Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Official site is now down.

Comments

• RokurgeptaRokurgepta Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,136
    Originally posted by Trollarama

Originally posted by DillingerEP

If anyone should be issuing a lawsuit, it should be NcSoft vs RG.... asking for their 100million back. .

I'm confident they got all that back on copy sales alone in the first few months.

Then you need to learn math. Here I will teach you. 100 million divided by 50 = 2 million. TR never sold 2 million copies. The game peaked at under 100k subs. That concludes todays lesson. Please check back tomorrow and I will teach you something new.

If TR had made back the initial costs you would still be playing. Can you really believe they made back their money? You do know NCSoft puts out a Quarterly financial report and any of this can be researched instead of guessed at like you continue to do so poorly.

Edit: TR was selling so well that by me 3 months after release it was on the $19.99 and under rack.

• TrollaramaTrollarama Member Posts: 96
    Originally posted by Raltar

If anyone should be issuing a lawsuit, it should be NcSoft vs RG.... asking for their 100million back. .

I'm confident they got all that back on copy sales alone in the first few months.

Yeah... I'm sure. (????) Profitable games that make huge sums of money like that are always the first to get shut down. I hear WoW is being shut down next week.

(Seriously, if you are going to troll try not to make us laugh at you. It kind of defeats the point.)

By your tone, It appears YOU are the troll here. I'm not sure what relevance the WOW comparison is. No other game has gone remotely close to it's level of success, so again, don't compare the game to WOW.  

I don't have the figures for copy sales but some might have put it at 140k. Do the maths, even an estimation, otherwise go crap on another thread.

Yeah... I'm sure. (????) Profitable games that make huge sums of money like that are always the first to get shut down. I hear WoW is being shut down next week.

(Seriously, if you are going to troll try not to make us laugh at you. It kind of defeats the point.)

By your tone, It appears YOU are the troll here. I'm not sure what relevance the WOW comparison is. No other game has gone remotely close to it's level of success, so again, don't compare the game to WOW.  

I don't have the figures for copy sales but some might have put it at 140k. Do the maths, even an estimation, otherwise go crap on another thread.

OK do the math 140k copies times $50 = $700,000 in copy sales. How does that cover the $100 million they spent? It would seem maths are your downfall.

Originally posted by Rokurgepta

Then you need to learn math. Here I will teach you. 100 million divided by 50 = 2 million. TR never sold 2 million copies. The game peaked at under 100k subs. That concludes todays lesson. Please check back tomorrow and I will teach you something new.

Thank you for the maths lesson. Now would you agree that  the first 140k  or so sub came along with a copy of the game? And can your brain figure out which is more expensive,  the sub or the game copy?  Also I wouln't bandy about too much with one figure because it's subject to fluctuation. I know, I know. Your brain cant handle fluctuating figures. Take some more maths lessons.

Thank you for the maths lesson. Now would you agree that  the first 140k  or so sub came along with a copy of the game? And can your brain figure out which is more expensive,  the sub or the game copy?  Also I wouln't bandy about too much with one figure because it's subject to fluctuation. I know, I know. Your brain cant handle fluctuating figures. Take some more maths lessons.

I did not say subs. Learn to read I said they paid $50 for the game. That is 140k people buying the game. Those game copies might have come out to $700,000 dollars. Not even close to the 100 million they needed to make back. The figure is not subject to fluctuation in any way shape or form. If anything the money would go down if you want to talk about the game cost going down so soon after release. The sub number I quoted was the highest they had playing the game at the same time.

Seriously you are in no position to question anyone elses brain when your own thinks 140k copies of the game and the highest querterly sub rate under 100k means they made back 100 MILLION dollars. Trollarama this is not the place for you. Here we have people with braincells.

Edit: I will type slowly for you. They spent over 100 million to get RG ont he game and the game developed. They would have needed to sell 2 million copies of the game to make your fantasy statement of making that money back on copy sales the first few months. You are obviously a clueless child with no education or ability to add. Please stop making this place dumber than normal.

How many times did you edit your last post? It reads good enough to soothe your fragile ego.

