Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

If you want to debate about Evolution, Watch this video first.

GameloadingGameloading Member UncommonPosts: 14,182

It has come to my attention that many people who wish to argue against the theory evolution don't understand what it's abotu and how it works.

If you want to believe evolution is true or not, thats up to you but if you want to debate it, you better have a basic understanding of the theory.

This video has been posted multiple times, but as I continue to see people making the same basic mistakes about evolution, I assume the video has been overlooked so I decided to give it its own thread.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vss1VKN2rf8&feature=channel

This is a 10 minute video that explains you the basic concept of evolution.

Another misunderstanding i often hear is people saying it's "Just a theory" and "Not a scientific fact"

This is a  misunderstanding of a what a scientific theory is.

http://www.notjustatheory.com/

This is a very simple website that explains what a scientific theory is.

Comments

• Sneakers05Sneakers05 Member Posts: 316

Evolution cannot happen because I do not have a tail, a tail is not useless, it is more useful than the pinky toe. A dogs tail is useless but they still have one.

Evolution for humans is not possible.

• Squirt5Squirt5 Member Posts: 201

Why the name might be slightly inflaming to some, I highly highly recommend this video series:
    http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=AC3481305829426D&search_query=why do people laugh at creationists
    The series goes and eloquently rebukes everything creationists throw out.

Men fear thought as they fear nothing else on earth -- more than ruin -- more even than death.... Thought is subversive and revolutionary, destructive and terrible, thought is merciless to privilege, established institutions, and comfortable habit. Thought looks into the pit of hell and is not afraid. Thought is great and swift and free, the light of the world, and the chief glory of man. -- Bertrand Russell

That video fails to tell that in the bible it states there were beings that roamed the earth before adam and eve.

• GameloadingGameloading Member UncommonPosts: 14,182
    Originally posted by Sneakers05

Evolution cannot happen because I do not have a tail, a tail is not useless, it is more useful than the pinky toe. A dogs tail is useless but they still have one.

A dog's tail is not useless. It is both used for communication and balance, this is especialy true for hunting dogs who use their tail for quick balance.

Also a tail is not necessary for a humans survival in the type of environments humans live in.

Also, what video are you talking about? The video I posted has nothing to do with the bible.

• LeKinKLeKinK Member Posts: 899

Go to your local hospital and ask for picture of your bucket.  You will see a simili hole where we used to have our tail. Or just reach down there and feel it for yourself.

A human tail could of been very useful for our survival, not only could it be useful for grabbing a hold of things, but for communication as well and advance climbing. The chimp tail is very powerful i assume the human tail could of been just or even more powerful and useful.

A human tail could of been very useful for our survival, not only could it be useful for grabbing a hold of things, but for communication as well and advance climbing. The chimp tail is very powerful i assume the human tail could of been just or even more powerful and useful.

You still don't understand the theory of evolution.

Evolution does not support you with what you consider useful, only what is truly supportive of your survival. What do we need to grab with our tails which we can't grab with our hands? Seriously, you watch too much Dragon ball Z.

We don't need it for communication as we already have a primary form of natural communication.

We don't need it for "Advanced climbing" either because our species in general doesn't need to have advanced climbing for our survival. None of our top priorities require us to have any "advanced climbing skills"

Originally posted by Gameloading

Evolution does not support you with what you consider useful, only what is truly supportive of your survival. What do we need to grab with our tails which we can't grab with our hands? Seriously, you watch too much Dragon ball Z.

We don't need it for communication as we already have a primary form of natural communication.

We don't need it for "Advanced climbing" either because our species in general doesn't need to have advanced climbing for our survival. None of our top priorities require us to have any "advanced climbing skills"

WE dont have any need for our pinky toes and doesnt even move at all, yet we have always had them, thus Tail would of been a lot more useful than a pinky toe, how about appendix, the appendix is really useless as well, we have all still had them. What I am saying is the tail could of been a lot more useful for survival then useless things on our bodies.

Originally posted by Gameloading

WE dont have any need for our pinky toes and doesnt even move at all, yet we have always had them, thus Tail would of been a lot more useful than a pinky toe, how about appendix, the appendix is really useless as well, we have all still had them. What I am saying is the tail could of been a lot more useful for survival then useless things on our bodies.

Here you go:

http://www.decimation.com/markw/2007/07/09/what-evolution-left-behind-on-humans/

another thing is we all have a blind spot in our eyes, in both eyes where if you close one eye there is a spot in your vision where you cant see anything. No other creature has this but humans.

• TykeroTykero Member Posts: 349

Possibly one of the most ignorant and infantile arguments against evolution I have ever heard.

