Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Vista 64bit or XP Pro?

FaliceFalice Member Posts: 329

Which is best, my new comp will have Vista, but imho it's just a pain in the arse, I have XP, should I just install that instead? Is there any real bennifit to using Vista, I plan on picking up Win 7 after a few years (if it's stable and decent)...

Comments

• AbrahmmAbrahmm Member Posts: 2,448
    Originally posted by Falice

Which is best, my new comp will have Vista, but imho it's just a pain in the arse, I have XP, should I just install that instead? Is there any real bennifit to using Vista, I plan on picking up Win 7 after a few years (if it's stable and decent)...

Well if you have more than 3.5ish gb of ram, then Vista 64bit will have benefits. I don't know why you would waste an XP key if you already have Vista pre-installed on the machine though. Vista is fine now. Windows 7 is already nice and stable, and it hasn't even released yet.

Tried: LotR, CoH, AoC, WAR, Jumpgate Classic
    Played: SWG, Guild Wars, WoW
    Playing: Eve Online, Counter-strike
    Loved: Star Wars Galaxies
    Waiting for: Earthrise, Guild Wars 2, anything sandbox.

• KrayzjoelKrayzjoel Member Posts: 906

Personally for me i have few issues when using Vista 64 for playing Eve and AOC. I have a super game rig and Vista utilizes my machine pretty well.

I'd stick with Vista if you still have it. Especially if you decide to upgrade  your machine somewhere down the road.

Played : WOW, LOTRO, COH/COV, EQ2, SWG, and WAR.
    Playing EVE Online and AOC.
    Wtg for SW:TOR and WOD

• HaoleBoy31HaoleBoy31 Member Posts: 7

I would rather be shot then use Vista so I would say Windows XP Pro is the best, otherwise I would go with Linux because to this day its the most safe, reliable, stable, and easy to use OS out there & my personal preference is Ubuntu Linux. The only set back with Linux is its a real pain in the butt to get some games to run & play on it, but otherwise its awesome with 1,000's of free open source software.

• uohaloranuohaloran Member Posts: 811

Originally posted by HaoleBoy31
    I would rather be shot then use Vista so I would say Windows XP Pro is the best, otherwise I would go with Linux because to this day its the most safe, reliable, stable, and easy to use OS out there & my personal preference is Ubuntu Linux. The only set back with Linux is its a real pain in the butt to get some games to run & play on it, but otherwise its awesome with 1,000's of free open source software.

Any reason why you wouldn't use Vista other than what you read on the internet?

Vista 64 is vastly superior to XP 64. It's not even up for debate.

• AntariousAntarious Member UncommonPosts: 2,834

I personally would take Vista 64 bit... but I think if you PERSONALLY lean one way or the other you have to go with your own thoughts.

I had vista 32 bit and was totally unimpressed.  When I built the last system we were going beyond the memory threshold of where a 32 bit OS would work for us.  I found out I could go to Microsofts website and for the cost of shipping get a 64 bit version of Vista (when you buy the 32 bit key you have the right to any version of that paticular Vista package you bought.  ie:  32bit home or 64bit home).

I'm not sure why there would be a difference but I have had no issues with the 64 bit version of Vista at all.  You couldn't pay me to go back to XP on my personal machine.

My biggest gripe with Vista regardless of 32/64 is .... why did they change the GUI so much.  I liked the XP version better than the Vista version.  While you can change some of it back so its more like XP...  there are things that were changed that didn't need to be.

Short version:  My choice would be Vista 64....  however, if you personally feel you think XP (of any flavor) is better for you.. that is what you should go with.  My past experience as a salesman always has been to give my recommendation but tell the person to go with their own thoughts.  Tho this has more to do with plausible deniability than anything ;p

If you were actually talking about "buying" Vista 64.. instead of having it on a computer you bought... I'd say to wait since Win7 is coming so soon... but I wouldn't wipe a drive to put XP pro on it instead of 64 bit Vista...

