Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MMORPG Contest are BS

skydragonrenskydragonren Member Posts: 667

Alright,

So I have been an MMORPG forum user for around 5 years now spanning 2 accounts, only due to the fact that I forgot a user name and login a while back and started new.

The reason I am upset is this.

Many of us use this site all the time, dailey for some of us like myself. From time to time MMORPG starts a contest... SWEET!

Some of MMORPG's contest are pretty damn good, like this last one with the G11 Keyboard and Mouse involving CoSB.

I enter every contest on this site and lose. Which is ok to lose, but I don't feel as though I should lose to people who aren't even interested in this site or the community, just the keyboard.

Take this guy.

xS0u1zx

Winner of the G11 Keyboard.

Does anyone know this guy? I don't, been coming here for years and never seen this guy post shit. Even tried to do a forum wide search, just to see if he is active.... notta.

So people like us who come here like a religion and raise the hit counter dailey for MMORPG get shafted so Mr. xS0u1zx can roll in here off the street and make a new account and get a keyboard.

Not so cool.

My suggestion is that MMORPG put a requirement restriction on who can enter the contest for physical prizes.

I'm not talking about 1 month free to random asian grinder #892378456873465786 but on contest where $100 dollar keyboards and $30 dollar mouses are involved.

I say make it so only members who have had an active account for at least 3 month/90 days, with a post count of at least 100 should be allowed to enter these contest.

I promise if they do that, we wouldn't have 8,000 contestants entered to win and maybe only around 2-3000. Making those loyal to the site much more likely to walk away with a prize.

5 years of entering on this site, and nothing!

You guys should give me a jar jar doll or something just for waiting this long to nerd rage about it.

Maybe one of the mods can help me out here.

Comments

• mrw0lfmrw0lf Member Posts: 2,269

I AGREE I NEVER WON EITHER!!! LOLZ

-----
    “The person who is certain, and who claims divine warrant for his certainty, belongs now to the infancy of our species.”

• darkasterdarkaster Member Posts: 187
    Originally posted by skydragonren

I say make it so only members who have had an active account for at least 3 month/90 days, with a post count of at least 100 should be allowed to enter these contest.

This is a bad idea.  There is enough spam on these forums as it is.

I do agree with maybe some requirements though, but that might be just because I've been here so long  :P

• RazephonRazephon Member UncommonPosts: 628

Lol, settle down.

I won a contest a few years back for 2 months of free access to some shitty azn MMO called Tantra. I didnt even bother using it lol.

I think I won (no not clicked the links on the main page and got in beta. There was an actual contest afaik) some entry to some beta a long time back too.

Lastly, I've seen some of the members who post here who have won some prizes. E.g. last year some guy won a graphics card and he was posting all over MMORPG.com about it, while people were sucking up to him.

Currently waiting for the MMO industry to put out something good.
  • Biohazard931Biohazard931 Member UncommonPosts: 196

Alright,
    So I have been an MMORPG forum user for around 5 years now spanning 2 accounts, only due to the fact that I forgot a user name and login a while back and started new.
    Many of us use this site all the time, dailey for some of us like myself. From time to time MMORPG starts a contest... SWEET!
    Some of MMORPG's contest are pretty damn good, like this last one with the G11 Keyboard and Mouse involving CoSB.
    I enter every contest on this site and lose. Which is ok to lose, but I don't feel as though I should lose to people who aren't even interested in this site or the community, just the keyboard.
    Take this guy.

xS0u1zx

Does anyone know this guy? I don't, been coming here for years and never seen this guy post shit. Even tried to do a forum wide search, just to see if he is active.... notta.
    So people like us who come here like a religion and raise the hit counter dailey for MMORPG get shafted so Mr. xS0u1zx can roll in here off the street and make a new account and get a keyboard.
    Not so cool.

My suggestion is that MMORPG put a requirement restriction on who can enter the contest for physical prizes.
    I'm not talking about 1 month free to random asian grinder #892378456873465786 but on contest where $100 dollar keyboards and $30 dollar mouses are involved.
    I promise if they do that, we wouldn't have 8,000 contestants entered to win and maybe only around 2-3000. Making those loyal to the site much more likely to walk away with a prize.
    You guys should give me a jar jar doll or something just for waiting this long to nerd rage about it.

Yeah, I agree that its not right to loose to a player that hardly spends any time on the site compared to you (An elite 500+) But the only logical thing I can think of is that he submitted whatever he needed to and it was better than your submission (I've not actually heared or taken part in this contest as I'm a new member really - could you explain what you had to do?) But other than that thats pretty unjustified. Maybe next time? : P Take care.

• bmdevinebmdevine Member Posts: 429

What do "loyal" users (aside from maybe bloggers) provide to MMORPG that they should be entitled to an advantage in a contest?  This may be shortsighted on my part, but it doesn't seem to me as though MMORPG really gets a substantial benefit just from someone having and maintaining a login account for extended periods of time.

• SwaneaSwanea Member UncommonPosts: 2,401

I wonder if it gets as bad as a person having many accounts and entering all of them to improve their chances.  I saw that happen at a few other websites.

