Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Out of the blue, found my new MMO home, and it's....

markyturnipmarkyturnip Member UncommonPosts: 837

EDIT" They moved this thread... seems a bit weird here, but there you are. EDIT

Chronicles of Spellborn!

What a pleasant surprise this game has turned out to be.

Fun story, superb combat, nice graphics, fresh classes, entertaining pvp, interesting locations... and no gear grind!!!

All in all, this low-key indie hit seriously gives the big boys a run for their money, and I have a very good feeling about this one.

Just thought I'd share. I had no idea it was even coming till a month or so ago, and I have been genuinely surprised by its quality... it's a real under-the-radar grower.

Comments

• DibdabsDibdabs Member RarePosts: 3,203

I'm downloading it now, but at the rate it's going I could be dead before it finishes.

• ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476

This game is a Diamond in the rough and has alot of potential.

" Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
  • LynxJSALynxJSA Member RarePosts: 3,332

Download and patch times of the past year ot two of games has been ridiculous. I wish they would do what WOW does with their trial - download enough to get you into the xstarter area and then download the rest while you are playing.

-- Whammy - a 64x64 miniRPG 
    RPG Quiz - can you get all 25 right? 
    FPS Quiz - how well do you know your shooters?  
  • Death1942Death1942 Member UncommonPosts: 2,587

I like your enthusiasm but i have not seen very good reviews on this site so far.  Granted you can't judge a game fully until you have played it yourself but the number of negative reviews vs positive ones seems to indicate something might not appeal to quite a few people.

On the plus side i have heard nothing but positive views on the combat system (even in really negative reviews) so i guess they got that right.

MMO wish list:

-Changeable worlds
    -Solid non level based game
    -Sharks with lasers attached to their heads

• WolfenprideWolfenpride Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,988

The game is alright, im playing it personally until Aion comes out.

A few things about the game irritate me, but its something different to play for a change, and still rather fun at times.

• clwoodsclwoods Member Posts: 625

I didn't enjoy the game personally, but, as a person who is in mmo limbo I'm always happy to hear someone find a game they enjoy.  Especially in the, what I consider to be, currently weak market of MMO's.

• LydonLydon Member UncommonPosts: 2,938

I was in closed beta and played the European trial when it was released there. All in all I love the game. The world is beautiful and creative, the soundtrack is amazing, it's very atmospheric, the story, whilst not necessarily amazing, is more than adequet and the combat system rocks!

Half of the negative reviews are most likely from people that have either never played the game or people who are angry at the devs for some reason and as a result refuse to give it a proper chance.

• AganazerAganazer Member Posts: 1,319
    Originally posted by Death1942

I like your enthusiasm but i have not seen very good reviews on this site so far.  Granted you can't judge a game fully until you have played it yourself but the number of negative reviews vs positive ones seems to indicate something might not appeal to quite a few people.

On the plus side i have heard nothing but positive views on the combat system (even in really negative reviews) so i guess they got that right.

Dude, its rated number 2 on MMORPG.com. What are you expecting?

I am a fan of this game. I love the combat system that requires player skill. What I have come to realize after playing for a month is that the strongest point of the game isn't even the combat system, its the quest writing. The quests (or at least the ones after the first two zones!) are as engaging as a good fantasy novel. The game is best played with patience and time to read everything. I know doing this is a stretch for your average MMOG player, but you'd only be playing half the game by not reading all the quests.

Between the shardships and their role in naval battles, the interaction between the high houses, and the archeology of the civilization before the sundering of the planet, its a great setting for stories.

• markyturnipmarkyturnip Member UncommonPosts: 837

Exactly right.

To enjoy this game you need to slow down and read the story.

But the combat really is very good.

• BhagpussBhagpuss Member Posts: 58
    Originally posted by Lydon

I was in closed beta and played the European trial when it was released there. All in all I love the game. The world is beautiful and creative, the soundtrack is amazing, it's very atmospheric, the story, whilst not necessarily amazing, is more than adequet and the combat system rocks!

Half of the negative reviews are most likely from people that have either never played the game or people who are angry at the devs for some reason and as a result refuse to give it a proper chance.

I knew nothing about TCoS, really. I tried it recently and found it to be the dullest MMO I can remember playing. It looks fantastic, made for taking screenshots, but everything else just seemed so uninspired. The milieu and storyline were particularly hackneyed, I thought. The quest text was, almost without exception, as dry and functional as a toaster manual.

