Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Interested in trying EQ2 for the first time? Returning player? Simply bored?

Comments

• NovalithNovalith Member Posts: 15
    Originally posted by Pyrostasis

Guys are more than welcome to join whenever. =)
    I would be interested in seeing some of what spellborn has to offer from someone thats not a fanboi or a hater.

It seems to me that everyone automatically falls into one of those 2 catagories on forums these days, with the frequency the accusations get thrown around.  As for your EQ offer I don't have an internet connection except at work, so as much as I might enjoy giving it a run with you all I will have to pass until the next game you "zerg". Of course I meant that in a good way.  Shoot me a line if you swap later, sometime in the Late May, early June time frame.

• grimbojgrimboj Member Posts: 2,102

You can get to 20 in a day easily but I see what you're trying to do. There are 4 dungeons, 2 adventure packs and quite a few instances people forget about --- all just for lvl 20 ish players.

--
    Note: PlayNC will refuse to allow you access to your account if you forget your password and can't provide a scanned image of the product key for the first product you purchased..... LOL

• PyrostasisPyrostasis Member UncommonPosts: 2,293

Yep, tons and tons of content. We just entered Stormhold tonight, going to attempt to finish it off tonight or tomorrow, then probably hit all the quests inside of Fallengate.

After that there are plenty of other instances we can do, Nek castle, that instance in nek forest... tons of stuff.

• neonwireneonwire Member Posts: 1,787

I would be interested in seeing some of what spellborn has to offer from someone thats not a fanboi or a hater.

I wouldnt recommend you try out Spellborn yet because if you did you would probably end up quitting EQ2 pretty quickly. Its one of the best looking and most immersive mmos I have seen and has much more involving gameplay in it than any of the other mmos have been able to offer. You actually aim your attacks and have to dodge monsters (no point and click auto attack)......and those monsters have decent AI and use relevant tactics based on what they are and who they are fighting. The game has done away with loot grinding which is sort of a blessing and a curse. Its good because it puts more focus on actually enjoying the game rather than hooking players by throwing endless piles of loot at them with silly stats on them to compensate for poor gameplay......but I must admit that I do sometimes miss that aspect a bit. There are loads of crafting recipes to make armour and weapons but its all just for visual purposes so it all can feel a bit pointless at times. The only impact that anything has on the game is sigils (stones which u insert into your fluff items) but even they are pretty much irrelevant as there effect on the game is so minimal that you dont even notice them. The game really focuses on the players use of skills instead of items......thats in-game skills and actual genuine player skill.

Its a weird lttle game that does away with the standard rules that other more mainstream mmos have been following for years. Its uniqueness is one of the main things that has held my attention.....well.....that and the fact that it looks stunning and is also fun to play. Its just a shame that its such a linear story driven themepark game. If it had more open sandbox elements to it then it would probably be close to perfect in my eyes. As it is though I'm not sure it will hold my attention for a long period of time but that doesnt bother me as I have never been one to play the same game for years......which has always seemed a bit over-fanatical and weird to me.

If you do fancy having a look at it, come on to the PvE server (Dorzhan). My characters name is Draithus and I am in a guild called Radiance which are a pretty friendly bunch. You would be welcome to join up if you like. Actually now is the best time to check the game out as the game just "officially" released and the devs are giving everyone 2 weeks free subscription time.......on top of the fact that the game is free to play for an unlimited period of time up until level 8 (which doesnt stop u from rerolling alts) and also doesnt require the purchase of any game box. So u just pay for the monthly subscription when u feel like it and thats all. When you compare this to the methods of purchasing other mmos, Spellborn actually makes a laughing stock of its competition. I hope other mmos follow its example. You actually lose nothing finacially by installing and playing the game.

Oops......sorry that was a bit of a sales pitch.

• neonwireneonwire Member Posts: 1,787
    Originally posted by isolor

Originally posted by neonwire

Originally posted by isolor

He said stuff

I said stuff

He said some more stuff

I said some more stuff

"Level Lock" means to turn off your adventure xp and quest xp, to stay the same level while doing content. This way you can enjoy each tier at a slower pace. Instead of rushing to "End Game". It is a great way to see everything the game has to offer, and as a side benefit you can get your AA (Alternate Achievement) points caught up to your level. Which are points you can alocate to make your class more specific in a certain area. For example, I have a Swashbucker (DPS scout class) that with the right AA's I was able to turn into a tanking scout. So I can take more damgage and hate to protect group members.

Hmmm these "Alternative Achievement" points sound interesting. Are they a fairly new addition? I did pop back to the game for a little while about a year and a half ago. Maybe I have already encountered them but just cant remember. Hmmm

They have been in the game for a while now, I think they came out with Echoes of Faydare. Since then they have added two more sections. So now you have 3 trees. Subclass, class and the latest called Shodow.