It wouldn't be a smart thing to go around throwing numbers like they were facts in the first place, and you seem to have omitted the years worth of subs conveniently. They do add up Einstein. I'm certain RG is in a better position to know than you. He did state it could/ should have continued, so let's wait and see because I don't think he'd be brave enough in the first place to throw a lawsuit if he was in doubt.

NC Soft are currently thinking "shall we settle or go to court?."  I'd be nervous if I did something wrong.

How many times did you edit your last post? It reads good enough to soothe your fragile ego.

It wouldn't be a smart thing to go around throwing numbers like they were facts in the first place, and you seem to have omitted the years worth of subs conveniently. They do add up Einstein. I'm certain RG is in a better position to know than you. He did state it could/ should have continued, so let's wait and see because I don't think he'd be brave enough in the first place to throw a lawsuit if he was in doubt.
    NC Soft are currently thinking "shall we settle or go to court?."  I'd be nervous if I did something wrong.

The numbers are facts. They release a quarterly financial report than anyone, even you, can look up and see the facts. The years worth of subs were less than 8 million for the year the game was active. I omitted them because your statement was they made the money back in box sales alone. So the omission was because your own uneducated and unknowledgable statement did not include the years worth of Subs, which was not a very large number to begin with. If you fail to do your own research why should I take you seriously? You are clearly a know nothing troll, it is even part of you name.

Could the game have continued? Sure and maybe with enough work one day it might have broken even. But at the ratge it was dying off before RG quit or they announced the game was being shut down that dfay would have been 15 years from now and that would not have included any costs during those 15 years.

By the way I did one edit on that post and if you paid attention I put the word edit in and then added my comment.

It depends on what your definition of 'Troll' is. I've been lurking for awhile here and I fittingly dedicated my username for the average level of mentality that permeates here. I consider a troll as someone with social difficulties, primarily people who have a need to put others down at the merest thought of attempting some form of rational debate. You seem to fit this definition.

I'll have to repeat what I said earlier about figures. Don't pretend you are certain of the figures. You are judging by hypothetical figures. I'll concede that my original 100 million/copy sales figure is wrong but how do we really know how much the project cost? They could be cooked for all we know. If it was that black and white like a few of you claim about NC Soft losing 100million, then why the hell would RG be so bold with the lawsuit?

It depends on what your definition of 'Troll' is. I've been lurking for awhile here and I fittingly dedicated my username for the average level of mentality that permeates here. I consider a troll as someone with social difficulties, primarily people who have a need to put others down at the merest thought of attempting some form of rational debate. You seem to fit this definition.

I'll have to repeat what I said earlier about figures. Don't pretend you are certain of the figures. You are judging by hypothetical figures. I'll concede that my original 100 million/copy sales figure is wrong but how do we really know how much the project cost? They could be cooked for all we know. If it was that black and white like a few of you claim about NC Soft losing 100million, then why the hell would RG be so bold with the lawsuit?

Nice and slow again. NCSoft is a publically traded company by LAW they are required to report quarterly on their financial issues. These reports can be downloaded on the internet. Most people you see discussing these numbers about TR have dowloaded and read the reports. The only thing you need to do is calculate Korean money into your own to get the costs and profits. Learn what hypothetical means. Get a dictionary son and educate yourself.

You have insulted entire cultures and other people on this board. You fit your definition of troll to a T. You refuse to do research yet you cry because I insult you for it. If you fail to educate yourself that is your problem, stop blaming me for your own shortcomings. I have tryied to explain it nicely but the truth is you do not deserve that treatment. You refuse to listen to people who have clearly proven they know more about this subject than you. Your insistance upon questioning numbers you are too lazy to look up has become annoying at best. If you want to continue this feeble debate of yours I suggest some real research so you can actually approach the level of maturity you seem to think you have attained.

Nice and slow again. NCSoft is a publically traded company by LAW they are required to report quarterly on their financial issues. These reports can be downloaded on the internet. Most people you see discussing these numbers about TR have dowloaded and read the reports. The only thing you need to do is calculate Korean money into your own to get the costs and profits. Learn what hypothetical means. Get a dictionary son and educate yourself.

