Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Trek movie

Comments

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965
    Originally posted by Laughing-man

Post Deleted

Christ man. The reason I am posting like this as I am getting fed up with you people crying like little babies all over the internet over a movie. God man. It's a movie!

You guys were bashing this movie the moment it was announced and not even made yet.

I don't know tho... but the Star Trek franchise was in an all time low. It was even at such a low that people thought the franchise was done for!

This movie smacked Star Trek right back on the map! It received the highest ratings for 2009! Pretty much every known movie critic and newspaper gave this movie pretty much the highest possible scores.

The point is. You so called Trekkies seem impossible to be pleased. To a point, that I wonder why the heck you even still a Star Trek fan? Why not just give up on move on. Or keep enjoying your old DVD boxes.

I don't mind if people don't like a movie. Everyone is entitled not to like a movie.

But you people are crying all over the internet spamming every forum and every ST youtube video trying to convince everyone this is the worst movie ever.

It goes even so far that it's an all time battle between Start Trek fans themselves on the official forums. Spamming dozens of same debating topics over and over and over and over.

It's both hilarious and pathetic at the same time.

You guys are so vocal and loud on the internet that the media is even taking the piss on you so called Trekkies and you don't even notice it.

Even the Studio itself, as they see the movie being a huge success, bringing a shitload of money into their pockets and so basically laughing at these so called Trekkies crying on the internet trying to tell them otherwise.

Cheers

• Ramonski7Ramonski7 Member UncommonPosts: 2,662

Damn my wandering eyes! Next time OP please put Spoiler Alerts in your title. Or posters just need to say so BEFORE indulging on your fanboi rants. I saw 1 poster do that.....

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

Originally posted by Ramonski7

Damn my wandering eyes! Next time OP please put Spoiler Alerts in your title. Or posters just need to say so BEFORE indulging on your fanboi rants. I saw 1 poster do that.....

You should take a look at the official Star Trek forums. It's a complete warzone there at the moment.

.... but then again... when isn't.

• CazNeergCazNeerg Member Posts: 2,198

The new movie didn't "rewrite" anything any more than any of the other sequels.  It isn't a "reboot" either.  It is a time travel story.  Expecting every single character to be exactly the same down to the slightest bit of dialogue and word choice is just silly, when the bulk of the story takes place 25 years after the timeline started changing.  The initial contact with Nero was intense enough, and 25 years is a lot of time for ripples to start flowing out.

Getting mad about the direction they chose to take the ongoing story of the Star Trek universe in with the release of this movie is no more or less valid than getting mad that they resurrected Spock in Star Trek III, mad that they went in really really fast circles to travel back in time in Star Trek IV, mad that they made Kirk die in a supremely wussy fashion to save that geriatric Picard in Generations, or mad that all the TNG movies after First Contact pretty much stunk.  Absolutely nothing in the new movie was inconsistent with the way things had been presented before, given the alteration in the timeline.  Not one thing.  People need to quit confusing not liking the direction with thinking that it is criminal or inaccurate. 

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
    Through passion, I gain strength.
    Through strength, I gain power.
    Through power, I gain victory.
    Through victory, my chains are broken.
    The Force shall free me.

• ShohadakuShohadaku Member Posts: 581

Maybe down the line they stop the Romulon from going back in time, thus putting time back the right way. Maybe Spok learned how to correct his failure. You can't take any absolutes from how this 1 movie ends. They might continue the storyline.

In any case, the movie rocks and they did a great job with the characters. I think it's great how they showed even if you change someones upbringing and circumstances they still can find their destiny.

• Vagrant_ZeroVagrant_Zero Member Posts: 1,190

I'm glad this movie won't see a sequel.

This movie will be getting a sequel. Early pre-lims have it at 32Mil for opening day, with an expected 72Mil OW. Expect that this movie will have legs with good word of mouth and rave reviews, assume at a minimum a 3.0 multiplier though 4.0 seems more likely. This movie will pull in over 200Mil domestic easy (I personally have it pegged at 250-275), twice what any other trek flick has done.

The real question is how will it fair overseas. Early tracking suggests exceptional (slightly behind Origins in UK, Germany, and Australia), but we won't have final numbers until Sunday evening. If this movie can gross 100Mil foreign Paramount will consider it a success. It is already a success domestic, that is no longer in contention.