The combat was identical to normal MMO combat, except for the irritating gimmick of "targetting" and having to provide your own manual version of auto-attack. Couldn't see what benefit that added, any more than it used to be more enjoyable to tune a radio station in with a rotating dial than use pre-sets.

The worst part though, and the aspect of TCoS design that made me abandon it with the shortest played time of any MMO I have ever tried, was the "start looking just the same as you'll look later" gimmick. Dressing the character isn't the sauce of MMOs for me, it's the meat and most of the potatoes too, so as soon as I realised there really were no drops that affected looks, only "power-ups", that was the door slamming behind me.

Good luck to everyone that does enjoy it, though. There's certainly no shortage of choice in MMOland these days, so we all ought to be able to find something to suit each of us.

Originally posted by Bhagpuss

I knew nothing about TCoS, really. I tried it recently and found it to be the dullest MMO I can remember playing. It looks fantastic, made for taking screenshots, but everything else just seemed so uninspired. The milieu and storyline were particularly hackneyed, I thought. The quest text was, almost without exception, as dry and functional as a toaster manual.
    The combat was identical to normal MMO combat, except for the irritating gimmick of "targetting" and having to provide your own manual version of auto-attack. Couldn't see what benefit that added, any more than it used to be more enjoyable to tune a radio station in with a rotating dial than use pre-sets.
    The worst part though, and the aspect of TCoS design that made me abandon it with the shortest played time of any MMO I have ever tried, was the "start looking just the same as you'll look later" gimmick. Dressing the character isn't the sauce of MMOs for me, it's the meat and most of the potatoes too, so as soon as I realised there really were no drops that affected looks, only "power-ups", that was the door slamming behind me.
    Good luck to everyone that does enjoy it, though. There's certainly no shortage of choice in MMOland these days, so we all ought to be able to find something to suit each of us.

This post is a perfect example of the kind of misrepresentation of the game that I see all too often. If Bhagpuss didn't openly admit that he only played it a few minutes then I would feel the need to respond to each and every comment he made because nearly every one is simply incorrect. His post makes about as much sense as a player who quits WoW because there is no raid content, or a player who quits CoH because there is no way to customize your character.

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,959
    Originally posted by Aganazer

This post is a perfect example of the kind of misrepresentation of the game that I see all too often. If Bhagpuss didn't openly admit that he only played it a few minutes then I would feel the need to respond to each and every comment he made because nearly every one is simply incorrect. His post makes about as much sense as a player who quits WoW because there is no raid content, or a player who quits CoH because there is no way to customize your character.

QFT! In fact. His post was so full of nonsense and lies making me believe he didn't even try to play the game beyond the character select screen.

Cheers

• jybgessjybgess Member Posts: 355

I feel the same way as Bhagpuss feels and Ive played the game for some time now (closed beta through release). Everyone has there own opinion and thats great. I feel the game is stale and not very entertaining. If you enjoy the game then great. I'm still looking for the right game for me. Crosses fingers for Fallen Earth

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,959

That is the whole problem.

These forums have been completely infested by trolls and haters. People that do nothing else then spend 24/7 bashing games and companies, insulting other players and posting lies and nonsense as their newfound hobby.

It has become nearly impossible to find a good and unbiased review these days...

... that the only good review you can get is just simply try the game for yourself and find out yourself.

It's the best review you can get!

Cheers

• VyethVyeth Member UncommonPosts: 1,461

I like it, but I feel that it needs more features to keep me playing. I am looking into darkfall (just for the conflict), but should the world of TCoS become much more involved and PvP combat becomes something that actually MEANs something I will remain playing.

As of now, I am playing this (alot) until I either decide to (or am able to) buy darkfall and try it out, or until mortal online comes out which may be exactly what I am looking for.

But TCoS has a very bright future if it can get the ball rolling with features soon. The combat system and quests will only hold me for so long before I need another reason to play. The storyline is good but it is still becoming a bit monotonous.

• WrenderWrender Member Posts: 1,386
    Originally posted by markyturnip

Chronicles of Spellborn!
    What a pleasant surprise this game has turned out to be.
    Fun story, superb combat, nice graphics, fresh classes, entertaining pvp, interesting locations... and no gear grind!!!
    All in all, this low-key indie hit seriously gives the big boys a run for their money, and I have a very good feeling about this one.
    Just thought I'd share. I had no idea it was even coming till a month or so ago, and I have been genuinely surprised by its quality... it's a real under-the-radar grower.

OMG I thought you was gonna say Vanguard for sure. How sad . I have found mine , and I was about to quit MMO's for good after realizing that no current new MMO is gonna be worth a crap. Vanguard is......ugh...for lack of a better word ...Awesome!

