Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Giving the Trial a chance

meltrikmeltrik Member Posts: 7

Just a couple questions:

I have downloaded the trial and I was thinking of trying out a Fury, how do they stack up on the usefulness charts for grouping?  Can you solo with them?  (I am not looking necessarily for the best soloer)

Appreciate your help!

Comments

• CasualMakerCasualMaker Member UncommonPosts: 862

I only ever grouped once with a Fury. It isn't a terribly strong healer, but the group HoT's are handy. On the damage side, a Fury is sort of a junior-grade wizzy (similar damage types), plus a decent melee ability.

• forinboyforinboy Member UncommonPosts: 89

Furies are one of the better solo classes in the game.  And as a healer, they should be able to find groups fairly well.

However, despite what a previous post said, they are not strong melee characters.  Wardens are the druids that melee well, while furies are the caster DPSers.

Enjoy the game, it is a good one but I quit because they ninja'd SC on us.

• edmonaledmonal Member Posts: 188
    Originally posted by meltrik

Just a couple questions:

I have downloaded the trial and I was thinking of trying out a Fury, how do they stack up on the usefulness charts for grouping?  Can you solo with them?  (I am not looking necessarily for the best soloer)
    Appreciate your help!

Fury are fun, they can dps well enough to get through the quests at a decent rate. For pickup groups, they'll usually take one leather(Fury/Warden) and one chain/plate healer. As a Fury you're one of the best clutch healers around, with the quickest heals, excellent for keeping entire groups up. There is a perceived problem with them, because there's been too many Furys who forget to heal and concentrate on dps. Some higher level Furys complain that healing end game instances can be taxing, but I hear the same from some Mystics. When grouping with my Fury I would do dps while healing if there was a second healer around, otherwise keep your focus on keeping people alive.  Wardens heal a bit better, Furys do a bit more damage, both are underrated healers.

• drag9999drag9999 Member Posts: 252

As a Fury the main thing you have to remember is to heal. I know, that sounds stupid; "I'm a healer, I'm obviously going to heal". That's not the way things go. As a Fury you can easily get carried away doing DPS and you end up forgetting the tank. It'll take lots of practice to be able to solo-heal instances while doing decent DPS. I've never had problems finding groups, but Fury's are notorious for forgetting to heal, so some people might want to use a second healer. If you do find yourself in a group with another healer, just keep casting a HoT on the tank and you can DPS. In case the tank starts dropping, then you heal.

If you're looking for a healer more than DPS, go for the Warden. Both Druids can solo well, just the Warden can heal better while the Fury has more DPS. In the later levels, remember you can always kite mobs (snare, run, cast, repeat) if they're beating you up too much.

• AntariousAntarious Member UncommonPosts: 2,834

I've always wondered about seeing "wardens heal better" so many places.

When EQ2 went live in Nov 2004... I was a Warden.

Just before RoK went live (not that long ago relatively) the zerker MT for the guild wanted me to go Fury... I prefer Wardens for other reasons.

A fury with heals like "return to pack" and "hibernate" especially after you put the point into "forced hibernate" can heal a group as well as anyone.  Which is why I don't think any healer in the game actually heals better.  I stopped full time raiding in the end of January because I needed a break.  4 days a week for 3 years just gets old...  During that time I leveled a new Warden as I always missed being one.

I think the advantage a Warden has (as healers have advantages compared to each other.. I just don't hink it makes them "better") is that they do the current "whack a cure" better than a Fury.. at least imo.. simply due to AA setup.  Where the right side of the Fury tree is about DPS... the right side of the Warden tree is about Cures.

The advice about "don't forget to heal if you play a Fury" is 100% dead on.  It was a never a problem for me because I don't honestly fit the dps caster playstyle and when you spec DPS as a fury that's really what you are.  I do like healing and Druids are just fun.

In the end I think it just comes down to what fits your personality and play style... if you want to heal you just have to find the "fit" for you.

• drag9999drag9999 Member Posts: 252
    Originally posted by Antarious

I've always wondered about seeing "wardens heal better" so many places.

When EQ2 went live in Nov 2004... I was a Warden.

Just before RoK went live (not that long ago relatively) the zerker MT for the guild wanted me to go Fury... I prefer Wardens for other reasons.

A fury with heals like "return to pack" and "hibernate" especially after you put the point into "forced hibernate" can heal a group as well as anyone.  Which is why I don't think any healer in the game actually heals better.  I stopped full time raiding in the end of January because I needed a break.  4 days a week for 3 years just gets old...  During that time I leveled a new Warden as I always missed being one.

I think the advantage a Warden has (as healers have advantages compared to each other.. I just don't hink it makes them "better") is that they do the current "whack a cure" better than a Fury.. at least imo.. simply due to AA setup.  Where the right side of the Fury tree is about DPS... the right side of the Warden tree is about Cures.

The advice about "don't forget to heal if you play a Fury" is 100% dead on.  It was a never a problem for me because I don't honestly fit the dps caster playstyle and when you spec DPS as a fury that's really what you are.  I do like healing and Druids are just fun.

In the end I think it just comes down to what fits your personality and play style... if you want to heal you just have to find the "fit" for you.

What I used to see Furies do (and did so myself too) is spec for DPS and carry two separate equipment sets. One I used for maximized healing and one for maximized DPS. This can be dangerous if you forget to switch sets (I set up a macro for it), but it'll maximize your DPS while soloing or as a secondary healer and also your healing when you're solo healing.

As to why Warden's heal better. What happens with furies is that we can spike heal like nothing else. I've never played a Warden, but it seems their HoT's heal for much more than our instant heals. For health spikes (Brawler tank is a good example) Furies are preferred healers, but for plate tanks with enormous mitigation, the tank's health just doesn't spike that much, which means Warden's are much more efficient. By that I mean their power won't drop as much as a Fury's during combat. A single HoT by a Warden could heal 2 or 3 hits while that would take 2 or 3 different heals on the Fury's part (assuming our HoT doesn't take care of those).