Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

My time in AoC.

slim26slim26 Member UncommonPosts: 645

When the Dev of Age of Conan first started to show there MMO on the game channel I was amaze but although I had my doubts, I was worried that they may release the game to soon due to people wanting it badly and so they did. So me and my brother got ready and headed out to the local mall game store, we was in there for hours debating between WoW and AoC and our choices where World of Warcraft due to my doubts.

As people started playing there new copies of AoC days pass and right away people was disappointed of the game due to all the bugs and glitches, what a shocker. I stayed on it, reading about AoC of the months it has been release and nothing was changing but I did not lose hope! then out of nowhere this huge patch for AoC was release...I could not even read it all, everyone on the forums where happy and patching and I just knew this patch would fix the problems that hurted AoC fan base. So instead of going and buying AoC I decided to use the trial version and had to wait just like everyone else patching and that was a long angry wait. Once it was done I took a deep breath... open the Hyborian gates and went in and I enjoyed every bit of my time in AoC and will buy it and play it for a long time. I now see less problems being posted on the forums older players starting to come back more and more new people are entering, now Hyborian is growing happly.

So now I rate it.

7/10 I enjoy it more than WoW or any othere MMO to date, don't get me wrong WoW is a good MMO.

9/10 Graphics are amazing for an MMO and the best for now.

8/10 Combat is dangerous grusome fun but can use some tweaking.

9/10 New solo play system is great.

9/10 Starting town is fun and funny. by seeing new players first entering Tortage in underwear holding sometype of rusted sword or some beast leg bone as a blunt weapon is very funny to me cause they look so epic.

10/10 The open world after first city was jaw dropping amazing view and exploration.

So yes AoC is a big 10 in my book. But I hate that my trial ended right when I got my new skill for my assassin.

Comments

• UnfinishedUnfinished Member Posts: 881

Even buggy and broken everyone loved the begining.

it was 30, 60, 90 days latter that everyone got bored / frustrated and left. Even the people who crawled to the level cap at a snail's pace are now leaving as well.

Enjoy it while it's fresh and fun. And do yourself a huge favor and shop around when buying the retail box, you can find it for $5 in a lot of places (and the supposedly sold out limited issue Collector's Edition can still be found for $10), also Game Time Cards can be found for 50% of their face value and lower.

• KrewelKrewel Member Posts: 390

For crying out loud, do not evaluate the game upon seeing trial or the Tortage area, or for that matter without seeing the endgame. When will people ever learn?

• slim26slim26 Member UncommonPosts: 645

Look... the game is being corrected now and I enjoy it. Yes i have seen more than just Tortage and don't care about end game "it's optional to me" but my level cap "I am damn near level 32" Do you guys even see what work has been done to AoC now? do you even care?

Originally posted by Unfinished

Even buggy and broken everyone loved the begining.
    it was 30, 60, 90 days latter that everyone got bored / frustrated and left. Even the people who crawled to the level cap at a snail's pace are now leaving as well.
    Enjoy it while it's fresh and fun. And do yourself a huge favor and shop around when buying the retail box, you can find it for $5 in a lot of places (and the supposedly sold out limited issue Collector's Edition can still be found for $10), also Game Time Cards can be found for 50% of their face value and lower.

Wow they really did fuck up by releasing AoC like that but it is working fine now. So why not come back? come back to the game we dreamed about and help the Dev of AoC make it even better.

• MargulisMargulis Member CommonPosts: 1,614

No offense op but reviewing a game based on a trial is pretty useless.

So if they added endgame, will you come back? what if you beat that endgame, will you quit and want another endgame?

Originally posted by Margulis

OK what is this, what the hell is wrong with AoC that I can not notice while playing the trial? even after that huge patch of dedicated care for AoC for us, I am sure it was hell fixing all that shit. Are you people in AoC now or still going by how it was release?

While Age of Conan has had sort of a bad rep for being buggy since launch, Funcom has fixed a majority of the bugs. Supposedly they say they have even fixed the performance problem with guild sieges, but I can't confirm since I haven't siege'd since patch. All in all your going to have more fun with it than WoW or Warhammer because of the innovative combat system. The graphics are also beautiful and are only currently DX9. The next major patch will bring DX10 and more end-game content. Just make sure that your computer can run it.

• komobokomobo Member Posts: 144

How much are you getting paid? Also, where do I apply?

* Waves at Pushkina *

Originally posted by komobo

How much are you getting paid? Also, where do I apply?
    nothing, what are you asking me? is it because i am telling people how great Age of Conan is now!?

• UnfinishedUnfinished Member Posts: 881

Not to break yer balls Slim, but as a general rule, most folks usually wait for at least one  reply before making their next post in the thread, otherwise it makes it look like you are talking to yourself.

