Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Martin Fury incident(one shot all Bosses)

WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806

If this isn't a Hoax, I'm betting that a GM/Dev is now looking for another job.   This is from WoWinsider, so you might want to check it before it gets removed.  It seems that a toon called Karatechop(account now perma banned) was mailed  one of those to this point mythical items.  How/Why this happened, no one is certain at this point.  Any way, check it out here.

http://tinyurl.com/cwouru

http://www.wowinsider.com/2009/04/29/player-receives-developer-item-in-the-mail-one-shots-ulduar/

Better?

Update. Here is an interview with KarateChop.

http://www.wowinsider.com/2009/04/30/the-martin-fury-scandal-karatechop-reveals-all/

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."

Comments

• miagisanmiagisan Member Posts: 5,156

i never click on anything that starts with tinyurl

• ThradarThradar Member Posts: 949

Another WoW player who isn't playing the game for fun...but as some sort of medium to impress people.  Any rational person would know that they would get bused using such an item in a way he did...massacring raid bosses.  Farming trash for gold?  Probably not.  But his ego and greed got the better of him.

That pretty much sums up WoW.

"And you didn't consider this cheating or worry that a GM might notice? You didn't worry you might get into trouble?

No, it came from Blizzard. We were laughing about it. After killing Ignis we went out and reset the raid to heroic. We went back in and killed Flame Leviathan"

Wow...just wow.  Yeah, I'm sure giving people and item like this is commonplace.  What a gomer.  LOL!

• AlandoraAlandora Member Posts: 337

Exploit = using a bug or unintentional error and using that error to profit in the game.

A GM accidently sent his guildmate the item.  The guildmate then gave him the item,  he (as the guilds tank) then used that item to clear the hardest raid in the game(on hard mode) by one-shotting every boss.   In the process, his guild acquired all the items from that run, as well as earned many bonus things like achievements and the rewards that go with them.

The entire guild who ran the raid with him had their accounts banned.  After seeing your tank 1-shot the first boss without taking any damage, it should have been an indication that something wrong was happending.

Just because Blizzard puts a bug in the code, doesn't mean players can exploit that bug..  Just because a GM had a typo in a mail they sent, doesn't mean an entire guild can exploit that typo.

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806
    Originally posted by Alandora

Exploit = using a bug or unintentional error and using that error to profit in the game.
    A GM accidently sent his guildmate the item.  The guildmate then gave him the item,  he (as the guilds tank) then used that item to clear the hardest raid in the game(on hard mode) by one-shotting every boss.   In the process, his guild acquired all the items from that run, as well as earned many bonus things like achievements and the rewards that go with them.
    The entire guild who ran the raid with him had their accounts banned.  After seeing your tank 1-shot the first boss without taking any damage, it should have been an indication that something wrong was happending.
    Just because Blizzard puts a bug in the code, doesn't mean players can exploit that bug..  Just because a GM had a typo in a mail they sent, doesn't mean an entire guild can exploit that typo.

Exactly. I'd have treated that as if it was highly radioactive. It would have been sent back without me touching it. I have more than four and a half years invested in my account. There is no way in hell I'm risking that.

• jakojakojakojako Member Posts: 332
    Originally posted by Thradar

Another WoW player who isn't playing the game for fun...but as some sort of medium to impress people.  Any rational person would know that they would get bused using such an item in a way he did...massacring raid bosses.  Farming trash for gold?  Probably not.  But his ego and greed got the better of him.

You're telling me that 1-shotting every heroic boss on the hardest dungeon in the game (as of now) isn't fun?

You're telling me that running around stormwind, 1-shotting everything and everyone around you isn't fun?

Idk, if I had that shirt, i'd definately have a ton of fun

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by Alandora

I agree. Any normal player would react in this situation and at least logg off or tell the guys to stop cheating.

They deserved being banned, I would leave any guild that was cheating no matter what the game and situation (well, not if it was a beta test, then I would report in everything since one of the points of betas is to find exploits and cheats and fix them).

• AntipathyAntipathy Member UncommonPosts: 1,362

The title was both misleading and sensationalist. Does the OP work as a journalist? Did he actually bother to read the interviews he linked to?

He most certainly didn't one-shot all bosses. Indeed - he only used the item a total of 14 times, and he claims to have deliberately avoided using it against the later bosses in Ulduar. 

Originally posted by Loke666

I agree. Any normal player would react in this situation and at least logg off or tell the guys to stop cheating.
    They deserved being banned, I would leave any guild that was cheating no matter what the game and situation (well, not if it was a beta test, then I would report in everything since one of the points of betas is to find exploits and cheats and fix them).

Easy to sound self-righteous. But consider:

- All members of the guild were banned. Including players who had never been on a raid.

- According to the interview even many of the raiders didn't know about the cheat until it was used. By which time they had "cheated", and it was too late to do anything about it. Should these people be banned?

IMO, the only people who deserve bans are the officers of the guild, and anyone who was present for more than one use of the item.

