Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Population post-billing?

MahloMahlo Member UncommonPosts: 814

I tried Ryzom for a month or so last year when it was re-opened free. There seemed to be a bit of renewed interest in it then. How's the population looking since they brought back subscription? There doesn't seem to be much of a buzz now. If it doesn't get players now I'm not sure it ever will.

Comments

• JGMIIIJGMIII Member Posts: 1,282

It's a small community.

Imo ryzom will probably always have a small community.

The newbie zones seem to be doing well.

ML is massive so even with a large playerbase you could go an entire day hunting and not see anyone.

I know Uni chat is buzzing.

Whether its pop went down or up since the billing I can;t  really tell it seems the same as it did around january.

Playing: EvE, Ryzom

• BjornulveBjornulve Member Posts: 55

Unfortunately i missed all of the Free time, but I'm happy to P2P. I just stared again after a long break and IMO, the low-level areas are well populated. I started a new char to reacquaint myself with the game and finding a group has always been super easy. (last 2 weeks or so)

However one does feel about the community size, I always felt that the community sometimes seems a little smaller than it really is because Atlas is just so darn BIG. Even during BETA when there tons of players I could always find a place to dig in quiet without seeing another Homin for hours and hours. Throw up a "/who" command in-game to see who is in your area.

see you in game

• PiquedramPiquedram Member Posts: 127

looks like we're getting more and more new people though, Silan today held qutie a few new souls.

• CodenakCodenak Member UncommonPosts: 418

I just did the trial, then signed up, for a year, saw quite a few other newbies on Silas when i was there too.

• SherkalynSherkalyn Member Posts: 105

We can only hope that new patches and events will bring even more people ! (and the event is awesome, so don't complain about the Kitins of the Depths, please !)

---------
    Sherkalyn
    Crazy Marshmallow Lady
    Guild Leader of The Exodus Syndicate in Ryzom
    "Experience Perfection :: Unharness Your Power"
    www.exodusgs.com

• MahloMahlo Member UncommonPosts: 814

Well, I created a new account to see what the population was like and I have to say it's pretty dead in the newbie area. I went in last night and this morning and I saw no more than one or two other players. I was considering upgrading the account I made last September during the free period, but this puts me off. I wonder what the subscription figures are currently.

• MariannMariann Member Posts: 200

I don't know how many new people would be sticking around Silan, since on the Mainland is an event going on.... and even as a new person you can earn Honor points for yourself.

Please note that you are no longer restricted to Silan with an unsubbed account.. the only restriction is that at the end of three weeks you have to pay or you can't play.

If you happen to be in Silan, type /who and check the sys.info tab on the chat box... this will show you who is in the region.

Hope this clarifies things a bit, since I have seen a number of new people in Pyr lately.

Moonlightmist

Well, I've moved to the mainland and managed to see one other player in about five minutes. And he wasn't a noob. I haven't been to any event, but clearly there are very few new players joining Ryzom. The only other time I've seen newbie areas so empty was trying AO again recently. But that game is 8 years old, and looks it.

The lower population never bothered me. It's what makes Ryzom community the way it is. I don't think it would be the same if the servers had thousands upon thousands of players, I don't think people would be that friendly and helpful if the survival of their world wasn't so depending on it. Atys is a dangerous place, people help each other to make sure their home doesn't disappear again. They try their best to give a headstart to the new arrivals with the most potential. How you act in your first few days is very crucial, it will probably determine your future as a homin. There are are those who succeed at finding help and those who... just don't. And then there are those who take pride on being independant and autonomous.

I don't think you'll find a more welcoming bunch of people anywhere else... unless you're being negative on purpose. I have to warn you that homins don't tolerate negativity very well... We KNOW that the population is not very high, we are doing our best to improve it and we consider it is not a valid pretext to not enjoy Atys. Consider this planet as a very dangerous one where the survival rate of homin inhabitans is not very high... only the strongest ones stand a chance to last. Some disappear forever, some return after a long absence.

Are you a strong homin or are you a weakling ? Are you able to persevere and reach your goals or are you waiting for them to be spoonfed to you ? Atys is a huge planet, it is normal that people are scattered everywhere.

---------
    Sherkalyn
    Crazy Marshmallow Lady
    www.exodusgs.com

I'm not saying there should be thousands upon thousands of players. But the current situation can be no good for the future of the game, as you acknowledge by your comment about trying to change it. You say you don't mind the low population, but how would you feel starting now as a newbie? I imagine grouping would be very difficult. I actually solo games quite a lot, but still, I don't want to feel that I'm playing a SP game. I created this account to see the situation before upgrading my account, which I played last year for a few weeks. So it's a quite low level character. My experience has put me off. Maybe I'll sub for a month. Show support and try to help figures. But I'd expect to feel pretty lonely.

