Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WoW, Review After Many Years.

• If you haven't played WoW before then it will be the best thing since sliced bread. The only negative reviews will be from trolls or vets who have played the game for years. You won't find a better fantasy genre game anywhere gaurenteed and I say that with such ignorant confidence because this fact is the only reason WoW does so well. I constantly ask myself how this game does it even with such basic features. There is no PvP like Lineage, no customization like CoH, no beauty like GW, and no story like Lotro or EQ but what WoW lacks it brings back with solid and polished concepts and features. WoW has and maintains End Game content, Constant updates and events, at least a ' doable ' PvP concept ( lol @ Lotro and CoH pvp ) Large, uninstance, populated and exciting zones, cheap sub fee's, and an easy path to the level cap which is controversial, and much more that in short include good instances a decent enough community if your on the right server and above all you will never find yourself without something to do or be able to improve on. But like all MMO's after about 2-4 years of nonstop play the game will just turn into a 3D chat room; it is unavoidable for every game and there is not one that has come out that people would not get board of over a relitivly short period of time ( 2-4 years). WoW is just the only fantasy game so far that can hold your attention long enough to get to the point of over repetitive-ness and lack of interest. I myself am a vet and WoW do get to that point of WoW fatigue quite often but I always come back for big patches, expansions, and holidays.

• A Word on Expansions: WoW goes through its good and bad stages but expansions bring a new variable to the table. WoW's expansions go through constant overhype due to an insanly large player base and this has a terrible terrible side effect on the MMO community. When blizzard decides to release and expansion it is so far always for the better and when people think it will be the new masia of game and inginuity they are often stomped into the ground by how much this is not true. In short, an expansion will come out, players that play WoW will be disapointed because their imagination but realize later that it was for the better and the old world and old features were getting rather old. Vets on the other hand will be mad at blizzard, mad at people, mad at the world because they are unequally unsatisfied because they believe the game would be like what it was when they first experianced it but eventually get over this. People that don't play WoW will rip on it because their imagination portrays somewhat of an AoC release and that they have been right to avoid the game. The fact that vets, or people that play WoW all day every day, get disapointed so easily by additions and changes in WoW only means they crave more; Thus, a new Bliz game, and the feeding will go on.New players, do not be misconstrued by the "Lol wow sux now cause care bear lol raid easy mode rofl pvp wotlk" those are just WoW people going through their natural menstral cycle. Old players, look beyond the small things and remember why you joined the game in the first place, stuff that was in the begining of the game is still there and thriving so enjoy yourself.

• Summary: If you haven't played it, do so, be born again. If you coming back from a break and can't find a game you'd rather play, try to find one of many ways to get back in the WoW groove aka new char, new guild, new faction ect.. If your a vet checkin out the reviews, I hope you agree with mine.

Write your opinion below!

Comments

• CzzarreCzzarre Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,742

I dont think there are many (any?) players of MMOs who havnt played WoW.

However, I like the idea of coming back for  and holidays. Those were the times I liked the best

• Originally posted by Czzarre

I dont think there are many (any?) players of MMOs who havnt played WoW.

Hopefully this is true

• DkevlarDkevlar Member Posts: 308

I do agree with you- and any unbiased sane person should also.

this particular game has been so developed and enhanced that sits lonely on a king of the hill position when it comes to "all" that , with todays technology, can be offered by a MMORPG. Myabe that will change with SW:TOR (for me the only product to be released in an acceptable timeframe that can offer something somewhat different),

The only real true "contra" to wow is that, due to the lack of any real competition, players have overplayed the product to the point of exhaustion. But that is not wow's or blizzard's fault. It is the competition that, for several reasons, keeps failing. 

• Originally posted by Dkevlar

The only real true "contra" to wow is that, due to the lack of any real competition, players have overplayed the product to the point of exhaustion. But that is not wow's or blizzard's fault. It is the competition that, for several reasons, keeps failing.

This is a concept that has evaded me, excellent theorycrafting.

Also from my eyes, it really doesn't seem that hard to beat WoW on the market in this state of MMO drought, if I was a developer I would assign a team to trying every single game out there. Then again im not a developer and my knowlege of code writing is to the extent of a WoW addon.

