Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anyone else feel like something is missing from MMO's these days?

2»

Comments

• altairzqaltairzq Member Posts: 3,811

Probably it's a combination of two things:

1) MMOs now are Theme Parks. This we have been discussing in the forms for years so I won't go into it.

2) This is my new idea: Years ago internet and multiplayer was a new possiblity that captured our minds in a very strong way. That lead to "nerdy" behaviours like you mention. But nowadays, people just see the multiplayer as one more thing that is cool but not life changing really. Except EVE players that still are into conspiracies and stuff like that. But most people, if they get scammed, they will shrug it off, or at most report it. But they won't spend weeks trying a revenge, because... and MMO is not anymore an alternate reality, it's just one more game, which relates to number 1).

• PyrostasisPyrostasis Member UncommonPosts: 2,293

I think you may have something there, it is I guess what you call "Nerdy" behavior... or roleplaying... or taking the game seriously, or however you want to think about it.

Back in the day if someone wronged you, then you did something about it in game. It wasnt a GM issue, and back then game mechanics definitely worked well towards player governed or self policing. I hope we see some games with this type of atmosphere and hopefully we can get some players that feel the same way into said game.