Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Has the bad community in WoW improved?

At release this game has got to have had the worst crowd of players. If someone askes a question in general chat they are slamed, if someone makes a mistake in any subject they are raked over the coals...the cursing, the sexual and racial slurs.

People down others like crazy, if the group wipes then usually the worst player is the one curseing and blaming others for the death. Even in a guild there can be things like ninja-ing

Blizzard has really made a great game, but in a rating of 1 to 10 in which the community is part of the criteria for a score the game would get a very low mark in my opinion.

Before you flame away, I didnt say all folks playing where this way, just most of them.

Game itself 9.5 game with community included 4.5

BUT has the community improved? I was in a PUG the other day and everyone knew how to play and no-one ninja-ed or said dumb stuff.

Comments

• DeadeXDeadeX Member Posts: 170

It depends really. I rarely run into a-holes when pugging and stuff

to be honest. I don't see why people say the community is so god

damn bad, i've experienced way worse in the majority of mmo's i've

played. But ofcourse, there will wlays be pople who thinks cursing

and [dirge] is cool... But it doesn't bother me too much, cause if it

did, i'd be having a bloody hard time enjoying mmo's. Just ingore

the typical stuff like 'The Barrens Chat' and the occasional a-hole

in your pug that points out every little mistake, that thinks he's the

ultimate pro, and there's really nothing to complain about.

Overall i'd say it hasn't improved. It was never that bad to begin wtih.

People tend to overreact when it comes to wow for various stupid reasons imo

• ThillianThillian Member UncommonPosts: 3,156

What's the difference between option "no" and "same" ?

REALITY CHECK

• MentatMentat Member UncommonPosts: 516

The community is iffy...

If you like more casual style gaming, immature community, not very skilled.... play alliance.

If you like more hardcore gaming, end game content and slightly more mature than alliance crowd... play horde

• ShadoedShadoed Member UncommonPosts: 1,459

Originally posted by dippyzippy
    Before you flame away, I didnt say all folks playing where this way, just most of them.

You condemn the majority of the community based on the actions of a few people?

It is a very small section of the comunity that treat the trade channel like their own personal forum, slate a person that asks a question or generally runs around making prats of themselves.

I don't think that the community as a whole has changed much at all, i have always found good people to play alongside, good people to chat with and good people to run with in dungeons and raids, but at the same time there have always been the small section of idiots too. Wow is not unique in this, i found the same in EvE, E&B, DaoC, AO and pretty much any MMO i have played.

In MMO's as in RL, there are people you will get along with and people you won't, it is up to you who you associate with.

It must be Thursday, i never could get the hang of Thursdays.

Originally posted by Mentat

The community is iffy...
    If you like more casual style gaming, immature community, not very skilled.... play alliance.
    If you like more hardcore gaming, end game content and slightly more mature than alliance crowd... play horde

You contradict yourself.

Casual community is the mature one. Hardcore pvp-ers and raiders are usually the kids.

REALITY CHECK

• tsuktstsukts Member Posts: 164

Darkfall community is way worse than WoW's.

• rymanryman Member Posts: 227
    Originally posted by Thillian

Originally posted by Mentat

The community is iffy...

You contradict yourself.

Casual community is the mature one. Hardcore pvp-ers and raiders are usually the kids.

Defining the term hardcore.. I would say the adults/mature people are the ones who can actually bring down the top bosses in the game. I personally don't see any alliance being able to take a complicated instance in a organized and strategic manner, because they are kids. If you define hardcore by the amount of hours played, then perhaps they are both somewhat guilty of being hardcore. If you want to go and define hardcore pvpers.. then it collides with the PvE side.. are these people playing PvP because they can't proceed higher in the PvE content? (ahem alliance?) or is it because they have so much time to play video games that they can do both? Or is it because they are so casual that they do not have the time to do a 3-4 hour raid..?

I define hardcore gaming to be on the horde side, and the lesser "I don't know how to do this because it's hard" kid attitude to be alliance, which does have a better chance of casuals.

Generally, the older you are, the less time you have to play games. Can we agree on that? And by defitnion, hardcore player is the one that spends a lot of hours in game.

REALITY CHECK

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945

If you think the warcraft community is so bad, you must not have a lot of mmo experience or just have very thin skin. 

There are so many games where I have seen players actively ruin the enjoyment of others to the point that it makes them quit playing all together and that is just the tip of the iceberg.  The level to which people cry about a handful of people being smart mouthed in global chat amazes me. Oh noes!  someone is telling chuck norris jokes again.  

There are plenty of sour people in every mmo just like there are plenty of great people to play with in every mmo. 

I suspect people who complain about the global chat are just as likely to be part of the problem and not realizing it. 

• coffeecoffee Member Posts: 2,007

Stupid thread, Stupid OP .. if you meet an italian and he punch you in he face would you believe all Itaians would do that?

Your obviously too mature for WoW pls go else where... or atleast stay off Grimbatol (EU).