You have insulted entire cultures and other people on this board. You fit your definition of troll to a T. You refuse to do research yet you cry because I insult you for it. If you fail to educate yourself that is your problem, stop blaming me for your own shortcomings. I have tryied to explain it nicely but the truth is you do not deserve that treatment. You refuse to listen to people who have clearly proven they know more about this subject than you. Your insistance upon questioning numbers you are too lazy to look up has become annoying at best. If you want to continue this feeble debate of yours I suggest some real research so you can actually approach the level of maturity you seem to think you have attained.

Okay mate. Your accusation of cultural insult is a little over sensitive methinks but dont be dishonest as to think you explained anything nicely here.

I'll concede I was wrong and maybe a little silly in regards to the cost of the project and I apologize. NC Soft lost money. Are they absolved of any blame? I don't think so. They did nothing to promote the game, save a few mind invasive adds on DR. Arenanet, I was observing made a strange shfit in regards to policy on GW2 release date after NC Soft released some itinery putting it to 2011-12. Arenanet had made some statement about an early 09 release and then made an official statement denying it. What's this got to do with it? I'm not certain but maybe I'm postulating that they marginalized or maybe even sabotaged TR to concentrate on other stuff. You don't make revenue by showing no support and keeping it up for 1 year.

Okay mate. Your accusation of cultural insult is a little over sensitive methinks but dont be dishonest as to think you explained anything nicely here.

I'll concede I was wrong and maybe a little silly in regards to the cost of the project and I apologize. NC Soft lost money. Are they absolved of any blame? I don't think so. They did nothing to promote the game, save a few mind invasive adds on DR. Arenanet, I was observing made a strange shfit in regards to policy on GW2 release date after NC Soft released some itinery putting it to 2011-12. Arenanet had made some statement about an early 09 release and then made an official statement denying it. What's this got to do with it? I'm not certain but maybe I'm postulating that they marginalized or maybe even sabotaged TR to concentrate on other stuff. You don't make revenue by showing no support and keeping it up for 1 year.

First off the mods deleted your racial insult so I was not being over sensitive. I was correct and you were out of line.

As for explaining nice, sure I tried without insult at first but you quickly wore away my kindness with repeated attacks on my honesty because you continually questioned my numbers. The same numbers you refused to research yourself.

I never said NCSoft shoulders no blame here. They pushed out that pile of trash at least a year before it was ready for paying customers. It makes no sense to sabotage the game you spent the most money on. They lost more closing TR than any other game they have. Though I am looking forward to GW2 I am not happy it will now be 2-3 years later than initially planned.

• kazmokazmo Member Posts: 715

Thank you for the pressing news.

hah.. "pressing news", funny..

*cough*

I really don't get it. What is not to understand people..

Mr. Richard is the #1 failure when it comes to putting out an MMO. It's amusing when people say that maybe there is a slim chance it could come back. 

Really?

By the way, it's not Tabula Rasa, it is Richard Garriott's Tabula Rasa, that is the real title of the game.

When the game is failing and needs utter resuscitation - What more confirmation do you need from someone to know they don't give a shit, when the one man ultimately responsible for nearly everything, the man bearing the actual title of the game is ...............IN. FUCKING. SPACE.

You can't make this up. The s.o.b. was in SPACE! This is like a horrible fucking comedy!

The man wasn't even on EARTH and you expect there might be a come back and Richard Garriott isn't at fault, after spending 30M for that little space escapade.

• catsaadcatsaad Member Posts: 176
    Originally posted by aeroplane22

I really don't get it. What is not to understand people..

Mr. Richard is the #1 failure when it comes to putting out an MMO. It's amusing when people say that maybe there is a slim chance it could come back. 

Really?

By the way, it's not Tabula Rasa, it is Richard Garriott's Tabula Rasa, that is the real title of the game.

When the game is failing and needs utter resuscitation - What more confirmation do you need from someone to know they don't give a shit, when the one man ultimately responsible for nearly everything, the man bearing the actual title of the game is ...............IN. FUCKING. SPACE.

You can't make this up. The s.o.b. was in SPACE! This is like a horrible fucking comedy!

