Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Eve Fans What Do You Dislike About Eve ?

Comments

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Originally posted by tvalentine
    ..... Blobs are all about numbers ........  were not talking about tactics, were talking about fleets in low sec and how big they get. I've only seen 1 30-40 blob in low sec in the 3-4 months i've been down here. And surprisingly enough it was dropped on me (whie i was solo, just like the guy you quoted was explaining)

blob =/= large gang as I explained above

You just misuse the word.

Check some killboards and you will see what I talk about - large +100 men fleets with absolutely no other ships but sniping BS - that's blob.
    Of course it somewhat scales down but again, it is not about numbers and 40 man gang is way far from being a blob - pure DPS gang.

• tvalentinetvalentine Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,216
    Originally posted by Lordmonkus

So you got caught and hit by a roaming gang. It's not like there were looking for you specificially and if they were then you should feel flattered they brought 30-40 ships for 1. 

they were baiting a ship in a belt and jumped in all their ships .... its happened before, but this blob was ...... epic...... in a bad way

@Gdem: look at my earlier post, i said its a blob for low sec. Unless there are 100 man blobs running around that i never see.

Playing: EVE Online
    Favorite MMOs: WoW, SWG Pre-cu, Lineage 2, UO, EQ, EVE online
    Looking forward to: Archeage, Kingdom Under Fire 2
    KUF2's Official Website - http://www.kufii.com/ENG/ -

@Gdem: look at my earlier post, i said its a blob for low sec. Unless there are 100 man blobs running around that i never see.

Originally posted by Gdemami
    Blob is not about numbers particulary. Blob warfare comes in when you use sheer DPS over any other kind of warfare or tactic.
    Check some killboards and you will see what I talk about - large +100 men fleets with absolutely no other ships but sniping BS - that's blob.
    Of course it somewhat scales down but again, it is not about numbers and 40 man gang is way far from being a blob - pure DPS gang.

• tvalentinetvalentine Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,216

Blob is not about numbers particulary. Blob warfare comes in when you use sheer DPS over any other kind of warfare or tactic.

am i doing it right?

Playing: EVE Online
    Favorite MMOs: WoW, SWG Pre-cu, Lineage 2, UO, EQ, EVE online
    Looking forward to: Archeage, Kingdom Under Fire 2
    KUF2's Official Website - http://www.kufii.com/ENG/ -

am i doing it right?

No, you're not. I tried to explain to you that you are misusing the word but...meh...

• JGMIIIJGMIII Member Posts: 1,282

Oh god not the nerf whines.

Nope unlike the majority of the cross trainers and min maxers in Eve im not a pussy.

I play through Nerfs.

My Ewar ships are sitting collecting dust due to the Probing and scanning revamp and how much fun im having with the new system and my Cov ops ship/Wormholes.

Edit: When I say min maxers and cross trainers I speak of the players that retrain to the flavor of the month and dont have the balls to stick the nerfs out.

Playing: EvE, Ryzom

• Timberwolf0Timberwolf0 Member Posts: 424

I dislike the fact that you cannot get out in stations and walk around (I know they're working on that). I also dislike the fact you cannot land on planets and explore. There should also be ground based combat akin to Planetside and Mechwarrior.

• nickelpatnickelpat Member Posts: 661

I dislike the space, all of that empty boring space. And there's a lot of it, but I still play it, so it must not be too bad. Planet exploration would be nice.

More realistically, I hate a lot of the community, there's a lot of jerks in New Eden, sadly, you can't blow them all up. I would also prefer if there was a way you could really stick it to someone you dislike, instead of just podding them once and them making a new clone and getting a bigger ship and repeating, I would prefer a 24 hour waiting period between losing a clone and buying one. That way you either have gotten rid of them for a bit, or you can pod them again and take away all of their skill points. Otherwise it's just a costly game of cat and mouse with a "Who has more money" theme.

---
    Jordaniel Torey - Navy Megathron, Active Armor Tank - Tranquility - EVE Online
    ---
    Torey Scott - Rifleman - Fallen Earth

"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but I know World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones." - Albert Einstein

• McGamerMcGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,073

One of the things that bothered me most about EVE is that it has no immersion to it. Some fanboi's can whine all they want and say they don't want full body av's but the fact of the matter is if the game wants to be realistic it has to have full body av's. The laws of physics dictate that the human body cannot survive in zero-g for a prolonged amount of time. Some argue that since they are in a pod and hooked up to neural lines, etc. that it's possible. Well hate to burst your pod but you're wrong, the pod is only for the support of the pilot's vital needs and control of the ship, it had no artificial gravity field for one thing so the laws of physics still apply.

