Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MO will have stat loss for pks?

kishekishe Member UncommonPosts: 2,012

I read a post in MO forums that spoke about stat loss...will MO have it and any idea how severe will it be?

Comments

• Axllow18Axllow18 Member UncommonPosts: 400

From what I've heard you lose stats if your killed while red.

But I havent heard anything about how much you lose. I couldnt find it on the forums, maybe someone else knows.

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

Yeah, I read a few things about it. Check the flagging system for more info: www.mortalonline.com/files/flagging/MO_Flagging.pdf

If I recall correctly the pk'er has to assemble 5 murder tokens to be flagged a murderer (as a victim you can choose to dish out a murder token on your killer through a list which shows the names of those who killed/attacked you recently). When the pk'er dies when flagged a murderer he will suffer a 10% stat loss for 20 hours. There is much more info in that pdf about how ffa pvp will be handled, but remember that the values are still subject to changes.

• adralaadrala Member Posts: 148

DarkPony pretty close but still untrue :)

The statloss system will most likely undergo some changes since the community was not happy with it.

They it was announced was:

Each player that has collected 5 Player kills when dies looses 10% of his skills. Permanetly.

However each kill count wears off with time. I think it was 5 hours per kill.

So is you kill 20 players always respecting these 5 hours you iwll never be flagged as murderer so you will never loose skills when killed.

In exchange the griefers that start killing as soon as logged will quickly loose skills and become an easy pray for PKKs.

Also it is important to know that if two guilds are in war the killin between these two guilds are not punished.

Originally posted by adrala

The statloss system will most likely undergo some changes since the community was not happy with it.
    Each player that has collected 5 Player kills when dies looses 10% of his skills. Permanetly.
    So is you kill 20 players always respecting these 5 hours you iwll never be flagged as murderer so you will never loose skills when killed.
    In exchange the griefers that start killing as soon as logged will quickly loose skills and become an easy pray for PKKs.

Also it is important to know that if two guilds are in war the killin between these two guilds are not punished.

Ouch. Permanently? So you will have to train again to catch up and stand a bigger chance to win a fight, I suppose.

Pretty harsh, to be honest. Though I can imagine a certain crowd not giving a damn about statloss and going for the kill no matter what sanction. But I reckon that group will be a lot smaller than what you see in DF, for instance.

• thinktank001thinktank001 Member UncommonPosts: 2,144
    Originally posted by DarkPony

Ouch. Permanently? So you will have to train again to catch up and stand a bigger chance to win a fight, I suppose.
    Pretty harsh, to be honest. Though I can imagine a certain crowd not giving a damn about statloss and going for the kill no matter what sanction. But I reckon that group will be a lot smaller than what you see in DF, for instance.

If it effects both primary and secondary skill that will be a big hit.  I almost think that it is too harsh, but then if you look at the types of players that prefer to play as griefers they normally don't really care about stats.   I like the idea that they offer some room with the tokens, but I sure hope the tokens must be handed out after death and before revival.  It would kind of suck to become a murderer while your crusing through town.

• kishekishe Member UncommonPosts: 2,012

it will limit newbie ganking so yeah, griefers will probably stay in DF.

PvPers can just declare war on every guild in MO.

• Balkin31Balkin31 Member UncommonPosts: 224

It's only permanent if you never raise that skill again.. You can simply start training the skill after losing some it.. it's not a big deal.... Just dont die as a PK with a murder count...

• Balkin31Balkin31 Member UncommonPosts: 224

Adrala here is right, while this may be the system for now the devs have stated that this is going to be up for review during beta. So changes may be coming depending on how that all turns out!

• EricDanieEricDanie Member UncommonPosts: 2,238

Nice to know. You know, things like this make the difference between a true PK (which is an art in these games) and a sissy griefer that likes to repeatedly kill random people in lowbie areas and feel like their good. This way only true PKs will follow the path of being an outlaw, only a minority is supposed to take this path, otherwise you have a retarded gank grief fest.

