Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Thinking of coming back, but I have a few questions

I know their is plenty of AoC hate, but what I am looking for is an honest answer.  My husband and I unsubbed from AoC right before the mergers.  We loved the look and the feel of the game however, we are more casual gamers and found that there was nothing to do at the end other than roll and alt and play it again.  Crafting was not what we were hoping for and while we could go on the occassional raid most week nights were a few hours logged in and then off to bed, so we didn't have time to stick around for long raids or sieges.  There was nothing for us to do on those nights and so we found ourselves watching more and more tv to the point we were like why are we paying for a game we aren't playing?!

I just played the trial and remember how much I love the feel and look of the game but I wonder if their are still these problems in the end game?  I don't mind rolling alts but I don't want that to be the only option for a casual gamer.  We went back to wow purely because of the crafting and options for the casual gamer at the end.  I am really tired of WoW and looking to come back to AoC but I don't want to be dissapointed again.

If I could get some honest feedback from people who are still playing, just left, or just joined back up that would be really great.  I believe my characters should have been moved to the Set server.

Thanks in advance!

Currently Playing: FFXIV:ARR
Looking Forward to: Wildstar

Comments

• SabradinSabradin Member Posts: 772
    Originally posted by Brialyn

I know their is plenty of AoC hate, but what I am looking for is an honest answer.  My husband and I unsubbed from AoC right before the mergers.  We loved the look and the feel of the game however, we are more casual gamers and found that there was nothing to do at the end other than roll and alt and play it again.  Crafting was not what we were hoping for and while we could go on the occassional raid most week nights were a few hours logged in and then off to bed, so we didn't have time to stick around for long raids or sieges.  There was nothing for us to do on those nights and so we found ourselves watching more and more tv to the point we were like why are we paying for a game we aren't playing?!
    I just played the trial and remember how much I love the feel and look of the game but I wonder if their are still these problems in the end game?  I don't mind rolling alts but I don't want that to be the only option for a casual gamer.  We went back to wow purely because of the crafting and options for the casual gamer at the end.  I am really tired of WoW and looking to come back to AoC but I don't want to be dissapointed again.
    If I could get some honest feedback from people who are still playing, just left, or just joined back up that would be really great.  I believe my characters should have been moved to the Set server.
    Thanks in advance!

I'm in the same boat and I don't think theres anything there to really do (endgame speaking).  I'm not currently playing, nor have I just left.  Just keeping a watchful eye on whats going on because I made a promise. If the game gets an endgame worth doing, I'll come back and jump right back on my lvl 80 dt.  I liked the combat, but not in an end in itself.

Theres a new patch coming up shortly and it should make the items more meaningful (in the endgame situations that are there).

Recently I've had to the fear though that the big stuff that we're really wanting (that will bring us back) will be in the expansion.

I don't know what that will be, but I hope its good.  And if it is I may have to swallow my pride, forgive, and come back to try.

I know all the warning signs people hold (I had a failcom avatar once and followed the game over a year before release).  Heh, I remember the first let down when they were scheduled to release in October (I think it was) of 2007.  Honestly I think in my heart I knew what kind of game it was going to be at that point (just because of the way they handeled it with all the hype and everything and then a happy 5 month delay, followed by more).. but my mind didn't want to let go. 

So I understand the arguement that my willingness to go back is just my mind not wanting to fully let go.. but damnit, I've got to try! lol

but, honestly, if I do go back it will only be until mortal online comes out, and then star wars after that.

Just when you think you have all the answers, I change the questions.

• CrashloopCrashloop Member Posts: 885

Depends what you mean with casual gamers, if you don't mind doing some of the T1 raids, these can be done in  an  hour or so, but does require a full raid of people knowing what they are doing. If this is out of the question you do have some group instances, and world pvp if you play on pvp server. Other then this there isn't really a great amount of endgame content for casual players. the crafting requires you to be in a guild with t3 city to craft it all, and recipes can be found in the group instances.