It's nice you are enjoying the game, but I am curious, why are you so concerned that the rest of us come back to AoC?

• wartywarty Member Posts: 461

doesnt sound like a shill at all. seriously this is a poor attempt at whatevr the fuck it is you're trying to do. stop contradicting yourself. trial? but youve sieged. right

Playing polished, lag free, feature complete games is carebear. Whining about a game you hate but still play is hardcore man!

Not to break yer balls Slim, but as a general rule, most folks usually wait for at least one  reply before making their next post in the thread, otherwise it makes it look like you are talking to yourself.
    It's nice you are enjoying the game, but I am curious, why are you so concerned that the rest of us come back to AoC?

Good question. I really have no idea.... I am just chating nothing else to do at this time and my bad for posting before reply.

Back to this question now that i thought about it....well I am not trying to get old players to come back it's you all choice to do so but I was just saying the game is running much better now but you guys tells me not to jugde by trial but I have seen a lot during my trial time for my level 32, what I suppose to see later on in AoC that will make me think other about this game? that is what I am curious about.

Trust me, I did this same shit for Matrix Online cause I believe it can be saved.

• dhayes68dhayes68 Member UncommonPosts: 1,388
    Originally posted by slim26

Originally posted by Margulis

OK what is this, what the hell is wrong with AoC that I can not notice while playing the trial? even after that huge patch of dedicated care for AoC for us, I am sure it was hell fixing all that shit. Are you people in AoC now or still going by how it was release?

If you really want to know just read the forums. Bottom line though the first 20 levels in tortage is not what the rest of the game is like. And if you don't know that one basic fact, you're really in no position to judge the game and most people will dismiss what you have to say just because of that. 

• dhayes68dhayes68 Member UncommonPosts: 1,388
    Originally posted by slim26

Good question. I really have no idea.... I am just chating nothing else to do at this time and my bad for posting before reply.

Back to this question now that i thought about it....well I am not trying to get old players to come back it's you all choice to do so but I was just saying the game is running much better now but you guys tells me not to jugde by trial but I have seen a lot during my trial time for my level 32, what I suppose to see later on in AoC that will make me think other about this game? that is what I am curious about.

Trust me, I did this same shit for Matrix Online cause I believe it can be saved.

I have some bad news for you...

• finaticdfinaticd Member Posts: 843

Yay!!! Let's rate the game on the first 5% of it that was designed to boost ratings. Yay!!!!!

One thing to point out, WoW, War, EQ2, etc have much more going on during the way to level cap...more quests, areas, dungeans or PQs in Wars case.  I'm still not impressed with AoC, the game needed a huge overhaul on combat and game mechanics and it never got to where it needed...it looks like it is falling back down on X fire so it is probably to late to salvage this game esp with the reputation, gamers have long memories...that is why we drool over franchises that havn't been seen in 10 years, like fallout 3.

Funcom has reviewed all of its assets relevant for
    impairment testing. This process has led to
    recognition of an impairment loss of around
    3,1 MUSD for Age of Conan due to a decrease in
    numbers of subscribers for the game. Funcom Q4 10 report.
    http://forums.ageofconan.com/showpost.php?p=2926123&postcount=7 500 mains/alts on Tyranny in past 30 days - instead of merge servers let's open a new PvP server, again! http://forums-eu.ageofconan.com/showthread.php?t=106427

• S1GNALS1GNAL Member Posts: 366

Thanks, but no thanks. I will never return to AoC as long as Funcom is in charge of it. The lies, scam, lack of quick hotfix exploits and banning exploit reporters etcetc..

• haggus71haggus71 Member Posts: 254

The game's numbers have stabilized. Saying 9/10 have left the game is total BS. They cut the number of servers because they prepared for more people than they got, then adjusted when they realized their goof. I tried the game a few months ago, and there were more than just three servers for NA. A testimony is one thing. Shoveling manure just devalues others' opinions.

• eddieg50eddieg50 Member UncommonPosts: 1,809

As a casual player I must say that I enjoy AOC ,  I have an guardian at lvl 27 and a ranger at 25, I play on an open world PvP server and it brings with it just enough tension to make it fun.  Yes I have played Lotro and eq2 and wow , eve, and some others with there boring combat system and in many cases (lotro and vanguard exclude) poor graphics.  I get a kick when someone says the crafting on such and such game is so great , yea the fishing is prob good to but what are you kidding-crafting and fishing if that is the highlight of your day then get a life please!  I dont plan to hit the lvl cap for a good year so that is not a concern with me , I just cant imagine what peoples expectations were for this game?