As for the holdouts of the old guard; Captain Kirk has already commented on the demise of Roddenberry trek and it's staunch light-fearing followers. "Let them die!" he said.

Regardless, I am glad that you are no longer glad.

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361

The movie was awsome and I hope there will be more.

• AgtSmithAgtSmith Member Posts: 1,498

Originally posted by Salvatoris

Originally posted by AgtSmith

It was a B movie (granted with A movie effects and stye), nothing more and nothing less.  Given how loose they where with the things I mentioned, amoung other things, there is not way you can rebuild ST in such a loose foundation.

http://www.metacritic.com/film/titles/startrek2009

compared to previous Star trek Films...

http://www.metacritic.com/search/process?sort=relevance&termType=all&ts=star+trek&ty=1

It looks like the movie is getting pretty good reviews all around.  I understand that you aren't happy with the story, but this bit about it being a B movie is a little far-fetched.  It's seems to me, that the best foundation to rebuild the Star Trek franchise on is a financially successful, critically acclaimed movie.

First - reviews mean nothing.  TOS got bad reviews and canceled after three seasons but it had something that inspired the fans to bring it back.  Second, I have little doubt that a big part of the acclaim is the fact that Abrams was so in your face with the ST community (who I agree can be nuts about things) - critics have never liked ST so seeing ST get made into the same 'ole Hollywood stuff is something they of course would praise.

Again, had this been a Star Troopers movie or some non ST movie I would say cool, fun movie and move on and forget it - it wasn't that it was terrible it was that is was very typical of non ST SciFi in that it had glaring plot holes and didn't hold to even the idea of what came before (things which have defined Trek and made it a franchise).  Casting was good, look and style of movie was good, acting was OK to good - but the plot and the plot as it relates to restarting ST in a way that is utterly not ST is what makes it bad.  This movie will be long forgotten before the end of the summer if not sooner.

Originally posted by Arcona
    The only valid plothole you found was the one with Nero not saving his homeworld instead of getting revenge on Spock. Or did he plan to do that after getting revenge?
    Spock's mom could not be beamed because she moved before the beaming was complete. When they beam a person at high velocity, the person has same velocity when the beaming starts and when it ends, so they remain in the same trajectory.
    Spock and Uhuru had been a couble way longer than we know.
    Was Spock an instructur at starfleet? didnt he just program the simulations?

- Oh come on - the nero not saving his homeworld is a big flaw as that is the very basis for everything that happens. 

- Spock sitting in that cave and not walking across the way to the Starfleet outpost he knows is there to warn Starfleet/Vulcan is a pretty big hole. 

- Yes I know Uhuru and Spock had the relationship going back before getting on Enterprise - the ridiculousness of it is that Spock of all people would violate the instructor-student thing (programmer, whatever as the movie made it seem like both possibly since he was making crew assignments and she said what she did about him remarking at her being such a good student) anymore than he would violte the senior officer and junior officer thing.  But that aside, so what they are involved let's say we let that go - we got to accept them making out on the transporter pad and in turbolifts?  Come on, this is ST?

- So it was Spock's mom moving - but what about Kirk and Sulu moving at terminal velocity just a bit before and getting transported with no problem?  Both cannot work - either the moving screws it up (like with Spocks Mom) or it doesn't (like with Sulu/Kirk).

But all those aside, we are to believe that Uhuru and Kirk and Bones arrive as fresh recruits from Starfleet (actually not even graduated) and in a matter of the movies real time in minutes they are replacing senior officers?  And Spock, to second in command and then Captain when just an hour before (in the movies real time) he was an instructor/programmer at Starfleet?  Kirk is the worst of them all though.  This new Kirk had no father from birth and grew up obviously quite differently as the car stealing and bar brawling parts showed us but somehow just 3 years (again not even graduated and NEVER served as enlisted man or junior officer on a ship) and he stows away on the ship (the fake sick thing) and in minutes of the movies real time he is made first officer?  What?  Even for Hollywood, even for bad SciFi this is hard to believe.  It wouldn't happen on a garbage hauler let alone the fleets flagship and certainly not in such a desperate moment when experience would matter more than anything - but I suppose this movie is telling use that Kirk is the great man and captain because of genetics and that his life experience, training, and all of that is irrelevant.  Please, that is bad Star Trek and bad film.

Yes this movie was basicly a random summer movie, like fast and furious.