• icytear83icytear83 Member Posts: 47

the community is bad, yes but from my experience its mostly in pvp servers where most of the players are seriously screwed in the heads with only a decent handful. In the pve servers i played tho, the community are generally much nicer.

• geekgamergeekgamer Member Posts: 43

No the community has not improved,infact it has stayed the same.Pretty much its all about bad replys,hate other players,informing about ninjas, and other times its about random things.Trade chat is still quite usefull as well as the lfg/lfm option.But you have to remember its the internet,it pulls the fantasy out of people and what they want to do but cant do or say in real life e.g we seen before long restarts at the last minute about racial coments "mexicans,blacks" or do not group with so in so.

its still a great game just play along like i do in those trade chat moments,because they are just like you and i.

• KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286

WoW's community isn't really unlike any other mmorpg I've played. However, the difference is that with the ability to rename, reroll, transfer, etc... the idiots that give WoW's community a bad name never have to own up to their actions. In a smaller community your actions can really change the way people react to you, and in my personal experiences the idiots had a hard time getting stuff done due to their reputation.

Wow has a bigger population, so there's going to be more of everything in terms of personalities. Unfortunately, the extremely vocal minority makes the majority look bad.

It really boils down to what your personal limit is for idiocy, I can keep myself blissfully ignorant of their existance most of the time. :P

• Hammertime1Hammertime1 Member Posts: 619

The OP's opinions are so far off base as to make the poll worthless.

Not meant as a flame, but WOW's community is no different than the community in any other game, and usually when someone is implying that as a fact, there's an anti-WOW bias/ agenda at work.

• icytear83icytear83 Member Posts: 47
    Originally posted by Hammertime1

The OP's opinions are so far off base as to make the poll worthless.

Not meant as a flame, but WOW's community is no different than the community in any other game, and usually when someone is implying that as a fact, there's an anti-WOW bias/ agenda at work.

thats not really true, granted there are always good and bad people in a game, but in WoW its a lot more worse. i have played a mmorpg where spammers, insulting comments are rarely seen. In my whole 1 year of active playing there, i barely  heard any insults and only encounter 2 scammers and they were literally blacklisted on the forums and everyone was warning everyone to be wary of them. Everyone was helpful to one another and i make some really good friends in the game.

In wow, for some servers if u post in the wow forums a ninja there would be trolls asking u to go kill yourself and its a game, and its not just one or two. Ask a simple question? people would reply to you like go press alt f4 or something like that.

Just 1 month of playing in a pvp server i encounter at least 20 douchebags, people who kick you out from arena teams after u have helped them, anal spammers, people who tell you that you cant read after u politely ask them is it ok to join them in a group after checking lfg (bear in mind that there was no lfg msg that says they need xxx class or anything), ninjas, arrogant vent pricks who keep swearing like mad, people telling you your a fucking c*** after u politely tell them your group is full, and the list goes on.

Personally, i disliked some aspects of WoW. But i don't think WoW is a bad game and bash it for no good reason. The difference in WoW community was so obvious that i got a real shock when i came over to play it because of the hype that it was the most popular game. I remember when i first dinged 80, i joined warsong gulch for the fun of it. After i enter queue and went to grab some water and came back, i saw my tells being flooded with afker, just die, go kill yourself e.t.c. by one guy . I was quite pissed frankly because i didn't even say anything when i join the wsg and it was barely less then a min when i joined. Being attacked verbally completely unprovoked was something i have never encountered for the past few years playing mmorpgs.  I mean like yes in other pvp games, i met people who would kill u over and over again but no one would spam verbal threats if you dont even reply or talk to them. Over the past 1 and the half year, i grown used to it and i just report spam them to have them on ignore but it really piss me off at times.

• ZippyZippy Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,412

I would say the community has improved in only a relative sense as some of new games have a much worse community.  With games like AoC dropping the bar for ommunity by reaching out to the worst of the 25 year old kiddies by marketing its game on immature content of sex, blood, gore, profanity and nudity.  Sadky it seems every new games community just gets worse but I think we have seen the worst with AoC for quite sometime.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • grunt187grunt187 Member CommonPosts: 956

If your really worried just join a guild turn off general,and yes trade then talk in your guild and all will be fine

The following statement is false
    The previous statement is true

• Azntranc3Azntranc3 Member Posts: 169

The only real reason the community is so "immature" is because of the large population, you can't control 11 million players who are all egotistical, e-peen loving, cocky sons of b*tches (well, it IS the internet...)

But yes, the community is still annoying and immature....on the other hand, the community CAN be quite plesant and mature.

• pussaykatpussaykat Member Posts: 791

Wow has not changed and is still full of people who think that if you're not perfect like them you're worthless and deserve to be publicly mocked. This probably comes from an inflated ego over all that purple gear they have. Those people forget there was a time where they did not own a single purple too and that they didn't care about it. Those people are bored deep down and they take it out on people for fun.

-Would you like cheddar or swiss cheese?
    -Yes.

