Quantcast

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

After the learning skills - what are the "must haves" to train?

CammyCammy Member Posts: 864

 Hey guys

 

I almost have all my learning skills trained up to lvl 4.

I plan to get the next set of those but they are a bit pricy right now so Ill likely wait or just get them as I go (the teir 2 ones).

 

Im curious if there are any other "must have" skills I should be going for.

So far, I've gotten into Electronics, Cybernetics, EWAR, my frigate skills, industry, and a few others (apart from my learning skills) up to lvl 4... 

Im curious if there are others I should be getting leveled up or if I should just plan my char in EVEMon and go with whatever ship they tell me (more or less) :) 

Ideally I haven't totally figured out what I want to do... I enjoy mining - I have a salvaging skill and hacking skill that I can't train yet (due to pre reqs) and Im not even sure if its best to train these up or not... 

Any advice on skills I should just absolutely not miss? I have some other core skills moved up to lvl III (such as gunnery, weapons upgrades and Starship command) but I haven't decided if I should invest the time to move them up to lvl 4

 

So much depth... so many choices.... 

:) 

 

«1

Comments

  • demolishIXdemolishIX Member Posts: 632

     Only learning skills are mandatory long term,then you can start training on your specialization,say you want to fly HACs,you start training the necesary skills.

     Tho there is a pattern you must follow if you want to fully take advantage of the skill training time,for exemple,you always train logistic skills -> weapon skills -> and then finaly train for the actual ship. Why ? Well basicly because if you first train for the ship and arent able to fit it properly,you will go out,get blown to tiny particules,then either rage rant on the forums or rage quit.

     

      There are also tons of advantages to training the "fitting skills" first,for exemple you are training for a vaga,in the process you will have to train for medium AC spec and shield tanking spec,training first for these will enable you to actualy hop into a stabber and start practicing with it till you get into your vaga,or you can fit other ships better.

  • CammyCammy Member Posts: 864
    Originally posted by demolishIX


     Only learning skills are mandatory long term,then you can start training on your specialization,say you want to fly HACs,you start training the necesary skills.
     Tho there is a pattern you must follow if you want to fully take advantage of the skill training time,for exemple,you always train logistic skills -> weapon skills -> and then finaly train for the actual ship. Why ? Well basicly because if you first train for the ship and arent able to fit it properly,you will go out,get blown to tiny particules,then either rage rant on the forums or rage quit.
     
      There are also tons of advantages to training the "fitting skills" first,for exemple you are training for a vaga,in the process you will have to train for medium AC spec and shield tanking spec,training first for these will enable you to actualy hop into a stabber and start practicing with it till you get into your vaga,or you can fit other ships better.

     

    Thanks for the advice

    Is there a way I can tell what I should be learning for my skills fitted parts? IE: If I want to fly say... an Anathema... I see what I need to train in order to fly the machine.... how do I tell what I need to train in order to outfit it properly?

    Sorry - Im obviously still a noob :) 

     

  • qazymanqazyman Member Posts: 1,785

    these are generally considered the core skils for all pilots:

    Essential for any ship:

    Electronics (lvl 5)

    Engineering (lvl 5)

    Weapon Upgrades (lvl 5)

    Advanced Weapon Upgrades (lvl 4, lvl 5 is good to have)

    Energy Management (lvl 5)

    Energy Systems Operation (lvl 5)

    Signature Analysis (lvl 4 or 5, better lock time ftw)

     

    There are also 4 skills for armor compensation and 4 for shield compensation, as well as skills that improve cap usage for specific items like afterburner and reppers. All of these should improve your character beyond what EFT suggest. HTH's

    Fitting guide

  • LordmonkusLordmonkus Member Posts: 808
    Originally posted by qazyman


    these are generally considered the core skils for all pilots:
    Essential for any ship:

    Electronics (lvl 5)

    Engineering (lvl 5)

    Weapon Upgrades (lvl 5)

    Advanced Weapon Upgrades (lvl 4, lvl 5 is good to have)

    Energy Management (lvl 5)

    Energy Systems Operation (lvl 5)

    Signature Analysis (lvl 4 or 5, better lock time ftw)

     
    There are also 4 skills for armor compensation and 4 for shield compensation, as well as skills that improve cap usage for specific items like afterburner and reppers. All of these should improve your character beyond what EFT suggest. HTH's
    Fitting guide

    This is good. These are the core skills that will be beneficial no matter what ship you are flying.

     

  • CammyCammy Member Posts: 864

     This is exactly what I was looking for.

