Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Let it be known that I thought of this first!

2»

Comments

• XemousXemous Member Posts: 255
    Originally posted by Teala

OK know how we have forums and how we type messages and leave them for people to read...like this one.  Well what if...what if...instead of typing out our messages we spoke our messages!  Yea...wouldn't that be killer!   This would be awesome....not only for us but think of blind people.   Then they could participate.   Yeah!  See....they could mouse over the screen and when their mouse hits a message they just click it and the message is played.  If they wish to reply they just scroll down to the bottom of the page until they hear the word, "Reply" and then they can record their message.
    No more grammatically gnarled post from people like me...just our spoken words!   Now tell me that wouldn't rock your socks! 
    Huh...huh...come on...you know you'd like it...

Consider this my patent pending ideal!  LMAO!

You know how many personal attacks people would get because of their voice?  Its the internet.

• devilisciousdeviliscious Member UncommonPosts: 4,359
    Originally posted by Xemous

Originally posted by Teala

OK know how we have forums and how we type messages and leave them for people to read...like this one.  Well what if...what if...instead of typing out our messages we spoke our messages!  Yea...wouldn't that be killer!   This would be awesome....not only for us but think of blind people.   Then they could participate.   Yeah!  See....they could mouse over the screen and when their mouse hits a message they just click it and the message is played.  If they wish to reply they just scroll down to the bottom of the page until they hear the word, "Reply" and then they can record their message.
    No more grammatically gnarled post from people like me...just our spoken words!   Now tell me that wouldn't rock your socks! 
    Huh...huh...come on...you know you'd like it...

Consider this my patent pending ideal!  LMAO!

You know how many personal attacks people would get because of their voice?  Its the internet.

LOL! I have used voice for years, never had that happen. It would teach the kiddos a lesson for playing on the internet. The only people I have ever heard made fun of were little kids that shouldn;t be online in the first place.  That makes the idea all the better!

• Rayx0rRayx0r Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,902

its a good idea if more people were inclined to use voice chat.  Im sure you'd end up with a bunch of assholes who wouldnt play along and refusing to use voice chat responding to posts.  You'd have to come up with a new and insulting name for people who troll/flame using text only and not voice like ..well assholes would be a good name for starters.

“"If you want a picture of the future, imagine a robot foot stomping on a human face -- forever."
  • WickershamWickersham Member UncommonPosts: 2,379

What about people that speak with a thick accent?  What about people that have a speech impediment?  What about people that have an annoying voice?

The good thing about any written forum is that it has the potential to communicate thoughts without relying on the benefit of sexual attraction and I believe that that is a great thing to have today since, as found in other outlets, often times physical appeal is more important than appealing ideas.

"The liberties and resulting economic prosperity that YOU take for granted were granted by those "dead guys"

Originally posted by Wickersham

What about people that speak with a thick accent?  What about people that have a speech impediment?  What about people that have an annoying voice?
    The good thing about any written forum is that it has the potential to communicate thoughts without relying on the benefit of sexual attraction and I believe that that is a great thing to have today since, as found in other outlets, often times physical appeal is more important than appealing ideas.

WHat if what if? Is that not what people have been dealing with their entire lives? forums are not rpgs, in an rpg , yes they can pretend to be someone else, and yes in forums they might be expected to be more real.  Many people look past speach problems and hear thier words regardless. That is somethng that does not change. I do not see this as a reason to not have voice options. Sex appeal?!! are you kidding? a 500lb woman might sound sexy, but that does not mean she is.  we are not talking about a cam forum here, we are talking about the ability to talk instead of type, no biggie.  What is it about voices that you find intimidating? I mean, We talk to people everyday, I wouldn't think it that big of an issue. to me, it is just easier, not like I am going to to be turning guys on just because i speak .. geeze LMAO!

ooh yea baby talk politics to me that is sooo hawt! ROFL! welcome to the real world, people can speak without getting all "worked up."

Originally posted by deviliscious

WHat if what if? Is that not what people have been dealing with their entire lives? forums are not rpgs, in an rpg , yes they can pretend to be someone else, and yes in forums they might be expected to be more real.  Many people look past speach problems and hear thier words regardless. That is somethng that does not change. I do not see this as a reason to not have voice options. Sex appeal?!! are you kidding? a 500lb woman might sound sexy, but that does not mean she is.  we are not talking about a cam forum here, we are talking about the ability to talk instead of type, no biggie.  What is it about voices that you find intimidating? I mean, We talk to people everyday, I wouldn't think it that big of an issue. to me, it is just easier, not like I am going to to be turning guys on just because i speak .. geeze LMAO!

ooh yea baby talk politics to me that is sooo hawt! ROFL! welcome to the real world, people can speak without getting all "worked up."

That 500 lbs woman  will get more attention if she sounds sexy - she will also gain supporters and defenders to her ideas simply because she has a sexy voice and not because she is right.

