Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

FUNCOM EVENT: Spectacular 1 year event in AoC - And the disaster goes on....

Comments

• mezlabormezlabor Member Posts: 133

I dont get what the big deal is here. I mean an event where nothign happens? What could be more appropriate to celebrate a year of funcoms ineptitude?

• go2hellgo2hell Member Posts: 5

AoC is considered a failure. That's not saying that it can't stay up and running but considering the promises and the amount of copies sold... Not even a fraction of those that bought the game stayed.

Apparently drunken brawling is still not there... Funcon is Hilarious.

• openedge1openedge1 Member Posts: 2,582

As I always keep repeating...love the game, hate the company..

My Motto.

After this little fiasco, all I can see is this in my head to Funcom!

Here is a gun, here is your foot...you know the drill since you have done it so many times before.

• UnfinishedUnfinished Member Posts: 881
    Originally posted by openedge1

My Motto.
    Here is a gun, here is your foot...you know the drill since you have done it so many times before.

FC customers have been saying that for 8 years, we tried to warn you

• drDamagedrDamage Member Posts: 60

Who cares about anniversary celebrations anyway???? Could be like Warhammer and have some BS "Live Event" every 29 hours to make everyone go on some "a hole" scavenger hunt so that you can't get a group for anything else. Would that make ya happy?

I think the reason AoC lost so many subs originally was quite simply because most of the people that bought the game had no where near the required hardware to run the game.... even IF it "met the minimum required specifications" Running the game and playing the game are two totally different things.

This game is pretty good, I would have to say it is one of the better games out right now. I might just log on there tonight now that I think of it.

Originally posted by Unfinished

My Motto.

FC customers have been saying that for 8 years, we tried to warn you

Incessantly repeating whiners really do have less of an effect on would be customers than you think though.

Still love, and will play the game

Thanks

• Bruticus_XIBruticus_XI Member Posts: 827

You'd figure that if a large group of people are in consensus, you should at least consider what they're saying instead of labeling them as "whiners".

Now, about this whole thing, it's pretty funny. I'd rather they celebrated their one year anniversary with 1.05, instead of a botched event like this.

• JackdogJackdog Member UncommonPosts: 6,321

The event isn't even the point of the matter, what matters was the execution or lack thereof.

If Funcom had never mentioned anything about a event there probably would have been some minor bitching, but life would have went on. Instead they got the players hyped up intentionally or not and then dropped the ball. Whether it was a communication error or they did really plan something spectacular and had a technical FUBAR matters not, the end result was they ended up will egg all over their face on this one.

I keep rooting for Funcom to get it together but time after time they just end up making fools of themselves with incidents such as this one. I feel for them and am sure they are trying as hard as they can but stunts such as this one just scream incompetence. Now of course the spin doctors are all over the internet trying to downplay and minimize the damage, but that once again that is just old school Funcom.  I am about to just resign to the fact that they cannot learn from the past.

I miss DAoC

• drDamagedrDamage Member Posts: 60

Good point Jackdog, but it certainly no reason to start slamming a game or the devs because an event didn't work out. Personally I would have rather them just left it alone and focused on the core game, but some marketing genious probably told them that the kids wouldn't be happy if there wasn't a parade and some free shit for the anniversary....

Overall the game is quite a good one. It is still not "THE" game for me but it is definately in the rotating top three.

• finaticdfinaticd Member Posts: 843

The Hype surrounding this event and it's failure to deliever and the cencorship and public relations spin by Funcom seemed pretty fitting of what happened a year ago and what continues to happen....so persona;ly I have no problem with this event and deem it a major sucess, though it is sad it seemed to disapoint fans...."fool me twice, shame on me."

EDIT: Since Funcom keeps doing the same thing over and over, I hope any potential consumer expectations of AoC's expansion and the secrete world are rock bottom low...Take Funcom's PR spin as gospel and don't post anything negative about those two titles huge short comings.

Funcom has reviewed all of its assets relevant for
    impairment testing. This process has led to
    recognition of an impairment loss of around
    3,1 MUSD for Age of Conan due to a decrease in
    numbers of subscribers for the game. Funcom Q4 10 report.
    http://forums.ageofconan.com/showpost.php?p=2926123&postcount=7 500 mains/alts on Tyranny in past 30 days - instead of merge servers let's open a new PvP server, again! http://forums-eu.ageofconan.com/showthread.php?t=106427

Lord I hate to agree with you open but that sums the whole situation up perfectly. If this was a first time or a rare occurance it would not be that big of  deal. Every company has a screwup nowand then, even Turbine, Blizzard and Cryptic, but I swear FC seems to have adopted SOE as it's role model.

I miss DAoC

The event was a flub up, Funcom as always proves they do not know how to run the game, and we players who love this game have to watch as they continue to drive the game into the ground.

Sucks.

