Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Best mid range card

Comments

• daylight01daylight01 Member Posts: 2,250
    Originally posted by Sir_Drip

Originally posted by daylight01

Maybe I am mis-reading if I am then I am sorry.
    You do know that the 8800gt card is a better gaming card than the 9600 and other lower 9000 series cards?
    The higher the number does not make it a better card.
    Like I said if I am mis-reading your post then I am sorry.It is just the way you have them listed and the part about games in the future saying min specs of a 8000 series card with recommended specs of a 9000 series card....as that wouldnt make any sense.

That list above is a rough guideline. With the single card list...I wouldnt run anything over 1680X1050 (22") display. With the SLI setups, everything above 1680x1050.

I like the 8800 GT's, I own 2 of them, 1 in my Kids computer. When overclocking one ,you would be knipping at the heels of 1 8800GTX at a 1680x1050 or lower resolution. And with 2 of them OC'ed @ 1680x1050 is more than enough for some (if not most) of todays FPS.

The thing im trying to say here is....The 8000 series will become obsolete like the 7000 series. All it's going to take is a little time..However if you own one, and you can run 2 of them in SLI, you will prolong hardware replacement. If you are in the hardware replacemet stage....I wouldnt get anything below the 9800GTX+/ GTS250.

Sorry you still are not making sense with this forcast.

Yes everthing become's obselete but alot of 8000 series cards are better than the 9000 series cards,so that in turn would make them obselete.

Lets forget about sli for a moment and focus on a single card preformance,the 8800 series is a better card than the 9600 series or anything lower in the 9000 series,I can prove this with benchmarks nps.

The later 7000 cards are better than some of the earlier 8000 series cards,again you are dismissing cards as they have a lower number...it doesnt make any sense,also your resolution for the 8800 series I have never encountered and always play at the highest resolution.

This just brings me back to your original comment that games will carry a min spec of 8000 series card with a recommended spec of a 9000 series card,hell a later 7000 card could get better at the lowest end than some 8000 cards,were as a 8800 series card could easily do better for the recommended specs than a 9000 series card.

If someone had came up to me in 1980 when I was on my Atari 2600 and said we will be playing games with thousands of people at the same time.I guess my response would have been,"but I only have 2 joysticks"

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/235780/page/8

• Sir_DripSir_Drip Member Posts: 133

OK.... is that better ?  JFC!  The 8000 series are next to be obsolete !

• AntariousAntarious Member UncommonPosts: 2,834

Sorry you still are not making sense with this forcast.
    Yes everthing become's obselete but alot of 8000 series cards are better than the 9000 series cards,so that in turn would make them obselete.
    Lets forget about sli for a moment and focus on a single card preformance,the 8800 series is a better card than the 9600 series or anything lower in the 9000 series,I can prove this with benchmarks nps.

First off you need to read that (even if its not what they person you were debating with intended..) differently.

8000-8600 (just use these for a reference).

9000-9600 (same thing as above.. rebadged.. slight core changes maybe and perhaps clock tweaks)

The 7 series to 8 series is more or less the same thing.

So you could infact say low range was as listed... but what you are taking from it is that it goes from the low 8 range and includes everything (including high 8 series range) into the low 9's.

What it should say is basicly it includes the same (rebadged) models in the 9 series *.*...  that would be fairly accurate.  Its only skewed once you hit the 250 and up because they changed the naming pattern.  Tho the 250 is pretty much just a rebadged previous existing card (while the upper level cards in that series are not).

Nvidia has done that at least as long as they have had a GeForce line.. I'm not sure before then as I think I was still using 3dfx before the GeForce 1.

Altho on your commet here:

"Lets forget about sli for a moment and focus on a single card preformance,the 8800 series is a better card than the 9600 series or anything lower in the 9000 series,I can prove this with benchmarks nps"

You might want to clarify that as being some certain minimum resolution.. because I'm pretty sure I could still google up the articles that lead to the 9600 GT becoming the hot seller it was and why....  Much of what you need depends on the resolutions you run.  Not everyone is running a 20+ inch monitor at 16xx X 12xx (or higher).

Some people still play at 1280 x 1024 or 1440 x 960 (wide screens were pretty common with this for a while).

Obviously as you increase resolution what you say pretty much becomes computer fact.

*edited* a typo that was bothering me.  I left the other ones becuase I was fine with those...

Originally posted by Sir_Drip

OK.... is that better ?  JFC!  The 8000 series are next to be obsolete !

No again you are wrong,I see you posting alot in this thread and the other 1 about the 4790 card and tbh I really dont think you have done any sort of homework but just splattering out some nonsense.

Sorry I have tried to show you were you are going wrong but instead of just saying "ohh yeah maybe I never checked that"you insist on going on about obselete cards while the cards you say are mid range are worse than the one's you are condeming.

