Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

any point in playing this now, if I haven't already?

raystantzraystantz Final Fantasy XI CorrespondentMember UncommonPosts: 1,237

I have Prophecies. Have had it since launch, but never really played it all that much.

Kind of want to now, but I keep seeing all these posts of "the game is dying" and "GW 2 FTW" and such..

is there any point at this stage?

www.facebook.com/themarksmovierules

Currently playing:

FFXIV on Behemoth, FFXI on Eden, and Gloria Victis on NA. 

Comments

• AllNewMMOSukAllNewMMOSuk Member Posts: 241

Well I know for me, I tried it for the first time recently and didn't have any fun at all, but it might be different for you.

• grandpagamergrandpagamer Member Posts: 2,221

A friend and i were talking about the same thing just this morning. After going to the GW2 website ive decided to wait but if you already own the game, why not? Might help you decide if you want to invest in GW2 or not.

• raystantzraystantz Final Fantasy XI CorrespondentMember UncommonPosts: 1,237

I only have prophecies.. don't really want to spend money on the other 2 unless there is a reason for me to do so.

www.facebook.com/themarksmovierules

Currently playing:

FFXIV on Behemoth, FFXI on Eden, and Gloria Victis on NA. 

• SoulreaverrrSoulreaverrr Member Posts: 13

i played this game for a bit. worth at least a month of play. maby you will like it.

:P

• natuxatunatuxatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,364

I would have to say yes. While others like myself have pretty much exhausted all there is to do that.. if you haven't played it's worth checking out for sure. It's one of my favorites and will give you a good year or two worth which will be just in time for GW2... so it should work out perfectly.

• seeyouspacec0wboyseeyouspacec0wboy Member UncommonPosts: 714

Im in the same boat as you. Got prophcies at launch, played for about a week, quit. Ive been MMO surfing for about a year now and decided to install prophecies last week. My god it was a good decision. Plenty of active players EVERYWHERE who are willing to help, tons of cool stuff to see and do, can be casual or hardcore, has lots of unique aspects. Its seriously so worth it...and its free! So what they heck just install it. Ill be playing this at least until GW2 comes out. If you decide to give it a go look me up: Frae Falconhand.

Originally posted by Scagweed22
    is it the graphics? the repetativenesses? i mean what is the point? you could be so much more productive in real life
    Real life brings repetition and pointlessness too. The only thing real life offers is Great graphics. Its kinda expensive too and way to dependent on the cash shop. Totally pay to win as well. No thank you. Ill stick to my games.

• LydonLydon Member UncommonPosts: 2,938

I continue to find the "Guild Wars is dying!" posts hilarious. Clearly those stating such nonsense have never remotely played a dying game. Guild Wars is one of the highest-populated games on the market. People don't seem to realise that now that we have three campaigns and an expansion, people are going to be spread out a lot more and many more veteran players will turn to PvP instead of PvE once they've exhausted that. 

Secondly, Guild Wars 2 is going to rock...I don't see why "GW 2 FTW" posts worry you?

• TekaelonTekaelon Member UncommonPosts: 604

I played GW for over 2 years and to date it is still the most fun I've had in an online game. The world, character classes, graphics, audio/music and variety of things to do all scream quality, and this from a game with no monthly fees.

I strongly encourage you to participate in both PvE and PvP. It will add so much more to the experience as you play through the game. 

Here's hoping we get a few more details about GW2 soon!!!

• djazzydjazzy Member Posts: 3,578

There are plenty of people on everytime I log on. The beauty of this game is that you don't need a full party of real players to play, you can always flesh out your party with henchmen or heros if you have those campaigns. The only thing you have to worry about is do you like the gameplay and do you enjoy the game. If the answer is yes then it's never to late to start playing.

• tl481tl481 Member Posts: 27

Is GW2 still compatable with GW1 characters? or is it going to be a whole new game/ server and such? I guess it's usefule to know if I'm thinking about coming back to play it. I used to play massively with prophesies but since the launce of the second installment I stopped playing. Now I have no idea how the game is advancing but it still looks decent and I kind of do want to get back into it.

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

Plenty of time to play Guild Wars because chances are we won't be seeing Guild Wars 2 for awhile. Whatever anyone does I suggest you buy any campaign and definitely buy Eye of the North so you can work on maxing out your Hall of Monuments for Guild Wars 2.