Agree,  In terms of your average summer flick it was cool movie, it terms of the supposed basis for saving Star Trek and restarting it - not a chance.  Batman was a franchise that reset and did so in good fashion and it did so by first getting back to the franchises roots, the Dark Knight not the campy POW-SAM-BOOM stuff, and second by making a good flick of it.  This ST movie did the opposite trashing the roots even if they made a better movie of ST than has been done since TNG had the movies (they should have quit before Riker ever got that pop up joystick for crying out loud).

--------------------------------
    Achiever 60.00%, Socializer 53.00%, Killer 47.00%, Explorer 40.00%
    Intel Core i7 Quad, Intel X58 SLi, 6G Corsair XMS DDR3, Intel X-25 SSD, 3 WD Velociraptor SATA SuperTrak SAS EX8650 Array, OCZ 1250W PS, GTX 295, xFi, 32" 1080p LCD

• diricio1diricio1 Member Posts: 67

The 'holes' in the plot I listed are pretty big ones and the difference between good SciFi and bad SciFi.  And for Star Trek in particular to 'reboot' with such implausible plot holes to me seems pretty ridiculous.  Like I said, just forget the erasing of TOS/TNG/DS9/VOY and all that how does Star Trek reboot with a captain and crew that are absolute raw recruits not even graduated from StarFleet Academy?  How is the ST universe to be rebuilt if they cannot even provide a plausible scenario about who these characters are and why they are somehow special and worthy of rewriting the ST universe?

It was a B movie (granted with A movie effects and stye), nothing more and nothing less.  Given how loose they where with the things I mentioned, amoung other things, there is not way you can rebuild ST in such a loose foundation.

The only valid plothole you found was the one with Nero not saving his homeworld instead of getting revenge on Spock. Or did he plan to do that after getting revenge?

Spock's mom could not be beamed because she moved after the beaming was complete. When they beam a person at high velocity, the person has same velocity when the beaming starts and when it ends, so they remain in the same trajectory.

Really they had been a couple way longer than "we" know?

How do you know that if you don't know that?

See, your statement makes no logical sense Captian.

Lol you can tell that they have been together for quite some time by their actions basically. You learn something call sub-texting and character development in acting school (which currently I am a student). It really wouldn't make sense until the kissing scene and then if you look BACK at how they acted around each other, and how they spoke of each other to people, it is clear that they are an item and have been before the movie started. It's called the character(s) exposition: What the characters went through before the movie started.

• AgtSmithAgtSmith Member Posts: 1,498
    Originally posted by diricio1

Lol you can tell that they have been together for quite some time by their actions basically. You learn something call sub-texting and character development in acting school (which currently I am a student). It really wouldn't make sense until the kissing scene and then if you look BACK at how they acted around each other, and how they spoke of each other to people, it is clear that they are an item and have been before the movie started. It's called the character(s) exposition: What the characters went through before the movie started.

I am not criticizing the way the actors played the scenes, just the idea that a Vulcan would violate the student-teacher relationship in that way not to mention the senior officer-junior recruit dynamic on the ship.  Seriously, do we need to argue that the Captain of a ship should not be in a turbolift on duty in a crisis with his tongue down the throat of a junior crew member?  OK, turbolifts can be private so forgive that is the transporter pad the proper place for it?  Come on, the relationship is one thing, how it was played/acted is another - the making out on duty in a crisis in view of other crew and one of those participants being a Vulcan officer is just ridiculous.

Originally posted by Vagrant_Zero

This movie will be getting a sequel.

It probably will - there is no lack of trash getting remade and serialised in Hollywood.  But that is not really the question, I won't argue that the movie is not good enough to make enough money to have the studio happy - the question is was it up to renewing and envigorating the phenomena that brough Star trek from cult rerun favorite to major franchise success and there is not way on that count.  the plot holes, the sloppiness with accuracey and plausibility, and the insulting way all that was ST was discarded when it didn't have to be to make this movie make for a poor foundation for rebuilding the Star trek franchise even if they get a sequal or two out of it before it finally fades away.