Originally posted by Vinterkrig

Originally posted by EricDanie

Nice to know. You know, things like this make the difference between a true PK (which is an art in these games) and a sissy griefer that likes to repeatedly kill random people in lowbie areas and feel like their good. This way only true PKs will follow the path of being an outlaw, only a minority is supposed to take this path, otherwise you have a retarded gank grief fest.

there are no levels, so no lowbie area, maybe a nooby area... but 20 noobs should be able to kill 1 griefer ;P

but all n all, don't play full pvp games if you can't deal without being ganked, seriously

Sure, but though I love to gank myself, there have to be certain pennalties. A complete gankfest where nothing can be achieved without dying many times would limit the sandbox realism to this game.

Take a real life 'sandbox' like the midwest a few centuries ago; sure you had highwaymen and robbers but they weren't waiting for you behind every single friggin' bush. 

I agree that pvp should always be an option and that is how the MMO team thinks about it too, but they are rightly trying to keep the amount of it more realistic compared to games like DFO.

I think that is great :) It will mean a bigger division between those who choose to be lawfull and those who choose not too. It permits the evil bastards among us to wear their murderer badge with 'honor' :>

there are no levels, so no lowbie area, maybe a nooby area... but 20 noobs should be able to kill 1 griefer ;P

but all n all, don't play full pvp games if you can't deal without being ganked, seriously

Sure, but though I love to gank myself, there have to be certain pennalties. A complete gankfest where nothing can be achieved without dying many times would limit the sandbox realism to this game.

Take a real life 'sandbox' like the midwest a few centuries ago; sure you had highwaymen and robbers but they weren't waiting for you behind every single friggin' bush. 

I agree that pvp should always be an option and that is how the MMO team thinks about it too, but they are rightly trying to keep the amount of it more realistic compared to games like DFO.

I think that is great :) It will mean a bigger division between those who choose to be lawfull and those who choose not too. It permits the evil bastards among us to wear their murderer badge with 'honor' :>

in midwest few centuries ago highwaymen and robbers had all permadeath turned on..MO doesnt have that so they have to balance it in other ways, hehehe

• RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730

An FFA PvP game doesn't necessarily have to be a land of psychotic anarchy.  There can and should still be some sort of social contract that is observed and enforced by the game.  Otherwise, you have Darkfall... and no one wants that.

But you sound like a tough guy.  So, if you're tough enough, I guess you should be able to handle the consequences of your griefing, right?

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

Originally posted by kishe

in midwest few centuries ago highwaymen and robbers had all permadeath turned on..MO doesnt have that so they have to balance it in other ways, hehehe

Exactly :>

• ZyllosZyllos Member UncommonPosts: 537

As a member of the community over there, what Darkpony has said it the basic jist of it. Some of the developers played UO, pre-trammel (of which I have no idea, never played UO) and explained that when you murder people, you become a red. The reds basically gives the players an indication that, "Hey, this character is an evil doer in some form or fashion." which allows players to react accordingly. The stat penality is there to help alliveate the endless ganking of people because lots of people do not want to take the risk of losing stats. There will be those who will want to stay red and that is completely viable.

The only issue with the mechanic is that some people will want to only gank those who are either weak or knowingly less skilled so that they have the least amount of risk. How the mechanic is set up, it enables such actions. A lot of people are afraid the mechanic will not hurt those who are wanting to gank people with low hp or just starting anew. This may not be an issue if the game is truely player skill based and even the newbie can own a veteran if that newbie can play well.

MMOs Played: I can no longer list them all in the 500 character limit.

• SpoonpottSpoonpott Member Posts: 180

As long as they balance it so that:

-Murderers are a minority of the playerbase.

-Murderers are actually good PVP'er and not just eve-like gatecampers.

-The stat loss can be fully recovered - in the long run.

-Good risk/reward for being a murderer.

Then the system should avoid mindless gankfests.

The rules of Debate are really simple; once you have to stoop to insults instead of facts, logic, or reason to try and win your argument, you've lost.

• MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596

yes, there are a ton of carebear roleplayers on the MO forums pulling for lots of garbage to be added into a what seems to be awesome game

Even though this is a PvP focused game, it is also a seriously robust sandbox game, so if you are worried about "carebears", go play something else, kid.

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

Originally posted by MindTrigger

yes, there are a ton of carebear roleplayers on the MO forums pulling for lots of garbage to be added into a what seems to be awesome game

Even though this is a PvP focused game, it is also a seriously robust sandbox game, so if you are worried about "carebears", go play something else, kid.

Exactly!