• Samira24Samira24 Member Posts: 23
    Originally posted by Mahlo

I'm not saying there should be thousands upon thousands of players. But the current situation can be no good for the future of the game, as you acknowledge by your comment about trying to change it. You say you don't mind the low population, but how would you feel starting now as a newbie? I imagine grouping would be very difficult. I actually solo games quite a lot, but still, I don't want to feel that I'm playing a SP game. I created this account to see the situation before upgrading my account, which I played last year for a few weeks. So it's a quite low level character. My experience has put me off. Maybe I'll sub for a month. Show support and try to help figures. But I'd expect to feel pretty lonely.

im a newbie too and yes the population in the newbie area is low. However the people all know that and apreciate helping and to be helped more than in "mass" games, where you often wait 15 minutes till the healer joins the group and once he has his quest done, has to suddenly leave for real life issues.

What i am trying to say is, that the community is wonderful in Ryzom - and perhaps it has to do with being so few. See it as a benefit, - so far i do see it as one - achieving a group goal feels even more rewarding and you keep in touch with those who helped you, whereas in titles with mass population you usually feel very anonymous.

Patience helps, remembering that you once needed help with something too helps, giving things time helps.

Wanting it all and now and handed on a silver plate -> go play LOTRO.

Talk in Uni.  Let people know you are out there, ask questions.  Get to know the community.

Please note that there is an event going on... and unlike in other games this is a world changing event.  What this means for you is that players are working toward the future of Atys... and you can help, it will hopefully benefit you and others in the future.

http://forums.ryzom.com/showthread.php?t=34293#post463795

Moonlightmist

Well, I've moved to the mainland and managed to see one other player in about five minutes. And he wasn't a noob. I haven't been to any event, but clearly there are very few new players joining Ryzom. The only other time I've seen newbie areas so empty was trying AO again recently. But that game is 8 years old, and looks it.

I also feel that this response deserves a reply, and I also agree that your comments in this thread are beginning to look like you are being negative on purpose, however

You mentioned AO being 8 yrs old, well Ryzom is going on 6 years (my original account is over 5 years old).

I would also say, that unlike most games, there is very little, if any need to create alternate or additional characters in Ryzom. If you want to change professions you just DO something else. --> no need to make a new character. I mention this because it means that every person you see on Silan or any other low-level area is indeed a new/ low level character, rather than a perchentage of them being old/ high level characters creating new alts.

I would also like to point out that people have informed you more than once that you need to use the "/who" command if you want to know who is in the area with you. Atlas is simply too big, to try and see who is around you.

I don't know this for sure, because it has been a while, and I never bothered to check, but I doubt that sitting inside the village, the /who command would even tell you how many people were on Silan, because my guess is that the island is still divided into more than one (I'd guess at least 3) different zones.

In your previous post, you admitted being a lower level. Which is totally fine, but it also seems that you may have moved to the mainland for the main purpose of looking for players. I can't know your level, but I'll assume you moved slightly early, or havn't leveled much since your original "couple of weeks" in the game. Well, I created another character so that I could play with my brother as he is also new to the game, and before I ran into my little billing issue (the only reason that I've been here for a week), we were both well on our way to reaching lvl100 in our main fighting skill. As I mentioned in a previous post, Neither of us ever had any trouble finding a group around our skill level for hunting. And I would also mention that my schedule is not exactly compatable with my brother's so often we were both having to find other peole to level with. (unless it was a weekend, when we were 2 looking for more). Again, I'm not criticizing you for not being a higher level, but really, how long do you expect new players to wait around for you to level, if your aren't leveling your character. Yes, you did move to the mainland, but I suspect that your level is realitively low, so how far did you venture?? I doubt at this point you are going to find many players around capitol cities because once you are lvl 50 or so (maybe a little higher), you are easily able to travel to one of the outposts/ other areas to continue leveling. Again, at this point, even using the /who command may not be very helpful because you are no where near a comperable level to those who recently started playing when Ryzom went P2P again.

QUESTION: Did you talk to the non-noob that you saw?? If you were the same race, then I would argue that he was a new player, as I can't imagine any vet hanging out in the capitol. From past experiences, I can easily go 4-5 weeks before needing to unload goods into my apartment. (I like to harvest). I only mention this because if I had to guess, this person was also a new player, who didn't seem new to you because you are basically sitting around letting everyone else pass you by.