The man wasn't even on EARTH and you expect there might be a come back and Richard Garriott isn't at fault, after spending 30M for that little space escapade.

are you an employee of plaync or what?? it was plaync that made free promotion for game by making hype of richard garriot going in space. it was called operation mortality!!!! if you have short term memory loss .it is fine with me.

• RaltarRaltar Member UncommonPosts: 829
    Originally posted by catsaad

are you an employee of plaync or what?? it was plaync that made free promotion for game by making hype of richard garriot going in space. it was called operation mortality!!!! if you have short term memory loss .it is fine with me.

Now who has the short term memory loss?

Our buddy Richard Garriot is famous for his own shameless self-promotion. NCSoft didn't put that site up for him. And his absurd "Operation Immortality" was a joke on every possible level. If Aliens ever actually find that capsule on board the space station they will probably blow up the earth to make sure Richard's arrogance and lies don't end up spreading to the rest of the galaxy. Its the only way to be sure.

(P.S. It was funny how that troll tried to make some kind of social commentary about our forums but he was the one who ended up using an insult in every single one of his posts and got multiple warnings from the moderators. Thats irony for you.)

Our buddy Richard Garriot is famous for his own shameless self-promotion. NCSoft didn't put that site up for him. And his absurd "Operation Immortality" was a joke on every possible level. If Aliens ever actually find that capsule on board the space station they will probably blow up the earth to make sure Richard's arrogance and lies don't end up spreading to the rest of the galaxy. Its the only way to be sure.

(P.S. It was funny how that troll tried to make some kind of social commentary about our forums but he was the one who ended up using an insult in every single one of his posts and got multiple warnings from the moderators. Thats irony for you.)

Perhaps you need to be informed that NC Soft approved his leave in the first place to go into space, and as you might be able to comprehend, taking a trip into space is not like taking a bus trip downtown from where you live. It was a once in a lifetime chance to go up. Not many people get the chance to go there if you can possibly imagine this.

What is damning is the allegation hat Mr Chris Cheung(NC Soft), announced they were getting rid of him whilst he was in QUARANTINE. What a coward. I think I understand why there's so much hate and malice for the man. It's a little envy. isn't it? People are jealous of his achievements. I'm a little envious of him but it doesn't reach the point of hate.

What is damning is the allegation hat Mr Chris Cheung(NC Soft), announced they were getting rid of him whilst he was in QUARANTINE. What a coward. I think I understand why there's so much hate and malice for the man. It's a little envy. isn't it? People are jealous of his achievements. I'm a little envious of him but it doesn't reach the point of hate.

I dont hate RG nor am I envious of him. His star has dimmed a bit with some of his failures or less than stellar products of late and some may dislike him for envious reasons.

If you're referring to me, I have not received "moderator warnings" of any kind. I don't insult people in "every one of my posts" either.

I can assure you that noone is envious of Richard Garriott's arrogant nature. People are pissed off with the way he let his game sink and the way he shrugged off his customers without so much as an apology.

The fact that he went into space while it was sinking is just amazing. It really is some sort of comedy sketch.

If you're referring to me, I have not received "moderator warnings" of any kind. I don't insult people in "every one of my posts" either.

He was not referring to you. He was talking about Trollarama who made multiple insulting posts while complaining about being insulted.

• RaltarRaltar Member UncommonPosts: 829

I wasn't talking about you. I was talking about "Trollerama" who claims to have chosen his name as some kind of social commentary based on his assumption that all users of this forum are trolls who insult other posters and use false facts in their arguements. The irony here is that he was the one who insulted people, used false facts and got multiple warings for it.

Speaking of which, in reguards to his most recent "facts" I would like to see two things:

#1. Some evidence that NCsoft "approved" of Richard Garriots "leave" to go screw around in space. I have never seen any such announcement from NCsoft stating this and in fact I get the impression that they did NOT approve of his leave. The very fact that Richard claims he was fired as soon as he got back to earth seems to conflict with the idea that they approved of what he was doing. It actually suggests that my assertion that he was neglecting his duties as head developer for Tabula Rasa is correct, if its true that he was fired.