Just wish MMORPG would do for Funcom what it did for SOE...it needs it's own thread period.

• AtomicZombieAtomicZombie Member Posts: 76

Reminder: Stay on topic

On the whole human beings want to be good, but not too good, and not quite all the time.

• todeswulftodeswulf Member Posts: 715

I'm usually first in line to defend AoC...but I got nothing for this.

Big embarassment.

• AzhoilAzhoil Member UncommonPosts: 11

nothing makes me want to come back to this game.

• magicradamagicrada Member UncommonPosts: 25

ROFLMAO

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872

"Love the game/Hate the company" seems in fact to be the only way to be able to bare the ongoing failure all around AoC.

btw: I'm missing their propaganda-tool on this forum to step in and twist and turn things about this event. Again digging out links to proof that the event was in fact a major success, you are all wrong, know nothing about the game and only a minority on certain servers got hit by a couple of lesser technical difficulties.

• daylight01daylight01 Member Posts: 2,250

I have to be honest this is just as bad as the release,

There was a post in the EU forums from 1 of the mods saying the event would start 1 hour,then they posted to say there wasnt event and it was just to give everyone a meeting place to let of there 8 hour C/D fireworks...

Sorry but if you follow the comments and timeline in this post it would seem they didnt have a clue as to what was going on so decided to pass the blame onto the players..

http://forums-eu.ageofconan.com/showthread.php?t=121967

I recently quit AoC but feel for the guys I left behind,yet another slap in the face,even if they had said there were some problems but would get something sorted later,or indeed if they had posted the right info of the <cough>event and that it was going to be all player made right at the start of that thread would have been something.

why have a player made event that all players could join in with in an area that is lvl 40+(ish),for the lower lvl guys to get to the said <cough> event led to higher lvl's clearing the way over and over again,If king Conan wasnt going to make an apperance then why not just do it beside say the temple of Mitra?

Yet another mess and tbh I still dont think they are being honest,just diverting the blame.

If someone had came up to me in 1980 when I was on my Atari 2600 and said we will be playing games with thousands of people at the same time.I guess my response would have been,"but I only have 2 joysticks"

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/235780/page/8

• Variant13Variant13 Member Posts: 83
    Originally posted by madmac101

nothing makes me want to come back to this game.

Whereas I'm almost tempted to spend the £9 or whatever just to join the fun on the official forums at the moment.

Not being a active player at the moment my whole take on this thing might be irellevant, but to me it just looks like a case of last minute planning. Someine last week noticed that this week was the 1 year anniversary and they tried unsucessfuly to put something together in a day or two. For whatever it is worth perhaps next year they will probably plan ahead a bit more assuming the game survives.

I miss DAoC

• stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519
    Originally posted by Jackdog

Not being a active player at the moment my whole take on this thing might be irellevant, but to me it just looks like a case of last minute planning. Someine last week noticed that this week was the 1 year anniversary and they tried unsucessfuly to put something together in a day or two. For whatever it is worth perhaps next year they will probably plan ahead a bit more assuming the game survives.

I think you nailed it on the head.

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

• D|CED|CE Member Posts: 197
    Originally posted by Unfinished

The massive Irony of this is beyond hilarious.
    I cannot think of a more appropriate way to mark the first year than to re-create what in essence was AoC's launch.

1) Make a lot of hype.
    2) People show up in droves
    3) FunCom does not deliver.
    4) Official response "YOU misunderstood"
    5) Mods begin censoring the 'WTF!?!?!" posts on the forums in hopes the world will never know.

They could not have made a better recreation of the birth of this game. Gratz to them!!

Pretty much sums it all up.

• B1itzkriegerB1itzkrieger Member Posts: 8

Yea I never really got to experience the event on US servers...but I heard it was a blast! :)

• kennyrogerskennyrogers Member Posts: 12

It's all a conspiracy. You have the right to hate the game. I don't care about that, but please stop with the conspiracy theories. 

And for all you haters out there. Watch out for the play off cat...

• alakramalakram Member UncommonPosts: 2,301
    Originally posted by Frobner

One year of Conan and Funcom was gonna hold a party !!
    http://forums.ageofconan.com/showthread.php?t=193795
    But guess what... Nothing has change.  The event turned out to be a total disaster and was chancelled on the US servers cause of bugs and performance issues. 
    http://forums-eu.ageofconan.com/showthread.php?t=121967&page=5
    Now... What exactly has changed since this game launched year ago ?  Other than the Forum ppl becoming better at their PR to save their face - deleting posts, banning ppl and locking topics.... Nothing.  Nothing has changed.   Its still the same incompetent group of ppl that are happy just as long they can fool some ppl into buying and subbing for the game 1 more month...  As a game... AOC is a disaster - and will always be considered to be a warning to both gamers and developers how NOT to do things when it comes to MMORPGs.

Muhahahahaha what a shame!