Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So how much longer does Vanguard have if...

2»

Comments

• OrphesOrphes Member UncommonPosts: 3,039
    Originally posted by Zippy

Originally posted by Orphes

4 total devs left.  But yes that is better than last summer when they opnly had Sillius and Tiraslee. 

But Ikik, for instance, was there the last summer. As far as I know he have been with the team since Sigil. What I am getting at is that we don't know the headcount of the team.

No he was not.  N ot exactly sure the date.  Whther fall or late summer when he started.  Cylus left in April a week before raid testing was supposed to start on CoB.  CoB then got indefinately shelved when VG was down to 1 content dev.

But the total nummber of devs does not come from conjecture but from people that actively speak to the devs on a daily basis.  The guilds that raid tested APW with Avarem and Tiraslee all had 4-5 class leads who all kept and still keep in contact witht he devs on a daily basis.  Well maybe less so now as SOE has somewhat shut down communication with many fo the top guilds.  But almost any top guild can tell you that the 4 total devs is accurate.  I have worked and talked extensively with Tiraslee, IKik and Sillius and the old time devs that are sadly gone.  I can tell you the number is accurate.

I understand your desire is to say something positive about the game.  There is a lot of good to say about VG.  But on the other hand there is a lot of bad which is SOE and how they have been starving the game.  It is not the devs fault.  I have a great deal of respect fopr the silly hours they work and the love they have put into the game.  But you cannot run a MMO on 4 devs and 10-12 employees and put out much quality content.

The VG forums timeline when reviewing old posts is abit scewed.

But as for Ikik he do have presence on the forum and have had that since 2007.

http://forums.station.sony.com/vg/posts/list.m?start=0&topic_id=23525&#top

-----

12/08/2007 02:33:15

Subject: Re:Test Server Up - 12/7/07 10:00pm PST

Ikik

Developer

The new COTH spell for healers can be cast from anywhere in the dungeon, not just the portals.

The normal COTH spells will still work at the portals from what I understand.

Report this post to a moderator

-----

My point in refering this post from Ikik. Is when you say he joined the team 1 year ago and one found that to be incorrect one also can think that your knowledge about the 4 devs also is not correct. And that there also have been statements that current team on Vanguard is from Sigil it would mean that Ikik have been there from start.

That Vanguard only have 4 devs have been voiced about over a year now, maybe it have been talked about as far back as the move to the SOE offices.

I'm so broke. I can't even pay attention.
    "You have the right not to be killed"

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945
    Before they moved was the team consistent of somewhere around 50%(?) of the Sigil team, with the move they laid of more. But what I don't know what you are saying at the time of the move.

Those 18-20 people was that the number before or after the move?
    And what was the number refered to how many of the team was let go when that moved happened.

As I recall it, soe only "rehired" 54 people from the sigil team when sigil went solvent.  The first action SOE took was to move 6 of the most experienced members away from vanguard to other projects.  

There was another round of cuts, if I recall right, took place along with the move to the soe offices.  Only certain people where "invited" to make the move. That was around the time the number was put to 18-20, but it is hard to tell since the team was now part of a larger organization.

Not that it really matters, because it is pretty clear the team is far to small to sufficiently operate a game of this size.  Just read the last producer letter and read how dissassociated the answers are to the game and how often "we don't have resources for that" is the curt answer. 

Seeing mxo die removes the comfort blanket that station pass life support offered to any soe game.  There is a new possibility that should not be ignored and sadly vanguard has all the signs of a prospect. 

• HoobleyHoobley Member Posts: 421
    Originally posted by Daffid011

Seeing mxo die removes the comfort blanket that station pass life support offered to any soe game.  There is a new possibility that should not be ignored and sadly vanguard has all the signs of a prospect. 

It's not out of the question for sure, who knows what the big wigs at SoE are thinking?

My only hope would be that if Vanguard were to suffer the same fate as MxO that someone out there with the dollars would see the potential and make SOE an offer on it.

Just have to wait and see.

• ZippyZippy Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,412

4 total devs left.  But yes that is better than last summer when they opnly had Sillius and Tiraslee. 

But Ikik, for instance, was there the last summer. As far as I know he have been with the team since Sigil. What I am getting at is that we don't know the headcount of the team.

No he was not.  N ot exactly sure the date.  Whther fall or late summer when he started.  Cylus left in April a week before raid testing was supposed to start on CoB.  CoB then got indefinately shelved when VG was down to 1 content dev.