Check em out>>

www.youtube.com/watch?v=GE3MZf6q7Bk 

www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuB1Yt4KUaU&fmt=22

www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Ji-9y2iVYQ&feature=related

Good luck with TCoS. I played it ... couldnt get used to the stick figure characters and hazy graphics...

• AntariousAntarious Member UncommonPosts: 2,834
    Originally posted by Guillermo197

That is the whole problem.

These forums have been completely infested by trolls and haters. People that do nothing else then spend 24/7 bashing games and companies, insulting other players and posting lies and nonsense as their newfound hobby.

It has become nearly impossible to find a good and unbiased review these days...

... that the only good review you can get is just simply try the game for yourself and find out yourself.

It's the best review you can get!

Cheers

The site has become kind of like a wider version of the DAoC VN forums... and anyone who played DAoC and enjoyed the lovely "VN" should know what I mean.

It used to be pretty confined to one paticular forum (that I spent more time on than I should have).  Then it started to spread...

What really brought my attention to what was happening here was when games from companies I never heard of (didn't really care about).  Which were not even in a public testing phase were dominating the new post section... with one flaming troll post after the other.

So yes as this poster says I wouuldn't base anything on what is written on this site.

Well some people give honest opinions.  Its rather easy to tell just by how they word it... "I didn't like this because (insert something that sounds like a good personal reason)."  It just gets to be to much to weed through the endless amount of BS to find those posts.  People can post honest personal reasons you might not agree with (that's why its subjective).

In the end if something interest you the only opinion that matters is your own.....

• DeeweDeewe Member UncommonPosts: 1,980

I had my share of MMO and spellborn is really refreshing.

The combat system is one of the best I saw so far, it's both strategic, fast paced and dynamic. I think it gets the best of both FPS and classic MMO combat game play. Even better you only need up to 6 key to acess to all your special skills with the deck system.

As example you can shoot an arrow while moving. I find it a huge improvement over others MMO.

Contrary to all others MMO it's not the best geared player that wins but the most skilled and mobs are tough and aggro a lot.

They don't watch you killing their mate waiting for their turn to come.

Character customization is nice but even better stats aren't tied to your equipment so dress like you want. For once it's really YOUR choice.

If I compare this game to WoW it's adressing most if not all it's issues. Also it's a very friendly game for players that are new to MMO.

The only drawback I have is the key binding system. You can't rebind the mouse weel button nor bind key combinations like CTRL+1.

Oh and I forgot there is an autoloot system. All lool automatically pops in a neat window and stacks until all players choosed need or greed. Call me lazy but I hate clicking on mobs to loot them, pure waste of time.

• JosherJosher Member Posts: 2,818

After a few hours, it just become really boring.  At level 4 I was easily killing 2 level 8 mobs at once.  I felt like I was exploiting, since I was getting so much more experience just killing mobs compared to the quests, which were NOT interesting at all.  The combat wheel although intuitve and different, eventually become tedious to use instead of fun.  The starter zones were really uninspiring and the respawn rate of the mobs wasn't tuned at all.  The EXP rewards for quests wasn't tuned either.  The races were drab.  Gear meaning nothing removed a huge portion of what makes an RPG an RPG, stats.  So there was no reason left to play, besides supposedly BETTER quests later on.  There is no LATER ON.  Its either fun right now or its not fun at all.   I did like the style of the maps.

The art and animation was OK, and maybe the game does get better later, but I've long since given up the concept of giving games a "chance".  Their chance is the first hour.  If that doesn't do it, I have better things to do.  The tutorial also insulted my intelligence asking me to use WASD or gather hay stacks.  Are you kidding me with this=)  A big SKIP button should've been plastered on the screen the whole time.  Also, why was I floating in space with chasms everywhere?  The world although whacky and different, made no sense at all.  Was there anything around to inform me of why the world was the way it was?

• BwanaKuuBwanaKuu Member Posts: 146

This game runs absolutely horribly on my system.  It seems that if you have a better system, it runs worse.   The forums have a few threads talking about this.  I like the game otherwise, but the performance killed it for me.

• LydonLydon Member UncommonPosts: 2,938
    Originally posted by Wrender 
    OMG I thought you was gonna say Vanguard for sure. How sad . I have found mine , and I was about to quit MMO's for good after realizing that no current new MMO is gonna be worth a crap. Vanguard is......ugh...for lack of a better word ...Awesome!
    Check em out>>
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=GE3MZf6q7Bk 
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuB1Yt4KUaU&fmt=22

www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Ji-9y2iVYQ&feature=related
    Good luck with TCoS. I played it ... couldnt get used to the stick figure characters and hazy graphics...