--------------------------------
    Achiever 60.00%, Socializer 53.00%, Killer 47.00%, Explorer 40.00%
    Intel Core i7 Quad, Intel X58 SLi, 6G Corsair XMS DDR3, Intel X-25 SSD, 3 WD Velociraptor SATA SuperTrak SAS EX8650 Array, OCZ 1250W PS, GTX 295, xFi, 32" 1080p LCD

• Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654

Originally posted by diricio1

I am not criticizing the way the actors played the scenes, just the idea that a Vulcan would violate the student-teacher relationship in that way not to mention the senior officer-junior recruit dynamic on the ship.  Seriously, do we need to argue that the Captain of a ship should not be in a turbolift on duty in a crisis with his tongue down the throat of a junior crew member?  OK, turbolifts can be private so forgive that is the transporter pad the proper place for it?  Come on, the relationship is one thing, how it was played/acted is another - the making out on duty in a crisis in view of other crew and one of those participants being a Vulcan officer is just ridiculous.

This movie will be getting a sequel.

It probably will - there is no lack of trash getting remade and serialised in Hollywood.  But that is not really the question, I won't argue that the movie is not good enough to make enough money to have the studio happy - the question is was it up to renewing and envigorating the phenomena that brough Star trek from cult rerun favorite to major franchise success and there is not way on that count.  the plot holes, the sloppiness with accuracey and plausibility, and the insulting way all that was ST was discarded when it didn't have to be to make this movie make for a poor foundation for rebuilding the Star trek franchise even if they get a sequal or two out of it before it finally fades away.

I highlighted what I was trying to say.

Also, Spock has ALWAYS kept everyone at arms length, They totally made an ENTIRELY DIFFERENT Character and called him Spock.

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361

hmmm I wonder now if theres going to be two different faction of trekkies, one is the original fans and the other for the new version like the Vulcans and Romulans hehe.

• ThradarThradar Member Posts: 949

Fun movie.  Don't get anal and take it too serious.  Yes, it's an alternate timeline version of the franchise.  So what?  The "canon" timeline versions still happened, yadda, yadda, yadda.

Just sit back and enjoy the flick.

• lornphoenixlornphoenix Member Posts: 993

I have some minor issues with the movie, but I loved it.

• Vagrant_ZeroVagrant_Zero Member Posts: 1,190

Originally posted by tkreep
    hmmm I wonder now if theres going to be two different faction of trekkies, one is the original fans and the other for the new version like the Vulcans and Romulans hehe.

I doubt it. Things will probably play out now like they did when BSG relaunched. You'll have your minority negative but vocal crowd complaining to high heaven about the remake, the remake will go on to be both critically and commercially successful, the minority crowd will eventually run out of emo-steam and fall to the internet wayside and the relaunched franchise will become the dominant one.

After all, who today remembers the original BSG fans?

Originally posted by tkreep

I doubt it. Things will probably play out now like they did when BSG relaunched. You'll have your minority negative but vocal crowd complaining to high heaven about the remake, the remake will go on to be both critically and commercially successful, the minority crowd will eventually run out of emo-steam and fall to the internet wayside and the relaunched franchise will become the dominant one.

After all, who today remembers the original BSG fans?

There have always been 2 factions of Trekkies.

The normal Trekkies with an open mind and pretty much love everything. With some less serie or movie here and there.

And then you got the religious faction of Trekkies who are now crying all over the internet and pretty much have been since the Next Generation Series back in the 80's lol.

-----------------

And for the people wondering how the new movie is doing overseas. Here in Norway it's a huge hit. Highest movie scores in all newspapers and magazines. Something I haven't seen since quite a while.

In The Netherlands (where Im originally from and my family still lives) the movie is a huge hit too with very good reviews!

-----------------

The sequal will be interesting nonetheless. Are they continue on the alternate timeline? Or are they going to try restore the timeline?

Time will tell... I hope for the latter one... but all in all... will be interesting to see what's next.

• ArconaArcona Member UncommonPosts: 1,182

Ok, one more time :)

Spock's mom fell out of the "white beaming rays" before the beaming was complete,

while the guys who got beamed at high velocity stayed inside the" white beaming rays" during the entire process.

• RaiizenRaiizen Member Posts: 177

no one wants to se the old 80s bs you old people should just go back to sleep your like the darkfall playerbase of 10k and then for the new people we have wows 12 mill cry all you want you will just fail in the end lol my self i hate the old series since it was so retarded how ev erytime someone of the main characters got hurt or went missing they DID everything possibly even breaking the rules to save them yet if some random guy died they where just like eh toughluck cya

• ArconaArcona Member UncommonPosts: 1,182

The movie Gladiator got high praises and reviews all around, but the movie got more historic inaccuracies and plotholes than a swiss cheese. Who cares? Its a great movie.

