Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is it too late to start this mosnter of a game

eVE-404eVE-404 Member Posts: 28

im a huge final fantasy fan, started with Final fantasy VII in 1997 and have been hoocked ever since

i have 200+ hours gameplay in each of these games V,VI,VII,VIII,IX,X,X-2,XII,Tactics, thats over 2000 hours of ff + the other final fantasy games which i spent atleast 40-100h on each.

anyway so i was wondering, is it too late to start this game now? in a few weeks my finals will be over and i will have 4+months to waste so i need an mmorpg. can final fantasy II be it

Comments

• ArckenArcken Member Posts: 2,431

by all means c'mon back, I played at release and just recently returned after a 3 year hiatus. Frankly there are very few MMOs out there that are as good as FFXI, as old as it is.

• SatimasuSatimasu Member UncommonPosts: 900

It's never too late. We'd love to have you.

To be the best, you must help each other become the best.
    FFXI Character: Satimasu
    FFXI Server: Valefor
    FFXIV Character: Tamorae Fonteil

• eVE-404eVE-404 Member Posts: 28

so i got the game earlier than planned, im installing know. if you guys dont mind but will you be able to help me out in the game if i play on the server as you...or if anyone sees this can help me

I'm on Kujata, if you choose it, let me know what your character is and I'd love to help.

• grafhgrafh Member UncommonPosts: 320

ffxiclopedia.org will be your new best friend if your going to play ffxi

thanks sat :D, i cant play atm. im asuming there is maintanence

thanks for the link

• WSIMikeWSIMike Member Posts: 5,564

Now is actually a great time to come back.

There's a lot of new people I'm seeing starting out (on Pandemonium). There's proper new player tutorials, and they've added other things, like Fields of Valor, that will help you with getting some extra xp and gil as you learn your way around.

It looks like you're going to join Satimasu on his server, so I'm sure you'll be in good hands there.

Keep in mind you can always ask questions here as well, and we'll be glad to help.

I agree with ffxiclopedia.org being your "new best friend"; I still use it pretty regularly to look things up, check maps for areas I don't have in-game maps for yet, etc.

limitbreakradio.com is a great resource also. As a new player, I highly recommend Episode 27: "LBR's Gigantious Beginners Guide to Vana'diel" and Episode 33: "Get A Job, Newbie!". The other episodes are all equally informative and entertaining.

FFXI's a huge game and you have a lot to look forward to.

So, in all... Welcome to Vana'diel, and Happy Hunting!

"If you just step away for a sec you will clearly see all the pot holes in the road,
    and the cash shop selling asphalt..."
    - Mimzel on F2P/Cash Shops

thanks allot for the help :D

il make sure to read those before servers come back up.

but im having one problem with my 360 controller, iv trying to enable gamepad but not all the buttons are working, only one that work are X,A,Y,B,Start,Back,LB and RB...the rest do nothing, iv updated my drives and everything still same result. (ps i just got this controller today)

• tooga123tooga123 Member UncommonPosts: 113

im also looking for some people to join up with im patching the game as we speak. i was also wondering if there is a list with server populations? i just dont wanna feel like im all alone in the starter zones.

im going to the gym atm ill be back to log on and create a character in about 2 hours

edit: i just realized i have 18900+ files to download before i can create a character so it might be longer then 2hrs

• LickitungLickitung Member Posts: 35

checking into the "return home" campaign they're doing, seems I don't qualify cause my original playonline ID was never canceled and they say I can reactivate under the normal process. so even tho I stopped playing back in oct of o5, i can return to my full strength on garuda ((35whm/30smn)).  Now, thing I'm wanting to ask is this...

Any good RP based LS's out there?  is Garuda active around lvl 30?

Originally posted by tooga123

im also looking for some people to join up with im patching the game as we speak. i was also wondering if there is a list with server populations? i just dont wanna feel like im all alone in the starter zones.

im going to the gym atm ill be back to log on and create a character in about 2 hours
    edit: i just realized i have 18900+ files to download before i can create a character so it might be longer then 2hrs

The update *shouldn't* take that long. The "time remaining" is usually an average based on the time it takes to download the current file and the total number of files left. It said it was going to take 3 hours for when I was patching last time, and it only took about 1.5 total.

So.. though it *might* take that long for you, I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't.

As for populations...

A current check of the starting towns on Pandemonium is showing a healthy number of brand-new players (about 20 or so) and a number of experienced people on low-level jobs.

Also keep in mind that for the first 10-13 levels or so, the game is pretty much set up for soloing; the intention being that you're learning the basics... controls, navigation, fighting, etc. etc. So don't worry too much about finding groups that early on.

When the time comes to group up, you should start finding people to do FoV runs with, etc.

"If you just step away for a sec you will clearly see all the pot holes in the road,

You need a certain program for it. I can't remember the name. It'll make it so all the buttons will work. If you try and search for it on google, you might get lucky.