But the total nummber of devs does not come from conjecture but from people that actively speak to the devs on a daily basis.  The guilds that raid tested APW with Avarem and Tiraslee all had 4-5 class leads who all kept and still keep in contact witht he devs on a daily basis.  Well maybe less so now as SOE has somewhat shut down communication with many fo the top guilds.  But almost any top guild can tell you that the 4 total devs is accurate.  I have worked and talked extensively with Tiraslee, IKik and Sillius and the old time devs that are sadly gone.  I can tell you the number is accurate.

I understand your desire is to say something positive about the game.  There is a lot of good to say about VG.  But on the other hand there is a lot of bad which is SOE and how they have been starving the game.  It is not the devs fault.  I have a great deal of respect fopr the silly hours they work and the love they have put into the game.  But you cannot run a MMO on 4 devs and 10-12 employees and put out much quality content.

-----

Ikik

Developer

The new COTH spell for healers can be cast from anywhere in the dungeon, not just the portals.

-----

My point in refering this post from Ikik. Is when you say he joined the team 1 year ago and one found that to be incorrect one also can think that your knowledge about the 4 devs also is not correct. And that there also have been statements that current team on Vanguard is from Sigil it would mean that Ikik have been there from start.

That Vanguard only have 4 devs have been voiced about over a year now, maybe it have been talked about as far back as the move to the SOE offices.

He was not a dev until last year.  He may have been an intern or a programmer (coder) as he lists in his signature on your post but he was not a paid dev until last year. 

If you are truly interested I am sure you can pm Ikik and ask him.

• OrphesOrphes Member UncommonPosts: 3,039

Shure, I see no reason to as why he would give that away to a random guy from the internets though.

I'm so broke. I can't even pay attention.
    "You have the right not to be killed"

• GrestehGresteh Member Posts: 146

-----

Ikik

Developer

-----

He was not a dev until last year.  He may have been an intern or a programmer (coder) as he lists in his signature on your post but he was not a paid dev until last year. 

He is still a programmer, but he designed Bridge of Destiny at home in his spare time. That's the only thing he has designed.

• csthaocsthao Member UncommonPosts: 1,121

I did notice they offered 2 months free play  to Matrix Online players to all SOE games except Vanguard.  That might be a hint as to Vanguard's future or just be mroe evidence of how much does SOE truly hates Vanguard and does not want potential EQ2 players playing VG.

Actually SoE did open up veteran accounts just recently. Go give it a try, you might like it.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by shakermaker0

lol how many posts like this over the last 2 years has Vanguard had?

Quite a few but things are changing with SOE killing of Matrix. Before they were just running any game no matter of how small the profit was, today things are different.

My hope is still that they remake the game and release it with a new name and a lot more content. I wouldnt even mind if they merged Vanguard and EQ2 together, VGs problem is that it have very little content while EQ2s problem is zooning, no flying mounts and so on. But that ain't going to happen of course.

But they might actually close it down now, I never believed that any time the last 2 years but with Sonys new boss and many new upcoming games they might just do it. Let's hope not.

• XeonsoldierXeonsoldier Member Posts: 190

In my opinion, Vanguard can go on for however long it likes. It is really up to the patient of the people. That is the big thing that has kept this game afloat in the first place. Vanguard has if not the most patient community I have ever been involved with. But then again, the nature of the community are more older players so quite possibly leads up why the rate of development is considered "acceptable". This is why I said the patience of the community is what will keep Vanguard going. Now along with the patience comes the decisions made by the developers. Lets take Pantheon for instance which was launched 2 weeks ago:

Pantheon was highly anticipated as it was going to bring a bunch of new features to the game (Epic weapons, level cap increase, new spells, spellcrafting, new items and quests). Now this all sounds great on paper, but the implementation has always been a problem for this game since day one. Now Pantheon was announced last Fanfaire but didn't begin development until January (according to Silius). 3.5 Months was the told duration by the developers to get this patch out. The patch is launched and the reception on it was fairly mediocre as all the other patches were. Good thing about it is that they have improved on getting patches out and the servers getting stabled. The first level 51s were within 12 hours of the patch launched and the first 52 was on the 4th day. To be honest, the patch was going much smoother than most had expected, well atleast for me. The downside of the patch started appearing with the experience nerf in all old-world zones to slow down progression of all the players (they said they were giving too much exp to cover up). The exp nerf was only the first downside. The second downside was the intentional cockblock added to the pantheon Trial (Gloriann) to stop players from achieving tier 2 status. There are only 4 players worldwide who completed the trials before the block was put in. This was because nothing tier 2 even works (signs of a rushed patch).

meh i have to run...finish this later