I would recommend you stop giving players advice and spending there money,I am no expert thats for sure but  I do know you have never checked anything about gaming cards except there number.

If someone had came up to me in 1980 when I was on my Atari 2600 and said we will be playing games with thousands of people at the same time.I guess my response would have been,"but I only have 2 joysticks"

"ou might want to clarify that as being some certain minimum resolution.. because I'm pretty sure I could still google up the articles that lead to the 9600 GT becoming the hot seller it was and why....  Much of what you need depends on the resolutions you run.  Not everyone is running a 20+ inch monitor at 16xx X 12xx (or higher)."

As I said I never had a problem with with settings,here is 1 benchmark I quickly found.

http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MTQ2Niw3LCxoZW50aHVzaWFzdA==

At any rate.....I wouldn't get anything below a 9800GTX+/GTS250

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

"Freedom is just another name for nothing left to lose" - Janis Joplin

Maybe I am mis-reading if I am then I am sorry.
    You do know that the 8800gt card is a better gaming card than the 9600 and other lower 9000 series cards?
    The higher the number does not make it a better card.
    Like I said if I am mis-reading your post then I am sorry.It is just the way you have them listed and the part about games in the future saying min specs of a 8000 series card with recommended specs of a 9000 series card....as that wouldnt make any sense.

• ArakaziArakazi Member UncommonPosts: 911

Thanks for the advice everyone - I'm now completely confused! Anyway from what I've read from various reviews 8800gt is pretty comparable to the 9600 (I wish they would give these cards proper names, I get confused between a 9600 and 9800). I wouldn't call a 8800 a entry level card or close to being obsolete. An entry level card or low range card is something like a 9500gt - not really meant for games but works well. To me an obsolete card doesn't support direct x10 or won't work on the latest games. I think the 8800 still has some life in it yet, if I had it I would expect it to be good for a year. From what I've read in the various tech site the Nvidia 9 series has been a let down - many accusse the 9800 of being nothing more than a 8800 with a new label stuck on them performance wise... the 8800gt out peforms some of the 9800 models read into that what you will.

• AznmaskAznmask Member Posts: 178

If the 8800 card is now low range then I take it the 8400,8600,9600 and ofc 7 series cards are totally useless,even though they can run the latest games anywhere between medium and high settings?
    Also if the 250 card is mid range what sort of a high range do we have,maybe 1 or 2 cards?
    Seems you are bracketing everything from the 9800 card and lower as low range,even though there isnt a single game out there that I cant run on the highest settings with the 8800 card,or are you basically going by the age of the card and if it is a year old then is basically obselete? 

my friend you can run the game doesn't mean it can run smoothly. I know the 8800 still a good card.. but it is not an mid range card (that what i think). Since the OP want to run Age of conan. Exactly 1yr ago i have no choice that why i bought the 8800 czu it is not bad for $150 at that time. But now you have plenty of choice.. like the GTS 250.

maybe my rating is base like

low = below $100

Mid = above $100 - $199

High = over $200+

• SubL_JediSubL_Jedi Member UncommonPosts: 75

"ou might want to clarify that as being some certain minimum resolution.. because I'm pretty sure I could still google up the articles that lead to the 9600 GT becoming the hot seller it was and why....  Much of what you need depends on the resolutions you run.  Not everyone is running a 20+ inch monitor at 16xx X 12xx (or higher)."
    As I said I never had a problem with with settings,here is 1 benchmark I quickly found.

agree with the above post. 9600 is just the best bang for your buck!

Now Playing: Guild Wars 2/ Diablo 3

• AznmaskAznmask Member Posts: 178
    Originally posted by SubL_Jedi

lmao who ever did that review should be get shot!! a true bias review, basically the review keep saying the 9600GT is better.

9600GT will never better than a 8800GT.. 

• SubL_JediSubL_Jedi Member UncommonPosts: 75

Originally posted by Aznmask

lmao who ever did that review should be get shot!! a true bias review, basically the review keep saying the 9600GT is better.

This post wasn't for a friggin comparison he asked what's a good mid range card. You could have saved the time and energy to write that,,,

Now Playing: Guild Wars 2/ Diablo 3

Originally posted by Aznmask

Sorry maybe you should read the review again,they say quite a few time's that the 8800gt card was better than the 9600,try reading it again.

here is the final qutoe from the review,incase you missed it.

"Price is going to be the most important aspect of the GeForce 9600 GT. The price of GeForce 8800 GT is falling to sub-$200 levels. Unless you find a GeForce 9600 GT at the low end of the MSRP it may be smarter to shell out the extra cash for the 8800 GT. In all of our testing the 8800 GT performed better, as expected. The BFGTech GeForce 9600 GT falls right under the 8800 GT in terms of the gameplay experience provided while providing a better experience than the Radeon HD 3850 or 3870."

