Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New computer and performance sucks.

MargulisMargulis Member CommonPosts: 1,614

So i went ahead and got a computer with the following specs:

Processor: Intel® Core™ i7-920 2.66 GHz 8MB Cache

Power Supply: 1000 Watt Multi-GPU Approved Power Supply

Graphics Processor: Single 1,792 MB NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 295

Memory: 6GB DDR3 SDRAM at 1066MHz - 3 x 2048MB

Motherboard: Intel® X-58 Motherboard- Socket 1366 Core i7 Ready, Dual Triple Channel DDR3 Memory

Operating System: Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium (64-bit Edition) with Service Pack 1

Based on the feedback I was expecting to be able to either blast through max quality settings pretty good, or at least come close.  Um, no.  Even if I turn off shadows, my fps will drop to the teens running around Kelethin at times during the daytime with the lighting and all.  What the hell?  I did a 3dmark vantage and scored 20,000 with a GPU score of 17,800.  Seemed consistent with what other people with similar systems had, so what is the deal that I am missing here?  Is it the processor?  Is it just the game, or is it maybe the company that put it together (Alienware).  Yes yes, everyone says build your own computer but I don't feel confident in my abilities to do so, resulting in the decision to go with a premade.  Also, I've actually found turning shadows off and on to not really affect my fps at all, it seems to be the same either way.  Anyway, constructive feedback would be appreciated as to what I can do. 

Comments

• Greyhawk4x4Greyhawk4x4 Member UncommonPosts: 480
    Originally posted by Margulis

Motherboard: Intel® X-58 Motherboard- Socket 1366 Core i7 Ready, Dual Triple Channel DDR3 Memory

Operating System: Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium (64-bit Edition) with Service Pack 1

Based on the feedback I was expecting to be able to either blast through max quality settings pretty good, or at least come close.  Um, no.  Even if I turn off shadows, my fps will drop to the teens running around Kelethin at times during the daytime with the lighting and all.  What the hell?  I did a 3dmark vantage and scored 20,000 with a GPU score of 17,800.  Seemed consistent with what other people with similar systems had, so what is the deal that I am missing here?  Is it the processor?  Is it just the game, or is it maybe the company that put it together (Alienware).  Yes yes, everyone says build your own computer but I don't feel confident in my abilities to do so, resulting in the decision to go with a premade.  Also, I've actually found turning shadows off and on to not really affect my fps at all, it seems to be the same either way.  Anyway, constructive feedback would be appreciated as to what I can do. 

I had the same problem with EQ2 and I tried everything to no avail...until I decided to disable my anti-virus and BINGO, it ran excellent.

I was running Mcafee at the time, after I uninstalled Mcafee and started using AVG....I had no more problems.

I can't really explain it, but it worked for me.

Good luck.

• MargulisMargulis Member CommonPosts: 1,614

disregard.

• MargulisMargulis Member CommonPosts: 1,614

Everything was solved by 2 things:

1.  Turned off just enviornmental shadows option.

2.  Overclocked cpu to 3.5 ghz.  Running stable at good temps also.

FPS now is consistent 40-50 fps out in the field and 25-40 in towns. 

• warppwarpp Member Posts: 258

That's strange because i run two clients of EQ2 at the same time on one PC with everything maxed,yes i two box of the one system.

System specs are...

Dell 730  XPS H2C LTD EDITION.

2X 8000 GTX 768MB SLI

Windows Vista ultimate 32bit

H2C liquid cooling system

Dell 1000W PSU

- EPS12V, SLI, ATX2.0, SSI

- 92mm thermally controlled fan

- MTBF: 400,000 hours

Motherboard chipset NForce 790i SLI

CPU 3.8GHz GHz ( Factory overclocked) Intel Quad Core 2 Extreme QX9770

4GB of Corsair Dominator DDR3 ( Factory overclocked 1600MHz )

Creative X-Fi XtremeGamer audio card

2 x728mb 8800gtx Sli config

2x 160GB 10,000 rpm hard drive, 1TB 7,200 rpm hard drive

AGEIA PhysX physics card accelerator

Blu-ray/HD-DVD combo drive

DELL ULTRASHARP 2408WFP24-inch Widescreen Flat Panel Monitor.

Allienware are part of dell and my PC is a dell pc so i don't think it's the company.

Jah Rasta For I.
    The Wicked Shall Fall..

http://www.ethnic2020.com/images/Ebay/black-jesus.jpg

• sushimeessushimees Member Posts: 489

That's still not that great with the system that you have. Either the game is poorly optimized for your setup or the game isn't utilizing your hardware efficiently.

• TibbzTibbz Member UncommonPosts: 613
    Originally posted by sushimees

That's still not that great with the system that you have. Either the game is poorly optimized for your setup or the game isn't utilizing your hardware efficiently.

The game is not optimzied for dual or quad cores, and it is very CPU dependant.  So essentially EQ2 sees your comp as a 2.66gig single core, and that is how it is running it.  To improve my comp specs (Athalon X2 FX -62) i had to oc my cpu to 2.98gigs from 2.8 and that lil oc helped a ton, i also had to disable SLI.  I have heard that any multi core video card, like the 4870X2s are having issues as well. 

Remeber this game was programed sevral years ago, way before multi cores were viable. 

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by Tibbz

essentially EQ2 sees your comp as a 2.66gig single core, and that is how it is running it.

EQ2 has had multicore support for the last 6 months

eq2.wikia.com/wiki/LU49

MULTICORE SUPPORT

EQII now runs better with more than one CPU. The game automatically detects if you have more than one CPU. There is an option to control whether the game uses multicore mode in the Options Window under Display -> Performance. If you're running multiple clients on the same computer you may want to disable multicore mode. Game clients prefer running on CPUs other than the first CPU. Setting the multicore option has no effect on machines with one CPU.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Funny, my FPS is generally good 'cept in Neriak but my problem is that my GF card have an issue so I crash often. Very irritating.

