Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Senate votes to block funds for Guantanamo closure

VemoiVemoi Member Posts: 1,546

What!, huh? hey...what's going on?! I thought the Democrats were in charge of the Senate?

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D98A2QI81&show_article=1

Comments

• OuchmuchOuchmuch Member Posts: 340

Can't say I am surprised everyone wants it closed but no one really wants em in the country so now they are stuck.. if they close it they will have to find a new place keep them until they face trial.. and yes according to CNN Obama has decided to continue the trials they are just giving the detainees more rights.. as to if the location changes or not that may now be up in the air LOL.

I was actually suprised that the decision to continue the trials didn't have people here all up in arms :;shrugs::

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412

I think its kind of funny.  Dems have been preaching for this during this election cycle, but when it comes time to change it they realized the reality of it.  Personally, I would send the detainees to Virginia.  Growing up in Virginia, its a pretty good spot.  The CIA and FBI are literally right there.  There are also multiple military bases.  I definetly wouldn't send them to California.  Thats just cruel sending them to such horrible overcrowded prisons as the ones here.

• LaserwolfLaserwolf Member Posts: 2,383

All about 2010 elections. As much as I hate when politicians pad their resumes for re-election campaigns, American voters make it necessary. I don't think we were going to move anyone here without a plan in place first anyway, and as soon as a plan is submitted the money can still be released by vote. This is just posturing. I still have hope the place will be closed by the end of the year.

• Sneakers05Sneakers05 Member Posts: 316

I hope people know these terrorist leaving Guitanamo bay wont be roaming streets right? They will be kept in maximum security prisons like the timothy Mcveh was. Did he ever escape? No, matter fact you never hear ANY one escaping a high maximum security prison. I praise Obama for trying to do the right thing and democrats and republicans are both idiots for voting against this, its politics as usual over doing whats right.

• ZindaihasZindaihas Member UncommonPosts: 3,662
    Originally posted by Vemoi

What!, huh? hey...what's going on?! I thought the Democrats were in charge of the Senate?
    http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D98A2QI81&show_article=1

I think the biggest news in all this is that George W. Bush, you know that lousy President who just left office, is being vindicated in his prosecution of the war on terrorism.  Not only by this, but also by Obama's decision to resume the military tribunals.  Bush made the hard decisions and now we're learning, they were pretty good ones.  And Obama is also learning that there is a big difference between being a candidate and being President.

I don't remember this for sure, but weren't many of the Democrats in Congress criticizing Bush for detaining enemy combatants in Gitmo?  Well I'd like to see how they voted on this issue.

• LaserwolfLaserwolf Member Posts: 2,383

Whoa now bud. Not suprisingly your Fox News/Limbaugh/Hannity News Filter is letting you down once again. There are big differences between the two methods starting with the amount of detainees being tried in these military tribunals.

• FishermageFishermage Member Posts: 7,562

Rise of the NIMBYs.

Just goes to show ya that in the end,  all politics is local.

My main problem with Gitmo is they should have put it on one of OUR islands, like American Samoa or some such. I want American prisoners on American soil under American jurisdiction. Prisoners of war are held until the war ends. This war may not have an end, since we are fighting against a religious Jihad against us. Therefore, some of our prisoners in this war, usiang the old standards of war, may never be free again.

We need to come up with something new here.

First, they must be treated VERY well; and we must work to actually change and rehabilitate them so that they can be released when they are no longer a threat.

It's a tough situation, and I didn't envy Bush; nor do I envy Obama, nor do I envy the next several presidents who will have to deal with the biggest war in world history.

• outfctrloutfctrl Member UncommonPosts: 3,619

I think the best way to deal with the terrorist detainees is to keep them in Guantanamo Bay. If Obama wants to ensure that they have more rights/privileges/whatever you want to call it, he can instruct his Attorney General to give them to the detainees, but closing Gitmo only creates more problems.