• pussaykatpussaykat Member Posts: 791

I really wish the level cap was higher than 20. I was really excited about the game when i saw screenshots but then i found out about the level cap. i got the game anyway, played the prophecies story arc then shelved the game. This is more of a RPG with people around it that you need to complete the quests. It doesn't have crafting or everything else i can't think of that makes a real MMOG a MMOG.

-Would you like cheddar or swiss cheese?
    -Yes.

• GennadiosGennadios Member Posts: 209
    Originally posted by pussaykat

I really wish the level cap was higher than 20. I was really excited about the game when i saw screenshots but then i found out about the level cap. i got the game anyway, played the prophecies story arc then shelved the game. This is more of a RPG with people around it that you need to complete the quests. It doesn't have crafting or everything else i can't think of that makes a real MMOG a MMOG.

In other words it doesn't have a carrot on a stick for you to be constantly meandering after like a mule.

Put another way, if you're a fan of WoW, Everquest, or JRPGs, you won't find much here. If you enjoyed ultima online, weren't willing to dump the insane amount of time into WoW that it requires, or are more into low-level cap D&D/Bioware style RPG's, you'll find plenty here. Alot of us have been with GW for years, so there's plenty of content after you hit the level cap.

@tl481

It will be a whole new game and server, however, titles and achievements you've made in GW1 will carry over in one form of another to GW2. The carryovers are anything from completing a campaign, to completing a high level dungeon, to gaining a title.

There is an incentive to play GW1, and you still have a year to gather an impressive number of achievements. My primary char is only about 7 months old and has 23 ATM, so it's still a good time to start.

• haggus71haggus71 Member Posts: 254

Been playing the game for over two years.  I've tried many other P2P games, yet I still can't find any that give me what GW does for free.  As said before, the community is still very much alive.  Every day new guilds are forming, and others have been active since the game's inception.  Between the storyline, the art, and the PvP, there is plenty to do to keep you busy for at least a few years.  Besides, GW2 Beta wont be out till next year, probably, so it gives you plenty of time to enjoy the game.

s far as buying the other two, you can get the Guild Wars trilogy for 49.99 at eb games, and Eye of the North for 20.  Compare that to shelling out 15 bucks a month for a game that will probably look and play worse, and that you will feel obligates to grind out to get the most out of it.

Haha oh dear...do you actually enjoy the deluded idea of "advancement" in the form of simply raising the level next to your name? That's an illusion of advancement designed to keep you playing so that companies get your $, not advancement. In Guild Wars you actually advance through the story and have real goals to work towards.

I enjoy games such as WoW, but Guild Wars' anti-level policy is an excellent one.

• TekaelonTekaelon Member UncommonPosts: 604

GW is most definitely not about level grind. It's about enjoying the content, and for me making your Toon look really awesome for GvG. :) Plus your character doesn't stop progressing at 20 because you'll have all those elite skills to cap.

UGH I'm really getting homesick for Tyria :( 

Originally posted by Gennadios

In other words it doesn't have a carrot on a stick for you to be constantly meandering after like a mule.

Put another way, if you're a fan of WoW, Everquest, or JRPGs, you won't find much here. If you enjoyed ultima online, weren't willing to dump the insane amount of time into WoW that it requires, or are more into low-level cap D&D/Bioware style RPG's, you'll find plenty here. Alot of us have been with GW for years, so there's plenty of content after you hit the level cap.

@tl481

It will be a whole new game and server, however, titles and achievements you've made in GW1 will carry over in one form of another to GW2. The carryovers are anything from completing a campaign, to completing a high level dungeon, to gaining a title.
    There is an incentive to play GW1, and you still have a year to gather an impressive number of achievements. My primary char is only about 7 months old and has 23 ATM, so it's still a good time to start.

So you like the game and i don't. Is that any reason to call me a mule and to assume i play everquest or world of warcraft? I was giving my personnal impressions. Feel free to do the same in a civic manner.

-Yes.

Originally posted by Lydon

Haha oh dear...do you actually enjoy the deluded idea of "advancement" in the form of simply raising the level next to your name? That's an illusion of advancement designed to keep you playing so that companies get your $, not advancement. In Guild Wars you actually advance through the story and have real goals to work towards.

I enjoy games such as WoW, but Guild Wars' anti-level policy is an excellent one.

