Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jumpgate Evolution "Announcement"

Supposedly...Netdevil will be making some sort of announcement early this week. Closed beta? Delayed till 2012? (joke)

"You may have seen dates, information and speculation floating around the internet the past few days about Friends & Family, Beta and Release dates. We are planning an update for the community early next week to clear the air, update you all on recent events and some other things. So stay tuned for that"

Callum "Liquilla" Rowley

Codemasters Online Community Liaison

http://community.codemasters.com/forum/showthread.php?p=5230494#post5230494

Comments

• Agricola1Agricola1 Member UncommonPosts: 4,977

Probably pushing back dates, it means anything else is a plus like say they announce they're scrapping battlespace?

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience"

CS Lewis

• sa1yamansa1yaman Member Posts: 272

Surprise, surprise

tl;dr version -  beta/launch delayed, development will continue past june. Edit: Link to original post

:

"It’s been about three years since we originally started thinking about making Jumpgate Evolution and in those three years many of you have been following the game’s progress quite closely. You’ve watched the project grow and gain momentum as it has become what it is today. Getting the game complete and into your hands is the point we’re really eager to get to and we strive each week to get to where we can share our adventures in space together.

One of the things we’ve always promised is that we would not release an unfinished product, nor would we subject players to a sub-par experience. The worst situation for a developer is that our game does not meet the expectations of our fans. This is constantly weighed against the need and desire to release the game and let our dedicated community play the game as soon as possible. I know that many of you have seen the targeted June release date and that has generated significant excitement. As with all game development projects, we constantly have to evaluate the quality of the product against anticipation. The question always asked among ourselves, does what we have meet the expectations of the players? Is what we have a good game?

With that, let me be up front about the current state of the game from where we stand. Jumpgate Evolution is nearly feature complete, but since entering the Friends & Family phase of testing we’ve been able to bring new eyes onto the game and get solid, crucial feedback from actual players and fans. Based on these results, it is clear that the product needs more time to meet its objectives. As an example, we have received and read lots of feedback regarding the instanced and public PvP systems. The feedback has been vital in helping us polish and improve this core feature of the game. We take a lot of time in digesting and considering what people say and take feedback seriously. Given that situation I can tell you that we would rather delay the release, than let you down by releasing an unfinished product. We will continue development past June while extending the test schedules and respond to the results of those tests.

Nowadays, Massively Multiplayer Online Games have a highly competitive market and a less-than-stellar release can be the end of a title before it starts. Our passion for this game means we want to release it in a state that is complete. You have raised the bar for us and we feel a great responsibility to reach that bar and exceed it. The only thing worse than waiting is being rewarded with a product that does not live up to its potential. We’ve always had one goal while developing this game which we’ve stated over and over. That goal is to make a great, and most of all fun, space combat game. Until we, and you, are happy that the game fully meets all of those requirements we won’t release it.

We understand news of this delay is disappointing. The good news is that our immediate goal is to get the game ready for larger groups of people as we get into wider testing. This means that more people will have more time to give us the vital feedback we will need to improve the game. Once we've established our road map for the next few months we'll share with you when the revised release date is.

Thanks for your patience and continued support.

See you in space!

Scott Brown.

"

• MrbloodworthMrbloodworth Member Posts: 5,615

Link please.

----------
    "Anyone posting on this forum is not an average user, and there for any opinions about the game are going to be overly critical compared to an average users opinions." - Me

"No, your wrong.." - Random user #123

"Hello person posting on a site specifically for MMO's in a thread on a sub forum specifically for a particular game talking about meta features and making comparisons to other titles in the genre, and their meta features.

How are you?" -Me

• BlackWatchBlackWatch Member UncommonPosts: 972

Nicely written response and quite valid, imho. 

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965

Why absolutely no one is suprised ...

Originally posted by Lobotomist

Of course not, its been their philosophy from the get go.

----------
    "Anyone posting on this forum is not an average user, and there for any opinions about the game are going to be overly critical compared to an average users opinions." - Me

"Hello person posting on a site specifically for MMO's in a thread on a sub forum specifically for a particular game talking about meta features and making comparisons to other titles in the genre, and their meta features.

How are you?" -Me

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965
    Originally posted by Mrbloodworth

I am following the game from the day it was announced.

When mere month from set release date there is no gameplay videos, no specs, no leaks, no closed beta even....

well that can mean only one thing. Basically i knew the game will be delayed for a long time now.

And take my word for it.

The only release we might see this year is Champions Online - and that in november,december...and perhaps Aion , but thats finished game anyway

Originally posted by Mrbloodworth

I am following the game from the day it was announced.