I live in a world where tits and ass are used to sell me junk that I don't need including ideas.  I live in a world where sex is a commodity.  Turn on the radio and listen to the voices you hear...  do you notice something similar about all of those voices?  That's not a coincidence.  Turn on the TV and look at the faces you see... notice something similar about them all?  Open a magazine and look at the images of people...  then look outside your door and ask yourself if what you see in that magazine is reflective of what you see outside in the street.

Welcome to the real world as you put it?  Are you sure you're not living in an after school special where everybody is a unique little butterfly and all are treated equal dispite their handicaps or lesser physical attributes?

Forgive the lateness of this reply but I've been busy these past few days.

"The liberties and resulting economic prosperity that YOU take for granted were granted by those "dead guys"

That 500 lbs woman  will get more attention if she sounds sexy - she will also gain supporters and defenders to her ideas simply because she has a sexy voice and not because she is right.

I live in a world where tits and ass are used to sell me junk that I don't need including ideas.  I live in a world where sex is a commodity.  Turn on the radio and listen to the voices you hear...  do you notice something similar about all of those voices?  That's not a coincidence.  Turn on the TV and look at the faces you see... notice something similar about them all?  Open a magazine and look at the images of people...  then look outside your door and ask yourself if what you see in that magazine is reflective of what you see outside in the street.

Welcome to the real world as you put it?  Are you sure you're not living in an after school special where everybody is a unique little butterfly and all are treated equal dispite their handicaps or lesser physical attributes?

Every day we TALK to people around us. AT the store, clients in the office, when we answer the phone. hanging out with friends. This is NO different.  Being intimidated by someone speaking is a personal problem, I do not see anyone gaining any benefit from this other than saving their fingers the work, reducing corporal tunnel and arthritis. One of the problems with the internet as it is, is that many become " too " comfortable with limited social interaction, and lose the abilities to react normally in social situations.  We are not talking about plastering someones face all over magazines, or hiring them to be a radio DJ. We are talking about communicating with them via speach which has been around longer as a form of communication than typing to begin with.

I disagree that someone will gain support for their ideas simply because of their voice, that is a bit out there. People say stupid things all the time, and that does not change the content of what they have to say.   In the REAL world people talk to each other, trying to limit it because it makes you uncomfortable is a personal problem, and not a valid reason to impose your fears upon everyone else who would like to speak than type.  I believe typing should remain too, so that option will still be there for those who do not wish or are unable to speak, but we should enhance forums with the ability to do voice as well for those that wish to speak.  Just as you say many people are not as good at talking as they are at typing the reverse is also true. Many people are better Orators than typist and should have their options available as well.

• bmdevinebmdevine Member Posts: 429

Four pages of replies and no one has bothered to point out that focusing on blind people would ignore the deaf?  What's up with that?  I guess I thought of that first!  There are already computer accommodations for people who haven't lost 100% of their vision, including monitor settings.

Originally posted by bmdevine

Four pages of replies and no one has bothered to point out that focusing on blind people would ignore the deaf?  What's up with that?  I guess I thought of that first!  There are already computer accommodations for people who haven't lost 100% of their vision, including monitor settings.

Actually, I had thought about that, but chose to leave that arguement out of it. I refuse to exploit a handicapp to prove an arguement. 

Every day we TALK to people around us. AT the store, clients in the office, when we answer the phone. hanging out with friends. This is NO different.  Being intimidated by someone speaking is a personal problem, I do not see anyone gaining any benefit from this other than saving their fingers the work, reducing corporal tunnel and arthritis. One of the problems with the internet as it is, is that many become " too " comfortable with limited social interaction, and lose the abilities to react normally in social situations.  We are not talking about plastering someones face all over magazines, or hiring them to be a radio DJ. We are talking about communicating with them via speach which has been around longer as a form of communication than typing to begin with.

I disagree that someone will gain support for their ideas simply because of their voice, that is a bit out there. People say stupid things all the time, and that does not change the content of what they have to say.   In the REAL world people talk to each other, trying to limit it because it makes you uncomfortable is a personal problem, and not a valid reason to impose your fears upon everyone else who would like to speak than type.  I believe typing should remain too, so that option will still be there for those who do not wish or are unable to speak, but we should enhance forums with the ability to do voice as well for those that wish to speak.  Just as you say many people are not as good at talking as they are at typing the reverse is also true. Many people are better Orators than typist and should have their options available as well.

Some men will come to your defense and champion your cause simply because you're female or haven't you realized that yet?  Add attraction to that and you could say any stupid little thing and they'll persecute anybody that says so.

What I attempted to illustrate to you is that the radio DJs voice is not like that by coincidence which you seem to agree on  - now I'll ask you to tell me why - why is it that they are willing to pay a person money based on their speaking voice?  Why do they use that voice to sell you things?  Why don't they use just any random voice off the street?

The written word gives nobody an advantage - it's based solely on communicating thought without any external bias.  That's what I want and that's what I think is worth keeping.

• //\//\oo//\//\oo Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,767

Hell no. Bad idea. I wouldn't want anybody to be able to identify me, because the things I've posted would get me in trouble in real life.

Atheists in the south are what slave sympathizers were like back in the day.

This is a sequence of characters intended to produce some profound mental effect, but it has failed.