Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

About to re install, did they fix these things?

Hey Everyone,

I was considering playing AOC again to check out if the game has changed for the better or worse. Could you please answer these questions as it will help me decide if its worth installing again.

1. Do stats work/have a use now? On Release stats didnt do anything.

2. Is there a decent pvp system now? Release PVP sucked, can you still run into water and break combat still?

3. Are the instances updated at all? Last time I played mobs respawn timers where stupid, most bosses had no loot or acted like regular mobs.

4. Is the population dead? I dont want to resub to a game where nobody plays.

5. Is there decent end game content?

6. Is there pvp gear?

Thanks All!

Comments

• pleasenjoi93pleasenjoi93 Member Posts: 71

All I know is there is PvP gear at higher levels, I play but am not anywhere close to end game so  I know nothing about that, same goes for PvP.

"...these forums are like soap operas"-Nihce

• ionscorpionscorp Member Posts: 27

That really does not help me. Really nobody could say anything on the current state of the game? Im not trolling or anything like that, really would like to know that information before jumping back in.

• UnfinishedUnfinished Member Posts: 881

Sadly the answers to each of those questions is:

"We are working on it" ~ FunCom

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

The stats will be "fixed" in the next game update. Pvp got a major update a few months back, they introduced the murder system etc... They also introduced PVP gear.

Sorry, can't really answer the rest.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• AmazingAveryAmazingAvery Age of Conan AdvocateMember UncommonPosts: 7,188
    Originally posted by ionscorp

Hey Everyone,

I was considering playing AOC again to check out if the game has changed for the better or worse. Could you please answer these questions as it will help me decide if its worth installing again.

Stats have always mean't something it is just that there was such indistinct blur in inplementation. This is why you had the 'naked player' a lot. These days you definately need the gear and the way the game stats in general and how they are presented are currently in overhaul process as part of patch 1.05. As a tester for the game, and working through patch 1.05 there is clear presentation in the tool tips on how things work. There is such a shift from DPS, defence, to Feats and general stats that it is different for all the right reasons. There is no ETA on this patch at the moment. Next week is the 1 year anniversary and there will be a Game Director letter, there may be more hints with release for 1.05 patch in this. Generally most ppl think it is a little ways off still.
    2. Is there a decent pvp system now? Release PVP sucked, can you still run into water and break combat still?
    You can fight in water still. There is the consequence system which released mainly through feedback from the community. When it debuted there were some glaring holes in the mechanics which ruined something new coming into the game at a much needed time. Again over time these mechanics have been sharpened and cleaned up. Even in Patch 1.05 there are many tweaks and system changes here. Guard behaviour changes, guild farming PvP levels changes, all things for the better in 1.05 patch - it truley is a big encompassing patch forthcoming.
    3. Are the instances updated at all? Last time I played mobs respawn timers where stupid, most bosses had no loot or acted like regular mobs.
    A.I I have always felt has been good. Are there specific area's you remember where there was an issue? Raid bosses have been overhauled and tweaked several times to a point where the raiders are a happier bunch of ppl. General bosses or quest bosses have had a noticeable change from my experience across several playfields from Tortage to Aztels. Some have quicker spawn times, others are harder and their attacks are different.
    There are new raid dungeons where the bosses fight dynamically, where as they might use one mechanic one day the next time you go they may fight differently. The learning curve got higher here.
    4. Is the population dead? I dont want to resub to a game where nobody plays.
    The game has 26 servers now, more than EQ2 total, more servers in EU than LOTRO, and since the server merges back a while ago, populations have condensed nicely. This has promoted new server pride, wars, drama and so on. Reformation, reorganisations, re-population. The waste was left behind, the move was community based and now the commnunity is better for it, it was asked for and got. Initially there were abundance of my server is great for population type posts, most of these were people not taking into consideration the obvious influx of players into their realm. Personally speaking and the same goes for lots of current players, right after the merges there were ppl new to the game coming in.
    Now we have the free trials since April 2nd. This time last month from all the places that listed their downloads complete that were doing the trial (bear in mind not all places had a counters ( like mmorpg.com) ) there were over 80k downloads. There was big initial influx of ppl into the game. Naturally the game won't keep them all. But the game is in better shape to hold onto these ppl if that trial had come out pre Xmas. With the advent of patch 1.05 looming the game again is in better shape for these ppl who done the trial and decided to sub for 1 month, as at the end of that (ish) I guess this patch will be on us.
    As Alexander26 put it the other day:
    Instances:
    •Xibaluku (6man)

•Onynx (6man)

•Atzels (6man)

•Caravan (6man)

•3 Resource Instances (6 man/ scale to level)

•Slaughterhouse (solo)

•5 Villas (solo)