But I really think there should be a post limit before you can win a contest.

• uohaloranuohaloran Member Posts: 811

OP has a case of self entitlement just because he posts on a forum.

• skydragonrenskydragonren Member Posts: 667
    Originally posted by Biohazard931

Alright,
    Take this guy.

xS0u1zx

Not so cool.

Yeah, I agree that its not right to loose to a player that hardly spends any time on the site compared to you (An elite 500+) But the only logical thing I can think of is that he submitted whatever he needed to and it was better than your submission (I've not actually heared or taken part in this contest as I'm a new member really - could you explain what you had to do?) But other than that thats pretty unjustified. Maybe next time? : P Take care.

You don't do anything, you just sign up and enter like a sweepstakes.

Which is why it bothers me, If it were some essay on why we think we should win it would be different.

The way the contest here are conducted is, make an account, or have an existing account, and press enter contest.

That's it.

So that being the case, the odds are very stacked against the regular community of MMORPG. We have to compete with members who more than likely heard from cousin jethro that MMORPG.com is giving away a keyboard, and came here to make an account for it.

It just isn't played right is all I am saying.

• ZeroThreatZeroThreat Member Posts: 5

Maybe they should make seperate contests for those of higher ranking on the forums? Say those who have posted maybe 3-4 times(like me) could win a silly mouse pad or something while those who have posted 200 times could actually win a mouse or keyboard. Just a thought. I mostly play first person shooters like Left4dead or Killing Floor so I must admit that I don't always pay attention here. Then again, I am waiting for either Champions or DC universe...

• Biohazard931Biohazard931 Member UncommonPosts: 196

Alright,
    Take this guy.

xS0u1zx

Not so cool.

Which is why it bothers me, If it were some essay on why we think we should win it would be different.

The way the contest here are conducted is, make an account, or have an existing account, and press enter contest.

That's it.

So that being the case, the odds are very stacked against the regular community of MMORPG. We have to compete with members who more than likely heard from cousin jethro that MMORPG.com is giving away a keyboard, and came here to make an account for it.

Mate... I completley agree with you. I'm not trying to bash the MMORPG.COM admins or anything like that. I would like to swear right now but I'm not going to : P  That makes no sense at all... you dont have to do anything to enter the comp? Its just a random roll to see who wins? Any  Newbie could join and then win without contributing.....I'm frustrated as hell at this xD

• kalarenkalaren Member Posts: 83
    Originally posted by uohaloran

Bingo. He basically wants a better chance at winning.

• TheHavokTheHavok Member UncommonPosts: 2,423

OP is just bitter because he really wanted the keyboard.  Its a contest!  Would you rather this site not have contest at all?  I won a contest here before and was glad about it but wouldn't care much if I had lost.

And besides, the contest says that you can improve your chances to win if you log on more (unless they changed it). 

OP is just a big QQ bear.

• pingworriorpingworrior Member Posts: 12

Time to raise my amount of posts then...

However for your own sake I would strongly urge upon MMORPG.com, Not to implement such drastic measures. They already increase your chance of winning if your an active member and forcing people to make posts is not cewl mkay?

It will only increase the amount of crap you core people have to peddle trough.

Damn, I thought you were joking (wtf where are the smileys? anyhow stick a big fat googley eyed one here, thx)

-----
    “The person who is certain, and who claims divine warrant for his certainty, belongs now to the infancy of our species.”

Originally posted by Swanea

I wonder if it gets as bad as a person having many accounts and entering all of them to improve their chances.  I saw that happen at a few other websites.

But I really think there should be a post limit before you can win a contest.

So if I post "I have just found a new similar game like Diablo" 500+ times, I should be eligible to win a contest and someone who posted the same thing 499 times should not?

Lines have to be drawn all the time.  Some people are going to like the lines, and others don't, but the fact that someone failed to win is not a reason to change the rules to make it likelier for him to win.  Usually, thoughtful people/organizations will attempt to draw lines in the most meaningful way possible.  For MMORPG, the most meaningful way is to just have it limited to people who have an account on the site.  There's no reasonable way to distinguish between good & bad posts for purposes of contest eligibility, and having a post count limit would just encourage spamming, which is a violation of the code of conduct, and that's something MMORPG doesn't want.

Sorry, but higher quantity of posts do not per se mean that one is providing value to the site, and because of what it would encourage, would not be a meaningful way of drawing an eligibility line.

Alright,
    Take this guy.

xS0u1zx

Not so cool.

That's it.

Mate... I completley agree with you. I'm not trying to bash the MMORPG.COM admins or anything like that. I would like to swear right now but I'm not going to : P  That makes no sense at all... you dont have to do anything to enter the comp? Its just a random roll to see who wins? Any  Newbie could join and then win without contributing.....I'm frustrated as hell at this xD

Fucking right! else you go on the black list and wont ever win shit!

-----

Originally posted by uohaloran

Nah, I don't REALLY care if I win or lose, just do not like the fact that we have to compete against people who really have no business entering and winning such a contest.

On sites such as MMORPG, the traffic is everything.

Who provides the traffic, the regular users. We maintain the constant levels of hits they need to stay on top, with new users coming in and old users going out.

