Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Tried the trial... Still Bug Ridden

I was a bit bored today and seen that there was a 14 day trial and decided to give it a go. Last time I played was a year or so ago with the flying deer promotion.

Upon creating a necro I logged in and went to set my ui bars up. First thing to great me was the overlapped bars that still had not been fixed. Dragged the auto attack icon to one of the bars and it vanished just like the old days. Fixed the ui issues and decided to just grind in the swamp to see how the combat system went.

First thing was that mobs seem to be hitting from what would be out of melee range when kiting them. Might be lag but was way to consistant.

Mobs were falling through the world. At least that is what it looked like to me. I followed a red mob as it went into some rocks and poof no mob.

I went for a swim crossing the water areas in the swamp and soon found myself under the world. Wow... Still not fixed.

Necro pet controls still messed up. Pet would not defend itself or me. This one really dissapointed me. Thought they would have this fixed by now. Unless of course its working as intended.

2 of the quests showed the turn in npc at the wrong location.

This game had so much potential and you would think after 2 years there would be a bit more polish. well back to LOTRO for me.

Reanim

Comments

• OrphesOrphes Member UncommonPosts: 3,039
    Originally posted by Reanim

I was a bit bored today and seen that there was a 14 day trial and decided to give it a go. Last time I played was a year or so ago with the flying deer promotion.
    Upon creating a necro I logged in and went to set my ui bars up. First thing to great me was the overlapped bars that still had not been fixed. Dragged the auto attack icon to one of the bars and it vanished just like the old days. Fixed the ui issues and decided to just grind in the swamp to see how the combat system went.
    First thing was that mobs seem to be hitting from what would be out of melee range when kiting them. Might be lag but was way to consistant.
    Mobs were falling through the world. At least that is what it looked like to me. I followed a red mob as it went into some rocks and poof no mob.
    I went for a swim crossing the water areas in the swamp and soon found myself under the world. Wow... Still not fixed.
    Necro pet controls still messed up. Pet would not defend itself or me. This one really dissapointed me. Thought they would have this fixed by now. Unless of course its working as intended.
    This game had so much potential and you would think after 2 years there would be a bit more polish. well back to LOTRO for me.
    Reanim

Tried the trial of LOTRO for the fifth time, still was the same game as on prerelease, it's a kid in costume. Anyway goodluck in lollipop land.

You see, I do not think that there is anyone expecting you to stop playing LOTRO if that is the game that you like the most.

I'm so broke. I can't even pay attention.
    "You have the right not to be killed"

• KatillaKatilla Member UncommonPosts: 829

i just did the trial last night, played a whole 2 days out of the 14 before reaching level 10 and not being able to leave the island kinda irked me, now im trying out EQ2 again lol

• HoobleyHoobley Member Posts: 421
    Originally posted by Katilla

i just did the trial last night, played a whole 2 days out of the 14 before reaching level 10 and not being able to leave the island kinda irked me, now im trying out EQ2 again lol

I think first time through, if you do aventuring, diplomacy, crafting and harvesting to level 10 (harvesting is capped at 120 or 124) it should take you longer than that.

I'm guessing you just did adventuring and played just one class.

For me, the purpose of the isle is to first, choose the race / class that is immediately appealing to you. Take that character through all the spheres as outlined above.

After that I think the trial time should be used to test other characters in the adventuring sphere and possibly other crafting professions (I wouldn't recommend diplo each time nor crafting once you've tried each of the types).

Then, select your favorite and complete the whole Isle with it, all spheres and with maxed out harvesting, Slappy's Whistle of course and a Tenby if you like that kind of fluff. Then you're fully prepared for the world.

Playing for a couple of days, doing adventuring and 'not being able to leave the Isle' and quitting to play another trial indicates that you just wanted 2 weeks of free content and never intended to play the game anyway.

Enjoy EQ2.

• WrenderWrender Member Posts: 1,386
    Originally posted by Joppari

Originally posted by Katilla

I think first time through, if you do aventuring, diplomacy, crafting and harvesting to level 10 (harvesting is capped at 120 or 124) it should take you longer than that.

I'm guessing you just did adventuring and played just one class.

For me, the purpose of the isle is to first, choose the race / class that is immediately appealing to you. Take that character through all the spheres as outlined above.