Not to mention the flight mechanics of the ships in EVE don't even use proper trajectory that would be needed to fly in space. You can't just strap a rocket to the back-end and aim the nose for wherever. If CCP doesn't eventually add the features needed then EVE just stays in the same category as WoW, a cartoonish unrealistic mmo.

• nickelpatnickelpat Member Posts: 661
    Originally posted by Czanrei

One of the things that bothered me most about EVE is that it has no immersion to it. Some fanboi's can whine all they want and say they don't want full body av's but the fact of the matter is if the game wants to be realistic it has to have full body av's. The laws of physics dictate that the human body cannot survive in zero-g for a prolonged amount of time. Some argue that since they are in a pod and hooked up to neural lines, etc. that it's possible. Well hate to burst your pod but you're wrong, the pod is only for the support of the pilot's vital needs and control of the ship, it had no artificial gravity field for one thing so the laws of physics still apply.
    Not to mention the flight mechanics of the ships in EVE don't even use proper trajectory that would be needed to fly in space. You can't just strap a rocket to the back-end and aim the nose for wherever. If CCP doesn't eventually add the features needed then EVE just stays in the same category as WoW, a cartoonish unrealistic mmo.

I do agree some fixes to the pod system could be done, but if the game was Science, and dropped the fiction, you would have a horribly boring game.

Ships would look like crap, they would have handling that is very difficult, the sounds should be offset a bit from the video due to the system, explosions would be a small poof of smoke lasting a very short time, missiles would lack any kind of a trail and the explosion effects would need to be severly reduced. Missiles would need to have many, many, many exhausts if they are to turn and track, or else they would just fly straight and if the target was moving you'd probably miss.

Not to mention that planets don't really spin or orbit, the stations don't orbit anything either. How are the secured containers anchored down?

It will never be anything like WoW, which is a cartoony game, aimed at a casual crowd. EVE does have Open PvP, many mature themes, and something far, far, from WoW.

Czanrei, it's Science FICTION for a reason.

---
    Jordaniel Torey - Navy Megathron, Active Armor Tank - Tranquility - EVE Online
    ---
    Torey Scott - Rifleman - Fallen Earth

"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but I know World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones." - Albert Einstein

• MahloMahlo Member UncommonPosts: 814

It's time based and you'll never catch up and it's too abstract supposedly in your spaceship, although you can even move around in that.

• LordmonkusLordmonkus Member Posts: 808
    Originally posted by JGMIII

Nope unlike the majority of the cross trainers and min maxers in Eve im not a pussy.

I play through Nerfs.

My Ewar ships are sitting collecting dust due to the Probing and scanning revamp and how much fun im having with the new system and my Cov ops ship/Wormholes.

Edit: When I say min maxers and cross trainers I speak of the players that retrain to the flavor of the month and dont have the balls to stick the nerfs out.

I just saw the string of this got nerfed and it sucks whines and it wasn't posted any any specific person. The people that whine about the nerfs don't realize why the nerfs are made. They simply see that they lose their easy mode ship / setup and cry.

The following is not a direct response to any specific person, it's just my ramblings so take it for whatever you want.

Try flying Minmatar since day one and then come cry when something gets nerfed. If anything other than lasers or hybrids gets nerfed it nerfs the Minnies as well. Hell even buffs are Minnie nerfs, remember the hitpoint buff ? Well that nerfed artillary into near uselessness. Oh well back to good old autocannons, missiles and drones.

I wont comment on the balance of everything in game since I do not engage in large scale pvp or alliance 0.0 pvp but as a beta vet I do feel I can say that from my perspective the game is probably the most balanced it has ever been. That is not to say it is absolutely balanced at all, it's just better than it has been  and is a work in progress which Eve always is anyways. Solo players are finally downsizing out of battleships into cruisers and battlecruisers which is where CCP wants most people anyways.

After reading over some of the later posts in this thread its getting away from what people who like the dislike about the game and now it's people just wanting silly and unreasonable things for the game. Seriously, complaining because Eve isn't realistic enough is just stupid. I would hate to see the boredom / frustration complaints if Eve were trying to be 100% physics accurate.

• LordmonkusLordmonkus Member Posts: 808
    Originally posted by Mahlo

It's time based and you'll never catch up and it's too abstract supposedly in your spaceship, although you can even move around in that.

/yawn

Catching up is irrelevant and has been proven time and time again. Why is a space ship so damn hard for people ? I never once saw anyone complain when playing old school top down shootemup arcade games about not being a person. Have been people been so conditioned by all the previous MMOs that people psychologically need to be a humanoid type avatar to enjoy a game ?

edit:

After a little more thought on the matter I guess it's the people who got into video games with Mario and Sonic. I got into games with Space Invaders and Asteroids so I am not so attached to that humanoid figure. But then I don't go play WoW and wish I was able to go fly out into space and pirate people either.