My specs are: 2.66 ghx intel quad

4 gb RAM

Nvidia 280 GTX

Windows XP

I usually either crashes in Neriak or when zooning but it happens in other places too.

• LasastardLasastard Member Posts: 604

Given its age, EQ2s' performance doesn't scale particularly well with modern hardware. Could be gfx drivers, maybe? I guess other games run just fine?

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by Lasastard

Given its age, EQ2s' performance doesn't scale particularly well with modern hardware. Could be gfx drivers, maybe? I guess other games run just fine?

In my case, yes. SOE is supposedly blaming Nvidia for it. Seems like it just happens with the 280 card, I am hoping that the next driver will solve the problem, ever the optimist.

Still, Eq2 run quite good 'cept the crashes for me, with everything maxed out.

• IAmMMOIAmMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,462

EQ2 engine assigns most things to the CPU, even shadows are offloaded to CPU and not GPU. It does boggle the mind what they were thinking when creating such an engine and claiming it was future proofed for 5+ years. Now GPU power since EQ2 release has gone up to operate far faster than CPU's can, so you'll find your super graphics card in your new rig will do little to help EQ2, it's all about the CPU to get EQ2 running smooth.

• mechtech256mechtech256 Member UncommonPosts: 206

Known fact...  EQ2 Hates SLI, and the devs never do anything about it

• ICEBLUEICEBLUE Member UncommonPosts: 58

I am running on a newly built system, Phenom 2 940 3.0 gig black edition chip, 4 gig Corsair 1066 ram, 2 hd4870's and Asus 44A79 Deluxe MB, and a 10k Western Digital velocirapter ( I believe I speled that correctly) hard drive

Performace is not really that good, in fact the multi-core option seems to only go after my 4th core leaving that maxed and the other cores idle at 10% usage or less.  I am aving an stuttering effect when I move, its hardly noticable but still very anoying.

If I change affinity to the cores and exclude the 4th core, all 3 run for about 10 seconds and it shifts back to teh 4th core again.

Running on Extreme I am getting about 20 Frames or so, no real difference on Very high settings.

I decided to go backwards and pull my 2 HD4970 out ( they where in Xfire) after testing them independantly with only 1 installed at a time same result, but actually a slightly better frame rate..

Then I put in my old HD 3870 card, frame rate went to around 45 to 50 at same settings but still had a slight stutter..

Weird since my last buld was a amd quad core 9600 (first generation) then using multi-core all cores where used by the program and most of the time they where running around 15% each.

I think its truely a newer multi-core cpu issue in there code, or lake there-of. Running age of conan on max settings with 2 HD4870's and I get 80% cpu usage acroos all cores and run at about 32 frames in DX10 mode all option on, where as with just the 3870 I get 8 to 10 frames..

• MoiraeMoirae Member RarePosts: 3,318

Guys, just a thought but why don't you go post this on EQ2 official forums? Chances are that someone else has had the same issue and may actually be able to help you.

I am running a brand new rig (self built) with a Phenom 940, 4 gigs ram, and a gtx260 with core 216 and I'm running without a problem. It isn't overclocked in any way though I think I'm going to try overclocking my 260 today (been thinking about it all day).

If I can run fine (and in fact better since my ping on my old 7600GT rig was 19 and its about 45 now) and you can't, it means there's something going on that can't be addressed here.

• KupobackKupoback Member Posts: 3

Sorry I can't offer much help to this thread, but I was curious, I'm looking to upgrade my GPU, and am stuck between a GeForce 9600GTX+(1024MB) and GTX260 (896MB).

Which would you recommend to use. I'm currently running an 8600GT, and it runs sluggish on High Quality. I am aiming for Highest Quality.

PC Specs:

2.4Ghz Duo Core 6600

4Gigs DDR2 Ram

1 320GB 7,200RPM HDD

ASUS P5N-E Motherboard

500W PSU

20.1" ASUS Monitor.

WoW: Uncleleo - 80 lock Gul'dan
    Elainebennis: 74 DK Gul'Dan
    EQ2: Barthais 5 Paly Blackburrow

• FlemFlem Member UncommonPosts: 2,870
    Originally posted by Kupoback

Sorry I can't offer much help to this thread, but I was curious, I'm looking to upgrade my GPU, and am stuck between a GeForce 9600GTX+(1024MB) and GTX260 (896MB).

Which would you recommend to use. I'm currently running an 8600GT, and it runs sluggish on High Quality. I am aiming for Highest Quality.

PC Specs:

2.4Ghz Duo Core 6600
    4Gigs DDR2 Ram
    1 320GB 7,200RPM HDD
    ASUS P5N-E Motherboard
    500W PSU
    20.1" ASUS Monitor.

I run a GTX 260 and it kicks ass.  I run on extreme settings with nothing turned off (yes i keep shadows on). 

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • KupobackKupoback Member Posts: 3
    Originally posted by Flem

Originally posted by Kupoback

PC Specs:

2.4Ghz Duo Core 6600
    4Gigs DDR2 Ram
    1 320GB 7,200RPM HDD
    ASUS P5N-E Motherboard
    500W PSU
    20.1" ASUS Monitor.

I run a GTX 260 and it kicks ass.  I run on extreme settings with nothing turned off (yes i keep shadows on). 

Yeah, I went out and picked up a GTX 260, nice beefy V-card, but was missing the power connector that was supposed to come with it and Best Buy closed before I could have a chance.  So I will try again today and hope it's all good.

WoW: Uncleleo - 80 lock Gul'dan
    Elainebennis: 74 DK Gul'Dan
    EQ2: Barthais 5 Paly Blackburrow