Regardless, you said that while on Silan you did see a few people when you logged both in the morning, and at night. While you didn't say whether these were the same people, assuming you logging in at to different times to check for players at two different TZ's, you have already admitted to "seeing" (again a bad tactic) 5-6 players min playing on that particular day who all must have just created accounts within the previous few days- week maybe. Again, all from only logging in for 10-15 min at a time. If Silan is indeed divided into 3 areas, then we can already triple that number or more. Typically players in the village = crafting or taking a break/ doing nothing, while zones farther away = more players/ people who are leveling thier avitars. How many new players do you expect/ desire, especially from an older title?? Are there 1000's of players joining every day? --> NO, but nobody has ever claimed that there was. Are there new players joining every day? --> If there isn't, I'm certainly seeing a number of new faces everyday more than I could keep track of.

But why bother explaining this to you? it seems like you already made up you mind long before replying to any posts here.

• CodenakCodenak Member UncommonPosts: 418

There's also an event on atm, lots of players are busy building watchtowers, which means they arent around the capitals much.

I would be but i have to build my fame up (to 10, yes i know its a huge amount to need :) ) but i chose to make my homeland the Tryker area and I'm a Fyrosian fire child :)

Soo i'm trying to cram in getting fame to help my guild out, while improving my character, means i'm not around the capital much either.

Originally posted by Bjornulve

But why bother explaining this to you? it seems like you already made up you mind long before replying to any posts here.

No I didn't. That's why I created the trial account. To see for myself. I'm glad I did.

No I didn't. That's why I created the trial account. To see for myself. I'm glad I did.

I have noticed that there are very few people at some of the capitals, and have gotten the feeling that newer players seem to be feeling left out.

So, I will be splitting my time between event work and helping newer players... If you see me online, just send me a pm.  I will try to help you if I am able.

Moonlightmist

Also, some of the capitals are much more active than others... fairhaven is probably the most populated, while Pyr comes second or even third and Zora... is pretty much a ghost city most of the time because not many players chose to be blue... it also shows up in the current event progression as to which towers are being built the fastest.

http://atys.ryzom.com/api/ke0904.php?shardid=ari : here you can follow the tower building progression. It shows where most people are putting their forage and trekking efforts.

Also, at low levels, it takes much less experience to gain levels compared to mid or higher levels, which means players will fly through them very quickly, and after a week they'll be way past 50 in their first specialty. It goes even faster if a veteran helps them by gearing them up and providing them experience catalysers (double-XP consumables).

In this game, the stronger ones help the weaker ones, but not at just any given cost. It's not the "I'm too uber to play with you" attitude that you'll get from vets towards noobs in other games, but people will still react to your attitude. If you are patient and civilized, you'll get helped. If you're going "Gimme, gimme NOW!" you'll get tossed on the side because your survival chances will be judged as low and people won't want to lose their time and pixels investment into a rude someone that will probably quit very soon anyways. Yes, I did say investment, because people will consider newcommers as potential recruits for their guild and also as people who will contribute to the future survival of the game with their subscribtion.

Investing in people who, right from the start, look at the game with a negative eye, is most often considered a waste of time : most often they quit even if you try your best to help them. It is depressing and frustrating even the best and most helpful people to see their efforts go to waste. This is why most people focus on helping the most promising newcommers, the ones who come with an open mind, the ones who are most likely to survive on Atys and remain with us.

If you snob the community because of its low numbers, how do you expect it to come and help you get started ?

---------
    Sherkalyn
    Crazy Marshmallow Lady
    www.exodusgs.com

EDIT:

I was tired, and not thinking clearly during my last post. There are a number of reasons why a person may want to create an Alt. Creating a character with a different race/ alliance combination is just one example that I can think of. Wnating to change you RP back story wwuld be another. I shouldn't have tried to get iside of others' minds.

Originally posted by Bjornulve

EDIT:
    I was tired, and not thinking clearly during my last post. There are a number of reasons why a person may want to create an Alt. Creating a character with a different race/ alliance combination is just one example that I can think of. Wnating to change you RP back story wwuld be another. I shouldn't have tried to get iside of others' minds.

*hugs* everyone gets tired now and then :)

I have alts too (about 9 of them)  some I play (on Silan) so that I know what I am talking about... One I keep deleting and starting over, cuz I just can't see myself being blue and a couple of others to help with the dig and storage issues that Moonie has :)

Moonlightmist