So again for my swashy they would go Rogue,Swashbuckler, shadow, where the shadow tree covers all scouts up to your class. You really can make yourself quite unique using these trees. Up to level 70 you can only use 140 ponits. after that you can get upto 200 points to use.

Ahh ok I do sort of vaguely remember some of it now. However I also remembered one of the things I really disliked about EQ2 and thats the way that all the races are allowed to play alongside each other regardless of their alignment. It really grated on my nerves actually. I remember being a Dwarf from poncy Qeynos and I joined some guild that had members from everywhere. So I found myself in a group with a dark elf shadowknight, a troll and an ogre. It basicly spat in the face of everything that was good about the original EQ. The game makes you choose between a good or evil alignment and then just forgets all about it and lets everyone do whatever they like which was a real immersion breaker for me. I still might give the game another go sometime soon though. Its just that I find it hard to overlook extremely stupid game design decisions....unless they have added a server with a more realistic and less silly ruleset.

I wouldnt recommend you try out Spellborn yet because if you did you would probably end up quitting EQ2 pretty quickly. Its one of the best looking and most immersive mmos I have seen and has much more involving gameplay in it than any of the other mmos have been able to offer. You actually aim your attacks and have to dodge monsters (no point and click auto attack)......and those monsters have decent AI and use relevant tactics based on what they are and who they are fighting. The game has done away with loot grinding which is sort of a blessing and a curse. Its good because it puts more focus on actually enjoying the game rather than hooking players by throwing endless piles of loot at them with silly stats on them to compensate for poor gameplay......but I must admit that I do sometimes miss that aspect a bit. There are loads of crafting recipes to make armour and weapons but its all just for visual purposes so it all can feel a bit pointless at times. The only impact that anything has on the game is sigils (stones which u insert into your fluff items) but even they are pretty much irrelevant as there effect on the game is so minimal that you dont even notice them. The game really focuses on the players use of skills instead of items......thats in-game skills and actual genuine player skill.

Its a weird lttle game that does away with the standard rules that other more mainstream mmos have been following for years. Its uniqueness is one of the main things that has held my attention.....well.....that and the fact that it looks stunning and is also fun to play. Its just a shame that its such a linear story driven themepark game. If it had more open sandbox elements to it then it would probably be close to perfect in my eyes. As it is though I'm not sure it will hold my attention for a long period of time but that doesnt bother me as I have never been one to play the same game for years......which has always seemed a bit over-fanatical and weird to me.

If you do fancy having a look at it, come on to the PvE server (Dorzhan). My characters name is Draithus and I am in a guild called Radiance which are a pretty friendly bunch. You would be welcome to join up if you like. Actually now is the best time to check the game out as the game just "officially" released and the devs are giving everyone 2 weeks free subscription time.......on top of the fact that the game is free to play for an unlimited period of time up until level 8 (which doesnt stop u from rerolling alts) and also doesnt require the purchase of any game box. So u just pay for the monthly subscription when u feel like it and thats all. When you compare this to the methods of purchasing other mmos, Spellborn actually makes a laughing stock of its competition. I hope other mmos follow its example. You actually lose nothing finacially by installing and playing the game.

Damn you and your infomercial!

As for the race thing, Its still like that so to speak... you cant go to the enemy towns and get quests, but you can group with each other (we have a lot of good/bad mixes) it all depends on your personal preference.

We ended up clearing all but the lowest area in stonehold tonight, and started working on butcher blocks quests. If anyones interested, just hit up tim deep, and try and get through the quest branch there, takes about 3 - 5 hours depending on your speed, and gets you 20 relatively quickly.

After that your caught up as we are all level locked. Hope to see a few more in game tomorrow =)

• clwoodsclwoods Member Posts: 625

I'm pretty sure I'm up for this. I currently get on my computer and just stare at my desktop for a few minutes before shamefully shuffling away to complete some menial task in the real world.

I'm going to register on your site now.

Originally posted by clwoods

I'm pretty sure I'm up for this. I currently get on my computer and just stare at my desktop for a few minutes before shamefully shuffling away to complete some menial task in the real world.

I'm going to register on your site now.

oh my god, you poor thing! We cant have a gamer actually being productive in real life, its simply tragic.

The Game would go down while I have a day off QQ >.<

• rznkainrznkain Member Posts: 539

No he wouldn't Spellborn sucks compared to Eq2 heck I had rather play AoC than spellborn its only gettin some hype atm cause its pretty new trust me that game cannot compare to Eq2 on any lvl

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by Wrender

Vanguard is better than EQ2 and SOE is to bullheaded to admit it. If they would market/advertise/develop it would have more subs than any MMO out right now. WOW included!

I dont really think so. I have a station account and plays both a bit, but EQ2 far more.