P.S. fun fact: humans are occasionally born with functioning tails.

It's imporant to understand that natural selection does not mean 'best.' It simply means 'adapted.'

The creatures that had happened to lose their tails and body hair but gained upright walking, opposable thumbs, and greater cognitive abilities happened to survive and reproduce.

-

It has never been observed in any laboratory that mutations can cause one species to turn into another. Despite this, evolutionists believe that given enough time, some animals will eventually evolve into other creatures.Sorry i fail to believe that one day on a specific time mutations started to happen. Just not Possible.

another thing is we all have a blind spot in our eyes, in both eyes where if you close one eye there is a spot in your vision where you cant see anything. No other creature has this but humans.

How is that relevant at all? Moreover, if you've got 'blind spots' in your eyes, you should probably see a doctor about scotoma.

-

It has never been observed in any laboratory that mutations can cause one species to turn into another. Despite this, evolutionists believe that given enough time, some animals will eventually evolve into other creatures.Sorry i fail to believe that one day on a specific time mutations started to happen. Just not Possible.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argument_from_personal_incredulity#Argument_from_personal_incredulity

Your ignorance of the subject does not dictate its validity, sorry.

Further:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E._coli_long-term_evolution_experiment

Edit: It's pretty obvious that you haven't even watched the video.

Just stop posting. You're making yourself look stupid.

-

• ArndurArndur Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,202
    Originally posted by Squirt5

Why the name might be slightly inflaming to some, I highly highly recommend this video series:

http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=AC3481305829426D&search_query=why do people laugh at creationists

I only watched the first video and part of the second and Im gonna have to say the guy he was proving wrong is a idiot. The times I have heard on ID the things that I watched were never brought up.

Hold on Snow Leopard, imma let you finish, but Windows had one of the best operating systems of all time.

If the Powerball lottery was like Lotro, nobody would win for 2 years, and then everyone in Nebraska would win on the same day.
    And then Nebraska would get nerfed.-pinkwood lotro fourms

AMD 4800 2.4ghz-3GB RAM 533mhz-EVGA 9500GT 512mb-320gb HD

• hllighthllight Member Posts: 6

That video fails to tell that in the bible it states there were beings that roamed the earth before adam and eve.

Adam and Eve never existed as the Bible states. It is more of a myth than a story. Biology doesn't work that way, either. I am a Christian and believe in God and believe in science, but it didn't work like that. I believe man was created and evolved, and did rebel against God. Man on his own decided what was right and wrong. We can see this in today's society. Thought have "instincts" on what's right and wrong, many people believe what's wrong is right, and what's right is wrong. The Bible is full of myths and stories, but myths and stories aren't always "lies" or "false".

As for evolution, it's true. Why are evolutionist trying to challenge a "debate"? You cannot debate that which is true. Evolution is real like the blood pumping through my veins. It can be seen and heard. This thread is meaningless in doing so. More so, many evolutionists don't believe in evolution, or understand it completely. Evolution describes how life EVOLVED, not how live CAME ABOUT. Many get the two mixed up and need to take 1st grade science class again.

Is nylon naturally occurring on Earth? No, it isn't the compounds used to make the polymer did not exist on Earth until 1935. Was there any species of bacteria capable of digesting, or breaking down nylon before it's creation? No. Is there one now? Yes.

The first was discovered in a pond containing the waste products of a nylon producing plant, and it is a strain of the Flavobacterium.

Furthermore in the lab scientists were able to develop a strain of the Pseudomonas aeruginosa bacterium to develop the enzymes to break down the nylon byproducts.

Furthermore scientists in the lab were able to transfer the Flavobacterium enzymes to the E. coli bacteria using a plasmid transfer.

Apparently someone hasn't done their research.

Men fear thought as they fear nothing else on earth -- more than ruin -- more even than death.... Thought is subversive and revolutionary, destructive and terrible, thought is merciless to privilege, established institutions, and comfortable habit. Thought looks into the pit of hell and is not afraid. Thought is great and swift and free, the light of the world, and the chief glory of man. -- Bertrand Russell

Originally posted by Arndur

I only watched the first video and part of the second and Im gonna have to say the guy he was proving wrong is a idiot. The times I have heard on ID the things that I watched were never brought up.

Yeah I should have said that, the first guy really is retarded but after about the 3rd video he only mentions him to make fun of him more. But it is a 29 part series, so he covers a lot and after the 3rd part he spends some time with Kent Hovind (dr dino lawl) and some of the more famous "creationists".

• PraetorianiPraetoriani Member Posts: 1,147

http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn14094-bacteria-make-major-evolutionary-shift-in-the-lab.html

You were saying?