Raids:
    •Tier1 - 3 raid instances (4 bosses)

•Tier2 - 3 Raid instances/Wings (9 bosses)

PvP:
    •FFA - pvp servers

•Sieges (pve and pvp servers)

•CE pvp resource collecting

•Mini Games 

Others:
    •Crafting and collecting world/instance drop recipes

•Resourcing (both pve and pvp resources)

•Guild City progression

•Battlekeep progression
    6. Is there pvp gear?
    Here is some from October:  www.tentonhammer.com/node/47421
    Some more here: aocblog.com/2008/09/age-of-conan-pvp-set-screenshots.html
    Bear in mind stats on these are displayed differently now with patch 1.05.
    The best place to look which will also answer further questions is  http://aoc.yg.com/
    Thanks All!

Here are some non disputable game stats from http://aoc.yg.com/

these are stats pulled from the game itself via aoc.yg.com from the game and on their website:

Total number of items: 41808

Total number of players / profiles: 197560 / 740860

Total number of guilds: 7257

Total number of quests / quest chapters: 833 / 1797 = over 2600 total

Total number of active auctions: 105196

Total number of comments: 9453

The game is hardly dying, best proof is to log in and see with the free trial.

There are some "dead" servers, if your going to pick a NA server you can't really go wrong. Best to check out the server talk on the official forum sub sections.

from teh Aoc forums

forums.ageofconan.com/showthread.php

• DruzDruz Member Posts: 276
    Originally posted by AmazingAvery

Hey Everyone,

Stats have always mean't something it is just that there was such indistinct blur in inplementation. This is why you had the 'naked player' a lot. These days you definately need the gear and the way the game stats in general and how they are presented are currently in overhaul process as part of patch 1.05. As a tester for the game, and working through patch 1.05 there is clear presentation in the tool tips on how things work. There is such a shift from DPS, defence, to Feats and general stats that it is different for all the right reasons. There is no ETA on this patch at the moment. Next week is the 1 year anniversary and there will be a Game Director letter, there may be more hints with release for 1.05 patch in this. Generally most ppl think it is a little ways off still.

For the first 6 months or more, stats did not mean a thing, there was no blur... they literally had no value

That's all I've got to say, I hear the game is pretty fun now. (I played till 80 as a HoX and loved it. just had nothing to do after that)

• krityckrityc Member UncommonPosts: 175

Sounds like some legitament upgrades . . . just might reinstall to give it a second whirl.  I always did like the prolonged pvp combat instead of insta death like most games.

[(T+G=W)=Gr*Nf]-S=FoF
    T=Time G=Gear W=Win Gr=Grind Nf=NoFun S=Skill FoF=FullofFail

"Hey, I'll tell you what. You can get a good look at a butcher's azz by sticking your head up there. But, wouldn't you rather to take his word for it?" - Tommy Boy

• crunchyblackcrunchyblack Member Posts: 1,362
    Originally posted by krityc

Sounds like some legitament upgrades . . . just might reinstall to give it a second whirl.  I always did like the prolonged pvp combat instead of insta death like most games.

I think that if your really a stickler on the endgame content you should wait for the next patch to drop, just to be safe.

Also if you like prolonged pvp, tcos might be right up your alley, its a quality game that for some reason AoC is pulling me further and further away from.  Ive never really been torn between two game before, a shame i dont have the time to enjoy both, hell i like aoc more because i progress faster in the small amount of time i do have.

but yeah, im still shocked at how diffrent the game is from what the forums here and over on aoc's made the game out to be. from what i hear the only real complaints are players who have been at endgame for a long time.  mabey the lesson is to take your time getting to endgame, then enjoy that as your reward.  never will get the power levelers who get to endgame in a day, unless its like your 3rd character and hes only for pvp.

• TjommisTjommis Member UncommonPosts: 225
    Originally posted by Unfinished

from teh Aoc forums

MMO law # 1: If you are a hardcore gamer and play a game for a period of time, you will finish content and be bored/burned out

MMO law # 2: Someone is gonna make a post on the forums to whine about it^^

Originally posted by Tjommis

from teh Aoc forums

MMO law # 1: If you are a hardcore gamer and play a game for a period of time, you will finish content and be bored/burned out

The 'hardcore' finished the single track of content, were bored and left in the first 3 months.

• BarteauxBarteaux Member Posts: 483
    Originally posted by Tjommis

from teh Aoc forums

MMO law # 3: A significant portion of forum posters believe whining will make them look hardcore.

"nerf rock, paper is working as intended."

- Scissors.

Head Chop

• ionscorpionscorp Member Posts: 27

Thanks everyone, I resubbed and playing on my 48 Demo.. Its fun and I am glad I resubbed..