Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Lords of Over Clocking

2»

Comments

• noquarternoquarter Member Posts: 1,170

Well, core clock isn't everything - I thought it was ridiculous when Intel was doing their stupid p4 netburst architecture to wrack up super high clock speeds even though the cpu was getting almost no work done per cycle because of that architecture - it was all for marketing. AMD was using a much more elegant design that got a lot of work done per cycle at the time.

Granted the 295 is really a 275x2, so fastest single GPU (285) vs GPU (4890) isn't as big a difference and your point is valid, there is much more overclockability in the 4890. I don't know if that's going to stop hardware geeks from wanting to drop the extra cash for a 280/285, but I don't know the benchmarks on an OC 4890 vs OC 285.

• Sir_DripSir_Drip Member Posts: 133
    Originally posted by noquarter

Well, core clock isn't everything - I thought it was ridiculous when Intel was doing their stupid p4 netburst architecture to wrack up super high clock speeds even though the cpu was getting almost no work done per cycle because of that architecture - it was all for marketing. AMD was using a much more elegant design that got a lot of work done per cycle at the time.

Granted the 295 is really a 275x2, so fastest single GPU (285) vs GPU (4890) isn't as big a difference and your point is valid, there is much more overclockability in the 4890. I don't know if that's going to stop hardware geeks from wanting to drop the extra cash for a 280/285, but I don't know the benchmarks on an OC 4890 vs OC 285.

The lone 295(USA) is using ("BONE-A-FIED") That's right.....Drivers!!!!!.... that can be used by anyone (the end user)! Now look at how many ATI users have this:

"Please note that this result has been produced using display drivers which have not been validated or approved by Futuremark and will not be visible on default result search on the ORB or on the Hall of Fame". On their "VANTAGE" scores!!!

Guess what that is??....ATI leaders are using "Modified Drivers", Not stock!  Yes....That's right Fokes!.. Not only can you Slim Down or Mod the Operating System, then add in editing your  Bios. Then mod the GFX drivers on top of that......All for a 5 minute Program.

I sitll think this means nothing to everyday people.

The 295 on STOCK DRIVERS!

• Sir_DripSir_Drip Member Posts: 133

Let's see what happens in June!!!

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

"Freedom is just another name for nothing left to lose" - Janis Joplin

Originally posted by Sir_Drip
    Originally posted by noquarter Well, core clock isn't everything - I thought it was ridiculous when Intel was doing their stupid p4 netburst architecture to wrack up super high clock speeds even though the cpu was getting almost no work done per cycle because of that architecture - it was all for marketing. AMD was using a much more elegant design that got a lot of work done per cycle at the time.Granted the 295 is really a 275x2, so fastest single GPU (285) vs GPU (4890) isn't as big a difference and your point is valid, there is much more overclockability in the 4890. I don't know if that's going to stop hardware geeks from wanting to drop the extra cash for a 280/285, but I don't know the benchmarks on an OC 4890 vs OC 285.

The lone 295(USA) is using ("BONE-A-FIED") That's right.....Drivers!!!!!.... that can be used by anyone (the end user)! Now look at how many ATI users have this:
    "Please note that this result has been produced using display drivers which have not been validated or approved by Futuremark and will not be visible on default result search on the ORB or on the Hall of Fame". On their "VANTAGE" scores!!!
    Guess what that is??....ATI leaders are using "Modified Drivers", Not stock!  Yes....That's right Fokes!.. Not only can you Slim Down or Mod the Operating System, then add in editing your  Bios. Then mod the GFX drivers on top of that......All for a 5 minute Program.

what .. what the hell?

what are you posting nothing you wrote makes any sense or is relevant to the post you quoted and is barely relevant to the rest of the thread.

Originally posted by noquarter

I see what you're saying now, sorry I was pretty tired last night. Still not relevant to my post dunno why you quoted me heh :)

But as to your point, I don't see a single 295 on that list or any GeForce that is using approved drivers or any ATI card that is either.

I don't see why Futuremark is having a contest to give the winners hardware that is slower than the hardware they needed to use to win it. :P

• PhelcherPhelcher Member CommonPosts: 1,053

Play a game for 4 hrs on that system and tell me what your LN bill is. LOL   They cant last  20 min. with out frying something! LOL!

Overclocking is not for gamming! It is a hobby in pursuit of tweaking and garnering the best possibly bench or frequencies from a given system.

"No they are not charity. That is where the whales come in. (I play for free. Whales pays.) Devs get a business. That is how it works."

-Nariusseldon