Self entitlement isn't what I am asking for, what I want to see is some type of level playing field for GOOD contest.

Let's see if I can make an analogy.

Ok you and 100 other people eat at this same place every day for 5 years called "DocRonalds" and help keep DocRonalds on competeing with other establishments around the area.

One day DocRonalds decides to hold a contest for 10,000 dollars and free food for a year. They set up a barrel and say everyone drop your name in the barrel, and every 5 days you can drop your name in again for 30 days. At the end of the 30 days if you ate there everyday you could have 6 chances to win. Not bad that improves your chances.

The next day word gets out that DocRonalds is giving away money and food, and 30,000 people run in to drop names in the barrels.

These people do not support DocRonalds, they just want something handed out to them in the form of money and food.

Your 6 chances to win just got buried under 30,000 names, chances to win just went from not to bad, to yeah right.

That is all I am saying.

• PsymenPsymen Member Posts: 13

Ok, I've just registered here at Mmorpg dot com, but been a guest for a long time, checking out new games, reading forums etc. I'm usually not a person to get too much involved in forums, but I like to read comments, criticism and so on (hence the reason I couldn't be arsed to register). Anyway, I can understand that you feel unfairly treated and that you, as a long time registered user should get the upper hand instead of some young sharlatan who's just recently joined, but is that really fair? I mean, contests usually are skill-based, make a wallpaper fitted for this game, make a drawing etc. Unless the contest is about "enter your e-mail here and you'll be able to win this prize" I don't see why everybody shouldn't be able to join.

However, if it is a random pick contest, I understand your frustration and you can just ignore this comment, but if it's about skill it's abit bitchy to wine about it ;-)

Regards,

Psymen

• AdminAdmin Administrator RarePosts: 5,623

I am sorry, but the contests are open to all they always have been (for 6+ years) and always will be.  One of the purposes for these contests is to encourage new people to create accounts at MMORPG.com - which is good for the community.  In addition to this the sponsors want to see a high number of entries or they won't give good prizes - remember they are paying for all the goodies and want to justify a return.

We have the bonus tickets per login to help with your odds for loyal members, but with 10,000+ entries in most contests and usually a small pool of prizes, it is still very likely that a single person will not win even after entering 100 contests.

We don't want forum post requirements because as stated before it encourages spam on the forums and a waste of time for our mods.

- MMORPG.COM Staff -

The dead know only one thing: it is better to be alive.

• krisoooookrisooooo Member Posts: 124

The thing is, MMORPG owes us absolutely nothing. We enter the site because we choose to, not because we are made to. Bigger post count doesn't mean a bigger chance of winning, that's just stupid. 

I won an account for TCoS and i don't even know where do i find information on how to use it lol.

I say chill out, keep entering these contests and someday you will win something too.

• pingworriorpingworrior Member Posts: 12
    Originally posted by Admin

I am sorry, but .....Snip/Snap

Did you just say you were sorry, to some selfish dick who wants all the prices for himself...Don't be.

Sorry for the offence OP but it's a fact, so waddeva

I know I know, you don't actually want all the prices for yourself, like you said yourself, you don't care wether you win or lose. You just want to improve your odds of wining slightly so that winning becomes more of a likely probablility, and as a result you  will ninja loot all the prices, but you don't really care either way, in fact maybe you'll not even accept the damn prizes, too much of a bother dont you think? As long as it all happened fair you don't care

• MundusMundus Member UncommonPosts: 237

Well, there are people like myself who also come here every day, but simpy are not that talkative or in general quite calm.

I guess I "use the site" itself like everyone else. When it comes to the forum, though, I only read it most of the time and barely bother to write something myself. Probably because I don't think that my opinion is all that important and maybe also because of my limited ability to express my thoughts (or English for that matter). :D

Anyway, my point is that I don't think that because of this I do not deserve to win a contest here more or less than anyone else.

I'm quite happy that I already had the luck to win something here.

I can also understand that it is frustrating not to win anything.

When I won something here it was actually the first time in my life that I won anything at all.

Now with more than 1 mio members it is of course getting even harder to win something.

Maybe demanding a little more action on the users' side would do the trick.

That is not only clicking "I WANT IN!!!", but rather having to do something which takes a little more effort / creativity / whatever.

Originally posted by pingworrior

I am sorry, but .....Snip/Snap

Did you just say you were sorry, to some selfish dick who wants all the prices for himself...Don't be.

Sorry for the offence OP but it's a fact, so waddeva

Thanks Admin, I knew it wasn't going to change, was just voicing an opinion.

To everyone else minus 1 or 2, that is why I love MMORPG so much, where else on earth can you come dailey, to find a large number of people, so very poor in reading comprehension.

I feel bad for the school systems of the world.

We don't want forum post requirements because as stated before it encourages spam on the forums ....

More than now?!?! Is that even possible? Oh and where are the smileys?

-----

Originally posted by mrw0lf

We don't want forum post requirements because as stated before it encourages spam on the forums ....

More than now?!?! Is that even possible? Oh and where are the smileys?

Some people don't need encouragement.