#2. A link to this "announcement" from "Mr Chris Cheung(NC Soft)" where he says that NCsoft is "getting rid" of Richard Garriot. Because I recall very clearly that the only announcement ever made was from Richard himself who claimed he was leaving the company to work on other projects (an obvious refrence to the new fantasy MMO he claims to be working on). This talk of Richard being fired didn't start until Richard changeed his story to file the lawsuit.

But either way you slice it, the bottom line remains the same:

Either Richard is a liar who is now trying to change his story to say he was fired as an excuse to milk NCsoft for more money...

OR...

He was fired because he was too busy to screwing around in space to do his REAL job that he was being paid to do, then he lied about it.

Either way adds up to him being a liar. And given the choice of trusting a liar or trusting NCsoft I'm going to choose NCsoft.

I can assure you that noone is envious of Richard Garriott's arrogant nature. People are pissed off with the way he let his game sink and the way he shrugged off his customers without so much as an apology.

The fact that he went into space while it was sinking is just amazing. It really is some sort of comedy sketch.

He built a castle and so you probably conclude he's arrogant from this fact which is unfounded and irrelevant in the first place. A number of reporters who have met him have said the opposite claiming he's friendly and apporachable, so I don't think we should take the personal attack on him so serious because you are mostl likely not in a position to judge.

Accusing him of 'letting it sink' is also unfounded since the game was shutdown by NC Soft after only 1 year in operation and you missed the point earlier on when I said that taking a trip to space was unlike a bus trip. Unfortunately the timing was bad and he probably had no idea when the Russians would allow for space tourists. It could have been 5 years from now in the future.

Do you think anyone can take a space trip anytime? If you think so, then we could use that as a comic sketch under better circumstances.

Either Richard is a liar who is now trying to change his story to say he was fired as an excuse to milk NCsoft for more money...
     OR...
    He was fired because he was too busy to screwing around in space to do his REAL job that he was being paid to do, then he lied about it.
    Either way adds up to him being a liar. And given the choice of trusting a liar or trusting NCsoft I'm going to choose NCsoft.

Yeah sure. He's a liar. That's why he's risking a lawsuit alleging fraud.

• haggus71haggus71 Member Posts: 254

I'd suggest they kill this thread, but I'm having too much fun seeing one person demonstrate how many ways he can make an ass out of himself!

Going back to the "Oriental" comment, if your brain were developed, you could have said East Asian, which refers to China, Japan, and Korea.  Southeast Asian would be from Burma and Thailand to Indonesia.  Central Asian would be India, Bangladesh, Pakistan and the plethora of other -Stans. 

As to TR...I agree with one poster about the game having not enough for an MMO.  Hell, give it better graphics and it's an RPG.  They spent 7 years working on one game, then, with less than two years left, trashed it, took Auto Assault's engine, and threw together a Halo rip-off.  Really!!  Richard Garriott slaps his name on it, and off they go.

It was fun, to a point, but, when I hopped on, you would see maybe 20 or more people in the MAIN HUBS.  Hell, I can go into a hub on Guild Wars for 5 minutes before I lose connection from the heavy population, and that game has been out 4 years!  TR was dead after less than a year.

I won't even touch those math skills.  With that understanding of finances, you should work for the government.

But keep posting.  You entertain us.

Originally posted by haggus71

....... Halo rip-off......
    It was fun, to a point, but, when I hopped on, you would see maybe 20 or more people in the MAIN HUBS.  Hell, I can go into a hub on Guild Wars for 5 minutes before I lose connection from the heavy population, and that game has been out 4 years!  TR was dead after less than a year.
    I won't even touch those math skills.  With that understanding of finances, you should work for the government.

Your name must be Ed Zitron. Pleased to meet you. Did you play TR for more than 10 minutes? I suppose you were good enough to beat Halo on easy mode though. Gratz!

I wouldn't comment much by making comparisons of two different games with different payment methods either. It's almost like implying that Runes Of Magic is better than all other MMOs save for W.O.W. You sound like you understand a lot about the market..No really.

This discussion has been closed.