Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Vangaurd revival

Over the past couple of weeks and months for that matter, i have seen numerous people interested in resubbing their accounts for Vangaurd or even starting new accounts. I encourage it. Vangaurd has drastically changed from its abyssmal launhc into a very good mmo that is worthy of a renewed interest. As players we should embrace this and atleast try it out using the new 14 day free trial.  All i am saying is try it and with the new spark of interest maybe a few more devs will be added to help with the making of new content. Then perhaps we could have one of the greatest mmo comebacks.

Comments

• XeonsoldierXeonsoldier Member Posts: 190
    Originally posted by Krazywar

Over the past couple of weeks and months for that matter, i have seen numerous people interested in resubbing their accounts for Vangaurd or even starting new accounts. I encourage it. Vangaurd has drastically changed from its abyssmal launhc into a very good mmo that is worthy of a renewed interest. As players we should embrace this and atleast try it out using the new 14 day free trial.  All i am saying is try it and with the new spark of interest maybe a few more devs will be added to help with the making of new content. Then perhaps we could have one of the greatest mmo comebacks.

I swear the PotA hype is going to kill this game...

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Well, dont expect it to go fast however.

SOE do need to put a lot of more resources in it but it is pretty fun and if the player starts to rise they just might do that.

• ShojuShoju Member UncommonPosts: 776

It is sort of depressing that even after this long, Vanguard players still haven't accepted that their game is essentially on life support and only being used as padding for SOE's Station Access Pass. MMO's get one shot for any sort of success, and Vanguard's was pretty much blown before the game even launched.

• cukimungacukimunga Member UncommonPosts: 2,258
    Originally posted by Shoju

It is sort of depressing that even after this long, Vanguard players still haven't accepted that their game is essentially on life support and only being used as padding for SOE's Station Access Pass. MMO's get one shot for any sort of success, and Vanguard's was pretty much blown before the game even launched.

Ehh I think it could have a chance to come back, if people quit listening to everyone else and try the game for themselves.   Anything could happen, we never thought WoW could be so successful . So why can't a game that failed at launch make a comeback and be recognized as a great game?

IMHO VG is the best PvE game out there right now, I haven't even logged into WoW since I subbed to VG 2 weeks ago.  I wish my cousins would just quit WoW and play a so much better game, but they have to much time invested into that game and they aren't willing to give it up.      

Id drop a lvl 80 with pimped gear anyday to play Vanguard.

• XeonsoldierXeonsoldier Member Posts: 190
    Originally posted by cukimunga

Ehh I think it could have a chance to come back, if people quit listening to everyone else and try the game for themselves.   Anything could happen, we never thought WoW could be so successful . So why can't a game that failed at launch make a comeback and be recognized as a great game?

IMHO VG is the best PvE game out there right now, I haven't even logged into WoW since I subbed to VG 2 weeks ago.  I wish my cousins would just quit WoW and play a so much better game, but they have to much time invested into that game and they aren't willing to give it up.      

Because if 2 years doesn't say anything then I'm not sure what will. if people only knew the history...if only

• ShojuShoju Member UncommonPosts: 776

• finglefingle Member Posts: 124

I Don't care about the history, I don't care what other people say, I don't even care if the community stays small, infact I kind of like it that way.

All I know is this..

I had all but given up on MMO's, I was bored and simply not having fun in any of the "sucessful" games out there. Since sampling the Vanguard trial and now the full game for a few weeks my old passion has been revived. Its fun, its hard, it keeps me coming back for more and thats all I need.

Let the trolls keep flaming away it keeps them outta our community, who needs such short sighted players anyway.

"And one and two and through and through his vorpal blade went snicker snack. He left it dead and with its head he went galumphing back.

"And hast thou slain the Jabbywock my son?"

"AYE!!" says Fingle""

• boojiboyboojiboy Member UncommonPosts: 1,553
    Originally posted by Xeonsoldier

Because if 2 years doesn't say anything then I'm not sure what will. if people only knew the history...if only

Who cares about history?  The launch was awful, but that is over 2 years ago.  For the past 7-9 months things have been going in the right direction.  VG may not be the type of game for everybody, but it is objectively a great PvE MMO... the best in my opinion.

Folks that don't play VG can swing by these boards all they want and try to persuade people not to play VG, but that is a waste a time since folks can try it for free and make up their own mind.

• hoozillahoozilla Member Posts: 10

I resubbed 2 months ago and it is hella fun.  I had played at release and lasted about a month maybe two, but it wasn't ready.  They have done an amazing job turning it around.  I would love to see more players, but more is not always better because the community that is out there now has been top notch. 

Even knowing that the game has a limited development staff I don't care.  I'm having fun and to me that is all that matters.  When I max my character and have played through all the content I might turn into one of the incredibly jaded and hostile people that seem to flame this game, but till then more VG for me!!