• ElGuappoElGuappo Member Posts: 94

They're handing out week long bans on the forums for starting threads on it?

http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.html?topicId=16903572192&postId=169019812376&sid=1#0

So, nice to know Blizzard don't go in for the kind of knee-jerk, inflammatory responses that would turn this incident from a molehill into a mountain. Why couldn't this have been acknowledged as an error, LOL-ed about and allowed to go down in WoW lore?

The ruptured capillaries in your nose belie the clarity of your wisdom.

Originally posted by Antipathy

The title was both misleading and sensationalist. Does the OP work as a journalist? Did he actually bother to read the interviews he linked to?

He most certainly didn't one-shot all bosses. Indeed - he only used the item a total of 14 times, and he claims to have deliberately avoided using it against the later bosses in Ulduar. 

Chuckle... Do you perhaps work in politics? Those are the people who normally howl like that about titles...   No, he didn't. But if you'd been paying attention, the artifact in question CAN one shot ANYTHING(of which all Bosses are a subset).  "Only" 14 times? WoW! Now thats "restraint"...<rolls eyes>. How about zero? Thats how many times I'd have used it.  That also happens to be the number of times, anyone who wants to keep their years long account would have used it.

Originally posted by ElGuappo

http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.html?topicId=16903572192&postId=169019812376&sid=1#0
    So, nice to know Blizzard don't go in for the kind of knee-jerk, inflammatory responses that would turn this incident from a molehill into a mountain. Why couldn't this have been acknowledged as an error, LOL-ed about and allowed to go down in WoW lore?

Because Blizzard is Blizzard. They typically take a heavy handed approach to matters. They've always been like that, and likely always will be. Just the nature of the Beast(shrug).

Originally posted by Wraithone

Chuckle... Do you perhaps work in politics? Those are the people who normally howl like that about titles...

Nope - it's quite clear you're the one who works in politics. I mention your mistake and suddenly you're aiming flak at me? Only a politician would do that!

Chuckle... Do you perhaps work in politics? Those are the people who normally howl like that about titles...

Nope - it's quite clear you're the one who works in politics. I mention your mistake and suddenly you're aiming flak at me? Only a politician would do that!

Me thinks thou does protest overmuch... You do seem rather fond of over generalization.  The "flak" came in response to your first paragraph...Thus you started it.  Be that as it may, that wasn't a mistake. It was clearly possible, due to the nature of the artifact in question. I posted it here because it was interesting and entertaining to me. If its not to you, what are we arguing about?

Me thinks thou does protest overmuch... You do seem rather fond of over generalization.  The "flak" came in response to your first paragraph...Thus you started it.  Be that as it may, that wasn't a mistake. It was clearly possible, due to the nature of the artifact in question. I posted it here because it was interesting and entertaining to me. If its not to you, what are we arguing about?

Me fond of generalization - this all started from your generalization!

And can you really not see the difference between "this is possible" and "this happened"?

What actually happened was interesting. That's why I read the articles. But really - there's no reason to descend to the level of the gutter press and bury the truth in exaggeration and hyperbola.

And can you really not see the difference between "this is possible" and "this happened"?

What actually happened was interesting. That's why I read the articles. But really - there's no reason to descend to the level of the gutter press and bury the truth in exaggeration and hyperbola.

This grows ever more entertaining... You do realize that the purpose of a title is to attract attention?  Read the title again. Did it state that One shot all Bosses had happened?  You are reading far more in to it than is necessary. Do you dispute that one shoting all Bosses is possible with that artifact? Will we next be arguing how many angels can dance upon the head of a pin?

• AlandoraAlandora Member Posts: 337

This grows ever more entertaining... You do realize that the purpose of a title is to attract attention?  Read the title again. Did it state that One shot all Bosses had happened?  You are reading far more in to it than is necessary. Do you dispute that one shoting all Bosses is possible with that artifact? Will we next be arguing how many angels can dance upon the head of a pin?

Just to point out that this was a guild that hadn't even cleared Naxx25 yet.   then they jump and get all the loot (fully distributed to all the raid members) from the heroic hard modes of all of Ulduar.

Blizzard banned the entire guild until they could sort it out (short term ban), then they went back and reinstated all the guildmembers who weren't on that guild run.   It is very probably that only the one guy will receive a perma-band, and the people who just got items from the run will have the item removed and probably a short ban.

• BrianshoBriansho Member UncommonPosts: 3,586
    Originally posted by ElGuappo

When Blizzard gets embarrassed, they ban. Instead of removing the items and explaining why they shouldn't have them they give them instant publicity and notoriety. Ban first, investigate never.

Don't be terrorized! You're more likely to die of a car accident, drowning, fire, or murder! More people die every year from prescription drugs than terrorism LOL!

• wesjrwesjr Member UncommonPosts: 506

Does anyone see the irony in this and their guild name???

Marvel Quote:

WITH GREAT POWER THERE MUST ALSO COME - - GREAT RESPONSIBILITY!