After that I think the trial time should be used to test other characters in the adventuring sphere and possibly other crafting professions (I wouldn't recommend diplo each time nor crafting once you've tried each of the types).

Then, select your favorite and complete the whole Isle with it, all spheres and with maxed out harvesting, Slappy's Whistle of course and a Tenby if you like that kind of fluff. Then you're fully prepared for the world.

Playing for a couple of days, doing adventuring and 'not being able to leave the Isle' and quitting to play another trial indicates that you just wanted 2 weeks of free content and never intended to play the game anyway.

Enjoy EQ2.

I doubt seriously that the OP even played at all. I have been playing steadly for like 3 months now and have not seen even 1 of the so called bugs he mentioned. If he did play he really must have a crappy computer indeed!!!

• Lucasw99Lucasw99 Member Posts: 13
    Originally posted by Wrender

I doubt seriously that the OP even played at all. I have been playing steadly for like 3 months now and have not seen even 1 of the so called bugs he mentioned. If he did play he really must have a crappy computer indeed!!!

Thats is probably one of the most retarded things I have read on the forum this week. I honestly have no idea where to start correcting you......

Firstly why would his computer specs have anything to do with him falling through the world ?

Just because you haven't seen the bug doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

Hell, I am well aware of trolls but why would he even make a topic if he hadn't even played at all.

• DevourDevour Member Posts: 902
    Originally posted by Lucasw99 
    Thats is probably one of the most retarded things I have read on the forum this week. I honestly have no idea where to start correcting you......

Firstly why would his computer specs have anything to do with him falling through the world ?
    Hell, I am well aware of trolls but why would he even make a topic if he hadn't even played at all.

People are still pretty pissy about Vanguard.

The only bug I've experienced so far is getting stuck by the Sun Village in a fence. /stuck yes and I was out. =D

• ZorgoZorgo Member UncommonPosts: 2,254

Is it even actually a 14 day trial? I thought that the trial island was free and had no time limit....could be wrong, too lazy to look it up.

• TarkaTarka Member Posts: 1,662

Although Sigil did mess it up in the end, I will give VG some recognition in that does have some elements that are missing from other games.  Its a shame that things turned out the way they did.

They missed the boat, and paid the price.  Personally I don't think I'll be returning to it.  I hope everyone who enjoys it stays with it for a while :)

It deserves that at least.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015
    Originally posted by Lucasw99

Originally posted by Wrender

I think he is referring to the lag when talking about the melee hitting him from afar.

Some of what the OP posts about rings true but from my experience it was very minimal.

for instance. I noticed the hotbar thing with regards to the icons but I figured out the fix for that. You have to be precise when placing them. Since that discovery I never had a problem.

I have on occassion had a melee mob hittnig me from what seemed a bit far for its range but didn't happen a lot and could be dealt with by just fighting the mob normally.

Never fell through the world. During the trial island I never saw a mob fall through the world. I did see a mob go through the world once outside and thought that was what they did since it was always one type of mob. however I just ignored it. Most of the mobs I encountered stayed on the world.

I wouldn't say it's a bug ridden mess. It has small issues and I describe the game as "creaky". I had no problems with the pet bar at all so that's a new one on me.

My thougth is that if one wants to insist that the bugs are horrid and rampant then I would say that it is highly selective as the game is extrmely playable with minimal but somewhat annoying bugs for me. Therefore others might also have the same experience.

For me I have yet to come across any game breaking bug. But I also know where Vanguard came from as far as polish and really see a considerable amount of work to make it better.

So sure, if an ocassional mob falling through the world will irk someone to death then by all means don't play Vanguard. I could offer that the mobs in LOTRO that go into "bugged mode" can be just as irksome.

But in my experience if one is a bit forgiving of such things (as I see them as minor) then Vanguard is really a jewel in the rough. It will probably always have some level of rough but it is certainly playable.

I'll also add that I never had the wrong turn in point for a quest but I have noticed that the little radar on the top doesn't always mark the area one should be heading for the quest. For me that was easy. I either didn't use it, looked on the map for the quest giver or just looked for him.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • boojiboyboojiboy Member UncommonPosts: 1,553

Reanim

• /reloadui fixes the UI.  It happens because your desktop and game resolutions are different.
    • I've leveled 2 toons in IoD and haven't fallen through the world or seen a mob fall through the world.  Sure it didn't return to it's spawn point?
    • Necro pet controls work fine, just need to figure out how to work them.