I like real advancement, it is usually tied to your level or else you would be all powerful at level 1. I played the story and it didn't last me a month. What "advancement" is there after that. Mind you i didn't touch the game since prophecy's original release so the game might have evolved. I hear there's titles. Some kind of grindfest to put an illusion besides your name that doesn't do anything.

You don't know me. Don't pretend you do.

-Yes.

I like real advancement, it is usually tied to your level or else you would be all powerful at level 1. I played the story and it didn't last me a month. What "advancement" is there after that. Mind you i didn't touch the game since prophecy's original release so the game might have evolved. I hear there's titles. Some kind of grindfest to put an illusion besides your name that doesn't do anything.

Thank goodness I don't know you, because anyone who thinks a 4 year old game is still the same as it was at release needs some serious help. It baffles me how you can honestly think you know what's what in Guild Wars having played it so long ago and it having it evolve in so many aspects since then.

And by the way, the contradiction in your own post is also laughable. "I like real advancement, it is usually tied to your level," "I hear there's titles. Some kind of grindfest besides your name that doesn't do anything." Reality check - levels don't DO anything. They're another number NEXT TO YOUR NAME and they're there to fool you into THINKING you're advancing. All that happens when you level up is that your stats are changed based on a predetermined algorithm. What do you do to level up? You GRIND. You do the EXACT same thing at level 1 in a level based game as you do at level 40, for example, except that you and the mobs all have higher numbers next to your names. That's all levels really are - illusions designed to make you think that you're advancing meanwhile you're doing the exact same thing you've been doing all along. So why the need for levels in the first place? Do you really need to be convinced to play a game with a carrot on a stick in the form of levels? That totally defeats the object of PLAYING in the first place. If you think you're really advancing by simply grinding another level, but think that grinding titles is stupid then that right there is why all MMO's that try to innovate fail. People are simply too silly to realise they're being fooled.

• TorscheTorsche Member Posts: 17
    Originally posted by Lydon

Thank goodness I don't know you, because anyone who thinks a 4 year old game is still the same as it was at release needs some serious help. It baffles me how you can honestly think you know what's what in Guild Wars having played it so long ago and it having it evolve in so many aspects since then.

And by the way, the contradiction in your own post is also laughable. "I like real advancement, it is usually tied to your level," "I hear there's titles. Some kind of grindfest besides your name that doesn't do anything." Reality check - levels don't DO anything. They're another number NEXT TO YOUR NAME and they're there to fool you into THINKING you're advancing. All that happens when you level up is that your stats are changed based on a predetermined algorithm. What do you do to level up? You GRIND. You do the EXACT same thing at level 1 in a level based game as you do at level 40, for example, except that you and the mobs all have higher numbers next to your names. That's all levels really are - illusions designed to make you think that you're advancing meanwhile you're doing the exact same thing you've been doing all along. So why the need for levels in the first place? Do you really need to be convinced to play a game with a carrot on a stick in the form of levels? That totally defeats the object of PLAYING in the first place. If you think you're really advancing by simply grinding another level, but think that grinding titles is stupid then that right there is why all MMO's that try to innovate fail. People are simply too silly to realise they're being fooled.

You can’t have been awake when you played any other games. Levelling is advancing; Level 1 means you get squished, Level 20 means you do the squishing.

And please don’t pretend GW isn’t full of grind. Every time you leave an outpost its grind killing all the way to your destination. There are now over 30 meaningless titles in GW, achieved by grind, i.e. Party Animal. (These did not exist in the old days). Titles like Sunspear and Lightbringer (maxed) are achieved through grind. The new zquests, require you to grind though old missions. The Traveller is pure grind.

To the OP; GW has evolved, is bigger, better and requires more skill than any other game available, give it a try, it can provide 100s of hours of fun.

It could be even better if they added more intelligent challenge.

Originally posted by Torsche 
    You can’t have been awake when you played any other games. Levelling is advancing; Level 1 means you get squished, Level 20 means you do the squishing.
    And please don’t pretend GW isn’t full of grind. Every time you leave an outpost its grind killing all the way to your destination. There are now over 30 meaningless titles in GW, achieved by grind, i.e. Party Animal. (These did not exist in the old days). Titles like Sunspear and Lightbringer (maxed) are achieved through grind. The new zquests, require you to grind though old missions. The Traveller is pure grind.
    To the OP; GW has evolved, is bigger, better and requires more skill than any other game available, give it a try, it can provide 100s of hours of fun.
    It could be even better if they added more intelligent challenge.

