Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Could this be our future??

OuchmuchOuchmuch Member Posts: 340

I have seen our future and boy does it look  ridiculous www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,25361297-7583,00.html

both the US and Canada have already started down that road though here in Canada it is still focused on a very specific group of people network.nationalpost.com/np/blogs/fullcomment/archive/2008/12/19/national-post-editorial-board-the-overt-bias-of-canada-s-chrc-thought-police.aspx  , will be interesting to see just how far we end up going or if we finally decide at some point that enough is enough.

Comments

• clwoodsclwoods Member Posts: 625

"The thought police would get him just the same. He had committed--would have committed, even if he had never set pen to paper--the essential crime that contained all others in itself. Thoughtcrime, they called it. Thoughtcrime was not a thing that could be concealed forever. You might dodge successfully for a while, even for years, but sooner or later they were bound to get you."

- George Orwell, 1984

"People simply disappeared, always during the night. Your name was removed from the registers, every record of everything you had ever done was wiped out, your one-time existence was denied and then forgotten. You were abolished, annihilated: vaporized was the usual word."

- George Orwell, 1984

"Thoughtcrime does not entail death: thoughtcrime is death."

- George Orwell, 1984

"And if all others accepted the lie which the Party imposed—if all records told the same tale—then the lie passed into history and became truth. 'Who controls the past' ran the Party slogan, 'controls the future: who controls the present controls the past.'"

- George Orwell, 1984

"From where Winston stood it was just possible to read, picked out on its white face in elegant lettering, the three slogans of the Party:

WAR IS PEACE

FREEDOM IS SLAVERY

IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH."

- George Orwell, 1984

"He gazed up at the enormous face. Forty years it had taken him to learn what kind of smile was hidden beneath the dark moustache. O cruel, needless misunderstanding! O stubborn, self-willed exile from the loving breast! Two gin-scented tears trickled down the sides of his nose. But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Big Brother."

- George Orwell, 1984

• daeandordaeandor Member UncommonPosts: 2,695

Time will tell.  If I had time, I'd look at some of the hate crime laws here in the US in more detail, but I'd wager that some of them are already pushing in the direction seen in your examples.

• BigdavoBigdavo Member UncommonPosts: 1,863

Great book, 1984.

O_o o_O

• NeanderthalNeanderthal Member RarePosts: 1,861

Dang, that is some crazy stuff. 

The way the left wingers operate...it's almost like a cartoon thing.  Two guys are facing each other talking and the left winger points behind the other guy with a startled expression and shouts, "Oh my God!  Is that Hitler sneaking up behind you!"  And when the other guy turns to look the left winger marches his own version of Hitler in from the other direction.

• PrecusorPrecusor Member UncommonPosts: 3,589

England with the EU is going down the crapper if nothing is done.

• clwoodsclwoods Member Posts: 625
    Originally posted by Neanderthal

Dang, that is some crazy stuff. 
    The way the left wingers operate...it's almost like a cartoon thing.  Two guys are facing each other talking and the left winger points behind the other guy with a startled expression and shouts, "Oh my God!  Is that Hitler sneaking up behind you!"  And when the other guy turns to look the left winger marches his own version of Hitler in from the other direction.

Can we have a conversation on this board without it descending to this?

Please?