• ericbelserericbelser Member Posts: 783

Well, speaking as someone who loathes the "original" Star Trek and couldn't care less about the storyline....

I'm still not going to see it. Why?

Remakes *all* are by their nature just recycling and not innovative or creative. I have no more interest in seeing 50 different iterations of Kirk and Spock than I did in seeing 99 different versions of "Batman". The writer/director are hacks who couldn't make up anything actually new and original so they sold the packs of lame ass studio execs on yet another mediocre and "safe" sequel/remake...>yawn<

The plot holes and inconsistencies in the movie sound terrible, just covered over by frantic lemming like action. I don't buy the "best movie of the year" reviews in the least, except insofar as this has been a terrible year for movies. Best of a really bad start I might buy, but even then...not really. Wolverine wins for me because at least it was something *new*.

• TheHavokTheHavok Member UncommonPosts: 2,423

The movie Gladiator got high praises and reviews all around, but the movie got more historic inaccuracies and plotholes than a swiss cheese. Who cares? Its a great movie.

Dude

Coke cat is my sig.....wtf....

• AcorniaAcornia Member UncommonPosts: 275

Why other than to let Kirk see it, would you build a starship like the Enterprise on the surface of a planet instead of out in space?

Also where can I get a full size Kirk doll to putt under the bed!

• almerelalmerel Member UncommonPosts: 658
    Originally posted by admriker4

ThIs movie will literally cause a rebirth of the Trek genre.
    I went to the Star Trek premiere last night at the midnight showing. My mouth dropped as I watched people walk in to sit down. dozens of teens including shockingly girls (in groups, not just some guy's date) poured in.
    Finally I stood up, faced the crowd and stated "am i in the right theatre cause I see teens and girls, this cant be a Trek crowd"
    I got some laughs over that.
    The concessions kid said that Trek is cool now.
    Personally I thought the movie was brilliant. It allows for a new rebirth of the show in a tasteful yet respectful manner. As a hardcore trekkie I fully accept and endorse this movie !

This and this lol.

My friends and I went to this movie Friday and we were all surprised by the amount of teenagers there.

I was never a Trek fan before but I am now. I love how they re-invented Star Trek with time travel. Also I'm looking forward to all the "purest" telling us noobs that we just don't get lol.

-Almerel

Hello my old friend.

• almerelalmerel Member UncommonPosts: 658

The 'holes' in the plot I listed are pretty big ones and the difference between good SciFi and bad SciFi.  And for Star Trek in particular to 'reboot' with such implausible plot holes to me seems pretty ridiculous.  Like I said, just forget the erasing of TOS/TNG/DS9/VOY and all that how does Star Trek reboot with a captain and crew that are absolute raw recruits not even graduated from StarFleet Academy?  How is the ST universe to be rebuilt if they cannot even provide a plausible scenario about who these characters are and why they are somehow special and worthy of rewriting the ST universe?

Everything is always half empty with you. I don't think you've given anything I've read of yours a compliment without backhanding it.

-Almerel

Hello my old friend.

• CazNeergCazNeerg Member Posts: 2,198

Spock's mom could not be beamed because she moved before the beaming was complete. When they beam a person at high velocity, the person has same velocity when the beaming starts and when it ends, so they remain in the same trajectory.
    Was Spock an instructur at starfleet? didnt he just program the simulations?

- Oh come on - the nero not saving his homeworld is a big flaw as that is the very basis for everything that happens. 

- Spock sitting in that cave and not walking across the way to the Starfleet outpost he knows is there to warn Starfleet/Vulcan is a pretty big hole. 

- Yes I know Uhuru and Spock had the relationship going back before getting on Enterprise - the ridiculousness of it is that Spock of all people would violate the instructor-student thing (programmer, whatever as the movie made it seem like both possibly since he was making crew assignments and she said what she did about him remarking at her being such a good student) anymore than he would violte the senior officer and junior officer thing.  But that aside, so what they are involved let's say we let that go - we got to accept them making out on the transporter pad and in turbolifts?  Come on, this is ST?

- So it was Spock's mom moving - but what about Kirk and Sulu moving at terminal velocity just a bit before and getting transported with no problem?  Both cannot work - either the moving screws it up (like with Spocks Mom) or it doesn't (like with Sulu/Kirk).