    Thank you guys for your feedback! When I get off work today Ill be training up these next to make sure Im well on my way :) 

     

  • leshtricityleshtricity Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 231
  • DaakkonDaakkon Member UncommonPosts: 607

    electronics, engineering, navigation, there are lots of skills if you are going gunnery get youre gunnery skills to 5 asap

  • TaramTaram Member CommonPosts: 1,700
    Originally posted by qazyman


    these are generally considered the core skils for all pilots:
    Essential for any ship:

    Electronics (lvl 5)

    Engineering (lvl 5)

    Weapon Upgrades (lvl 5)

    Advanced Weapon Upgrades (lvl 4, lvl 5 is good to have)

    Energy Management (lvl 5)

    Energy Systems Operation (lvl 5)

    Signature Analysis (lvl 4 or 5, better lock time ftw)

     
    There are also 4 skills for armor compensation and 4 for shield compensation, as well as skills that improve cap usage for specific items like afterburner and reppers. All of these should improve your character beyond what EFT suggest. HTH's
    Fitting guide

     

    ^^ This.... except you can pretty much ignore the shield compensation skills for a LONG time since MOST shield tank setups use hardeners rather than resistance amps .... hardeners get no benefit from it.  The Armor compensation skills are a bit more useful since a lot of armor tank setups use the EANM's and other Energized (passive) hardeners for armor.  TBH though you will have lots more important skills to train initially than the compensation skills.  

    But the skills specifically listed are solid ones to have.  I also recommend targetting and long range targetting to boost the number of targets you can have locked and the distance you can lock.

    image
    "A ship-of-war is the best ambassador." - Oliver Cromwell

  • PatchDayPatchDay Member Posts: 1,641

    I waited awhile before I train energy management V and energy systems V (cap skills V). So you can get by w/o it ok but its a must have for any ship. but more important for frigate sized ships from what I can tell. on my interceptor there were some fits I couldnt be cap stable with til I grabbed cap skills V

     

    many swear by Energy management V for Thermodynamics (overheating for bonuses)

  • CammyCammy Member Posts: 864

     Ok I just bought all the skills you guys are talking about :) 

     

    My last question is, what about skills like hacking and salvaging. Are these things I should keep and train or sell them on the market?

  • LordmonkusLordmonkus Member Posts: 808

    Definitely train salvaging. You can use that has a great little money maker early on. Salvage the wrecks from your missions or others  The hacking skill is not quite as useful but can be very nice if you get into exploration. 

  • x_rast_xx_rast_x Member Posts: 745

    Also, don't overlook Thermodynamics.  This skill is amazing in pvp, but lots of people pass on it for a long time, a lot longer than they should really, because it's next to useless in pve.  But being able to push a button and make almost all your modules that really matter 15% better, even only for a minute or two, makes a huge, huge difference.

  • CammyCammy Member Posts: 864

     ok Im getting the pre reqs for salvaging now as I sleep lol :)

    Im also looking into Thermodynamics but its a bit too advanced for me at the moment. Still Ill be slowly getting the requirements I need to train it. 

    I'm also getting all the other core skills that's recommended.

    Ive been looking at my ship options and Im leaning towards going with a Harbinger (maybe with some heavy laser IIs as weapons), I've heard these are nice ships and can pack quite a bunch. For now Ill be doing a lot of PVE and slowly getting into the PVP side when I get good enough :) 

    I'm also dabbling into drones a little since I haven't yet. I assume I just need a bay for them to release from, as well as carrying them on board when I go? I was also looking at these while using EVEMon and I was considering the Hammerhead as my drone of choice (is it a good choice? lol). 

    Thats all the questions I have for the time being.

    Again appreciate the great feedback, Im really loving this game and so far its got me hooked, line and sinker 

  • XennithXennith Member Posts: 1,244

    navigation V

    drones V

    drone interfacing IV ( V if you have time)

    thermodynamics IV

    targetting skills, armour comp skills...

     

    thermodynamics is my favorite skill.

  • PatchDayPatchDay Member Posts: 1,641

    You will want to decide on your path for now. Mining and Combat both veer in two different directions. Miners for one thing don't use Thermodynamics, you'll want Electronics V along with rank 1 Memory 5 and Int 5. Advance Learning at 4.