I think I remember you complaining in another thread about the driver's and mmo's.

I honestly think there is something wrong on your end,I dont know your other specs or where you are getting the driver's,I wont insult you by saying about old driver's as you have made that point clear,though dont you think it is funny that there only seem's to be you complaining about this?I mean if it really was a problem with the new driver's and mmo's there would be about 30 thread's on this forum alone about it?

I would honestly check your system as on these new drivers I have played 3 mmo's with nps what so ever,also alot of games like LFD,MoD4,etc again with nps.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by Cleffy

AoC- Plays better with ATI.
    Vanguard- Plays better with nVidia
    Star Wars- Not sure since there aren't benches on the Hero Engine.

Which card you get depends on how much you are going to spend.  Alot of cards have actually fallen in price to whats considered midrange.

Say what? AoC have a lot of problems with ATI, check the official forum about it. There have even been some paranoid ideas that Funcom got paid by Nvidia to make ATI cards perform badly.

There are other games that ATI perform better in but not AoC, where did you get that idea?

To the OP: The 260 GTX performs rather well for it's price, it can run AoC ok with every slider maxed out (on a 3.0 core2duo, XP and 3 GB memory, my friends computer). I have a 280 GTX myself, nice card.

• KyntorKyntor Member Posts: 280

Newegg.com is running a sale on the 4850.  I don't have much experience with the manufacturer, but it has good reviews.

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161259&CMP=AFC-C8Junction

It is a total of $74 after rebate and coupon code VGA5271 (10%).

"Those who dislike things based only on the fact that they are popular are just as shallow and superficial as those who only like them for the same reason."

• OrphesOrphes Member UncommonPosts: 3,039
    Originally posted by solareus

8800Gt  mid range card, testing the PhysX with Farcry 2 :

From what I read earlier, I should of seen a major difference between PhysX and no PhysX, kind of seems PhysX does little to nothing for Farcry 2 ....

Wait here a little bit. Even though I I don't think that PhysX is the end all solution to physics.

But PhysX is not in any way shape or form a optimization that you run a game under. You should not expect a game to run faster with physx enabled, compared to it being disabled, regardless of hardware acceleration. You could be prepared for that running a game that have PhysX hardware acceleration support to lower the stress(the extra stress added by the physics) when running it with a card supportinh PhysX hardware acceleration.

Running a game with PhysX on will put the card under more stress and lower the FPS, in some cases more and in some cases less. Now I do not know what PhysX there is in FarCry 2 but in the end you may be contradicting to what you are saying and a positive thing in the cause "pro Nvidia".

So you really should if not that is what you have done (it is a bit unclear), and if possible, show the difference in running the with physics enabled and not enabled and compare it to hardware acceleration and not hardware acceleration. Show the difference on an ATI card and enable/disable PhysX.

I'm so broke. I can't even pay attention.
    "You have the right not to be killed"

• iNeokiiNeoki Member UncommonPosts: 353

I've had my XFX 8800GT Triple xXx edition for over a year now and love it, plays all the games perfectly and you can get it for about 150-160 bucks.

TwitchTV: iNeoki

• eyeswideopeneyeswideopen Member Posts: 2,414
    Originally posted by NeokiNaomi

I've had my XFX 8800GT Triple xXx edition for over a year now and love it, plays all the games perfectly and you can get it for about 150-160 bucks.

Or buy a 9800 GT for the same or less.

-Letting Derek Smart work on your game is like letting Osama bin Laden work in the White House. Something will burn.-
    -And on the 8th day, man created God.-

• cybertruckercybertrucker Member UncommonPosts: 1,117

go 9800GT for sure. About the same price  as a 8800 and just an overall better card more powerefficient and faster.

• CyberWizCyberWiz Member UncommonPosts: 914

This is a nice chart to check what cards are comparable in performance :

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-geforce-graphics,2296-6.html

The 8800 Ultra, 9800 GTX, 9800 GTX+ and GTS 250 all perform pretty close to eachother and are variations of the same architecture, they are all overclocked versions of the 8800 GTX and 8800 GTS 512MB.

On a sidenote, I overclocked my old 8800 GTS 512MB way beyond the GTS 250 default clocks.

The good old 9800GT is still a good performer and the exact same card as the 8800GT

The 9600GT is also ok, but imho getting on the slow side.

Personally I would go for the GTS 250 ( exact same specs as the 9800GTX+ ), that is your current midrange card, it is still based on the old 8800 architecture.

To the person who asks what is currently the high end, I tell you everything based on the new architecture : GTX 260, 275, 280, 285 and 295, which is more then 1 or two cards :p

Greetings

If you are interested in subscription or PCU numbers for MMORPG's, check out my site :
    http://mmodata.blogspot.be/
    Favorite MMORPG's : DAoC pre ToA-NF, SWG Pre CU-NGE, EVE Online