But all those aside, we are to believe that Uhuru and Kirk and Bones arrive as fresh recruits from Starfleet (actually not even graduated) and in a matter of the movies real time in minutes they are replacing senior officers?  And Spock, to second in command and then Captain when just an hour before (in the movies real time) he was an instructor/programmer at Starfleet?  Kirk is the worst of them all though.  This new Kirk had no father from birth and grew up obviously quite differently as the car stealing and bar brawling parts showed us but somehow just 3 years (again not even graduated and NEVER served as enlisted man or junior officer on a ship) and he stows away on the ship (the fake sick thing) and in minutes of the movies real time he is made first officer?  What?  Even for Hollywood, even for bad SciFi this is hard to believe.  It wouldn't happen on a garbage hauler let alone the fleets flagship and certainly not in such a desperate moment when experience would matter more than anything - but I suppose this movie is telling use that Kirk is the great man and captain because of genetics and that his life experience, training, and all of that is irrelevant.  Please, that is bad Star Trek and bad film.

Yes this movie was basicly a random summer movie, like fast and furious.

Agree,  In terms of your average summer flick it was cool movie, it terms of the supposed basis for saving Star Trek and restarting it - not a chance.  Batman was a franchise that reset and did so in good fashion and it did so by first getting back to the franchises roots, the Dark Knight not the campy POW-SAM-BOOM stuff, and second by making a good flick of it.  This ST movie did the opposite trashing the roots even if they made a better movie of ST than has been done since TNG had the movies (they should have quit before Riker ever got that pop up joystick for crying out loud).

Nero not doing anything to "save" Romulus isn't a flaw at all.  It isn't going to be in any danger for 129 more years.  Besides, given that his first encounter upon reaching the past was one which significantly altered the timeline, *his* Romulus was already gone for good.  If you pay any attention to his character in the movie, he wasn't all that civic-minded, he was mostly just pissed that his wife was dead, and regardless of what he did or didn't do for Romulus, he wasn't getting her back.

We have absolutely no idea how much time passed between Nero dropping Spock on the planet and destroying Vulcan.  We also don't know whether Spock was rendered unconscious before being dumped there.   He may have been on his way to the starfleet outpost and then decided there was no point in continuing when he saw Vulcan destroyed.  A little despair when your planet just imploded is pretty natural.  You are simply exhibiting an emotional response to your dislike of the movie, and trying to construct logical arguments for that dislike where none exist.  Most illogical.

You argue that "Spock of all people would never..." there has never been an on-screen story featuring Spock when he was this young.  If you check the stardates, which is easy online, you find that this movie takes place 8 years before the first episode of the original series.  We can make educated statements about what Spock probably wouldn't have done in 2266.  We have no basis for saying what he *certainly* wouldn't have done in 2258.  As for complaining about making out in Star Trek, did you ever *watch* the original series?  Kirk makes out with everything he can get his hands on.  He is the original man whore.

As for the recruits in positions of power, if you paid attention to what was said in the movie, the main fleet wasn't in any position to help Vulcan.  All they had available was ships without full crews and a ton of cadets who were about to graduate.  As for them keeping their positions at the end of the movie, well, seems like they proved they could handle the heat.

As for complaining about Kirk still being a natural leader even though he had a different past, all that tells us is that you come down firmly on the nurture side of the nature vs. nurture debate, and you think 3 years couldn't possibly be enough nurturing to counterbalance the timeline changes.  Nature vs. nurture is an unsolved debate though, and the nature side could be more right.  Even if not, we know nothing about those 3 years, so we don't know how realistic their development was.

As for "trashing the roots," it didn't happen.  The root of the lasting success of the original crew of Star Trek was great characters, and the relationships between them.  Quinto may not be Nimoy, and Pine is certainly not Shatner, but given those truths, they did as well at nailing the important aspects of character and relationship as anyone could be expected to.  Even as a purely factual matter, they showed immense respect to the roots.  All of the "changes" are logically consistent with the alterations in the time line, and numerous references to elements of prior outings were made in a valid fashion.

In fact, in terms of respecting roots, Star Trek did it *more* than Batman Begins or Casino Royale, because it wasn't a reboot.  It was a time travel story, and in the presence of old Spock, it very much still follows what came before.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
    Through passion, I gain strength.
    Through strength, I gain power.
    Through power, I gain victory.
    Through victory, my chains are broken.
    The Force shall free me.