• krenalorkrenalor Member Posts: 214

Anything could happen, we never thought WoW could be so successful . So why can't a game that failed at launch make a comeback and be recognized as a great game?

I KNEW WoW was a hit and posted about it. Just the stupid EQ crowd was to dumb to see it. Vanguard flopped and no one wants to play, stop lying to people about any so called revival, it is NOT happening.

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945
    Originally posted by fingle

I Don't care about the history, I don't care what other people say, I don't even care if the community stays small, infact I kind of like it that way.
    All I know is this..
    I had all but given up on MMO's, I was bored and simply not having fun in any of the "sucessful" games out there. Since sampling the Vanguard trial and now the full game for a few weeks my old passion has been revived. Its fun, its hard, it keeps me coming back for more and thats all I need.
    Let the trolls keep flaming away it keeps them outta our community, who needs such short sighted players anyway.

No one is saying the game isn't fun or even great.  Yet saying all that matters is the right now is being a bit short sighted as you point others are being.

Honestly vanguard has always been as good as it is now.  The only major thing that has changed in over 2 years is the performance.  It isn't like the gameplay was terrible and somehow changed into something awesome by the hands of the developers.  That gameplay has always existed underneath the horrible performance. 

Focusing on the right now and having fun is fine and I don't dispute your current experiences.  In fact that was how I felt also. Yet at the same time it is likely that in another 2 years the game will have very little new content at the pace it is on.  2 years is a long time for a game to go without a major content update.  This game just is not getting the resources needed to make it healthy for the long term. 

Nothing short of soe sending out a message that the game will have some sort of future will revive this title.  Something like an expansion or some campaign to get lots of people starting at the same time to dispell myths that the game is empty. 

• chaosxschaosxs Member Posts: 34

Krenalor, you a complete beep.   Seriously, no onw knows if anything is a hit.  WoW was successfull cause all those people dont have souls.  Seriously, ive enjoyed wow, but ive enjoyed aloy of mmos.  What makes mmos suck is guys like you talking crap about everything and never tryed nething but wow.  Ive been in mmos since FF11.  I think seriously people need to go back to roots of mmos, becuase whats missing in current gen has to be something in oldschool.  Ive enjoyed vanguarde myself, all that shiniest armor and the combat was pretty cool. Kudos for the game.

• talismen351talismen351 Member Posts: 1,124
    Originally posted by krenalor

I KNEW WoW was a hit and posted about it. Just the stupid EQ crowd was to dumb to see it. Vanguard flopped and no one wants to play, stop lying to people about any so called revival, it is NOT happening.

You knew it would be a hit...but the stupid EQ crowd didn't see it? The stupid EQ game that WoW took many aspects offa? The stupid EQ crowd that helped usher in the MMO era? The stupid EQ crowd that was playing before you were done wetting your bed at night? The stupid EQ crowd,  that if not for that stupid crowd, your precious WoW probibly wouldn't have been made. It was that stupid EQ crowd that showed devs that MMOs could make money.

You are obviously just trolling a game you have no interest in...cause it is not WoW.

Vanguard is a very well done game now. I wasn't there at launch but I have spent a few months here n there with it. And have been considering comming back to the game. By far it is much better than WoW...especially the graphics.I doubt we will ever see a major revival of the game. SOE will be sure to screw any chance of that happening. But it would be nice to see a bit larger population. That has been the only drawback for me with this game...low population.

Originally posted by Daffid011

Honestly vanguard has always been as good as it is now.  The only major thing that has changed in over 2 years is the performance.  It isn't like the gameplay was terrible and somehow changed into something awesome by the hands of the developers. 

Umm what? 

I do agree that performance improvements have been huge and made a big difference in gameplay.  But the bug fixing has been enormous as well.  Nearly every class was broke at launch, most are completely fixed now and the remaining items are relatively minor, like the Psionicists spell stealing ability being individual instead of group.  At launch, the MAJORITY of quest lines were broke.  Now, you have to look pretty hard to find a broken quest.  At launch, most events were broken, now all are fixed with the exception of the Magic Abomination. 

Perhaps the biggest difference is the amount of new content that has been rolled out.  Ancient Port Warehouse being the first and then new mid-level adventuring areas, Shores of Darkness, the overland raid encounters, Bridge of Destiny, Isle of Gazamut etc.  Other content additions included the Tier 5 diplomacy quests, additional crafting quests, gear enhancement slots, the Griffon Quest line, Galleons, Isle of Dawn, etc. 

I think it's easy (or conveinent) for people to forget how stalled out this game was a year ago and how it's really picked up steam recently.  Once the developers worked out the majority of performance and bug fixes the switching of effort to content was very noticeable.  SoE picked up a broken MMO and have made significant investments and efforts to turn it around.

