Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A New Player's Trial Review

Well, I had played the beta, and thought it had great potential... Graphics are awesome (if you have the hardware to run it.. I do :P) and the immersiveness is there.. excellent starting storyline.

At least untill you hit tortage... Let me explain myself a little.

I'm used to danger and ganks.. I have played Eve Online since Aug 03', and if you've experienced that game, you know it's generally for keeps.  I've allways been on the lookout for a secondary MMO (something I can walk around in and immerse myself) and found one...  SWG.. At least untill the CU hit (came back abit untill the NGE then swore of sony for eternity lol)... played a few beta's, got into WOW, and loved it... up untill the need to raid killed my love for that game (lvl 60 max at the time), Beta'd lotro (not impressed) beta'd POTBS (waaay watered down from original intent) and Beta'd AOC. 

On one of my breaks from EVE, I chose to try out AOC again and see if it's matured.  To it's credit, it has, and though I couldn't play it in DX10 (windows 7 RC issues and don't feel like switching drivers whenever I switch games) I enjoyed the first few levels immensely. 

However, I feel a game like this really needs factions of a sort.  I chose a rp/pvp server.. too bad RP isn't a part of it.  I couldn't complete my quests or find enough other ppl interested in AOC to get a group together to enter the noob areas.. which are infested with lvl 22-25 characters who take immense pleasure in keeping me from spawning into /or escaping either white sands or the undercity noob trial areas. (undercity moreso).  Aside from the immersion breaking "LOL PWNED" Leetspeak  there is no sense of community.. more of a random solo game with no real goals... which wouldn't be bad, had it been designed abit more of a sandbox. During the Beta these areas were pvp only, and the ganking came later, when you weren't completely defenseless and crammed into the noob areas.

After a week of my trial, I'm now lvl 19, and still alone, except for the gankers.  This isn't a /ragequit... I've played eve for years.  But I have a need for a fantasy MMO with the right mix of reward vs time invested... the right mix of community vs solo.  and for me, it seems to be WOW once again.

Sorry AOC, You didn't impress me.  

*EDIT:  Perhaps had I rolled on a non-pvp server, I might have stuck it out.. but I don't have the time or inclination to go through the entire trial again.  If the noob isle had been gank-free I might have stuck it out, then been released into the real world knowing where my hotkeys were lol.

Comments

• Preacher26Preacher26 Member UncommonPosts: 373
    Originally posted by lordstarwolf

Well, I had played the beta, and thought it had great potential... Graphics are awesome (if you have the hardware to run it.. I do :P) and the immersiveness is there.. excellent starting storyline.
         At least untill you hit tortage... Let me explain myself a little.
         I'm used to danger and ganks.. I have played Eve Online since Aug 03', and if you've experienced that game, you know it's generally for keeps.  I've allways been on the lookout for a secondary MMO (something I can walk around in and immerse myself) and found one...  SWG.. At least untill the CU hit (came back abit untill the NGE then swore of sony for eternity lol)... played a few beta's, got into WOW, and loved it... up untill the need to raid killed my love for that game (lvl 60 max at the time), Beta'd lotro (not impressed) beta'd POTBS (waaay watered down from original intent) and Beta'd AOC. 
         On one of my breaks from EVE, I chose to try out AOC again and see if it's matured.  To it's credit, it has, and though I couldn't play it in DX10 (windows 7 RC issues and don't feel like switching drivers whenever I switch games) I enjoyed the first few levels immensely. 
         However, I feel a game like this really needs factions of a sort.  I chose a rp/pvp server.. too bad RP isn't a part of it.  I couldn't complete my quests or find enough other ppl interested in AOC to get a group together to enter the noob areas.. which are infested with lvl 22-25 characters who take immense pleasure in keeping me from spawning into /or escaping either white sands or the undercity noob trial areas. (undercity moreso).  Aside from the immersion breaking "LOL PWNED" Leetspeak  there is no sense of community.. more of a random solo game with no real goals... which wouldn't be bad, had it been designed abit more of a sandbox. During the Beta these areas were pvp only, and the ganking came later, when you weren't completely defenseless and crammed into the noob areas.
         After a week of my trial, I'm now lvl 19, and still alone, except for the gankers.  This isn't a /ragequit... I've played eve for years.  But I have a need for a fantasy MMO with the right mix of reward vs time invested... the right mix of community vs solo.  and for me, it seems to be WOW once again.
      Sorry AOC, You didn't impress me.  