PS. SWTOR, Aion, Champions = same hype as War, AoC, Darkfall, Tcos, Rom, Vanguard... just sayin

• DkevlarDkevlar Member Posts: 308
    Originally posted by butter1011

Originally posted by Dkevlar

The only real true "contra" to wow is that, due to the lack of any real competition, players have overplayed the product to the point of exhaustion. But that is not wow's or blizzard's fault. It is the competition that, for several reasons, keeps failing.

This is a concept that has evaded me, excellent theorycrafting.

Also from my eyes, it really doesn't seem that hard to beat WoW on the market in this state of MMO drought, if I was a developer I would assign a team to trying every single game out there. Then again im not a developer and my knowlege of code writing is to the extent of a WoW addon.

PS. SWTOR, Aion, Champions = same hype as War, AoC, Darkfall, Tcos, Rom, Vanguard... just sayin

hard to beat wow? in concept no, it is not. Everything that makes wow "good" is basicly "in your face".

In praxis things turn ugly fast once you start adding up $ production costs. It would be interesting to know how much blizzard has paid to develop wow from the start until now. Just talking about man hours for art, coding, sound and creative concepts.

The truth is that very few companies have the budget to develop and release a game that, from day one, has the same level of offer when it comes to playability that wow presents. To a point, not even sure if blizzard itself can or could do it again, since form early 2000 to now present day, human resources costs have grow far too high.

ps: my reference to SW:TOR has little to do with hype, more with the fact that bioware is going, apparently that is, to another path, the story driven content mmorpg. Assuming they have the right budget and deliver a decent product, that story driven aspect  MIGHT set SW:TOR  apart from wow (and all this other games you mention),

• RecantRecant Member UncommonPosts: 1,586

I think there are still a lot of people that play MMORPGs but have never played WoW, or tried it once but were immediately put off by the deceptive accessibility of it.   I have some old friends in Everquest who refuse to play it, mainly because of the reputation it has from the hardcore MMORPG community.  "Lol I would never touch that game", they say, like a teenager with self-esteem problems.

I personally don't think the negative connotations attached to the game by the hardcore community are warranted at all.  But some people are just stubborn.   Looking at the reviews of the latest Star Trek movie for example, it has received wide critical appraise, like WoW - from hardcore trekkies and casual trek fans alike.  But there's also a very hardcore minority who refuse to acknowledge the film as Star Trek - it's Star Trek in name only, and they review it 2/10.

This is the same kind of behaviour that we see from some hardcore MMORPG players.   A lot of hardcore players still play WoW, but there is always the stubborn hardcore few that are blinded by their own prejudices and will never accept WoW for what it is, despite the huge critical acclaim and amazing success.

These people are lost.

Still waiting for your Holy Grail MMORPG? Interesting...

• Hammertime1Hammertime1 Member Posts: 619

It's still the best game overall when you consider all the factors.

< shrug >

• retrospecticretrospectic Member UncommonPosts: 1,466
    Originally posted by Recant

I think there are still a lot of people that play MMORPGs but have never played WoW, or tried it once but were immediately put off by the deceptive accessibility of it.   I have some old friends in Everquest who refuse to play it, mainly because of the reputation it has from the hardcore MMORPG community.  "Lol I would never touch that game", they say, like a teenager with self-esteem problems.
    I personally don't think the negative connotations attached to the game by the hardcore community are warranted at all.  But some people are just stubborn.   Looking at the reviews of the latest Star Trek movie for example, it has received wide critical appraise, like WoW - from hardcore trekkies and casual trek fans alike.  But there's also a very hardcore minority who refuse to acknowledge the film as Star Trek - it's Star Trek in name only, and they review it 2/10.
    This is the same kind of behaviour that we see from some hardcore MMORPG players.   A lot of hardcore players still play WoW, but there is always the stubborn hardcore few that are blinded by their own prejudices and will never accept WoW for what it is, despite the huge critical acclaim and amazing success.
    These people are lost.