Playing: Battlefield - Bad company (Xbox360) Arma2, DFO (PC)
    On my radar: TSW, MO
    MMO's played: SWG (pre cu/cu), WoW, AoC, WAR, DFO, Planetside
    MMO's that I have tested: Lotro, L2, Aion, Ryzom

• IthrasIthras Member Posts: 2

I have kind of the same question. I played when the game first came out on a system that really could not handle it. Now that I've got a computer ordered that can run it, I was wondering if they added more levelling content into the game. As it was before, I made it to level 20-30ish and it seemed like the content just stopped and you had to grind about 10 levels to get to the next batch of content.

If there's more to the game these days I'm tempted to come back.

• CrashloopCrashloop Member Posts: 885
    Originally posted by Ithras

I have kind of the same question. I played when the game first came out on a system that really could not handle it. Now that I've got a computer ordered that can run it, I was wondering if they added more levelling content into the game. As it was before, I made it to level 20-30ish and it seemed like the content just stopped and you had to grind about 10 levels to get to the next batch of content.
    If there's more to the game these days I'm tempted to come back.

The content  or lack of content that we saw on launch is pretty much gone. You still have a dry period from 75+ but this will be covered by tarantia common district. Also the dry period isn't that bad imo, but you find yourself doing some travelling to find the quests you can do to level up. many just find it easier to join a leevl group and go to Death masters camps in keshetta.

So if levelling content was the thing you ran out of that won't be a problem these days. In the range 20-40 you have 3 zones with quests, and you will have to visit at least 2 of them to get all the quests to level up.

Playing: Battlefield - Bad company (Xbox360) Arma2, DFO (PC)
    On my radar: TSW, MO
    MMO's played: SWG (pre cu/cu), WoW, AoC, WAR, DFO, Planetside
    MMO's that I have tested: Lotro, L2, Aion, Ryzom

• IthrasIthras Member Posts: 2

That's good to hear. I really, really want to like this game and rich history it has to draw on, but it just wasn't as I'd hoped it would be at launch. Once I get my computer in and set up I'll probably give it another go then. Thanks :)

• maxy1214maxy1214 Member UncommonPosts: 44

Im a new player and Im thinking of subscribing the game. I love the feel and look of the game. So far so good.

I think its better to play a game months after its released because the bugs and balances will be fixed by then. Not all things are fixed but at least some are made to make the players more contented with the game.

From what Ive read, people are coming back and want to try again. Theres certainly a lot of people on Set server and low level areas playing, and they say that the server is dead.

• BrialynBrialyn Member Posts: 184
    Originally posted by Crashloop

Depends what you mean with casual gamers, if you don't mind doing some of the T1 raids, these can be done in  an  hour or so, but does require a full raid of people knowing what they are doing. If this is out of the question you do have some group instances, and world pvp if you play on pvp server. Other then this there isn't really a great amount of endgame content for casual players. the crafting requires you to be in a guild with t3 city to craft it all, and recipes can be found in the group instances.

Some of that stuff is great and I would do that from time to time however it seems like on the nights when I have maybe an hour and don't feel like getting involved I don't really have much to do (got plenty of nights like that, stayed late at school grading papers, by the time I'm home its 7 pm, by the time I'm done with dinner and logging its 8 or 8:30 and I am needing to be in bed by 10 so that means logging out by 9:30...don't want to get into a group and bail so I'd like to do some stuff fiddling around, but there isn't really anything).  It isn't that I don't want to be in the guild raiding sometimes, I just can't.  During the week my playtime is limited and I can't promise every weekend either.  In WoW I will usually do some crafting, or a quick daily, or something along those lines.  I'm also in a guild in WoW and they are nice enough to late me raid with them on nights when I have the time, so I do that sometimes.  In FFXI I was usually fiddling with my mog house or crafting if I only had a little bit of time.  This to me is what is missing for the more casual gamer.  I really do love the look and feel of this game and though I might be able to deal with this stuff missing from AoC (yes you can craft but from what I can tell it still doesn't really matter) for a time, there is no way my husband will stay with the game.  He is BIG into crafting, much more than me, and if that is missing or not really effective in a game he isn't going to stay for long.

I really am looking for a way back in to the game but I will wait some more to see if anything else comes out for players like my husband and I.

Currently Playing: FFXIV:ARR
    Looking Forward to: Wildstar