Level-based games do NOT contain "real advancement" as pussykat would like everyone to believe. At level one you kill level one mobs for quests...at level 20 you kill level 20 mobs for quests. At level 20 you have no reason to go back and kill level ones. As I said, at level 20 you are doing the exact same thing you did at level one, except that both you and the mobs have different  numbers next to your names. That really is all there is to it. So why have the numbers in the first place if you're doing the exact same thing? That's exactly the philosphy behind Guild Wars' low level cap.

Guild Wars is NOT full of grind either. As you said yourself, the large majority of titles are meaningless - you have no reason to aquire them in order to proceed further in the storyline (unlike level-based games). If you grind titles it is your own choice. ArenaNet added them in order to satisfy the hardcore players. Titles and zaishen quests make up a very very small portion of Guild Wars' content. 

• MudHekketMudHekket Member UncommonPosts: 87

Guild Wars was my favorite game for a long time and still would be, except that it eventually got to the point that I never seemed to be able to find pick-up groups for PvE.  It seemed that I had started the later expansions too late and everyone else had already finished all the content and didn't want to go back over it.  So I stopped playing.

Am I wrong about the difficulty of finding pick-up groups for PvE in Guild Wars?

• Lonesamurai1Lonesamurai1 Member Posts: 1,210

Originally posted by tl481
    Is GW2 still compatable with GW1 characters? or is it going to be a whole new game/ server and such? I guess it's usefule to know if I'm thinking about coming back to play it. I used to play massively with prophesies but since the launce of the second installment I stopped playing. Now I have no idea how the game is advancing but it still looks decent and I kind of do want to get back into it.

From the official wiki:

Original Guild Wars characters

Characters from the original Guild Wars campaign will not be migrated to play in Guild Wars 2. Guild Wars 2 will be a fresh start. Some of the items and titles will be available to players of Guild Wars 2 through a Hall of Monuments which is available to players who have Guild Wars Eye of the North. Names will also be reserved through this system.

imageimage

• djazzydjazzy Member Posts: 3,578
    Originally posted by MudHekket

Guild Wars was my favorite game for a long time and still would be, except that it eventually got to the point that I never seemed to be able to find pick-up groups for PvE.  It seemed that I had started the later expansions too late and everyone else had already finished all the content and didn't want to go back over it.  So I stopped playing.
    Am I wrong about the difficulty of finding pick-up groups for PvE in Guild Wars?

In a way that's true but there are pugs. Most of the time it is people being run through hard mode dungeons. Also you have to know where to look for the groups as well. I imagine you could find people to run Slaver's Exile and also look for the challenge missions, I've seen pugs for that. I usually just run with a friend of mine, sometimes we pick up 1 or 2 more people and then fill out the rest of the group with heros. I haven't come accross anything that we couldn't complete. See if you can find someone to pair up with, personally I would rather do that than pug all 8 players. Anyway, you're right it is harder to pug nowadays but it is also a 4 year old game, that is going to happen (just like it happens to all the other games around). I do think out of all the mmo's this game would be the easiest to pick up and play at a later date, all the rest of the games you have to catch up gear wise (or skill point wise such as in EVE).

Originally posted by arenasb 
    In a way that's true but there are pugs. Most of the time it is people being run through hard mode dungeons. Also you have to know where to look for the groups as well. I imagine you could find people to run Slaver's Exile and also look for the challenge missions, I've seen pugs for that. I usually just run with a friend of mine, sometimes we pick up 1 or 2 more people and then fill out the rest of the group with heros. I haven't come accross anything that we couldn't complete. See if you can find someone to pair up with, personally I would rather do that than pug all 8 players. Anyway, you're right it is harder to pug nowadays but it is also a 4 year old game, that is going to happen (just like it happens to all the other games around). I do think out of all the mmo's this game would be the easiest to pick up and play at a later date, all the rest of the games you have to catch up gear wise (or skill point wise such as in EVE).

There's no comparison between how easy PUG-ing used to be and how easy it is now. In the past it was so much easier. People rarely used henchmen. I also disagree about the game's age being the factor in less people PUG-ing...heroes are to blame for that. 

I hate heroes. They were a bad move. They've largely removed the multiplayer aspect from Guild Wars as people are simply too stuck on heroes to get back into grouping with other players.