posted by maniacfox


    It's interesting to see an MMO developer say that they are seriously looking to compete with WoW. A lot of MMO developers at the moment either dodge that question or just say that WoW is such a monster that they'd be happy to get a fraction of it's subscribers. Go BioWare!

    Yep, I was just thinking that; it's refreshing to see a clear "Yes!" answer to that question.

    Hopefully it means that Bioware will be concentrating on providing a well-polished, varied and enjoyable long-term gaming experience that blows all of the recent narrowly focused and lacklustre releases out of the water and provides a viable alternative/improvement.

    image
    Playing: EVE, Final Fantasy 13, Uncharted 2, Need for Speed: Shift
  • segynsegyn Member Posts: 234

     well if this game has as good a story as kotor and mass effect had than it will do great. I have wanted an mmo with a story driven game like console rpg's for a very long time. I'm very excited about this game. 

  • ObeeObee Member Posts: 1,550

    Mario is going to be in it?  Awesome!

     

     

  • ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912
    Originally posted by Obee


    Mario is going to be in it?  Awesome!
     
     

     

    Lol, yeah my first though. Ok, kinda glad to know some other ppl than me have "odd thinking".  XD

     

    Anywho... GREAT article. I officially creamed my pants, lol. Seriously, so far it reads all wonderful. Ok, guided experience sounds odd, but in these days we can't make ANOTHER EQ, Vanguard tried and see where that led to.

    Also nice to see them have the guts to just answer to the "do you want to beat WOW" question sincerly, heh. GO GO GO, Bioware! ^^

    People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

  • ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

    Awesome job Deacon, thanks for the post!

    30
  • DeaconXDeaconX Member UncommonPosts: 3,062

    I can't really take credit for FINDING this news I just came across it - I think it was someone named Drazil on the TOR forums who originally posted a link - I'm just sharing it here :)

    But yeah, pretty awesome stuff.  20-30 minutes of TOR gameplay?  Can't wait for Wednesday.  In case anyone didn't know TOR's spotlight at E3 is on Wednesday: http://e3.gamespot.com/e3-live-schedule/?tag=live;view_schedule#blank

    image

    Why do I write, create, fantasize, dream and daydream about other worlds? Because I hate what humanity does with this one.

    BOYCOTTING EA / ORIGIN going forward.

  • spankybusspankybus Member UncommonPosts: 1,367

    I am glad I got to read that article before a mod pulls it. Posting pages from another company's rag is scary copyright infringement and I expect it will be killed.

     

    I, too, did not care for his comment about how we're all a bunch of morons who must be led by the nose. Games are becoming so idiot-friendly that i expect soon they're be just like Movies. You basically just sit tehre and watch it play itself, because you can't be trusted to 'play it right'.

    Frank 'Spankybus' Mignone
    www.spankybus.com
    -3d Artist & Compositor
    -Writer
    -Professional Amature

  • DeaconXDeaconX Member UncommonPosts: 3,062
    Originally posted by spankybus


    I am glad I got to read that article before a mod pulls it. Posting pages from another company's rag is scary copyright infringement and I expect it will be killed.
     
    I, too, did not care for his comment about how we're all a bunch of morons who must be led by the nose. Games are becoming so idiot-friendly that i expect soon they're be just like Movies. You basically just sit tehre and watch it play itself, because you can't be trusted to 'play it right'.



     

    Whoops.  My bad.   I'll delete the pages now *D'oh!* and just keep the link up.

    As for the last statement, I totally agree.  That's why I want a 'THEMEBOX' or 'SANDPARK' MMORPG with TOR.  When you want to focus on story, you kind of need that theme park train tracks guided stuff.  But I want a lot of freedom to go about my own way and find my own side quests, explore the heck out of planets and space in regions that don't really have to do with any of my actual quests...

    image

    Why do I write, create, fantasize, dream and daydream about other worlds? Because I hate what humanity does with this one.