• morpinmorpin Member Posts: 360

Eve had an AWFUL launch and is now a very succseful game.

Here is an interesting link about the subject:

http://www.cesspit.net/drupal/node/869

People are also saying that this game is being held back becuase of the preceived size of the development team.  I say perceived because no one outside of SOE really knows how many people are working on it. 

It has been suggested that there wont be more developers if subscriptions dont not go up, and subscriptions will not go up if we dont get a faster pace of content.  I dont think this this true.  Beyond a handful of hardcore players,  people are not leaving the game because there is not enough new content  Instead the game never had a large population after the first few months becuase of the bad release.  Most people have not even seen half the content yet.

What we are now seeing is a steady increase of people that are rediscovering the game and have a posative opinion about it.  Why, because the developers concentrated on bug fixes rather than trying to introduce new content.  What I am hopingis that this momentum will build via word of mouth and we will eventually see an exponential growth in the sub numbers.

• COORSCOORS Member UncommonPosts: 353

I returned a week ago after reading a few posts similar to this and I'm very happy I did.

The game has really improved ten fold. Could now be the best pve mmo on the market. Definately worth another try. I had been gone for almost 2 years.

I highly recommend it.

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945
    Originally posted by boojiboy

Honestly vanguard has always been as good as it is now.  The only major thing that has changed in over 2 years is the performance.  It isn't like the gameplay was terrible and somehow changed into something awesome by the hands of the developers. 

Umm what? 

I do agree that performance improvements have been huge and made a big difference in gameplay.  But the bug fixing has been enormous as well.  Nearly every class was broke at launch, most are completely fixed now and the remaining items are relatively minor, like the Psionicists spell stealing ability being individual instead of group.  At launch, the MAJORITY of quest lines were broke.  Now, you have to look pretty hard to find a broken quest.  At launch, most events were broken, now all are fixed with the exception of the Magic Abomination. 

Perhaps the biggest difference is the amount of new content that has been rolled out.  Ancient Port Warehouse being the first and then new mid-level adventuring areas, Shores of Darkness, the overland raid encounters, Bridge of Destiny, Isle of Gazamut etc.  Other content additions included the Tier 5 diplomacy quests, additional crafting quests, gear enhancement slots, the Griffon Quest line, Galleons, Isle of Dawn, etc. 

I think it's easy (or conveinent) for people to forget how stalled out this game was a year ago and how it's really picked up steam recently.  Once the developers worked out the majority of performance and bug fixes the switching of effort to content was very noticeable.  SoE picked up a broken MMO and have made significant investments and efforts to turn it around.

My apologies, I tend to lump the performance and the other broken issues from release of the game into performance.  You are correct and what I should have been more clear about is that the game overall has improved as far as bugs, broken things, balance as well as performance, etc.  In most respects the game is much more playable than it was at release.

The content however I don't really agree with.  Ancient port warehouse, flying mounts, etc were primarily worked on by sigil and soe just finished it up/recycled much of sigils efforts.   Much of the rest is soe revamping zones and dropping in world spawn bosses that are fairly easy projects in comparison to creating brand new content.  Again, this isn't knocking what has been done as being something bad.  They can only canabalize so much of past efforts before they need to start creating from scratch. 

I guess it all comes down to what you consider significant investments to turn the game around.  I look at soe slashing the team down to a few people from 104 and their first actions upon buying the game was to move the best talent from vanguard to other projects as setting the stage for their commitment level.  Not that the remaining team has not done well all things considered.

Before most of this gets taken the wrong way, I think vanguard is one of the few games on the market that could possibly make a turn around.  However it will not happen from the efforts of fans doing a grass roots player drive.  It will take some sort of effort on behalf of soe to get a decent amount of players to all start at the same time.  This will dispell the "empty world" reputation the game has (true or not).  Gathering a bored player here or there and dumping them in an empty world doesn't help much.  Yes I know 1 server is doing well, but that still leaves 3 choices that players could make that will most likely reinforce the empty world reputation.

• morpinmorpin Member Posts: 360

Yes I know 1 server is doing well, but that still leaves 3 choices that players could make that will most likely reinforce the empty world reputation.

Both Seradon and Xeth are doing quite well.  I dont know how Halagar is doing.. and Sartok the PvP server.. well umm.. its not doing so hot.

• warppwarpp Member Posts: 258

I think the main reason SOE bought VG and don't put to much into it ,is because they know it would blow EQ2 out of the water. If SOE don't want the game then sell it to another dev team so they can work on it,but they wont because it would take many of their EQ2 subs.

