Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SWG...It's really not that bad.

2»

Comments

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945
    Originally posted by JYCowboy 
    Within the limits that is imposed on it.  After the NGE failure, LA pretty much abandoned Marketing it.  They will, of course, take any money due them for the game.  SOE does not package and market SWG; LA does.  SOE is guilty of making and selling the NGE to LA along with many other faults.  LA chose to abuse the community it had in favor of the new community it would get.  That plan failed.  The TCG is milking the licences before LA pulls it and continues with TOR.  The TCG is also SOE's attempt to keep that same licences as profitable product.
    The game is more complete today for its type and it works.  NO, your Jedi is still not Alpha Class and your Legendary Weapons is still crap.  If, however, you don't carry that gut full of hate from the past, you can find a new experiance that is good.

At any time soe (or lucas) could have said no to the nge or at least chosen to be honest with their customers about the changes that were coming down the line, but they didn't.  Neither company was forced to take the actions that they did.  

Saying the game is more complete now is a very relative term all things considered.  Some might agree with you as the game is better than it was close to 4 years ago.  Still others may not considering this game is nearly 6 years old and is coming up on 4 years without an expansion and still has issues from who knows when.  I guess it is just a matter of where your perspective is to put a kind word on it.

I don't think it takes a belly full of hate (or lack of) to log in and make an observation of the experience you speak of.  There is a free trial backed by the star wars IP and millions and million of new mmo players who never experienced the nge or have any idea what happened. 

• NanachubNanachub Member Posts: 63

Originally posted by Blackbandit9

SOE roled with the times to keep SWG marketable in all global instances.

SOE has always done a great job of keeping SWG marketable!

Oh wait...

Within the limits that is imposed on it.  After the NGE failure, LA pretty much abandoned Marketing it.  They will, of course, take any money due them for the game.  SOE does not package and market SWG; LA does.  SOE is guilty of making and selling the NGE to LA along with many other faults.  LA chose to abuse the community it had in favor of the new community it would get.  That plan failed.  The TCG is milking the licences before LA pulls it and continues with TOR.  The TCG is also SOE's attempt to keep that same licences as profitable product.

The game is more complete today for its type and it works.  NO, your Jedi is still not Alpha Class and your Legendary Weapons is still crap.  If, however, you don't carry that gut full of hate from the past, you can find a new experiance that is good.

I dont remember SOE/LA ever advertsing the game properly pre NGE... I do however live in United Kingdom... so advertising may be a little different/

And sadly .... the game for me will never be as complete as is it was. It went where most couldnt follow.

"Obi-Wan Kenobi: We were decieved by a lie; we all were. It appears that SOE is behind everything, including the NGE! After the death of CU, the NGE became their new apprentice."

• CasualMakerCasualMaker Member UncommonPosts: 862
    Originally posted by Nanachub

I dont remember SOE/LA ever advertsing the game properly pre NGE... I do however live in United Kingdom... so advertising may be a little different/

Advertising for SWG was always effectively nonexistent. My brother-in-law decided to get into it (and got me in too) in early 2004. Prior to that, it just wasn't on my radar. The only reason I knew it even existed was from reading a pretty dismissive PC Gamer article on the game.

• ValeranValeran Member Posts: 925

They had 1 or 2 TV spots that didn't get very much runtime.

--------
    Ten Golden Rules Of Videogame Fanboyism

"SOE has probably united more gamers in hatred than Blizzard has subs"...daelnor

• TivianTivian Member UncommonPosts: 168

No...your right it isn't that bad. I just subed to it recently. I have been told that it was better at release than it is now....IE Pre CU Pre NGE...what ever that is. I am enjoying my time on it. I can only imagine what that game must have been like at its peak! I imagine space combat was awsome for pvp.

• BlackWatchBlackWatch Member UncommonPosts: 972

When SW:TOR hits... SWG will be gone.   They won't run both at the same time.  No need.

I've heard all of this crystal ball garbage from SOE before, tbh.  They will keep us paying our monthly sub's on this game until they absolutely have to shut the servers down.

What possible benefit would SOE gain from telling us all... 'yes, we're shutting SWG down when SW:TOR launches'?  None.  So, it's in their best interest to keep the money flowing (trickling) while they can.

If SOE wanted to do the SWG population a huge favor... they would give us classic servers for our last few months in game.  

If SWG will see their 6th anniversary... they may even see 7, depending on the launch date for SW:TOR.  8 will not be in the cards for them (TCG or not, lol), imho.  That's not coming from some mythical crystal ball either, but it's a lot more believable than anything you'll hear from Smed or his band of kool-aid drinkers.

• TeknoBugTeknoBug Member UncommonPosts: 2,156

Originally posted by CasualMaker
    Originally posted by Nanachub I dont remember SOE/LA ever advertsing the game properly pre NGE... I do however live in United Kingdom... so advertising may be a little different/

Advertising for SWG was always effectively nonexistent. My brother-in-law decided to get into it (and got me in too) in early 2004. Prior to that, it just wasn't on my radar. The only reason I knew it even existed was from reading a pretty dismissive PC Gamer article on the game.

I remember most of those SWG review articles in PC magazines, one in particular I remember gave SWG a 3.4 out of 10 and the same magazine gave the NGE version of SWG a 2.3 out of 10... If only I could remember which magazine it was.

