Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Card advise

Crusix221Crusix221 Member UncommonPosts: 100

I currently have an over clocked 8600 gt 256 mb love the card runs pretty much any MMO but its slightly to big for my case and leaves it half open . My question is, is there an equivalant to that card or upgrade which would be a little smaller in physical size. Also after putting it in my PC its load as hell, is it because of the power supply? I have a dell optiplex 280gx

Comments

• Agricola1Agricola1 Member UncommonPosts: 4,977
    Originally posted by Crusix221

I currently have an over clocked 8600 gt 256 mb love the card runs pretty much any MMO but its slightly to big for my case and leaves it half open . My question is, is there an equivalant to that card or upgrade which would be a little smaller in physical size. Also after putting it in my PC its load as hell, is it because of the power supply? I have a dell optiplex 280gx

Some quick figures I pulled off the net,

ATI

Length         Height            Width

4770 =   200MM  X    100MM     X    32MM

4830 =    220        X      100         X      15

4850 =     210       X        100        X       33

Nvidia

8600 =      190     X         100        X       33

8800 =       220     X      100         X         33

9600  =     210      X      100         X          16

250 =          241    X       111         X      32

Dimensions change from manufacturer to manufacturer and the width is 15MM with one then 33MM with another. I believe they're taking measurements from different places, for instance 15MM - 33MM width might be the difference between the width on the card board and the interface.

I'm reccomending the ATI 4770 due to excellent value, it would also be an upgrade at a reasonable price compared to what you have now. You have to make the measurements yourself and see if it'll fit.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience"

CS Lewis

• Sir_DripSir_Drip Member Posts: 133
    Originally posted by Agricola1

ATI

Nvidia

Dimensions change from manufacturer to manufacturer and the width is 15MM with one then 33MM with another. I believe they're taking measurements from different places, for instance 15MM - 33MM width might be the difference between the width on the card board and the interface.

I'm reccomending the ATI 4770 due to excellent value, it would also be an upgrade at a reasonable price compared to what you have now. You have to make the measurements yourself and see if it'll fit.

Shame on you Agricola1....Tell him to replace his case with a Antec 300 or 900 case! But.. Not to replace a card that is working for HIM!

You should be ashamed of yourself Agricola1!

• Agricola1Agricola1 Member UncommonPosts: 4,977
    Originally posted by Sir_Drip

Originally posted by Agricola1

ATI

Nvidia

Shame on you Agricola1....Tell him to replace his case with a Antec 300 or 900 case! But.. Not to replace a card that is working for HIM!

You should be ashamed of yourself Agricola1!

Actually you're right, I didn't think of doing that /slaps face with wet fish.

I've bought this case Aplus Twin Engine which was only £60 when I bought it, but yeah the Antec cases seem to be the most popular and I've never heard anyone speak ill of them.

Thanks for stopping me!

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience"

CS Lewis

• Crusix221Crusix221 Member UncommonPosts: 100

replacing the case would be so much cheaper haha but can you do that? can i actually move all the compents from this optiplex gx280 to a case like that and have it still function? Also i know a decent amount about computers but would i be able to do that without screwing it up?

• Sir_DripSir_Drip Member Posts: 133

replacing the case would be so much cheaper haha but can you do that? can i actually move all the compents from this optiplex gx280 to a case like that and have it still function? Also i know a decent amount about computers but would i be able to do that without screwing it up?

replacing the case would be so much cheaper haha but can you do that?

Yes I can!

can i actually move all the compents from this optiplex gx280 to a case like that and have it still function?

I don't see why you couldn't.

Also i know a decent amount about computers but would i be able to do that without screwing it up?

I could do it without screwing it up!

If you get a case that is too tall.... you might need some cable extentions and or longer cables...Other than that you should be OK.