Jah Rasta For I.
    The Wicked Shall Fall..

http://www.ethnic2020.com/images/Ebay/black-jesus.jpg

Umm what? 

My apologies, I tend to lump the performance and the other broken issues from release of the game into performance.  You are correct and what I should have been more clear about is that the game overall has improved as far as bugs, broken things, balance as well as performance, etc.  In most respects the game is much more playable than it was at release.

The content however I don't really agree with.  Ancient port warehouse, flying mounts, etc were primarily worked on by sigil and soe just finished it up/recycled much of sigils efforts.   Much of the rest is soe revamping zones and dropping in world spawn bosses that are fairly easy projects in comparison to creating brand new content.  Again, this isn't knocking what has been done as being something bad.  They can only canabalize so much of past efforts before they need to start creating from scratch. 

I guess it all comes down to what you consider significant investments to turn the game around.  I look at soe slashing the team down to a few people from 104 and their first actions upon buying the game was to move the best talent from vanguard to other projects as setting the stage for their commitment level.  Not that the remaining team has not done well all things considered.

Before most of this gets taken the wrong way, I think vanguard is one of the few games on the market that could possibly make a turn around.  However it will not happen from the efforts of fans doing a grass roots player drive.  It will take some sort of effort on behalf of soe to get a decent amount of players to all start at the same time.  This will dispell the "empty world" reputation the game has (true or not).  Gathering a bored player here or there and dumping them in an empty world doesn't help much.  Yes I know 1 server is doing well, but that still leaves 3 choices that players could make that will most likely reinforce the empty world reputation.

The other way to look at the content issue is in terms of frequency.  There was a very long stretch where there was almost no new content being developed for Vanguard.  But once the performance/bug issues were mostly fixed the devs could turn their attention to content.  And that is what I think has been great about the game in the past 6-8 months.

If they pull of PotA and the level cap, that'll mark the single biggest content update to date.  I would expect even more to follow, including AAs.

Seradon and Xeth are both very healthly.  Halgar has always been middle of the road population-wise and I think the PvP server is very low.

• OrphesOrphes Member UncommonPosts: 3,039

The other way to look at the content issue is in terms of frequency.  There was a very long stretch where there was almost no new content being developed for Vanguard.  But once the performance/bug issues were mostly fixed the devs could turn their attention to content.  And that is what I think has been great about the game in the past 6-8 months.

If they pull of PotA and the level cap, that'll mark the single biggest content update to date.  I would expect even more to follow, including AAs.

Seradon and Xeth are both very healthly.  Halgar has always been middle of the road population-wise and I think the PvP server is very low.

I do not constantly run into people on Halgar, uhm, actually I do that. Not at the obscure road from Old Targonar to whatever the Dwarfs hideout is named, but on those places and known quest areas. Enough with people to be able to join in on their questing.

I seldom go looking for group for a specific thing, but if it is ok to actually just group and play togheter without have a reason like a quest or something. Oh, then there are alot of groups going.

I can see this guy crafting and that guy doing nothing over there. But, no, and hopefully noone is asking for it either, there is no "Ironforge" here.

Sometimes in alot of games it feels like something like this:

-Are you on this quest?

-No.

-Are you on this quest?

-Yes.

-You want to group up?

Instead of:

-You want to group up?

-Shure.

I mean we are at the same area, doing the same thing, killing stuff.

I'm so broke. I can't even pay attention.
    "You have the right not to be killed"

• RokurgeptaRokurgepta Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,136
    Originally posted by krenalor

Anything could happen, we never thought WoW could be so successful . So why can't a game that failed at launch make a comeback and be recognized as a great game?

From your post I am guessing you were part of the EQ crowd.

• kakasakikakasaki Member UncommonPosts: 1,205

For what it is worth, I passed on Vanguard after the horrible release. Then about a month ago, finding myself with no MMO game to play (had just cancelled my WAR account) decided to give the Vanguard trial a try. Liked it so much, I subbed after the 14 days and I am still playing it and enjoying it. Don't know for how long, but for now, I'll keep playing.  

Now back to lurking....

A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true...

• TherapyTherapy Member Posts: 83

I have also recently canceled my WoW and EQ2 sub and saw that VG had a 14 day free trial so I decided to reinstall it and give it another shot. So far I have been enjoying it very much. My brother also recently rejoined onto VG so we both go out questing or should I say many Corpse runs. All I can say if you like PVE games maybe you should give VG another shot then make your own decision if you wish to continue to play or not.                                                                                                      .

• HoobleyHoobley Member Posts: 421

I just resubbed and I've got 2 hours left on the client download.

I got the trial for my wife and we're going to level together from the start. Assuming my wife likes it we'll upgrade her trial.

I've always had a soft spot for this game and I'm looking forward to getting back into it.