Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Thinking about playing =)

x0eclipsex0eclipse Member UncommonPosts: 32

Hey so im thinking about playing WoW. I havent really played that many MMOs; Mostly just FPS' like FarCry, Halo, CS:S and AA. I did play PWI but F2P games lack content and its really just all one big gimmick to get you to spend money. Anyways, ive never played before so i have a few questions: Do i need to buy the game discs in order to play or is there a digital download available? (cba with driving 80 miles for the discs)  How is the PvP? Like what is the options in terms of pvp? How many dungeons, raids, instances , etc are there? 

Comments

• lornphoenixlornphoenix Member Posts: 993

Yea you can download the client off the main site.

The PvP in WoW is OK, and is kinda fun.

I hear there are games with better PvP... but I've never played any of them long enough to judge for myself.

Options for PvP...

There is real world (non-instanced) PvP ... but really this doesn't happen as often as you would think.

Almost never happens on normal servers... cept the fighting for control of something. (Towers in Terrokar, Halaa, and Wintergrasp)

Arenas. 2on2/3on3/5on5 Galdiator style PvP

Battlegrounds. Not to different from FPS games... each one has a set objective.

WSG: CTF

AB: Cap and Hold

AV: Kill the NPC Leader or make the other side run out of reenforcements (there more to this, but that is the basics)

EotS: Hybrid Cap and Hold/CTF

I haven't tryied this newest one... Staind of the Ancients... so I have no clue how it works.

Not many people run the low level dungeon anymore.

When you get to Northrend you by able to find more groups for the dungeons there.

In WOLTK there are 5 Level 80 raid dungeons (one being a classic raid dungeon retooled with the 10/25 raid system)

In Northrend there are 12 regular dungeons.

• madeuxmadeux Member Posts: 1,786
    Originally posted by x0eclipse

Hey so im thinking about playing WoW. I havent really played that many MMOs; Mostly just FPS' like FarCry, Halo, CS:S and AA. I did play PWI but F2P games lack content and its really just all one big gimmick to get you to spend money. Anyways, ive never played before so i have a few questions: Do i need to buy the game discs in order to play or is there a digital download available? (cba with driving 80 miles for the discs)  How is the PvP? Like what is the options in terms of pvp? How many dungeons, raids, instances , etc are there? 

When I played WoW, I was a PvP wh0re.  I'd have to recommend playing a Warlock, Demonology Spec :)

• x0eclipsex0eclipse Member UncommonPosts: 32

So i just download the trial client and when im ready get a subscription and im set? or do i have to pay for each expansion?

• abyss610abyss610 Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,131

So i just download the trial client and when im ready get a subscription and im set? or do i have to pay for each expansion?

yeah you'll have to buy each expansion and the game itself if you decide to stick with it

• lornphoenixlornphoenix Member Posts: 993

you have pay for each xpac... tho it maybe cheaper to order off some other retail website..

you sometime get it for less then the main website.

• cyan85cyan85 Member UncommonPosts: 59

PvP comes in three flavors in WoW:

• Battlegrounds (BGs for short): These are large scale, mission driven maps involving many players. They are bracketed by level increments of 10. In other words, if you're level 16, you will be put into the 10-19 bracket. The other brackets are 20-29, 30-39, and so on up to 70-79, and finally 80. Make sure you're at the maximum level for your bracket and have the best gear and enchants (i.e. make a twink) if you want to enter the low level BGs, especially the 10-19 and 20-29 brackets.
    • Arenas: These are end game PvP death matches where players fight each other in 2v2, 3v3, or 5v5 formats. The gear rewards from arenas are the best in the game, provided of course you can maintain a good rating.
    • World PvP: Basically fighting anyone anywhere in the non-instanced game world. Lake Wintergrasp is a world BG in Northrend for end game players. Blizzard did create world PvP goals in many of the zones, but they're not as popular as LWG. You can fight anyone in world PvP if you and your opponent are flagged. On PvP servers everyone is flagged at all times if they're in contested territories, which is most of the game world. Even on a PvE server you can start fights by killing the NPCs of towns belonging to the opposite faction or walking around flagged.

If you're serious about PvP I highly recommend rolling a melee character (rogue, warrior, death knight, paladin) as the sheer mechanics of the game always gimp casters and ranged damage.  You can also roll a healer (druid, priest, shaman), but be warned: healing is probably the ONLY thing you will be doing come end game PvP if you use a class capable of healing.

• x0eclipsex0eclipse Member UncommonPosts: 32

Thanks for the solid answers everyone. I am thouroughly enjoying the game atm. Very in depth storyline (i read most of the lore) fun quests. I cant wait to leave the elf starting area and begin to explore the rest of the world!

My only complaints are: The community. Alot of children, kind of annoying but im sure ill be able to over look it when i find a good guild. Also, the horde seems composed of a bunvh of pre-pubscent 12 year olds. Seriously, i see "____ is Under Attack!" Every fking 10 minutes, and its always some lvl 80 death night or paladin in shadowglen killing all the flagged lvl 5's and saying "lololol newbz get some skillz own all j00 lolol". The only good part is anytime that happens i just stealth up and get some HK's off the random lvl 5-20's that like to come xD.

P.S: Anyone know a mature PvP server to play? Suggestions?