I just don't get and never will I guess.

• JGMIIIJGMIII Member Posts: 1,282

Originally posted by JGMIII

I play through Nerfs.

I just saw the string of this got nerfed and it sucks whines and it wasn't posted any any specific person. The people that whine about the nerfs don't realize why the nerfs are made. They simply see that they lose their easy mode ship / setup and cry.

The following is not a direct response to any specific person, it's just my ramblings so take it for whatever you want.

Try flying Minmatar since day one and then come cry when something gets nerfed. If anything other than lasers or hybrids gets nerfed it nerfs the Minnies as well. Hell even buffs are Minnie nerfs, remember the hitpoint buff ? Well that nerfed artillary into near uselessness. Oh well back to good old autocannons, missiles and drones.

Heh, I didn't even know about OP setups when I first started playing. I've been flying  Gallente most of the time since I like the idea of Drones and someone told me they had good guns for close combat.

I wont comment on the balance of everything in game since I do not engage in large scale pvp or alliance 0.0 pvp but as a beta vet I do feel I can say that from my perspective the game is probably the most balanced it has ever been. That is not to say it is absolutely balanced at all, it's just better than it has been  and is a work in progress which Eve always is anyways. Solo players are finally downsizing out of battleships into cruisers and battlecruisers which is where CCP wants most people anyways.

Oh yeah, I agree with solo combat being done in ships like Frigs and Cruiser hulls and Im just pissed that everything I seem to train gets tweaked in someway lol. Like my own personal curse in New Eden.

After reading over some of the later posts in this thread its getting away from what people who like the dislike about the game and now it's people just wanting silly and unreasonable things for the game. Seriously, complaining because Eve isn't realistic enough is just stupid. I would hate to see the boredom / frustration complaints if Eve were trying to be 100% physics accurate.

THe thread is being somewhat taken over by people that didn't play Eve passed a trial.  dont stress it.

Anyway, I know your comment wasn't directed at any one person, I only responded since this was like the first time I've ever even vented over being nerfed so Figured i'de give the thread the reason Why i did it. More like me venting due to my bad luck.

Playing: EvE, Ryzom

• elderotterelderotter Member Posts: 651

in reply to the question - nothing.  I like every aspect of EVE.  Note: I am not playing it at this time because I want to play LOTRO and cannot afford to play 2 MMO's at the same time.  I have enjoyed the EVE experience very much and probably will do so in the future.

Originally posted by nickelpat

I do agree some fixes to the pod system could be done, but if the game was Science, and dropped the fiction, you would have a horribly boring game.

Ships would look like crap, they would have handling that is very difficult, the sounds should be offset a bit from the video due to the system, explosions would be a small poof of smoke lasting a very short time, missiles would lack any kind of a trail and the explosion effects would need to be severly reduced. Missiles would need to have many, many, many exhausts if they are to turn and track, or else they would just fly straight and if the target was moving you'd probably miss.

Not to mention that planets don't really spin or orbit, the stations don't orbit anything either. How are the secured containers anchored down?

It will never be anything like WoW, which is a cartoony game, aimed at a casual crowd. EVE does have Open PvP, many mature themes, and something far, far, from WoW.

I never said that all features of the game should follow fact instead of fiction. You're blowing my statement out of proportion. I'm also well aware that a developer has to add some elements of fiction into the story to make it appealing. That fact hasn't changed in all of humankind's history when it comes to storytelling. I only stated a few feeatures I felt needed to be changed, not all of them. When it comes to proper flight mechanics, if it was implemented correctly it would actually introduce a level of skill into the pvp aspect that would level the playing field so that players who fly multi-billion isk ships with top of the line mods don't automaticly have the upper hand.

Planets don't spin or rotate, hm? wow...really...I'm not going to comment on your fuzzy math there, heh. As far as EVE not beinglike WoW? Both have no immersion and have no realism except the bakground environments the games are drawn upon. Meaning EVE has pretty stars that are obviously stars and WoW has trees, grass that are based off real grass, etc. Seems the same kind of cartoon. Both "Ghost in the shell" & "Spongebob Squarepants" are cartoons though drawn different just like EVE and WoW.

• elderotterelderotter Member Posts: 651

I never said that all features of the game should follow fact instead of fiction. You're blowing my statement out of proportion. I'm also well aware that a developer has to add some elements of fiction into the story to make it appealing. That fact hasn't changed in all of humankind's history when it comes to storytelling. I only stated a few feeatures I felt needed to be changed, not all of them. When it comes to proper flight mechanics, if it was implemented correctly it would actually introduce a level of skill into the pvp aspect that would level the playing field so that players who fly multi-billion isk ships with top of the line mods don't automaticly have the upper hand.

