Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is this really going to be First Person view only?

joeballsjoeballs Member UncommonPosts: 163

Seems like a big mistake to me. Who would want to be limited to just seeing what's in front of you in a game where your enemies can come from all directions? No peripheral vision makes no sense whatsoever. They should just add the whole zoom out, zoom all the way in option.

Comments

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • bmdevinebmdevine Member Posts: 429

Balls, please go to the game forum and look back through the threads a bit.  This has already been discussed ad nauseum in several threads, and you can always feel free to add your two cents to one of the existing discussions.

• Balkin31Balkin31 Member UncommonPosts: 224
    Originally posted by joeballs

Seems like a big mistake to me. Who would want to be limited to just seeing what's in front of you in a game where your enemies can come from all directions? No peripheral vision makes no sense whatsoever. They should just add the whole zoom out, zoom all the way in option.

You really needed to make another thread for this subject??

Just so ya know this will never change this game was created around this core feature along with many others... FPV is here to stay!

• alakramalakram Member UncommonPosts: 2,301

It's suposed to be more inmersive. You want peripheal vision. Ask a friend to go with you or move the mouse left to right a lot ;)

• NizurNizur Member CommonPosts: 1,417

Originally posted by alakram
    You want peripheal vision. Ask a friend to go with you or move the mouse left to right a lot ;)

Made me chuckle. :)

Current: None
    Played: WoW, CoX, SWG, LotRO, EVE, AoC, VG, CO, Ryzom, DF, WAR
    Tried: Lineage2, Dofus, EQ2, CoS, FE, UO, Wurm, Wakfu
    Future: The Repopulation, ArcheAge, Black Desert, EQN

• Lille7Lille7 Member Posts: 301

In a way it makes stealth a player skill, not a character skill, you can actually sneak up on people and stab them in the back :)

• ScoorgeScoorge Member Posts: 142

can you switch to third person view in RL? ever thought about the new possibilities that are opened by that limitation? flanking? backstabbing? more immersion? actually getting blinded and not just be locked in some stupid stun animation?

if you want to stand arround and spam 1-2-3 go back to "that game" sorry!

• LocklainLocklain Member Posts: 2,154

I have no problem with being restricted to FPV as it will give people a better chance to sneak up on another person.

As for the talk about realistic field of view, not only would the games need to support the resolution but you would also need one of these . . .

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2008/01/ces-2008-alienw/

It's a Jeep thing. . .
    _______
    |___image|
    \_______/
    = image||||||image =
    |X| \*........*/ |X|
    |X|_________|X|
    You wouldn't understand
  • DaakkonDaakkon Member UncommonPosts: 607
    Originally posted by Scoorge

can you switch to third person view in RL? ever thought about the new possibilities that are opened by that limitation? flanking? backstabbing? more immersion? actually getting blinded and not just be locked in some stupid stun animation?

darkfall has that

but then everyone just says it's a click fest

pls check out the latest info releases and especially the Powerpoint Presentation made available by StarVault. You seem to have not much clue about the actual goals and the developement of the game and comparing it to the sandbox abomination Darkfall hurts my eyes. www.mortalonline.com/files/presentation/MortalOnlinePresentation.rar

The guys there are not dumb and they saw Darkfall...im pretty sure they are smarter then our friend Tasos and they also actually communicate with people and not just post stupid crap on their own game forums. And besides of that they follow their own agenda and guidelines. but before this ends up in a pointless MO-DF debate..simply inform yourself first. all question will be pretty much answered.

May i remind you that all videos in the PPP are Alpha/Beta outtakes so dont expect much shiny...but they will give you prettym uch an idea of how it will work.

• LocklainLocklain Member Posts: 2,154
    Originally posted by OoMpAlOmPaZ

darkfall has that

I am thinking MO will be the same.  It will be hard to get away from either hitting 1,2, or 3 or just spamming the right mouse button.  Until the days of the skullcap become reality we will be clicking one way or another.

It's a Jeep thing. . .
    _______
    |___image|
    \_______/
    = image||||||image =
    |X| \*........*/ |X|
    |X|_________|X|
    You wouldn't understand
    Originally posted by Locklain

Originally posted by OoMpAlOmPaZ

darkfall has that

I am thinking MO will be the same.  It will be hard to get away from either hitting 1,2, or 3 or just spamming the right mouse button.  Until the days of the skullcap become reality we will be clicking one way or another.

very true. but from what one can tell so far MO will hopefully have much less hack&spam and mana missile madness then we know from DF for example.

combat seems to be more controlled and a tad slower and those hitboxes will also reduce spamming. People will try to hit certain hitboxes like the legs/arms or head for maximum effect..that cant be just spammed because your opponent will simply block it when you bash on him like a madman. So you will only release an attack when you are pretty sure you will hit. There is no "basic armor value" that calculates all incoming dmg and reduces it..so there will be not much sense in just throwing all you have on some guy or click like a moron..you will need precise and timed attacks.

not to mention friendly fire...no more mad mages standing on some damn house and spamAOE some zerg to hell and back.