Vanguard promised so much...but it hardly delivered on anything. The world is big, it's beautiful and the soundtrack is pretty good. But apart from that, it really isn't anything special at all. It felt like a second attempt at EverQuest II, but a bad one. The graphics, animation etc, for example, all look very EverQuest II-esque, but require far more resources in order to run as smoothly as the former. The game, despite having most of the bugs apparently fixed, was so buggy I stopped playing because of it (this was at the end of last year). I had countless issues followed by random complete slowdowns that made my play experience a horrible one. And then we have the story, the combat, the professions etc. and none of them are anything to write home about either. It really and truly felt like a terrible version of EverQuest II, as I've said, which is a pity as I was looking so forward to playing it.

In the end I couldn't get past the total lack of polish and lack of anything remotely original.

• jimsmith08jimsmith08 Member Posts: 1,039

Originally posted by Lydon

im guessing you got to..level 4? by those 2 statements

Originally posted by Josher

Its either fun right now or its not fun at all.
    Their chance is the first hour.

Those with short attention spans will not like this game. Much like a good novel, it takes patience. Its not like you're gonna save the world in the first chapter of a good book. It takes time to develop. In fact, in almost any book I have read it can take hours just to get through the prologue. But unfortunately the vast majority of people I know would fall asleep during the first 10 minutes of even the best books.

I don't mean for that to come across in a bad way. Even my best friend had a similar opinion. I am trying to further develop what type of person may like this game and what type of person may not like this game. Its a niche game, and a relatively unique niche at that.

• Originally posted by Josher

After a few hours, it just become really boring.  At level 4 I was easily killing 2 level 8 mobs at once.  I felt like I was exploiting, since I was getting so much more experience just killing mobs compared to the quests, which were NOT interesting at all.  The combat wheel although intuitve and different, eventually become tedious to use instead of fun.  The starter zones were really uninspiring and the respawn rate of the mobs wasn't tuned at all.  The EXP rewards for quests wasn't tuned either.  The races were drab.  Gear meaning nothing removed a huge portion of what makes an RPG an RPG, stats.  So there was no reason left to play, besides supposedly BETTER quests later on.  There is no LATER ON.  Its either fun right now or its not fun at all.   I did like the style of the maps.

The art and animation was OK, and maybe the game does get better later, but I've long since given up the concept of giving games a "chance".  Their chance is the first hour.  If that doesn't do it, I have better things to do.  The tutorial also insulted my intelligence asking me to use WASD or gather hay stacks.  Are you kidding me with this=)  A big SKIP button should've been plastered on the screen the whole time.  Also, why was I floating in space with chasms everywhere?  The world although whacky and different, made no sense at all.  Was there anything around to inform me of why the world was the way it was?

I may be feeding a troll here, a one-hour attention limited troll :) but just in case I am not, and for anyone else trying this game, DO trial the game at least until you have joined a House and have pursued some of the House quest lines. If they, or the complexity to combat that comes with the skills you get at 10 and 11, do not "grab" you then yes, it is time to hit uninstall and spend your time elsewhere.

I disagree with most of the opinions here, especially that removing the emphasis on gear means that Spellborn is somehow less of an RPG. Josher, do you even know what RPG stands for? And did you understand about Sigils? Did you understand about PeP? The stats, and the boosts to them earnt through rewards for questing sucessfully, are there, they are just not in your face at level 3.

• Koen83Koen83 Member UncommonPosts: 66

Originally posted by Josher

Its either fun right now or its not fun at all.
    Their chance is the first hour.

Those with short attention spans will not like this game. Much like a good novel, it takes patience. Its not like you're gonna save the world in the first chapter of a good book. It takes time to develop. In fact, in almost any book I have read it can take hours just to get through the prologue. But unfortunately the vast majority of people I know would fall asleep during the first 10 minutes of even the best books.

I don't mean for that to come across in a bad way. Even my best friend had a similar opinion. I am trying to further develop what type of person may like this game and what type of person may not like this game. Its a niche game, and a relatively unique niche at that.

The kind of person who likes this game is someone who would enjoy the flavor of a fine wine and would savor that  flavor and aroma. The person who would not like this game is one who would like to chug Ripple or to tube drink a Pabst blue ribbon beer.

There is your answer.