As someone who has only a minor in evolutionary biology, I notice that even many people that support the theory of evolution know too little about it. Creationists that oppose the theory of evolution - from my experience - usually sound like they've never had a single lesson of biology, ever. It's annoying to debate anything like that.

• VhayneVhayne Member UncommonPosts: 632

Look guys, it's simple. 

Micro evolution is a definate fact.  MACRO evolution however is a ridiculous theory.  Yes, using the science and discoveries that have been made thusfar do make it "somewhat" believable (yes I said - believable, because you have to believe/have faith, that it's true).  But here's some easy questions for you since you're so much into this religion....

Explain to me how wings came to be.  Seriously.  Gradual changes in DNA through many years of development could perhaps create mutations that resemble wings.  These mutations when they begin can't possibly be advantageous to the current species, and they'd be eaten up, which stops that evolution line dead in it's tracks.  But let's say they ALL got super lucky and were able to survive long enough to gradually develop into something more resembling a wing.  This process would take a LONG freaking time.  And since they must've survived (because obviously they eventually developed into creatures with wings that can fly -- birds), then where are the remnants of these creatures? 

The same can be asked of pretty much any appendage on any creature.  Because according to the "theory" of macro-evolution, it all began as a single-cell organism, and over a very long period of time, mutations took place.

Now, in closing, I have a request.  Stop with the attacking of people who do not believe in evolution.  We're not all attacking you.  We don't call you stupid or uninformed, so don't do it to us.  Just because we CHOOSE to believe a certain way doesn't mean we're completely ignorant to the other.  Alot of us have been on your side in the past, but eventually simply changed our minds.  Those mind changing stories are something you should perhaps pay attention to.

Originally posted by Vhayne

Look guys, it's simple. 
    Micro evolution is a definate fact.  MACRO evolution however is a ridiculous theory.  Yes, using the science and discoveries that have been made thusfar do make it "somewhat" believable (yes I said - believable, because you have to believe/have faith, that it's true).  But here's some easy questions for you since you're so much into this religion....
    Explain to me how wings came to be.  Seriously.  Gradual changes in DNA through many years of development could perhaps create mutations that resemble wings.  These mutations when they begin can't possibly be advantageous to the current species, and they'd be eaten up, which stops that evolution line dead in it's tracks.  But let's say they ALL got super lucky and were able to survive long enough to gradually develop into something more resembling a wing.  This process would take a LONG freaking time.  And since they must've survived (because obviously they eventually developed into creatures with wings that can fly -- birds), then where are the remnants of these creatures? 
    The same can be asked of pretty much any appendage on any creature.  Because according to the "theory" of macro-evolution, it all began as a single-cell organism, and over a very long period of time, mutations took place.

Now, in closing, I have a request.  Stop with the attacking of people who do not believe in evolution.  We're not all attacking you.  We don't call you stupid or uninformed, so don't do it to us.  Just because we CHOOSE to believe a certain way doesn't mean we're completely ignorant to the other.  Alot of us have been on your side in the past, but eventually simply changed our minds.  Those mind changing stories are something you should perhaps pay attention to.

This post just describes, yet again, a fundumental lack of understanding of biology being used to argue against evolution.

"Hurr hurr, I'm so clever. Those scientists tasked with the very fact of coming up with issues with one of the most hotly debated scientific theories ever known never thought of this."

In reality, evolution does not work by just magically granting creatures new appendages. More frequently, it grants greater complexity to an organism. Wings likely started as (in super duper simplified form) simple arm-like appendages -> skin which allowed gliding -> powered flight / feathers -> powered flight. Over a very long period of time. It doesn't just go arm -> wing in the same way that it eyes didn't just pop out of holes in creatures' heads one day.

Double Edit: I would also like to point out that that is indeed the super duper simplified version. Things don't tend to evolve along a linear path of one trait at a time.

-

• Vato26Vato26 Member Posts: 3,930
    Originally posted by Arndur

You should watch the 4th one... that was the greatest one so far.  Hovind = epic fail!

Edit:  I take that back... the 5th is the best one.  LOL

Look guys, it's simple. 

http://www.ucmp.berkeley.edu/vertebrates/flight/evolve.html

• VhayneVhayne Member UncommonPosts: 632

Then please, with your all encompassing knowledge, please bless all of us "stupid" people with your explanation.  Answer my question, don't just tell me I'm stupid.  Answer the freaking question.

Look guys, it's simple. 

Edit: Link removed as it's already explained above

To say that a theory which is so widely accepted among the scientific community is a "ridiculous theory" is simply ignorant.

Also, who is "we" and "us"?