I myself got pretty skeptical over the last years with all the poop we got served with the label MMO on it...but those guys could really do it an bring back a true sandbox with interesting combat..at least i hope that!

• thinktank001thinktank001 Member UncommonPosts: 2,144

Its true that it creates tunnel vision and doesn't offer a realistic FOV, but the game is being built around FPV so it should work out ok.  I would just check out vids or wait for a free trial if you are not quite sure. 

• Sad_PandaSad_Panda Member Posts: 131

FPV does a great many things to enhance the gameplay that the devs are creating for MO.  Sneak attacks, hiding, temporary blinding, etc. are possible in FPV because you don't have constant clairvoyance to see behind walls and corners and trees to see if danger is lurking.  Also, any of these things that can be used against you, you can also utilize in return.

• AmarantharAmaranthar Member EpicPosts: 5,801

Having played Darkfall, and the FPV it has for ranged attacks and magic, I have to say that I don't like it at all. It's very difficult to know what's going on around you while in combat, and especially hard to follow the other player when they run around your limited field of view.

I never liked FPV in the first place because it's like wearing blinders. But experiencing it in hand to hand combat myself, it's a game killer for me. The limited benefits of stealthing up behind someone or restricting views around corners and over hills are easily outweighed by the loss of natural visage and perception with peripheral vision and quick eye movements/glances. To add on the difficulty of knowing exactly where someone is when engaged in direct combat, and knowing where your friends are when they are right beside you, etc., is just too much.

Otherwise MO looks like a really good game, maybe the best to come along depending on how many players discover that they like sandbox better than DIKU. I have a very strong feeling that many more players will feel the same as me over the FPV, and that it will hurt them from out of the gate.

Once upon a time....

• SpoonpottSpoonpott Member Posts: 180
    Originally posted by Amaranthar

Having played Darkfall, and the FPV it has for ranged attacks and magic, I have to say that I don't like it at all. It's very difficult to know what's going on around you while in combat, and especially hard to follow the other player when they run around your limited field of view.
    I never liked FPV in the first place because it's like wearing blinders. But experiencing it in hand to hand combat myself, it's a game killer for me. The limited benefits of stealthing up behind someone or restricting views around corners and over hills are easily outweighed by the loss of natural visage and perception with peripheral vision and quick eye movements/glances. To add on the difficulty of knowing exactly where someone is when engaged in direct combat, and knowing where your friends are when they are right beside you, etc., is just too much.
    Otherwise MO looks like a really good game, maybe the best to come along depending on how many players discover that they like sandbox better than DIKU. I have a very strong feeling that many more players will feel the same as me over the FPV, and that it will hurt them from out of the gate.

Although I am very interested in seeing how it would work, I tend to agree with this post. MMORPGs have a lot going on during battles, and MO should be no different, from small gang pvp to bigger battles. This will certainly make voice comms essential to optimize group performance. I just hope it doesnt become TOO hard to be able to see whats going on.

The rules of Debate are really simple; once you have to stoop to insults instead of facts, logic, or reason to try and win your argument, you've lost.

• DAS1337DAS1337 Member UncommonPosts: 2,610

The answer is Yes.

Get over it.

• HorkathaneHorkathane Member Posts: 380

Well this is enlightening. At first I was going to write this game off as another shadowbane but with only FPV this makes open PvP more playable. I think allot of the outta control is due to 3rd person view. Most people can be reckless and safe knowing that theya re attacking someone and can see if someone comes to assist but now you can sneak up on someone and get the jump but you wont know if someone starts wacking you right after you are in battle.

• EvolvedMonkyEvolvedMonky Member Posts: 549
    Originally posted by Horkathane

Well this is enlightening. At first I was going to write this game off as another shadowbane but with only FPV this makes open PvP more playable. I think allot of the outta control is due to 3rd person view. Most people can be reckless and safe knowing that theya re attacking someone and can see if someone comes to assist but now you can sneak up on someone and get the jump but you wont know if someone starts wacking you right after you are in battle.

You mustve never played a fps.  Expect alot of FF specialy if you so happen to walk next to your team mate. Due to tunnel vision he'll attack you cause he sees movement.

Theres a reason why fps games end up being a benny hill show with click fest o rama.

Play CS, CoD, AoC (hl2 mod) TF2...etc etc.   CQ equals trying to run outside of your enemys tunnel vision and keeping him in urs as you Spray.  Hand to Hand, well play any CoD and youll understand why the best way to knife someone is to run to the extreme right or left of there person.  Only good thing about fpv is that your body doesnt get in the way of aiming in a shooter.