When mere month from set release date there is no gameplay videos, no specs, no leaks, no closed beta even....

well that can mean only one thing. Basically i knew the game will be delayed for a long time now.

And take my word for it.

The only release we might see this year is Champions Online - and that in november,december...and perhaps Aion , but thats finished game anyway

I'm not sure what you are trying to say, in every single interview they have said they wont be releasing till its done. As for no videos or specs...those have been out for quite a while now. Unless you mean announcements that come just before launch.

There is even a video where he talks about how MMOs get scheduled out, and how things happen that make really early planning difficult.

----------

How are you?" -Me

• Disappointing of course. Even though I was hoping June, I knew it couldn't be so. If they do release a more polished game that is worthy of its hype and promise then I have no problem with this. I worry though if the release of JGE might dilute with some other big releases. If Black Prophecy releases anytime near JGE its going to pull half of the MMO SCI FI crowd. Then of course there is also: SWTOR, STO, and SGW.

• skydragonrenskydragonren Member Posts: 667

KHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OOPS! This isn't the STO discussion forum.....

*Skydragonren turns around slowly puts his hands in his pockets and begins to whistle while heading for the door.

• IAmMMOIAmMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,462

They most likely saw more of the  Black Prophecy Space MMO and thought it best to rethink the game as people didn't respond well to boss mob in astroids which gave it a wow in space feel.  Black Prophecy is so much better in every way and  Netdevil know it! 

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

*Carefully aims and SHOOTS the panda*

Reck'n we wun see that un 'gain, eh boys?

/outragious wheezy laughter

OT: Wel, I am happy they are in the position to be able to postpone the release and invest some more. Not all companies have that luxury it seems.

• olddaddyolddaddy Member Posts: 3,356

Hey, things are looking up.

Somebody in the industry noticed that the launches of Vancrap, Crap of Conan, and Pirates of the Burning Crap did these games in quickly, and maybe it's not a good idea to release Jumpcrap Evolution.

Now they just have to fix and polish more.

• MurashuMurashu Member UncommonPosts: 1,386

I hate seeing games delayed but I hate seeing a game with potential released too soon (Vanguard, Age of Conan, Warhammer) even more. I hope it works out for them.

Originally posted by Murashu

I hate seeing games delayed but I hate seeing a game with potential released too soon (Vanguard, Age of Conan, Warhammer) even more. I hope it works out for them.

Agreed, I am really looking forward to JG:Evolution.

They can delay it as long as they have to, just be sure its a solid game when it comes out.

Long as they release sometime between now and 8 years from now.... (looks over at DFo) then I will be happy.

• freejackmackfreejackmack Member Posts: 378
    Originally posted by IAmMMO

They most likely saw more of the  Black Prophecy Space MMO and thought it best to rethink the game as people didn't respond well to boss mob in astroids which gave it a wow in space feel.  Black Prophecy is so much better in every way and  Netdevil know it! 

Your wrong! JGE is way better. Better flight engine, better pvp, better market and better dev team. BP is another high end graphical game that falls short every where else. Looks are not everything!

• impulsebooksimpulsebooks Member Posts: 561

Scott Brown has just released astatment:

It’s been about three years since we originally started thinking about making Jumpgate Evolution and in those three years many of you have been following the game’s progress quite closely. You’ve watched the project grow and gain momentum as it has become what it is today. Getting the game complete and into your hands is the point we’re really eager to get to and we strive each week to get to where we can share our adventures in space together.

One of the things we’ve always promised is that we would not release an unfinished product, nor would we subject players to a sub-par experience. The worst situation for a developer is that our game does not meet the expectations of our fans. This is constantly weighed against the need and desire to release the game and let our dedicated community play the game as soon as possible. I know that many of you have seen the targeted June release date and that has generated significant excitement. As with all game development projects, we constantly have to evaluate the quality of the product against anticipation. The question always asked among ourselves, does what we have meet the expectations of the players? Is what we have a good game?

With that, let me be up front about the current state of the game from where we stand. Jumpgate Evolution is nearly feature complete, but since entering the Friends & Family phase of testing we’ve been able to bring new eyes onto the game and get solid, crucial feedback from actual players and fans. Based on these results, it is clear that the product needs more time to meet its objectives. As an example, we have received and read lots of feedback regarding the instanced and public PvP systems. The feedback has been vital in helping us polish and improve this core feature of the game. We take a lot of time in digesting and considering what people say and take feedback seriously. Given that situation I can tell you that we would rather delay the release, than let you down by releasing an unfinished product. We will continue development past June while extending the test schedules and respond to the results of those tests.