Conversely, I've tried LotRO and just find no enjoyment whatsoever in that game.

• ethionethion Member UncommonPosts: 2,888

I think all the bugs listed I've seen at one time or another in the game.   I find it amazing that you encountered all these issues just doing a few hours trial on IoD...

I have not played a lot of quite a few months but I have played through IoD on several characters and played VG off an on for a long time. 

In my playing on IoD and most of the game the bugs you mentioned have been very rare other then the swiming through the world bug which is really only a minor irritation.

I find that in many areas if you swim underwater and swim down it is pretty easy to swim under the world.  This would be a big deal if I fell to my death or something however it looks like the bottom of lakes is mushy you can swim under some and then back up.  So it's more of a graphical issue that when it happens I just swim up and keep going.

The UI issue I'm not really sure what it was as I don't thrink it ever happened to me....  Although I'm running a custom UI so maybe I just didn't notice the issue.

For the rest of the issues you mention I've seen then but they are VERY rare in my experience.  I mean having played hundreds-thousands of hours going back from release some of these issues havve happened to me maybe a handfull of times?  And running through IoD I've never had any of the issues you mention.

So I'd say you are either cosmically unlucky, a great QA engineer, or exagerating the frequency and magnetude of these issues...

John

---
    Ethion

Originally posted by boojiboy

/reloadui fixes the UI.  It happens because your desktop and game resolutions are different.
    I've leveled 2 toons in IoD and haven't fallen through the world or seen a mob fall through the world.  Sure it didn't return to it's spawn point?
    Necro pet controls work fine, just need to figure out how to work them.

Conversely, I've tried LotRO and just find no enjoyment whatsoever in that game.

boojiboy you can probably recreate the swimming under the world bug if you try, not just on the isle but anywhere - swim down and then kind of swim into the bottom surface of the lake or river or whatever, you should eventually glitch under the world.

So I just don't swim into the bottom surface of a body of water lol

I've tried the LotRO trial 4 times since it released I think. It's a beautiful world and as rich in lore as it gets, but it doesn't make me feel like I'm in Middle Earth sadly and I find the gameplay somehow dull, but I've never been able to put my finger on why...

LotRO is home to a whole lot of happy gamers though so they did something right for a certain type of player, good game, just not for me.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• ReanimReanim Member Posts: 103

Got to love some of these responses. My overclocked I7 is just a crap PC. I already have a lvl 48 Nec on SER so I think I know how it works. The nec class had huge issues at release and the pet controls are still not working correctly.

Don't get me started on the other bugs I noticed. Mobs and pets running through trees and rocks. Poor pathing etc.

None of the issues I posted about are really huge. Its just the fact that its been over 2 years and its still not real polished. Instead of the newbie Isl they should have focused on core issues.

Vanguard had huge potential but they ended up wasting it. 4 servers left and a TINY dev team. Look at how sony turned EQ2 around from the abortion they released. Huge difference.

Is the game playable. YES. Is the game in the state it should be after 2 years? Not even close.

Don't like the reality check... To fing bad.

If you don't believe my post I could make a nice little fraps vid and post it. I really don't want to damage a game thats already been pounded into the dirt.

Originally posted by blueturtle13

Perhaps Middle Earth Online that was canceled would have.

One of those time where sadly, we'll never know.

I remember following MEO way back when, I was pretty excited about it. :D

Is the game playable. YES. Is the game in the state it should be after 2 years? Not even close.
    Don't like the reality check... To fing bad.
    If you don't believe my post I could make a nice little fraps vid and post it. I really don't want to damage a game thats already been pounded into the dirt.

I agree with the fact that it should be in better shape but to be honest, It is a miracle that it is in the good shape that it is in now. Vanguard will always be creaky and you will always be able to see the screws.

When you make a post that says "still bug ridden" it does conjure up the state that Vanguard was in at launch. But the game is far more playable and has far fewer bugs than when it was launched.

It's not like Sony is rushing to turn this game into a smashing success.

In my opinion, Vanguard is the perfect game for people who are searching for something different and don't mind a few leaks here or there.