*EDIT:  Perhaps had I rolled on a non-pvp server, I might have stuck it out.. but I don't have the time or inclination to go through the entire trial again.  If the noob isle had been gank-free I might have stuck it out, then been released into the real world knowing where my hotkeys were lol.

Its understandable that the pvp servers can be a bit frustrating and in some cases actually ruin a new players experience. As far as the rp-pvp servers it actually gets much better after leaving tortage. There are alot of people that have level 25 alts that simply camp White Sands and Underhalls, you don't see much ganking in the following zones.

You can level through Tortage without entering those FFA areas, but to each their own.

• AxlesAxles Member Posts: 123

lol, wut. it takes less then a half of a day to get off tortage. Even W/O going to the pvp areas to get ganked........

If you are going to review you need to add that you CAN choose to do other quests or zones that don't have pvp in them.

But yes, the gankers in the low areas are childish and just suck at pvp.

• PapadamPapadam Member Posts: 2,102

My expereince with the Trial is almost identical with OPs (played on RP-PvP server) but I dint mind the ganking that much. Got to lvl 22 in the trial and things didnt seem to change much when getting out of Tortage and into Wild lands.Pretty fun game at first but not enough to subsribe.

If WoW = The Beatles
    and WAR = Led Zeppelin
    Then LotrO = Pink Floyd

• JackdogJackdog Member UncommonPosts: 6,321

Chalk me up for anotehr one who wants to like the game but just as a hard time finding the fun factor also. It's not that I think there is anything terribly wrong, well  the community leaves something to be desired but still the game just never hooks me once I leave Tortage. The graphics and music are great, last time i tried it I did not run across any horrible bugs or anything , but the fun factor is just missing for me.

I miss DAoC

• MaggotscreamMaggotscream Member Posts: 284

I thought there was a level cap at 20 for White Sands? don't blame the game if you can't win a fight against other players.

And as someone has already mentioned you're not forced to level there, and if you're worried about being ganked play singleplayer (night time).

• BuccaneerBuccaneer Member UncommonPosts: 654

I've returned, been playing for around a month after cancelling shortly after the game launched.  On Fury (EU pvp) server the ganking and griefing gets worse (IMO) once you leave Tortage. Loads of the sneaky bugger's camping the rez pads, hiding in rooms with quest giver's waiting for you to engage the NPC's to turn in quests. Loads of gankers hiding in quest areas waiting for you to engage mobs before striking. 

PvP in AoC is a frustrating business all due to the stupid PvP system which makes everyone cattle for the slaughter due to being walking pvp exp which is needed for the long grind for the pvp gear. Due to the pvp exp you are getting alot of players grinding the exp on Tortage because pvp levels are independent to your character's normal level.  You can max your pvp levels in Tortage if you have the desire to do so. 

The level cap for Tortage is level 25.  Whitesands is not to bad once you past the first rez pad on the beach and  past the first main pict camp. Most players are to busy fighting each other around the rez pad to be bothered to venture further in the zone.  I have to admit Whitesands is great fun, most players are around the same level grinding on each other to gather the pvp exp, it's just unfortunate that it's right next to the zone entrance which causes players questing to get caught up in the cross fire.

Underhalls is a nightmare during the peak hours, it's gankers heaven due to areas being serperated by doors and loading screens.  I don't know why FC serperated Underhalls, it was one large zone during beta.  I've lost count how many times I've loaded different areas to find myself dead. Questing is impossible unless you are lucky to jump into a instance without many people.  Basically Underhalls is a tamer version of the game once you leave Tortage.

Another problem is the murder system, IMO this stops the players from being able to police the servers themselves.  The respectable players do not want the murder points and to be listed a criminal.  Unfortunately the gank squads don't care about the murder system, it doesn't stop them from gaining pvp exp.

My advice for anyone joining AoC is to role on a pve server until FC can pull there fingers out of their arse and sort the pvp system out.  You still will have the pvp mini games, Borderlands and sieges to get your pvp fix.  AoC is a good game, it would be a shame to give it a miss. Here is the links to the pvp section on the offical forums, which will tell you what I have mentioned, plus much worse stuff.

http://forums.ageofconan.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10

http://forums-eu.ageofconan.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10