• HalandirHalandir Member UncommonPosts: 773

Some of us "haters" still hope that AoC evolves into what was originally portrayed by Funcom. Even if they never succeed in providing all the the things they "talked about" that does not mean all us "haters" hope they just die etc...

Yes Funcom lied, repeatedly,  around launch (yes I am willing to take the "definition of a lie" debate once more) BUT: Even if I (personally - as a single person)  have serious doubts about anything coming from Funcom I really do hope they do succeed with AoC... Simply because ANY mmorpg failure hurts the entire mmorpg genre. (Less financial belief = less projects = very few projects tries to innovate!)

For some specifc, very well written thoughts: Please read what "Haggus71" posted!

We dont need casuals in our games!!! Errm... Well we DO need casuals to fund and populate our games - But the games should be all about "hardcore" because: We dont need casuals in our games!!!
    (repeat ad infinitum)

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

This has been done like a bazillion times already. AOC may be improved but it will never reach the max potential it should have.  I give Funcom a ton of credit for fixing up the game but unfortunately it is too late because there will be better polished mmos coming our way soon.

Originally posted by SaintViktor

This has been done like a bazillion times already. AOC may be improved but it will never reach the max potential it should have.  I give Funcom a ton of credit for fixing up the game but unfortunately it is too late because there will be better polished mmos coming our way soon.

Better than AoC? I understand why so many old players are angry about how the Dev of AoC ran there game back in the day, I understand you all 100% but for me... I believe it is not to late for fixing, just look at this game man it's to damn good in every way point blank! FC would be stupid as hell to let AoC fall like bird drops and that won't happen.

Another reason why it is not getting as much rep as WoW is because  of high systen requirments to play it, that is one of the biggest problems right now and even bigger when dx10 version hit and that version look unblieveable amazing!

• AtomicZombieAtomicZombie Member Posts: 76

Reminder:  The topic at hand is this player's views based on his current experience.

If there is a desire to speak at length about each others' motives, about "trends" or similarities between any group of users; use the official channels in place.

This thread is not the place for it.

~AtomicZombie

On the whole human beings want to be good, but not too good, and not quite all the time.

• finaticdfinaticd Member Posts: 843
    Originally posted by haggus71

The game's numbers have stabilized. Saying 9/10 have left the game is total BS. They cut the number of servers because they prepared for more people than they got, then adjusted when they realized their goof. I tried the game a few months ago, and there were more than just three servers for NA. A testimony is one thing. Shoveling manure just devalues others' opinions.

Sorry, I just need to make a correction as this reproached my character.If you like the low level experiences great.

Your statement is false and not well researched. Remember all but three servers were deserted prior to mergers and at release many servers were at capacity. There are three medium/low population servers now with reasonable populations in North America...go play on the others, but I would consider servers with 100 or so people on at peak empty, esp when you have to factor in 80 levels.  Players complain about the current day empty servers all the time and censuses reported sub 100- 200 players on many servers that used to be full prior to mergers.  So your statements are wrong.

950,000 or so boxes sold, population of 75k players over 6 servers populated makes sense at 10k people per server and was backed up by Q4-Q1 revenue.

950,000 / 75,000 = 8% so if the numbers are optomistic better it would be 10% left, which is 9/10.

Funcom has reviewed all of its assets relevant for
    impairment testing. This process has led to
    recognition of an impairment loss of around
    3,1 MUSD for Age of Conan due to a decrease in
    numbers of subscribers for the game. Funcom Q4 10 report.
    http://forums.ageofconan.com/showpost.php?p=2926123&postcount=7 500 mains/alts on Tyranny in past 30 days - instead of merge servers let's open a new PvP server, again! http://forums-eu.ageofconan.com/showthread.php?t=106427

• baconator616baconator616 Member Posts: 23

Originally posted by finaticd

Originally posted by haggus71

Sorry, I just need to make a correction as this reproached my character.If you like the low level experiences great.
    Your statement is false and not well researched. Remember all but three servers were deserted prior to mergers and at release many servers were at capacity. There are three medium/low population servers now with reasonable populations in North America...go play on the others, but I would consider servers with 100 or so people on at peak empty, esp when you have to factor in 80 levels. Players complain about the current day empty servers all the time and censuses reported sub 100- 200 players on many servers that used to be full prior to mergers. So your statements are wrong.

950,000 or so boxes sold, population of 75k players over 6 servers populated makes sense at 10k people per server and was backed up by Q4-Q1 revenue.
    950,000 / 75,000 = 8% so if the numbers are optomistic better it would be 10% left, which is 9/10.

75k players? by my math form their quarterly it's probably in the area 150k, expected by their guidance to fall to between 135K and 90k.

You've WAY underestimated