I could easily make a fraps and run around the world and show how playable it is on high settings. I could also point out all the little eccentricities of the game as well.

If a person is expecting polish like LOTRO or WoW then no, I doubt it will ever have that. And people trying this game should be made aware of that. But the game is very playable with nothing serious that I can tell.

As long as people are willing to accept it for its warts then it can be a very fun, rewarding and to a certain extent unique.

Bug ridden? meh, that makes it seem like it's unplayable and that is just not the case.

edit: I think I'd like to add...

When I first tried the game there werecrashes and locking up when I moved toward one direction or another and the game couldn't load fast enough.

I remember a session where I was on a quest and had to go to the other side of some huge wall through an archway. Except I coulnd't get through. It was like there was an invisible barrier. Then for some unknown reason I clicked on the area as if it was a door, herad some door opening sound and could get through. This was the only way I could get through. I then would go to my quest giver and he/she (can't remember) was just a floating head. All this while I had items vanishing on my body.

Conversely the game has come a very long way and I have yet to see any of this in the game as it is now. So again, I think that the game will continue with bug fixes along they way. But I don't ever think the game will get rid of it's somewhat creaky feel.

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

I can agree with most of what you said above Sov. But its like they have thier priorities all screwed up. I logged back in a bit ago and was greeted with new hairstyles being available. This got me laughing so hard its not funny. For 2 years you have not been able to fix the pet controls but hey heres a new hairdo.

Another thing that really irritated me was when a mob has began a spell induction and you fear them you get hit with the spell anyways several seconds later. Old bug never fixed.

I had a frog feared and was out of range and got hit with poison breath.

I got melee hits from a mob like 20-30 feet away.

All of it wierd wacked out bugs that were never fixed.

When a vet player comes back over a year later to the same bugs how can you expect them to want to play? But hey... theres those new hair styles.

I can agree with most of what you said above Sov. But its like they have thier priorities all screwed up. I logged back in a bit ago and was greeted with new hairstyles being available. This got me laughing so hard its not funny. For 2 years you have not been able to fix the pet controls but hey heres a new hairdo.
    Another thing that really irritated me was when a mob has began a spell induction and you fear them you get hit with the spell anyways several seconds later. Old bug never fixed.
    I had a frog feared and was out of range and got hit with poison breath.
    I got melee hits from a mob like 20-30 feet away.
    All of it wierd wacked out bugs that were never fixed.
    When a vet player comes back over a year later to the same bugs how can you expect them to want to play? But hey... theres those new hair styles.

Actually I think those hairstyles were probably always made and they just decided to put them in "just because". I mean, they don't really seem like "all that".

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

Originally posted by blueturtle13
      The budget is just not there to iron out all that is wrong with the game but at the same time the game has improved by leaps and bounds over what was released. I am sorry that you have the issues you have had with the game OP but I have had no real issues. (other than the rain thing with Vista) Your I7 is not a crap cpu, true, so you should be able to run it fine if the rest of your system is current as well.  I run Vanguard maxed at around 40 fps average. Sometimes as high as 55 -60 It looks great and runs great, even the hitching from chunk to chunk is minor now compared to what it was. (even then it was better than a load screen) I dont have an uber computer by any means but it is decent. Not sure why you have had as many problems as you have had but it is not normal and most players dont have any of those issues at all. Also the reason they worked on and released the IOD was to get more people to try the game and perhaps sub to it. That way they can make more money to fix the game even more and create more content. It has worked, so it was a win. If you didnt like the game thats cool but painting a picture of a broken game is not true. It has bugs, I guess though I dont see them very often. After playing in beta I thought coming to it later I was going to be so let down. I have been playing for quite awhile now and I have been very surprised by how it runs and plays. Almost every game ever made has bugs. GTA4 was buggy on release as well. So was Fallout3, EQ2, WOW, UO, the list goes on and on and on. Maybe it is because I dont play pet classes but the game you played and the game I play are not the same ;)

The budget is there to fix this game and has always been there to do so. SOE chose not to. This leads me to believe that fixing the issues were not something they believed was going to be profitable. They let down a huge amount of players when they failed to provide the resources the game needed. I played this game for quite a while with dual accounts. I was there at the beggining and a year or so ago.

