Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Copernicus - 38 Studios

kazmokazmo Member Posts: 715

I'm surprised I haven't seen any coverage on this from mmorpg.com. R.A. Salvatore is the leading writer for history/lore for it and there are lots of people from various companies that jumped ship from SOE and some from Blizzard. Even the baseball player Curt Schilling is part of it, you may have heard about him with MMOs a while back.

This looks like it might turn into something special, who else has just recently found out about it?

Edit:

I accidentally posted too soon, left out a couple options to the poll and what not.

Comments

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657

Most of the people here know about it. Curt Schilling owns it. He's not just a part of it. That's where the number 38 comes from.  Until they have a product that they want to talk about there isn't a whole lot to talk about.

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • LiljnaLiljna Member UncommonPosts: 274

I need an option called 'Known about it for years' :P

I used to play EQ2 and several good guys from the EQ2 team left to join Schilling. So we were aware of his company early, back when it was called 'Green Monster Games'.

I honestly have no idea if they can pull off a good game, but I am going to check it out, that's for sure.

• kazmokazmo Member Posts: 715

www.tentonhammer.com/node/67967

You should read this interview with R.A. Salvatore. It's a nice read, he talks about his early EverQuest days and everything, he seems to have some passion for this project they're working on.

Good insight, for now.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

There are other MMO's that have tried to bring in well known author to help.  It did not seem to help them much.  Personally I would be far more concerned who was on the team and their view points on MMO's. 

Personally I am not impressed by Salvatore, he is pretty much a volume book writter in his field, just writes a lot and while some have been good, others have been bad. 

• monarc333monarc333 Member UncommonPosts: 622

38 Studios also has Todd McFarlane AKA Spawns creator. Hes the lead designer on Copernicus. As to the poster above me, theres a place for RA's books imho. There easy to read, you could prob kill it in a night, they flow well and are entertaining. The opposite of RA I would say is Gene Wolfe. Super dense text, very character drivin writing and complicated story telling.

Personally I can't wait for them to release some trailers or ingame vids. The fact that not alot of people have heard of what their doing is a compliment to them. They must see the disaster of hyping a game and its effects such as the failure of AoC, and to a lesser degree WAR. Cautious Optimisim is a good way to view 38 studios.

• SigneSigne Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,524

I've been hearing about it, off and on, since 2006 when Schilling started talking about it publically.  I think Blackguard said something about it at about that same time.  He has a blog, too, although I seem to have forgot the address.  Schilling just posted somewhere else looking for a brilliant crafting person to hire, too.  Drag out those CVs!

• LiljnaLiljna Member UncommonPosts: 274
    Originally posted by Signe

I've been hearing about it, off and on, since 2006 when Schilling started talking about it publically.  I think Blackguard said something about it at about that same time.  He has a blog, too, although I seem to have forgot the address.  Schilling just posted somewhere else looking for a brilliant crafting person to hire, too.  Drag out those CVs!

Aye, both Blackguard and Moorgard still have blogs, links below for those interested :)

http://www.moorgard.com/

http://www.nerfbat.com/

• Cyber-DemonCyber-Demon Member UncommonPosts: 18

R.A. Salvatores story telling skills can of course be debated but I think many people did enjoy the Dark Elf society that he created in the Dark Elf trilogy books. Considering there was close to none Dark Elf lore in the Forgotten Realms world (prior to the Dark Elf trilogy books) I at least think Salvatores “world-creating-skills” surpass the skills of the lore writers in all modern MMOs I have played to this date.

• clwoodsclwoods Member Posts: 625

http://g4tv.com/xplay/videos/37391/Adam-Sesslers-Exclusive-Interview-With-Curt-Schilling.html

There's an interview with Curt, if you hadn't seen it.  Not a ton of info, but he talks about his gaming history a lot. 

Nothing else to add except: Go BoSox.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
  • pencilrickpencilrick Member Posts: 1,550

I just hope the designers of this new game use their writers properly:  for creating history, lore, setting, and a reason for the game world as it stands in the present (whatever the present day and age is).  I dislike it when writers are used to created some artifcial story arc that players are obviously herded down (such as WOW, AOC, and LOTRO do).

They should give us a world and turn us loose inside that world.  Leave use to poke our noses into this zone or that one and leave us to whatever fates we engineer for ourselves if we insist on walking our level 1 into a high level area. 

Freedom in gaming.