Hey, this game isn't for everybody, as they say.  In this case, that might mean it's not for mindless griefers, so they should probably look elsewhere.

For griefing and shallow gameplay, DF is ===> way....

• xSh0xxSh0x Member Posts: 125

I never understood why killing someone"s virtual pixels in a virtual world with infinite lives deserved punishment in return.  But anyway, if you're into competitive PvP without consequences, like myself, there should be a staged tourny/arena location in MO.  I'm hoping its something like GW's Hall of Heroes.

Originally posted by xSh0x

I never understood why killing someone"s virtual pixels in a virtual world with infinite lives deserved punishment in return.  But anyway, if you're into competitive PvP without consequences, like myself, there should be a staged tourny/arena location in MO.  I'm hoping its something like GW's Hall of Heroes.

you can also war other guilds...that way you can fight with no consequences

• daarcodaarco Member UncommonPosts: 4,275

I think its a great solution in every way.

Noone will force you to PK anyway. So you wont loose any stats.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505
    Originally posted by Spoonpott

The magic forumula, finding the proper balance in a FFA PVP game.  Few have come even close, will be interesting to see if this system is better or not.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• mrw0lfmrw0lf Member Posts: 2,269
    Originally posted by Kyleran

Originally posted by Spoonpott

The magic forumula, finding the proper balance in a FFA PVP game.  Few have come even close, will be interesting to see if this system is better or not.

I'm not sure there is a magic formula. Like every other aspect of mmo's and games in general it will be a different balance for everyone.

-----
    “The person who is certain, and who claims divine warrant for his certainty, belongs now to the infancy of our species.”

• joshejoshe Member Posts: 379

Originally posted by mrw0lf
    I'm not sure there is a magic formula. Like every other aspect of mmo's and games in general it will be a different balance for everyone.

Testing, testing, and even more testing.
    If everything will be tested out during beta, most bugs fixed, all combat mechanics balanced, and most important: sensible player's voice will be taken into consideration, then launch may become 1 of the most spectacular. Not even mentioning gameplay ;)

--
    /thread

Remember, your advantage lies in your opponent's weakness (J)

You almost answered your own question - because they are indeed trying to create a "virtual world".  It's a sandbox MMO, in which multiple different playstyles and goals are supposed to be allowed.  In a virtual world of continuous, indiscriminate murder, not a lot else is going to be accomplished - it only satisfies the ganker/griefer.

There will be plenty of combat in this game I have no doubt.  Plenty of ganking too.  I'm just hoping for more of an actual "virtual world" sandbox MMO, and not just a meaningless FPS in a persistant world.

All in all, it's probably best to stick with FPS or fighting games for PvP without consequences.  I think PvP with consequences will be a lot more challenging, and therefore satisfying.

• xSh0xxSh0x Member Posts: 125
    Originally posted by Rohn

You almost answered your own question - because they are indeed trying to create a "virtual world".  It's a sandbox MMO, in which multiple different playstyles and goals are supposed to be allowed.  In a virtual world of continuous, indiscriminate murder, not a lot else is going to be accomplished - it only satisfies the ganker/griefer.

In a sandbox MMO, your own world should have no coded limitations, only limitations imposed by the will of other players.  That way, different playstyles will truely be dynamic and interesting.

There will be plenty of combat in this game I have no doubt.  Plenty of ganking too.  I'm just hoping for more of an actual "virtual world" sandbox MMO, and not just a meaningless FPS in a persistant world.

All in all, it's probably best to stick with FPS or fighting games for PvP without consequences.  I think PvP with consequences will be a lot more challenging, and therefore satisfying.

I would agree with this, if it wasn't for the fact that the gameplay of MO, supposedly, will be much better than that of other FPS games and therefore more fun.  I was a huge fan of  Dark Messiahs gameplay, and this sounds like the MMO version of its gameplay.

PvP without consequences is more challenging, because it requires players to learn and earn their survival, instead of it being given to them by the devs, effectively making the game more realistic and dynamic.  You have to fight and survive through real "evils" to be a real "hero."

Anyway, I realize statloss is here to stay for MO and that's acceptable at least.  I think it would be more fair for everyone to have statloss on death instead of just reds.  The rest of the game will make up for that single hitch I'm sure.  I just hope the arena is well thought out and competitive as I'll probably spend most of my time there.