Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EvE or JGE for "Honor Harrington-esque" gaming?

GameMonger71GameMonger71 Member UncommonPosts: 122

I am looking for a game that comes close to capturing the excitement and action of the Honor Harrington books by David Weber.  I do not expect a game, no matter how well made, to equal the experience of a series of books, but I am looking for the pride of command mixed with the thrill and sorrow of combat.  Do either EvE or JGE provide this?

Thanks!

Comments

• FinwolvenFinwolven Member Posts: 289

Yeah, well, EVE is what you make of it. That's the beauty of it. There are roleplay groups that try to capture the spirit of Webers books, and the game is open-ended enough to be able to make such a leap of imagination possible.

However, neither game escapes the dichotomy of 'immortal player', which kind of puts the 'sorrow of command'-aspect to within the players own mind, to imagining the crew of the ship the immortal is guiding, and imagining their loss when the ship explodes.

As for exhilaration and pride in accomplishment, sometimes you can find those in a good corporation, when you find yourself doing something of value and helping yourself along with your friends to some goal.

It is highly subjective though. EVE isn't exactly a copy of HH world, nor is the atmosphere of the games lore anywhere near a match for it. I suggest you try it, and see if you like it.

I'm also waiting to see JGE and what it will become, as well as the Infinity: TQFE project (projected for beta release sometime between late 2009 and the heat-death of the universe).

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Originally posted by GameMonger71
    I am looking for a game that comes close to capturing the excitement and action of the Honor Harrington books by David Weber.  I do not expect a game, no matter how well made, to equal the experience of a series of books, but I am looking for the pride of command mixed with the thrill and sorrow of combat.  Do either EvE or JGE provide this?

Thanks!

EVE is a sandboxish game with tactical combat while JGE is FPS shooter.

Also, JGE is not out yet so there is not much to say regarding the game.

• Timberwolf0Timberwolf0 Member Posts: 424

I know exactly how you feel GameMonger, I've read Mr. Weber's books and they are fantastic. The fact is that eve does not perfectly fit the mold. There is no great Star Kingdom of Manticore which you can become an officer in and command other players. It is one person per ship. However, in player made corporations one can ascend to become a fleet commander, and command vast numbers of players depending on how far you arise. Nothing can really match the thrill and sorrow as you so eloquently put of David Weber's universe, but I would say Eve is the only thing on the market right now that even comes close.

I would suggest giving the free trial a shot, and making up your own mind. I can provide you with a 21 day free trial instead of the standard 14 day one from their website. Just send me a PM with an e-mail address.

• GameMonger71GameMonger71 Member UncommonPosts: 122

Thank you for all the great replies!  I will take a chance and enter the world of EVE to see how I can shape it.  A special thanks to Timberwolf, PM incoming.

My pleasure.

• hongkong82hongkong82 Member Posts: 7

ya eves kewl JGE twitchey play :)

• TaramTaram Member CommonPosts: 1,700
    Originally posted by Gdemami

Originally posted by GameMonger71

Thanks!

EVE is a sandboxish game with tactical combat while JGE is FPS shooter.

Also, JGE is not out yet so there is not much to say regarding the game.

Correction:

EVE is a 3rd person perspective sandbox game with tactical combat while JGE is a 1st person perspective sandbox'ish' game with FPS style space combat.  (By sandbox'ish' I mean that it has several elements of a sandbox game but lacks some as well)

"A ship-of-war is the best ambassador." - Oliver Cromwell

• Brain-deadBrain-dead Member Posts: 256

I am looking for a game that comes close to capturing the excitement and action of the Honor Harrington books by David Weber. I do not expect a game, no matter how well made, to equal the experience of a series of books, but I am looking for the pride of command mixed with the thrill and sorrow of combat. Do either EvE or JGE provide this?

Eve has a fairly steep learning curve, but also a lot more depth than JGE. I have been playing Eve since launch and will probably try JGE when it comes out. JGE looks more like an MMO version of Freelancer to me. The main difference between the two is "Command" type control in Eve (think Star Trek) as opposed to "Twitch" type control in JGE (think Star Wars fighters). Both have their appeal IMO. But if I had to choose between the two, Eve is more appealing.

Fleet-type combat will be possible in JGE as well, though I think it is deeper and more complex in Eve, with fewer restrictions on what you can do. From what I have seen, JGE will only allow it between people of the same faction.

Kind of hard to have pride in a game that promotes scams and cheating. Yes, Eve Online is realistic when it comes to it's economy, perhaps too realistic. Unfortunately, theres no in-game measure to react to such criminalistic activity. Not paying attention? Oh well, you snooze, you lose.

...which is exactly what the player base wants. Most MMOs are nanny-states that try to protect you from yourself. Eve gives you the benefit of the doubt that you have a brain and can make decisions for yourself.

"you have a brain"
    --Braindead

I don't disagree with you, I just find the irony funny. :D