Planets don't spin or rotate, hm? wow...really...I'm not going to comment on your fuzzy math there, heh. As far as EVE not beinglike WoW? Both have no immersion and have no realism except the bakground environments the games are drawn upon. Meaning EVE has pretty stars that are obviously stars and WoW has trees, grass that are based off real grass, etc. Seems the same kind of cartoon. Both "Ghost in the shell" & "Spongebob Squarepants" are cartoons though drawn different just like EVE and WoW.

analyze any game and you will find faults. Games involve some suspension of reality, if you cannot accept that don't game.

• GarkanGarkan Member Posts: 552

Humans live long periods in zero G and the main risks are muscle atrophy and weakening of the skeleton and astronauts take measures to limit those effects not to mention the fact that the ships in EVE probably have artificial gravity.

Currently playing:

EVE online (Ruining low sec one hotdrop at a time)

Gravity Rush,
    Dishonoured: The Knife of Dunwall.

(Waiting for) Metro: Last Light,
    Company of Heroes II.

the fact of the matter is if the game wants to be realistic it has to have full body av's.

That's very simple, EVE does not want to be realistic in such minor aspect of the game and turned the focus to more important things like player interaction.

If CCP doesn't eventually add the features needed then EVE just stays in the same category as WoW, a cartoonish unrealistic mmo.

Troll or stupid, pick one...

• Brain-deadBrain-dead Member Posts: 256

It was mentioned in the Eve novel that larger ships and stations do have artificial gravity.

Originally posted by Brain-dead

It was mentioned in the Eve novel that larger ships and stations do have artificial gravity.

They obviously don't because in order to create artificial gravity the ship has to have a rotational spin.

Originally posted by elderotter

analyze any game and you will find faults. Games involve some suspension of reality, if you cannot accept that don't game.

Lol you only repeated the same thing I said in the second sentence of my reply to him, come on.

• TaramTaram Member CommonPosts: 1,700

Rather than join in the various debates about, imo, ridiculous nonsense.... I'll just answer the OP instead of continuing to derail it...

Things I dislike about EVE:

Patches that tend to go live with bugs despite the bugs being reported on Test.... this had gotten a lot better up until the most recent string of post apocrypha patches.  The cloak bugs were reported during testing on SISI.  The jump/session change bug was reported during testing on SISI... yet both patches went live despite knowing about the bugs in advance. 

Sov Mechanics are boring.  Anyone who is honest will admit that POS warfare is the single worst aspect of EVE Gameplay because it's so broken and mind numbingly boring.  It has been since the day it was put in and has only gotten worse over time.  

Jump Bridges & Cyno Jammers.  One or the other alone isn't necessarily a bad thing.... but combining the two is just a really really horrible mechanic and makes it FAR too easy for alliances to hold space.  With a jump bridge network in place it is ridiculously easy to move huge fleets across vast distances very quickly.  Couple that with the ability to make it impossible for attacking forces to bring caps in until they kill a 15 MILLION hp cyno jammer and you result in a situation where even ridiculously huge blobs have a very tough time making any headway in a sovereignty war against an established alliance.  Once Sov3 is reached you're basically smashing your head into a brick wall... especially if your opponent has multiple titans and can just titan blob any fleet that takes a stab at the cyno jammer.   Thus making the already HORRIBLE sov mechanics (see above) even worse.

Those are my big 3.... there are others... but if those 3 were fixed life in EVE would be noticeably better.  Lag used to rank up there but they kicked it in the teeth recently so I have no complaints about lag whatsoever any longer.

"A ship-of-war is the best ambassador." - Oliver Cromwell

Originally posted by Garkan

Humans live long periods in zero G and the main risks are muscle atrophy and weakening of the skeleton and astronauts take measures to limit those effects not to mention the fact that the ships in EVE probably have artificial gravity.

The fact is as I already stated humans CAN'T live long periods in zero G that is why astronauts are rotated every few months on the space station. And like I said to the other poster, ships in EVE don't have artificial gravity because they don't have a rotational spin to even create articficial gravity.

the fact of the matter is if the game wants to be realistic it has to have full body av's.

That's very simple, EVE does not want to be realistic in such minor aspect of the game and turned the focus to more important things like player interaction.

If CCP doesn't eventually add the features needed then EVE just stays in the same category as WoW, a cartoonish unrealistic mmo.

Troll or stupid, pick one...

I love how some posters just spout out rude comments because they can't think of anything intelligent to say.