You are correct in that alot of games are buggy when released. We are going on 2 and half years now. So how long does it take to get class or racial functions to work correctly? or simple bugs to get fixed? 3-4 years? Or perhaps if I come back in 5 years they will have figured out how to make the guard button on the pet bar work as it does in most other games.

Soe is not the brightest company around. They blew a huge user base in SWG. They messed up EQ2 so bad at launch that wow got most of thier business. They were given a Goldmine in the rough with vanguard and were to stupid to run with it. Calling them a bunch of morons would be a compliment.

All they had to do was put resources into vanguard. Reassure the user base that they would actually meet thier promises and things would have been gold.

Instead two and a half years later im still swimming through the world ( In a newly created area to boot ). But hey that new hairstyle will help and I will look cool.

Your right we are playing two different games. I'm still hoping for revamped vanguard thats just never going to happen. So yes I am jaded.

As for my PC. Its an overclocked I7 920 running at 3.8mhz, Vista 64, 6 Gigs of ram running at 1800, Overclocked 280gtx, 2 raid sets, etc. Games run fine.

hey Reanim, I tried to emulate two of the bugs but couldn't.

I tested the "Guard" feature on my lvl 8 Necro and it seemed to work fine. I walked in front of the mobs in the trial isle that are gurading that cave (the mobs with the bows) and my creature (abomination) attacked them.

the other I tried was swimming under the world. I used the water way by the bridge and swam against the bottom of the floor as well as trying to go straight down throug it but couldn't get through.

I am wondering if it was another command other than guard you were talking about or if this was with a different summon (don't know how many summons necros get so I thought I'd ask that one ).

Also wondering if it was a different water area. Eitehr in the larger world or on the trial isle but perhaps by the hermit shack?

• mackdawg19mackdawg19 Member UncommonPosts: 842

Pet issues with a necro? Have not seen any in quite awhile and I have a 44 necro. I haven't played him in almost 2 weeks, but unless it just started happening due to the new patch, I call shenanigans. Same goes with a lot of your other bugs you talked about. Seems you just made a thread because you can, and didn't actually play the game. If you somehow want to prove your situation, grab xfire and make a video. Takes about 3 minutes to install and create a video which then you can uninstall after. But I understand if you don't have time and want to continue with this ..... actually I don't.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

I played the game on day 1 and got NONE of the so called bugs MANY are claiming to have had.I am not saying many are outright lying but something is amiss here.

I played VG on a decent PC at its release but nothing great,a run of the mill intel chip and everything else was normal as well,so how is it so many are having so many problems?

The ONLY two problems i had was stuck behind a rock and fell through the world when under water near the end of a zone.The stuck behind a rock was no big deal because there was a command to use that got you out of a jam.The falling through the world is not a bug it is a mapping mistake,but still a mistake,but again no big deal ,happened once.

Since i had almost no issues with VG and that was at launch when the supposed massive bugs were out there,i would not blame the game but the PC's and their drivers/bios.This is to be expected from PC's ,there is no such thing as one system fits all.Even with massive testing,there is NO way a developer can test every single configuration/driver out there.To make matters worse,Microsoft gives drivers the OK,seal of approval when they still cause problems for many machines,so there is no set in stone master fix all.

I own still to this day 5 working PC's ,so i have a lot of different configurations.I would also be willing to bet ,i have played or trialed more games than 99% of the people,and yet i have seen VERY few bugs in ALL the gamesi have played.The problem IMO,is that the PC's users need some saavy and need to understand their machines better.I know there is ALOT of people buying PC's and components from run of the mill warehouses,based on price alone,BIG mistake.There is a LOT of tech that goes into every single piece of hardware,there is no two items that are exactly the same.There is also a LOT of motherboards released with horrible BIOS ,full of errors and needing tons of updates,there is so much that can go wrong from machine to machine.

One FACT is that EVERY single game released,will ALWAYS have MANY patches,trying to accomodate every single user who sends in bug reports,this is not a developers fault,but is COMMON place amongst PC users.You cannot solo out SOE/SIGIL or any developer it happens to them ALL.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• DruzDruz Member Posts: 276

Reanim

Are you sure you're not playing a separate and outdated build of Vanguard... in your head? How is a mob hitting you from outside melee range anything but lag? I wonder what your definition of bug is though I have an idea. "Anything anywhere = bug"