I agree 100%.  I'm glad there are at least some forums members who aren't on the anti-successful game bandwagon.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• TorxTorx Member UncommonPosts: 205
    Originally posted by butter1011

If you haven't played WoW before then it will be the best thing since sliced bread. The only negative reviews will be from trolls or vets who have played the game for years. You won't find a better fantasy genre game anywhere gaurenteed and I say that with such ignorant confidence because this fact is the only reason WoW does so well. I constantly ask myself how this game does it even with such basic features. There is no PvP like Lineage, no customization like CoH, no beauty like GW, and no story like Lotro or EQ but what WoW lacks it brings back with solid and polished concepts and features. WoW has and maintains End Game content, Constant updates and events, at least a ' doable ' PvP concept ( lol @ Lotro and CoH pvp ) Large, uninstance, populated and exciting zones, cheap sub fee's, and an easy path to the level cap which is controversial, and much more that in short include good instances a decent enough community if your on the right server and above all you will never find yourself without something to do or be able to improve on. But like all MMO's after about 2-4 years of nonstop play the game will just turn into a 3D chat room; it is unavoidable for every game and there is not one that has come out that people would not get board of over a relitivly short period of time ( 2-4 years). WoW is just the only fantasy game so far that can hold your attention long enough to get to the point of over repetitive-ness and lack of interest. I myself am a vet and WoW do get to that point of WoW fatigue quite often but I always come back for big patches, expansions, and holidays.

A Word on Expansions: WoW goes through its good and bad stages but expansions bring a new variable to the table. WoW's expansions go through constant overhype due to an insanly large player base and this has a terrible terrible side effect on the MMO community. When blizzard decides to release and expansion it is so far always for the better and when people think it will be the new masia of game and inginuity they are often stomped into the ground by how much this is not true. In short, an expansion will come out, players that play WoW will be disapointed because their imagination but realize later that it was for the better and the old world and old features were getting rather old. Vets on the other hand will be mad at blizzard, mad at people, mad at the world because they are unequally unsatisfied because they believe the game would be like what it was when they first experianced it but eventually get over this. People that don't play WoW will rip on it because their imagination portrays somewhat of an AoC release and that they have been right to avoid the game. The fact that vets, or people that play WoW all day every day, get disapointed so easily by additions and changes in WoW only means they crave more; Thus, a new Bliz game, and the feeding will go on.New players, do not be misconstrued by the "Lol wow sux now cause care bear lol raid easy mode rofl pvp wotlk" those are just WoW people going through their natural menstral cycle. Old players, look beyond the small things and remember why you joined the game in the first place, stuff that was in the begining of the game is still there and thriving so enjoy yourself.

Summary: If you haven't played it, do so, be born again. If you coming back from a break and can't find a game you'd rather play, try to find one of many ways to get back in the WoW groove aka new char, new guild, new faction ect.. If your a vet checkin out the reviews, I hope you agree with mine.

Write your opinion below!

1. Use more than 3 paragraphs for that amount of text...my eyes are bleeding.

2. World of Warcraft "resets" its player base each expansion and makes everyone start over.

Yes it is a GREAT great game, I have enjoyed it for many years...most likely longer than the OP unless he was in beta. This game brings so much to the table it almost overwhelms you at times but in the shadows in the background the devs use expansions and content to lure you into starting completely over each expansion release to ensure their revenue gains during the new expansion.

People take it and even defend the idea of raising the level caps and starting over and some like myself grow tired of it.

I can give a general take on World of Warcraft....unlike the original poster I do not have to lash out at folks that love World of Warcraft or those that do not to share my point. The game is great if you are a casual player...simple as that.

If you have no desire to raid , to obtain very nice then there will be no real dissapointments when they hand you a raised level cap and non-rare items are better than you're epics that took you 10 months to obtain.

There are good things and there are bad things about all MMOs. Honestly WoW does so well right now because it has no true competition yet. I do not know if any are on the horizon but we shall see.

p.s- if you give 1000 thirsty people a choice of Coca Cola or dirty water....1000 will choose the coke, but if you add Pepsi, root beer and clean water in the mixx......the choices will not be so one sided. This is where blizzard draws their revenue.

---------------------------Desolation Guild WebSite-----------------------------

System Specifications:
    Coolermaster Haf932 Full tower Case
    2x 2 Tb Hard Drives