As Mike said, the early levels are solo for the most part. I wouldn't worry about a lack of people in the starter cities so much as I would in the actual exp zones. Things have been pretty fair on my server Kujata as well. Also, it's almost event time, so you'll see tons of people in the starter cities for a couple of weeks. That's where all the seasonal events take place, so everyone flocks there to do them.

• nekrothingnekrothing Member Posts: 302
    Originally posted by eVE-404

but im having one problem with my 360 controller, iv trying to enable gamepad but not all the buttons are working, only one that work are X,A,Y,B,Start,Back,LB and RB...the rest do nothing, iv updated my drives and everything still same result. (ps i just got this controller today)

I heard that there were some issues with FFXI and the 360 controller. Something about the trigger buttons not working. Before I rebought a controller for this game (after my old one crapped out on me), I tried reading up on the issue, but couldn't find a fix for it. Most people just suggested updating the drivers for the controller. You could always try that.

Assuming that doesn't work though, you could always try (I'm not sure if this is the program Satimasu was talking about) Xpadder to reassign your keys on your 360 controller to the corresponding keys in FFXI. Xpadder itself is a keyboard/mouse emulator for PC gamepads. So for example, if the - key on your keybaord opens up the menu for you in FFXI, you can assign the - key on your keybaord to your 360 controller with Xpadder. So on and so forth for all of the other keys.

• MiMoSeTHMiMoSeTH Member UncommonPosts: 46

I play on PC with a wired Xbox 360 controller, using this:

XBDC drivers and profiles for Xbox 360 Controller: xbcd360guide.50webs.com/

General PDF guide to playing FFXI with a Xbox 360 controller: www.ffxionline.com/forums/game-setup-tweeking-optimizing-q/70859-xbox-360-controller-pc-ffxi-howto.html

Thanks to those drivers and the guide you'll be able to use the triggers like digital buttons, the D-Pad and even enable the rumble, allowing you to have exactly the same configuration as if you were playing FFXI on the 360. A downside i found is that with those drivers installed, other games that were recognizing the pad stopped doing it as a genuine 360 controler, but you can get around uninstalling/reinstalling the custom drivers if need be, it's just a matter of seconds and it really is worth it to enjoy FFXI as it was conceived.

thanks for the help, il check it out now. but i can get the guide from the final fanatsy 11 site, iv been waiting 3 days for an admin to activate my account but still nothin. is there a way someone can post that guide here for me. or upload it to another site

ah nevermind , i got a cheap controller from a bargin bin, works perfectly. only has ten buttons so i dont have a logout button or a screenshot button which is really not needed

• cloudacvcloudacv Member UncommonPosts: 210

I am thinking about coming back after 1-2 years of not playing and i am not sure of what server to join.

any suggestions?

Can only speak of my server Kujata. Only time I was on other servers, was when you couldn't choose a server to start on. Anyway, if you happen to choose it, let me know.

I joined Kajuta and there quite a few people in the booby areas

What the character name so I can find you?

• apacettijrapacettijr Member UncommonPosts: 46

Welcome to the game :)

I joined Kajuta and there quite a few people in the booby areas

'booby areas'?

Is that what they're calling them these days?

:-p

j/k

lol wops :P

anyway my name is numara, i got xpadder an set up the keys but when i open Play online it just stops working, anyone out there that can help me out

anyway my name is numara, i got xpadder an set up the keys but when i open Play online it just stops working, anyone out there that can help me out

Hmmm... I wasn't sure what xpadder was, so I googled it quick and... from what I can see, it basically emulates your keyboard on a gamepad?

If so, I think that, firstly, it might simply be that it's not compatible with FFXI.. Don't know that for sure, so don't quote me.

However, I also think it might be redundant because FFXI has native gamepad support. It was, in fact, originally designed for a console (PS2). So, if you have a PS2 style or 360 style PC gamepad, you can go into the config (Start > Play Online > Final Fantasy XI > Final Fantasy XI Config) and set it up in there. You'll be off and running. The only thing you'll have to do is put the gamepad down to type.

Other than that... I can't help you with the xpadder setup, unfortunately :-/.

Originally posted by WSIMike

Hmmm... I wasn't sure what xpadder was, so I googled it quick and... from what I can see, it basically emulates your keyboard on a gamepad?

If so, I think that, firstly, it might simply be that it's not compatible with FFXI.. Don't know that for sure, so don't quote me.

However, I also think it might be redundant because FFXI has native gamepad support. It was, in fact, originally designed for a console (PS2). So, if you have a PS2 style or 360 style PC gamepad, you can go into the config (Start > Play Online > Final Fantasy XI > Final Fantasy XI Config) and set it up in there. You'll be off and running. The only thing you'll have to do is put the gamepad down to type.

Other than that... I can't help you with the xpadder setup, unfortunately :-/.

i was googling around and there where a number of people who use it to play FFXI with the 360 controller but i cant find a topic about the problem im having, iv configurated the keys in ff11 game pad conflig but there are two buttons that do not get picked up on the conflig as it cannot read axis keys so i wanted to use xpadder so that the axis keys are the alt and ctrl keys.

i hope you get what i mean.