Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Minimum velocity?

JuJutsuJuJutsu Member Posts: 331

The latest in my series of n00b questions. I can start training Cloaking once I get a bit more money. The description for the prototype cloaking device says...

"This prototype of an advanced cloaking mechanism was one of the last major technological breakthroughs to come out of Crielere Labs. Although it does work it is not really a finished product and has some serious drawbacks, most notably the fact that the module creates high sensor disruption while fitted and can not operate unless at minimum velocity."

What is 'minimum velocity'? 1 meter/second? How does one select 'minimum velocity'?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Comments

• Bloodrite2Bloodrite2 Member Posts: 17

it's just fluff text

look in the attributes section, it'll tell you how much it kills your speed.

for the prototype cloak it cuts your speed by 90%

EDIT: oh and be aware that it kills your scan resolution for alittle bit after you decloak meaning you'll take very long to target for alittle.

• XennithXennith Member Posts: 1,244

and in addition to that, when you decloak your sensors have to recalibrate themselves, so theres a delay before you can even start to lock anything.

• JuJutsuJuJutsu Member Posts: 331

Thanks much.

• TaramTaram Member CommonPosts: 1,700
    Originally posted by Bloodrite2

EDIT: oh and be aware that it kills your scan resolution for alittle bit after you decloak meaning you'll take very long to target for alittle.

Correction:

It has a recalibration delay which can be modified by your cloaking skill.  This causes you to be unable to even TRY to lock for X seconds after decloaking where X = Recal Delay Value * % modifier from your cloaking skill.

In addition to this delay it ALSO has a % impact to your Scan Resolution which is *always* in effect, even when not cloaked at all.  Even if you "offline" the module, in fact.  This causes you to have dramatically longer time to lock any target.  (The only cloak which does not is the covert ops cloaking device which is only useable on a few specific ships in the game).

The above having been said the cloaking device is a decent module to fit on ships in certain situations.  It's *not* a module you should fit all the time or on every ship.

"A ship-of-war is the best ambassador." - Oliver Cromwell

• JuJutsuJuJutsu Member Posts: 331

Thanks Taram. After an evening of noodling around with the prototype I've concluded that I should've saved my money for the 'good' one. I want to eventually be able to use the Caldari covert ops frigate for exploration [both in the generic sense and the EVE specific sense]. I thought that playing around with the 'entry level' cloak would help me learn the ropes. I'm not sure what situation the prototype is good for but I'm not sure it helps prpare me for how the high end version works.

It did clarify something for me that I hadn't realized before [its embarassing but remember I'm a n00b]. I was thinking about a test drive into a nearby low security system. I should be able to cloak upon entry because the gates seem to dump me out more than 2 kilomeers away. However if I dock at the station that I wanted to visit, I'll be a sitting duck when I leave the station because the station is close when I undock and a 90% speed reduction means it takes a bit to get far enough away to activate the cloak...

/facepalm

I guess that answers a question I was wondering about, what to do with the other 2 character slots...1 of them looks like a set of disposable eyes to see who & what might be lurking outside of stations.

• TaramTaram Member CommonPosts: 1,700
    Originally posted by JuJutsu

Thanks Taram. After an evening of noodling around with the prototype I've concluded that I should've saved my money for the 'good' one. I want to eventually be able to use the Caldari covert ops frigate for exploration [both in the generic sense and the EVE specific sense]. I thought that playing around with the 'entry level' cloak would help me learn the ropes. I'm not sure what situation the prototype is good for but I'm not sure it helps prpare me for how the high end version works.
    It did clarify something for me that I hadn't realized before [its embarassing but remember I'm a n00b]. I was thinking about a test drive into a nearby low security system. I should be able to cloak upon entry because the gates seem to dump me out more than 2 kilomeers away. However if I dock at the station that I wanted to visit, I'll be a sitting duck when I leave the station because the station is close when I undock and a 90% speed reduction means it takes a bit to get far enough away to activate the cloak...
    /facepalm
    I guess that answers a question I was wondering about, what to do with the other 2 character slots...1 of them looks like a set of disposable eyes to see who & what might be lurking outside of stations.

Actually the speed reduction is only in effect while you are actually cloaked.  But yes, you're a sitting duck when you undock.  However, unless you go to 0.0, a frigate aligns fast enough that it's not a huge issue when undocking.  Just make sure to hit CTRL-Space when you undock and wait for your ship to slow down before warping away.  This way badguys can't pop you while you align.  Aligning from a full stop is much faster than aligning while at speed, especially undock speed.

"A ship-of-war is the best ambassador." - Oliver Cromwell