• IronZIronZ Member Posts: 107
    Originally posted by Azntranc3

The only real reason the community is so "immature" is because of the large population, you can't control 11 million players who are all egotistical, e-peen loving, cocky sons of b*tches (well, it IS the internet...)

But yes, the community is still annoying and immature....on the other hand, the community CAN be quite plesant and mature.

Most people don't think of it that way.  Put 11 million people in your favorite game and see how YOUR community goes downhill, lol. 

For the most part, it's the same people that are annoying over and over.  I've cleaned up quite a bit just using the ignore list.  Now, with the large numbers there is always someone ready to fill the void, but you can control it to some degree.  Chat channels are easy to turn off too. It should be about the game not the chat!

Oh, and I /agree 100%

Z

• frying_panfrying_pan Member Posts: 34

No. The community has steadily got a lot worse, especially since the Activision-Blizzard merger.

Perfect example. When I first started playing 4 years ago Blizzard policed public channels. People talking rubbish and using foul language in trade chat were warned/temp bans etc. Now trade chat is nothing but swearing and abuse. You can report people as much as you want. The GM's will just ignore you or take no action.

With the XBOX Halo crowd moving into WoW, Activision-Blizzard are incredibly reluctant to ban or even warn players now. If Blizzard actually enforced their rules then they would have to ban massive amounts of kids and lose their precious 11.5 million subscribers.

Blizzard know that the most people taking up WoW these days have not played an MMO and are most likely console players where this sort of behaviour is a lot more common. Why would they ban players and lose precious money?

There are a lot of mature players, but being mature they just ignore the idiots and stick to their guild/friends. There is no wider community in WoW.

WoW is like Mad Max II. Groups of decent people isolating themselves from the abusive marauders trying to hassle them. Actually, to describe WoW's community as post-apocalyptic is quite apt.

Originally posted by IronZ

Most people don't think of it that way.  Put 11 million people in your favorite game and see how YOUR community goes downhill, lol. 

For the most part, it's the same people that are annoying over and over.  I've cleaned up quite a bit just using the ignore list.  Now, with the large numbers there is always someone ready to fill the void, but you can control it to some degree.  Chat channels are easy to turn off too. It should be about the game not the chat!
    Oh, and I /agree 100%
    Z

Except you dont play on a single server of 11 million people. And from personal experience I can say the community was much much better in May 2005 when I first started than it is now. It was still a lot better in late 2006 when there were 8.5 million players. I dunno, is there suddenly a magic number of subscribers you hit and then the community goes to hell?

• Spadez88Spadez88 Member Posts: 88
    Originally posted by frying_pan

No. The community has steadily got a lot worse, especially since the Activision-Blizzard merger.
    Perfect example. When I first started playing 4 years ago Blizzard policed public channels. People talking rubbish and using foul language in trade chat were warned/temp bans etc. Now trade chat is nothing but swearing and abuse. You can report people as much as you want. The GM's will just ignore you or take no action.
    With the XBOX Halo crowd moving into WoW, Activision-Blizzard are incredibly reluctant to ban or even warn players now. If Blizzard actually enforced their rules then they would have to ban massive amounts of kids and lose their precious 11.5 million subscribers.
    Blizzard know that the most people taking up WoW these days have not played an MMO and are most likely console players where this sort of behaviour is a lot more common. Why would they ban players and lose precious money?

There are a lot of mature players, but being mature they just ignore the idiots and stick to their guild/friends. There is no wider community in WoW.
    WoW is like Mad Max II. Groups of decent people isolating themselves from the abusive marauders trying to hassle them. Actually, to describe WoW's community as post-apocalyptic is quite apt.

So SO true. My girl plays wow and i sneak a peak on my guild she now runs. say hi to a few old players that i still chat on aim with. But i seen a steady amount of angery halo kids who want nothing more then to head shot someone on wow. Now i have nothing more to say to those kinda kids who spam raceist crap and stupid ideas in trade chat then good day. But i know that her ignore list has gotten so big that it takes a few secs to load all the names. But yes just stick to your guild/friends and you will never be bord. plus grouping is a breeze then.

Originally posted by Daffid011

If you think the warcraft community is so bad, you must not have a lot of mmo experience or just have very thin skin. 

There are so many games where I have seen players actively ruin the enjoyment of others to the point that it makes them quit playing all together and that is just the tip of the iceberg.  The level to which people cry about a handful of people being smart mouthed in global chat amazes me. Oh noes!  someone is telling chuck norris jokes again.  

Except Blizzard used to something about in the past. People got warnings, GM's would talk to players and tell them to stop. Now it takes days just to get a hold of a GM.

And its not Chuck Norris jokes people are talking about. The best example is when people would type [body part] and then link an ability in trade chat. I use [body part] because if I type what the idiots would actually type I'd most likely be violating mmorpg's rules of conduct.

This went on for months, and still goes on. On one night I wrote down the names of the people doing it. Nothing happened.

Wind the clock back to Nov 2004 when WoW first went public. If people tried to do this kind of rubbish they would have been swiftly warned/banned. These days ... Blizzard is too scared of upsetting the kiddies.