• DraccanDraccan Member Posts: 1,050

Sorry to repeat myself, but as I already wrote SWG will cease to exist shortly after or before SW:ToR. It is not about crystal balls or anything, but plain obvious.

When was the last SWG expansion? SOE has a golden nugget; they could just make classic-y servers, revive the game, give it a graphics update - etc.. there would be plenty of people coming over if the game got a real overhaul.

Truth is that they don't ... SOE is milking the game with trading cards... they already know a date for when it closes. LA won't let them develop on it, not to threaten their NGE 2.0 Bioware game.

There is no two ways about it. Anyone saying anything else are not thinking clearly...

• PalatinePalatine Member Posts: 65
    Originally posted by Draccan

Sorry to repeat myself, but as I already wrote SWG will cease to exist shortly after or before SW:ToR. It is not about crystal balls or anything, but plain obvious.
    When was the last SWG expansion? SOE has a golden nugget; they could just make classic-y servers, revive the game, give it a graphics update - etc.. there would be plenty of people coming over if the game got a real overhaul.
    Truth is that they don't ... SOE is milking the game with trading cards... they already know a date for when it closes. LA won't let them develop on it, not to threaten their NGE 2.0 Bioware game.
    There is no two ways about it. Anyone saying anything else are not thinking clearly...

I totally agree with this. KOTR will be like the NGE all over except it will be more polished. It will be linear, jedi starting class and LA have their mitts all over it.

It wasnt SEO who pushed for the NGE it was LA. People always blame SEO, but the heart of the problem was LA as they could have stopped what happened to our SWG. Nuff said.

Originally posted by Palatine

I totally agree with this. KOTR will be like the NGE all over except it will be more polished. It will be linear, jedi starting class and LA have their mitts all over it.

It wasnt SEO who pushed for the NGE it was LA. People always blame SEO, but the heart of the problem was LA as they could have stopped what happened to our SWG. Nuff said.

There is zero proof that LEC pushed specifically for the NGE.  The evidence supports LEC pushing for more subs.  There are written accounts from 2 former developers who were directly involved with the NGE who clearly state that it was SOE who crafted the NGE and sold it to LEC.

--------

"SOE has probably united more gamers in hatred than Blizzard has subs"...daelnor

• JYCowboyJYCowboy Member UncommonPosts: 652
    Originally posted by Valeran

Originally posted by Palatine

There is zero proof that LEC pushed specifically for the NGE.  The evidence supports LEC pushing for more subs.  There are written accounts from 2 former developers who were directly involved with the NGE who clearly state that it was SOE who crafted the NGE and sold it to LEC.

What was not reported but is now fairly known is LEC wanted to cut cost on SWG as it was supporting a 75 member dev staff.  There was much yelling and uglieness dealing with firing staffers on SWG and down sizing the project.  All this happen prior to the NGE and LEC letting go its 200 folks.  The correlation to this was the Pre-CU could not be supported with a cut staff.  This is where conflicts of interest is evident with SOE (sucking the tit of LEC) and LEC (wanting to end ongoing development of a then launched game).  The head dev team is reported to number 10 to 20 now.  SOE developed the NGE to respond to the changes demanded from both staffing and marketing.  What was so SOE, putting themselves in this situation, was trying to milk developement of SWG with its multi-teams, going off doing individual projects and creating a very unbalanced combat system.  In the CU, there was some unification (though not well recieved as nerfs) to bring each profession (except Jedi) in line.  Professions were just about to get improved when the NGE bomb was dropped on the Live team.  The slaughter began and Tiggs was the first visible causlty.  Reguardless of SOE's roll in the NGE, LEC was there approving changes.

• kivechkivech Member Posts: 58

@ OP

Well mate, all the best to you. I agree completely with you, if you like the game and enjoy it: play it and let all others do whatever they want.

I personally don't like the game the way it is, but I'm on of those pre-CU/pre-NGE players who feels that his game got shafted.

This does not mean however that others cannot enjoy it, that would be rediculous. So go for it mate, I hope you'll enjoy it for quite some time to come.

• TrubadurenTrubaduren Member Posts: 575

Playing SWG now is like having one slize of pizza but you still pay the price of an entire pizza.

Starwars Galaxies, An Empier Diveded, That's what it says on my box anyway.

Originally posted by Coldrain_13

<Mod Edit>

Oh it went to hell...but it never came back.

--------

• Darth_PeteDarth_Pete Member Posts: 559
    Originally posted by Trubaduren

Playing SWG now is like having one slize of pizza but you still pay the price of an entire pizza.

And the slice you buy has some dog poop on it. :D

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465

Supposing the current game "isn't that bad", why should anyone pay to play it?

When I go out to dinner, do I pick a restaurant that "isn't that bad'?

Would I pay to see a movie that "isn't that bad"?

Would I pay to go on vacation to a place that "isn't that bad"? (Cleveland, perhaps)

No.

I won't pay for  "isn't that bad", when there are are plenty of games better than that out there. Some being F2P. So, it is both that the current game "isn't so bad" and that the sub fee equals the highest in the industry.

For people that don't mind that, fine. But I work hard enough for my $$$ to not settle for "Isn't that bad".