Vanguard could easily be a better game because it do have many things going for it but EQ2 is just more fun to me. It's massive contents is of course a big bonus for eQ2, Vanguard seems in many way minimalistic.

It would please me if they actually spent some work on Vanguard to make it the game it could be.

But no, Vanguard would never have more subs than Wow, it is too hard. Also it could use some more polish, but people basicly want an easy game that everyone could play.

• CasualMakerCasualMaker Member UncommonPosts: 862

Ahh ok I do sort of vaguely remember some of it now. However I also remembered one of the things I really disliked about EQ2 and thats the way that all the races are allowed to play alongside each other regardless of their alignment. It really grated on my nerves actually. I remember being a Dwarf from poncy Qeynos and I joined some guild that had members from everywhere. So I found myself in a group with a dark elf shadowknight, a troll and an ogre. It basicly spat in the face of everything that was good about the original EQ. The game makes you choose between a good or evil alignment and then just forgets all about it and lets everyone do whatever they like which was a real immersion breaker for me. I still might give the game another go sometime soon though. Its just that I find it hard to overlook extremely stupid game design decisions....unless they have added a server with a more realistic and less silly ruleset.

There are at least 2 PvP servers, one of which is among the most heavily populated in the game. Can't tell you anything about the ruleset on them: I've never tried them out. I don't mind a little PvP on occasion, but I think it easily turns into griefing.

Originally posted by rznkain

No he wouldn't Spellborn sucks compared to Eq2 heck I had rather play AoC than spellborn its only gettin some hype atm cause its pretty new trust me that game cannot compare to Eq2 on any lvl

Thats not really fair, Spellborn is a very unique game with a special feeling, it certanly wont fit everyone but it do differ from the rest of the games.

Personally I prefer EQ2 but Spellborn is not that bad, and it do compare good with eq2 in one aspect: the feeling of the world.

Originally posted by CasualMaker

There are at least 2 PvP servers, one of which is among the most heavily populated in the game. Can't tell you anything about the ruleset on them: I've never tried them out. I don't mind a little PvP on occasion, but I think it easily turns into griefing.

I played a bit on Venekor but the system of Eq2 dont work so good in PvP. People with 80 level alts sent money, gear and masters to their lower alts, and then griefed with unbeatable characters.

The way skills work makes PvP combat very unbalanced and a character with adept 1 skills stand no chanse against a character with masters.

Another problem is that all dungeons are camped by higher level character that forces you to be in the highest possible level to do it and a full group anyways. That makes the dungeon to easy if you dont get ganked and that just aint no fun.

The possibility to change sides is however very fun but hard on a PvP server, but characters with stealth do have a extremly big advantage over characters that cant.

If they skipped the skill system and let everyone have the same and changed the system on who you can attack in a dungeon I would go back to my PvP char but right now the game is a lot better on a PvE server.

Im a huge pvp fan, but I have to agree playing PvP in EQ2 was not much fun. Game just doesnt seem balanced for it, but then most of the good pve games arent.

NM ignore this post =)

Things changed, we are on crushbone leveling away, original post edited to show updated server. Guild will be created later today, if interested hit up our forums.

• IronacolyteIronacolyte Member UncommonPosts: 26

well I hate to derail this unfortunately... but...
    Well, see its all Turbines fault. Few of our long time members who were thinking about getting the game saw that Turbine was hosting LOTRO for a measly 9.99 and well the cheap bastards then bought that instead.
    They of course then used some of the LOTRO goodness to lure away my minions!
    So looks like This is going to switch from an EQ2 revival to a LOTRO revival... soo... move along!

el oh el

Original post updated, we are on crushbone, still looking for more.

• punkbrad7punkbrad7 Member UncommonPosts: 14

Tanks anyone? :D

And a Mystic/defiler or Templar/inquis

Currently looking for a T1 or T2 (10 - 20) Cleric (Templar or Inquisitor) or Shaman (Mystic or Defieler) thats interested in EQ2 Content.

Planning on Doing Wailing Caverns and Black Burrow today. Contact Phaine in game if interested, reply here, or pm me.

• Glacial_RainGlacial_Rain Member Posts: 110

don't forget if your running around getting AA xp to get the firemyst gully access quest in antonica. after you enter on the quest there are about 10 named mobs to the left after zone in. *you can only get them during this quest if you re-enter its a regular instance zone.*

Nice thx for the heads up, Ill see if I can find that quest on the wiki

• ClaiesClaies Member UncommonPosts: 76

I'm attempting to download and install the client now, and will join in later tonight depending on how long it takes to download....

Originally posted by Claies

I'm attempting to download and install the client now, and will join in later tonight depending on how long it takes to download....

Yeah sony really doesnt like using their bandwidth, so might take a bit. Look forward to seeing you in game.

For anyone else, if you need a 14 day free trial with all expansions but TSO feel free to ask.