    BOYCOTTING EA / ORIGIN going forward.

  • jadan2000jadan2000 Member UncommonPosts: 508

     Great info so far. Im not scared of that last statement either. some people look at that as him giving hints of linear game play. But what if he means that there is so much content and things to do, u never really have to go looking for it? What if fun is everywhere no matter what u want to do??

    image

  • ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912
    Originally posted by MisterZebub


    ::intentionally misreads the OPs topic::
    DUAL WIELD STARSHIPS!!?? I AM SO THERE!!!!
     
     

     

    LOL XD

    People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

  • Wookiee6648Wookiee6648 Member Posts: 131
    Originally posted by maniacfox


    It's interesting to see an MMO developer say that they are seriously looking to compete with WoW. A lot of MMO developers at the moment either dodge that question or just say that WoW is such a monster that they'd be happy to get a fraction of it's subscribers. Go BioWare!

     

    Well with Star Wars and SW Knights of the old Republic fan base they do have a shot at it.   But that is if they can deliver a good game, with Biowares past success in the SW universe and other games I don't see that as a problem.

  • ShocklordShocklord Member Posts: 8

     Hey Deacon,you always have some good bits of info on SWTOR etc..Just wondering where your getting the 'HINT' pertaining to the spaceship content...Was it based on the ships in the footage? The ones resembled a TIE fighter at the very end of the clip...Just wondering what your take on it is/was....thanx

  • TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627
    Originally posted by DarkPony


    Can't say I agree with these final lines of the interview AT ALL;
    "Most importantly, you never want people to have to look for fun. People want to be guided - they don't want to have to find the fun."
    edit: In my mind the lines should have been:
     "Most importantly, we never want people to have to look for fun. The kind of players we aim for want to be guided - they don't want to have to find the fun."

     

    That is why I am thinking SW:ToR will play a lot like Guild Wars.   Centralized zones(gathering points for players) where you'll basically meet up and then go into instances to do missons.   :(

  • Wookiee6648Wookiee6648 Member Posts: 131
    That is why I am thinking SW:ToR will play a lot like Guild Wars.   Centralized zones(gathering points for players) where you'll basically meet up and then go into instances to do missons.   :(

     

    From what I read it is nothing like that.

  • SlytheSlythe Member UncommonPosts: 952
    Originally posted by DeaconX 
    As for the last statement, I totally agree.  That's why I want a 'THEMEBOX' or 'SANDPARK' MMORPG with TOR.  When you want to focus on story, you kind of need that theme park train tracks guided stuff.  But I want a lot of freedom to go about my own way and find my own side quests, explore the heck out of planets and space in regions that don't really have to do with any of my actual quests...

    I hate to say it but I don't think that's what you're going to get. From everything I've looked at and checked into, it's going to be more like Guild Wars. I really hope that it isn't but all signs (at least so far) have pointed to it. Just my opinion, of course.

    And the assumption that most players don't want to "look for the fun" just upsets me even more.

  • monothmonoth Member Posts: 551
    Originally posted by Elikal

    Originally posted by Obee


    Mario is going to be in it?  Awesome!
     
     

     

    Lol, yeah my first though. Ok, kinda glad to know some other ppl than me have "odd thinking".  XD

     

    Anywho... GREAT article. I officially creamed my pants, lol. Seriously, so far it reads all wonderful. Ok, guided experience sounds odd, but in these days we can't make ANOTHER EQ, Vanguard tried and see where that led to.

    Also nice to see them have the guts to just answer to the "do you want to beat WOW" question sincerly, heh. GO GO GO, Bioware! ^^

    I'm pretty sure what he means by guided experience will be the story telling quests.  The game should play like KOTOR and Mass Effect except with a more open ended experience.  I imagine the community and other aspects of the game will be more of a sandbox experience with pvp thrown in.    Thats how I view it anyways

Sign In or Register to comment.