• IronZIronZ Member Posts: 107

I run Vista 64 and really don't have any issues with it.  Vista had it's issues when it first came out but runs pretty well now.  Another thing to consider is that if your computer has Vista installed, it could be a pain to find XP drivers....if anything is proprietary I mean.  As far as Win 7 goes, it runs great too.  You can only use it realistically until 3/2010 because it starts shutting itself down every 2 hours at that time.

Z

• jawapetjawapet Member Posts: 79

Windows 7 is coming out in a few months and beta is running right now and you can get in on beta until the final release... but if you don't want to do this, then run XP.

• wizitdrywizitdry Member Posts: 24

I would base my descision on what sort of set-up you have, if you have low amounts of ram & cpu I would steer clear of Vista. As an example I have a test system set-up at work with Vista installed, since the computers we have are primarily for office style apps i.e they have lower resources, this set up performs very poorly with Vista and is very painful to use.

Really consider the rc1 option of Windows 7 though, I have 2 test set-ups which are running very stable and use a fair bit less resources than Vista does.

Things to remember when running either Vista or Windows 7:

1. Make sure you turn desktop composition off when playing games (this eats alot of resources graphically).
    2. Run your games in administrator mode.

Finally while XP is a great OS it is no longer available, which means allocated support resources are likely to become less and less as time progresses, generally this means that potential security holes and other problems are slower to be fixed.

• docminusdocminus Member Posts: 717

I used to play on XP only, then switched to Vista 64 bit after upgrading RAM to 4Gig. Ever since SP1 I don't have any problems. Drivers aren't any problem anymore, which was one of the main reasons (and the pre-SP1 days) not to use Vista 64 bit. then again, the same was true for XP 64bit drivers.

The only time I miss XP is for networking - in mixed systems or older hardware (say network printer from preVista days) it is a pain in the a** to get it to work smoothly without pumping in unnecessary time to get it to work.

For gaming - the only problem is when I exit some applications, e.g. City of Heroes, or SWG had a bug as well, which might have been fixed, dunno.

imageimage

• KhrymsonKhrymson Member UncommonPosts: 3,090

Get and use the Windows 7 beta right now...its very stable and is running worlds faster and more reliable than Vista ever has.  Its free to use until May 2010, then it starts shutting down every few hours until you buy it...hehe

Anyway, just get it...its good and free for now, and its coming out later this year...yeah!

• docminusdocminus Member Posts: 717
    Originally posted by Khrymson

Get and use the Windows 7 beta right now...its very stable and is running worlds faster and more reliable than Vista ever has.  Its free to use until May 2010, then it starts shutting down every few hours until you buy it...hehe
    Anyway, just get it...its good and free for now, and its coming out later this year...yeah!

it is free until May 2010? really? *fires up downloader*

imageimage

• Death1942Death1942 Member UncommonPosts: 2,587

Vista 64 bit works fine.  The only problems i had was with super old games (which dont run on 64 bit XP either).  I'm loving the way it gets so much power out of my set up and the 64 bit comes in handy when its supported (not very often...but it is nice).

MMO wish list:

-Changeable worlds
    -Solid non level based game
    -Sharks with lasers attached to their heads

• KhrymsonKhrymson Member UncommonPosts: 3,090
    Originally posted by docminus

Originally posted by Khrymson

it is free until May 2010? really? *fires up downloader*

Oops, I was off a few months, but here's what a the press release says about its use!

The release candidate is available in five languages and will expire on June 1, 2010, with bihourly shutdowns starting March 1, 2010.  According to Microsoft, the final release is planned for release in time for the 2009 holiday shopping season.

Windows 7 RC Beta

• peteski123peteski123 Member UncommonPosts: 447
    Originally posted by HaoleBoy31

I would ignore this post

Vista seems to be pretty good now and as others have said if you have more than 3 odd gig of ram then 64 Vsiat/xp is the way. Linux is Not a gamming os nor does it run a multitude or programs. yea its free and has some nice features but to sugest it as an alt for Vista/xp is just silly