Also 3rd person view is more realistic.  The only time you see in tunnel vision is usualy when your about to pass out.  OBE excluded, We see in 3rd person all time its just most arnt aware of it. Your mind is aware of your body , its position and its surrondings.  How detailed said image depends on you.

Anyways it kinda sucks its FPV, kinda turns me off toward the game. But if everyone says its good, actualy good and not DF fanboi its good. Ill buy it.

Hopefuly you can see your body when you look down.  I feel like a floating head when all you see is empty space when you look down.

• DAS1337DAS1337 Member UncommonPosts: 2,610
    Originally posted by EvolvedMonky

Originally posted by Horkathane

You mustve never played a fps.  Expect alot of FF specialy if you so happen to walk next to your team mate. Due to tunnel vision he'll attack you cause he sees movement.

Theres a reason why fps games end up being a benny hill show with click fest o rama.

Play CS, CoD, AoC (hl2 mod) TF2...etc etc.   CQ equals trying to run outside of your enemys tunnel vision and keeping him in urs as you Spray.  Hand to Hand, well play any CoD and youll understand why the best way to knife someone is to run to the extreme right or left of there person.  Only good thing about fpv is that your body doesnt get in the way of aiming in a shooter.

Also 3rd person view is more realistic.  The only time you see in tunnel vision is usualy when your about to pass out.  OBE excluded, We see in 3rd person all time its just most arnt aware of it. Your mind is aware of your body , its position and its surrondings.  How detailed said image depends on you.

Anyways it kinda sucks its FPV, kinda turns me off toward the game. But if everyone says its good, actualy good and not DF fanboi its good. Ill buy it.

Hopefuly you can see your body when you look down.  I feel like a floating head when all you see is empty space when you look down.

Quite possibly the dumbest thing I've ever read on these forums, and that's saying a lot.

We see in third person?  What planet are you from?  We here on earth only see in first person.  We see out of the eyeballs that are located inside our heads that is attached to the rest of our body.  We do not see from floating eyeballs located some thirty yards behind us. 

I love when people compare a fantasy based MMO to a round based shooter.  They proclaim all is bad, while ignoring that the only similarity to the two games are that they are both first person view oriented.  Every other detail in the game is vastly different from one another.  There is not going to be any bunny hop button mashing, double-jumping off walls, spinning completely around and head-shotting someone while they are in a mid air freefall from an upper level platform through a hole in the wall the size of a grapefruit. 

Can we get off this now?  It is what it is.  Buy it or don't. 

• SlimfrogSlimfrog Member Posts: 77

I love when people compare a fantasy based MMO to a round based shooter.  They proclaim all is bad, while ignoring that the only similarity to the two games are that they are both first person view oriented.  Every other detail in the game is vastly different from one another.  There is not going to be any bunny hop button mashing, double-jumping off walls, spinning completely around and head-shotting someone while they are in a mid air freefall from an upper level platform through a hole in the wall the size of a grapefruit. 

Can we get off this now?  It is what it is.  Buy it or don't. 

I laughed SO fucking hard.

• FariicFariic Member Posts: 1,546

The FPV is supposed to bring back the old school dungeon crawling rpg feel.

If you remember the old DnD rpg's from the 90's. 

It's that FPV feel they are going for.

Bunny hopping isn't a problem as long as devs put in mechanics to eliminate that sort of play.

someone said something about CoD.  I don't know what one they're playing, but you can't do that in CoD4 or World at War.  Day of Defeat, the other FPS build off of Halflife, didn't allow it either.

I also agree with the guy that said that the 3rd person view is what turned DFO melee combat into such a mess.

• celee2222celee2222 Member Posts: 123

Thats the idea of these new MMOs

you are suppose to bekeeping your wits about you and need to look around and behind you offen

its about sneaking up on players and players being aware of their environment alot more

first person view is intended i think

• ZzuluZzulu Member Posts: 452

There will be no bunnyhopping because as you draw your sword you enter a "combat stance", which significantly slows you down. Jumping at that point will only serve to drain your stamina and make you an easier target.

As for first person view, I love it. My favourite game is Half-Life 2 and it made an excellent job of creating immersion from a first person perspective. Morrowind/Oblivion was also a whole lot of fun.

Not sure why people are so worried. I can only assume those people have little to no experiece of actually playing FPV games.

• iZakaroNiZakaroN Member UncommonPosts: 719

Have you played 3th person shooter? MO will have much of the feeling of FPS and that is great. That introduce many new gameplay elements into traditional 3-th person. The difference is just like between 3-th person adventure and 1-st person shooter game. It depend what you preffer. FP MMO segment is pretty emtpy so its great that MO will fill it up.

Where themepark games try to hide that they are copying WOW, games like Mortal Online and Darkfall make no attempt to hide their inspiration
    ______\m/_____
    LordOfDarkDesire