    If you go combat for now with Amarr, your priority is getting guns up to par since that's your main damage dealing source by far

    If you plan to move to 0.0 and rat in Amarr 0 (Delve, Providence, Querious, etc) you would want ECM Drones fucking day #1 so you can get away from hostiles if your boat has the room. Hell I would also prioritize Hull Upgrades IV being Amarr and then Hull Upgrades V at some point. Must have for Amarr combat ships

    But if you are a Miner you will be Shield Tanking and you will still want Hull Upgrades IV at least for cargo expanders and ofc Drones. The cargo expanders won't be for your miner mind you- it would be for your Hauler

    Electronics V will also help keep the Hauler cloaked.

     

    The key is decide which path for short term so you can become effective at that one role then broaden your eyes after.

    And hacking.... Hm, Science V is a good prereq that you'll need eventually I grabbed that when I was young. Comes in handy later if you pvp and plan to fly interdictors

     

  • GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,321

    More I follow this thread, less clear is to give out any advice.

    First you say you enjoy Mining, you look after Salvaging and Hacking, already skilled up some gunnery skills and now train for Harbinger...

    How can one tell you what are 'must have' skills when you are unable to make up your mind in your future career?

  • PatchDayPatchDay Member Posts: 1,641

    Btw wonder if we should explain Hacking. That's for the Explorer Career sort to speak. You would need a covops most likely for the bonuses. Electronics V would be a high priority once again.

    Now all the races have an entry level explorer. give it a try now to see how you like it I guess. I enver explored in high sec myself. only ever done nullsec exploration sites. so I dont know what the rats are like in there.....

    Get in Exploration channel

     

    But you are looking at 3 diff directions: Mining, Exploration, and Combat. To do exploration well solo/dup you'd want good Exploration + Combat in my opinion. Exploration isnt my main profession tho I used to do it here and there when the opportunity arose since I trained the skills a long time ago. When i was a newbie I just knew I wanted to be an explorer. So trainined it all only to find out I hated it then and still kinda hate it now. just interested in probing down hostiles now mainly

  • CammyCammy Member Posts: 864
    Originally posted by PatchDay


    You will want to decide on your path for now. Mining and Combat both veer in two different directions. Miners for one thing don't use Thermodynamics, you'll want Electronics V along with rank 1 Memory 5 and Int 5. Advance Learning at 4.
    If you go combat for now with Amarr, your priority is getting guns up to par since that's your main damage dealing source by far
    If you plan to move to 0.0 and rat in Amarr 0 (Delve, Providence, Querious, etc) you would want ECM Drones fucking day #1 so you can get away from hostiles if your boat has the room. Hell I would also prioritize Hull Upgrades IV being Amarr and then Hull Upgrades V at some point. Must have for Amarr combat ships
    But if you are a Miner you will be Shield Tanking and you will still want Hull Upgrades IV at least for cargo expanders and ofc Drones. The cargo expanders won't be for your miner mind you- it would be for your Hauler
    Electronics V will also help keep the Hauler cloaked.
     
    The key is decide which path for short term so you can become effective at that one role then broaden your eyes after.
    And hacking.... Hm, Science V is a good prereq that you'll need eventually I grabbed that when I was young. Comes in handy later if you pvp and plan to fly interdictors
     

     

    Thanks for the positive feedback as always Patch. In the short term Ill likely do salvaging/mining or some other form to make lots of money and be able to fund my ships. I think that's the first goal I should shoot for. I was trying to find skills that over lapped - such as Electronics (your hull upgrades was really good advice.. Ill start training in those next). 

    So I guess for now, Ill just go upgrading the core parts and dab into the different fields to see what I enjoy the most. Im already upgrading my weaponry and hulls - and I just started with drones so I can start to use those. I think that'll keep me going for the time being 

    Thanks again man - your advice is always fantastic :) 

  • PatchDayPatchDay Member Posts: 1,641

    You mention salvaging alot I noticed. Thats a full blown career with a very nice low entry point! One of best ways to make isk but may require some risks and inside intel on where the wars are happening

    Train for Destroyer I, thats like what 1 hour? Next Salvaging 4 which you probably already have

    Next, decide if you want to be ruthless or nice

    Ruthless ninja salvager will use a prober to find mission runners and jump into their mission and just like steal salvage.