Nowadays, Massively Multiplayer Online Games have a highly competitive market and a less-than-stellar release can be the end of a title before it starts. Our passion for this game means we want to release it in a state that is complete. You have raised the bar for us and we feel a great responsibility to reach that bar and exceed it. The only thing worse than waiting is being rewarded with a product that does not live up to its potential. We’ve always had one goal while developing this game which we’ve stated over and over. That goal is to make a great, and most of all fun, space combat game. Until we, and you, are happy that the game fully meets all of those requirements we won’t release it.

We understand news of this delay is disappointing. The good news is that our immediate goal is to get the game ready for larger groups of people as we get into wider testing. This means that more people will have more time to give us the vital feedback we will need to improve the game. Once we've established our road map for the next few months we'll share with you when the revised release date is.

Thanks for your patience and continued support.

See you in space!

Scott Brown.

Mark E. Cooper
    AKA Tohrment
    Proud member of Damned Souls since 2007.
    http://www.damnedsouls.eu

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872

Although i would rather play the game yesterday, i say that nowadays this decision is not only a good one, but moreover delivered in a believeable and comprehensible matter. That's why i don't have that much to rant about the delay.

On my part, i can relate to it rather than to any of this foul "we want to make shure to not only bring the best, but the very best blabla" publicity drivel these days. Thinking of MJacobs, but also of i.e. Funcom as i remember that certain infamous statement like "AoC was ready long before release, we just wanted to polish it further" (or similar) when it came to reasons for a delay at that time. We know what kind of "long ready" game they released later on.

So this is probably a good decision for both the game and the fans, brought over in an open and fair way.

• Agricola1Agricola1 Member UncommonPosts: 4,977

Now all they need to do is scrap battlespace and reinstate the simulator and we'll be getting there.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience"

CS Lewis

• freejackmackfreejackmack Member Posts: 378
    Originally posted by Agricola1

Now all they need to do is scrap battlespace and reinstate the simulator and we'll be getting there.

It is possible to have both battle space and world conflict at the same time. You just can't see till beta how exactly they will do it; so the narrow minded say that because this other game did it badly and released without adequate testing that JGE is gonna be exactly the same is no more true than saying we know the exact date of launch.

I want to have the choice to pick either or because it gives me somewhere to go when world conflict starts to wear on me. It also gives a more strategic battle.

DON'T TAKE MY BATTLE SPACE FROM ME!

• solnicarissolnicaris Member Posts: 148
    Originally posted by freejackmack

Originally posted by IAmMMO

Your wrong! JGE is way better. Better flight engine, better pvp, better market and better dev team. BP is another high end graphical game that falls short every where else. Looks are not everything!

IamMMO has a very good opinion there. How can you not look at your competition and not say oh crap they are doing that.... The BP Devs already said in interviews that JGE is a direct competitor/threat. So of course your going to try to 1up each other. because in the end since JGE and BP are twitch based space mmos is that features and content will win your monthly subscription.

And as is stands right now BP team have shown and revealed more in videos and interviews about their game than JGE team has.

Yes. ND team may be behind in development but you would be nieve to think that ND is not looking at BP and trying to 1up them. MMO's are a very competitive business now and only the strongest and feature rich products last and make $$.

Come and checkout my website:
    SpaceSimCentral.com - Your Space Sim Community Gaming Resource
    Discuss EVE, JGE, BP, Infinity, Taikodom, FL, FS, HW, WC, X and more

• mrw0lfmrw0lf Member Posts: 2,269

I think its a great decision. However why do they all keep giving out target release dates? Bliz have this nailed so well imo, don't say shit until you know you can actually meet the dead line (xpacs excl).

-----
    “The person who is certain, and who claims divine warrant for his certainty, belongs now to the infancy of our species.”

• AbstractXinnAbstractXinn Member Posts: 2

As pissed about a massive delay as I am, I think that they are making a good and informed decision. They would not willingly hold back the product unless it was really required to do so, after all, they are a business and businesses want to make money do they not.

In an age where game developers ever increasingly seem to throw things out in some of the worst states possible, the PC version of GTA IV for instance, it 's a breath of fresh air to hear a company thinking more about its community, end product and longevity, as opposed to the usual short sightedness and kerching of dollar signs in their eyes like some cartoon character.

If anything, this news gets me even more excited about the eventual final release. 

I guess the saying goes - "Good things come to those who wait..."

• ShreddiShreddi Member UncommonPosts: 320

They should at least update the release date from 2nd quarter 2009 to something more realistic, like n/a. 

This post is intentionally written as to not make any sense what so ever. Thank You Very Much.