     

    For 0.0 my favorite salvager always been Vigil. minmatar frigate II all you need. Hull upgrades IV for Nano. I put all nanos on bottom. I jump in, grab the loot and salvage and bail. I made 100 million from my last salvage run. my buddy made 500mil from huis last salvage run

    I keep secure containers mounted in a safe spot. Anchoring I is sweet for this

     

    Salvagers can be so rich but we all live in 0.0. I imagine ninja salvaging is what a newbie should do

     

    Miners should go to 0.5. Go afk. Train drone skills. While watching tv look for faction haulers. You can get 40mil drops from those. That is how i made my first 100 mil in EVE :)

  • CammyCammy Member Posts: 864
    Originally posted by PatchDay


    You mention salvaging alot I noticed. Thats a full blown career with a very nice low entry point! One of best ways to make isk but may require some risks and inside intel on where the wars are happening
    Train for Destroyer I, thats like what 1 hour? Next Salvaging 4 which you probably already have
    Next, decide if you want to be ruthless or nice
    Ruthless ninja salvager will use a prober to find mission runners and jump into their mission and just like steal salvage.
     
    For 0.0 my favorite salvager always been Vigil. minmatar frigate II all you need. Hull upgrades IV for Nano. I put all nanos on bottom. I jump in, grab the loot and salvage and bail. I made 100 million from my last salvage run. my buddy made 500mil from huis last salvage run
    I keep secure containers mounted in a safe spot. Anchoring I is sweet for this
     
    Salvagers can be so rich but we all live in 0.0. I imagine ninja salvaging is what a newbie should do
     
    Miners should go to 0.5. Go afk. Train drone skills. While watching tv look for faction haulers. You can get 40mil drops from those. That is how i made my first 100 mil in EVE :)

     

    Oh I see - that makes so much more sense to me now :)

    Appreciate the patience in explaining these things to me man. Ive only been playing for about a week so all this is still pretty new to me. 

    Right now Im scared to death to go into low space lol! So I may take your advice and go the mining route as opposed to the salvaging route to make some cash, and then slowly work on my combat/flying skills... as you said, go to 0.5, watch the ballgame, swing back and forth for some extra money, etc :) I hear Veldspar is the best thing to ore for newbies so Ill likely start up there. I didn't actually realize salvaging is a full blown career, so Im learning more and more every day. I thought other MMOs I played were in depth... sheessh... this one is by far the MOST in depth of any game I've played (I still love it tho) :) 

    Again, thanks for the great feedback! You really helped me out in what I want to do going forward and gave me some good directions and starting points. 

  • PatchDayPatchDay Member Posts: 1,641

    Being a newbie this is actually best time to explore 0.0. It's gonna be hard as nails for someone to pod you in a Vigil. It's darn near instawarp. I still fly my vigil sometimes when I make empire runs so I'm not telling you to fly something I wouldn't. Granted, I fly my covops alot more for 0.0 travel though :)

     

    Besides if you join a corp/alliance they can be wardecced making Empire more dangerous than 0.0... I just got my other real life buddy to finally move out to nullsec. He's had some close scraps but hasn't died yet.

    Now, truth be told, you could be like our other friend that never listens to our advice. He has died so much his killboard is pages and pages of fail

    So Empire isn't a bad way to go.... But if you're gonna go that route I'd say Trading

  • dhayes68dhayes68 Member UncommonPosts: 1,388

    My only imput is to hold off on the upper tier lvl 5 learning skills. (Clarity, Eidectic Memory, Empathy, Focus, Presence)  the training time combined is so long it offsets potential gain.

  • GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,321


    Originally posted by dhayes68
    My only imput is to hold off on the upper tier lvl 5 learning skills. (Clarity, Eidectic Memory, Empathy, Focus, Presence)  the training time combined is so long it offsets potential gain.

    Depends on time scale. It won't pay off in 2 months, but when looking at about +1 year skilling plan...

  • CammyCammy Member Posts: 864
    Originally posted by dhayes68


    My only imput is to hold off on the upper tier lvl 5 learning skills. (Clarity, Eidectic Memory, Empathy, Focus, Presence)  the training time combined is so long it offsets potential gain.

     

    Im planning to pick these up as I go but it isn't a core focus for me right now.

     

    Currently they are selling pretty high - a bit higher than my budget for the time being :) So I definitely plan to get them it just might be a month or two before I get them and have them trained. I figure Im in EVE for the long haul, so any learning skills I can train up on would be great :)

     

  • CammyCammy Member Posts: 864

     Actually have another quick question

    Im going out of town this weekend so its a perfect chance for me to grab my first skill V :) 

     

    Im curious which one is perhaps the best one starting out as.

    Im leaning towards Electronics or perhaps Engineering. I've also read that Learning V wasn't really that useful (is this true)? so not to waste that time in training it.

     

Sign In or Register to comment.