Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Convice me to play this game :) I want to hear about this game.

I'm currently playing LOTRO mainly, having a blast with this game and I'm looking forward to even going for lifetime subscription. Also I'm playing War online/AoC but I'm going to cancel AoC since there are nothing to hook me up (not saying the game is bad, but just no friend to play with.) I'm looking for another game that is so similar SWG and from what I read Vanguard is the closest choice. So I want to ask for perspective about this game, as there are upcoming many games ahead I want to see if I should involve into this game or not.

Here are the list that I'm demanding, if this game can offer me this experience:

1.) Economy is totally player driver, as like in SWG I can even care about setting myself an own shop to keep my business running. Yes I was playing as an architect in SWG for 2 years and I still love it !!! so does player needs to come to your place to buy your unique items?

2.) Housing is dynamic. I already read and saw some videos that Vanguard housing is so similar to SWG. So I just want to confirm more about hows the housing in this game as in is it enough place for everyone to have a house?

3.) I'm basically playing MMO for looking nice and being unique in gears/weapons. Is the game offers LOTS of armor/weapon types? Are there LOTS of KICK ass looking armor/weapon? Will I be able to craft something that player wants to buy for looks? (just like in SWG as in Tailoring before NGE.)

4.) Community active? Easy going?

5.) Soloing friendly? like will I be able to max level only by soloing? lots of grinding mobs? Well I can play with grps but I just hope just in case if I gotta play by myself sometimes due to wrong timing at least I can still enjoy the game.

yea sorry there are still TONS of questions wanna ask but I think that should be okay if everything above can meet my expectation, you will see me in game :p

thank you if anyone will answer my question. I will love to dedicate myself into a deep MMO game (yea sorry to say WoW is like an online adventure game to me, I need DEEP MMO genre involves Housing, Crafting, Economy player-driven, and Community like SWG offers me.)

Comments

• objeffobjeff Member UncommonPosts: 97
    Originally posted by Nirumi

I'm currently playing LOTRO mainly, having a blast with this game and I'm looking forward to even going for lifetime subscription. Also I'm playing War online/AoC but I'm going to cancel AoC since there are nothing to hook me up (not saying the game is bad, but just no friend to play with.) I'm looking for another game that is so similar SWG and from what I read Vanguard is the closest choice. So I want to ask for perspective about this game, as there are upcoming many games ahead I want to see if I should involve into this game or not.
    Here are the list that I'm demanding, if this game can offer me this experience:
    1.) Economy is totally player driver, as like in SWG I can even care about setting myself an own shop to keep my business running. Yes I was playing as an architect in SWG for 2 years and I still love it !!! so does player needs to come to your place to buy your unique items?
    I don't think you can use your house as a shop. Don't have my own house so I'm not 100% sure about that.
    2.) Housing is dynamic. I already read and saw some videos that Vanguard housing is so similar to SWG. So I just want to confirm more about hows the housing in this game as in is it enough place for everyone to have a house?
    Again not sure.
    3.) I'm basically playing MMO for looking nice and being unique in gears/weapons. Is the game offers LOTS of armor/weapon types? Are there LOTS of KICK ass looking armor/weapon? Will I be able to craft something that player wants to buy for looks? (just like in SWG as in Tailoring before NGE.)
    Some if not most of the best items in the game come from crafting. You can make a lot of money at it if you remain competitive. As far as kick ass armor/weapon - there is some cool looking stuff but all kept within the context of the game graphics which is fairly realisticish. (Just made up a new word!)
    The community is my favorite part. Everyone is mature and helpful. Its an all together thing.
    5.) Soloing friendly? like will I be able to max level only by soloing? lots of grinding mobs? Well I can play with grps but I just hope just in case if I gotta play by myself sometimes due to wrong timing at least I can still enjoy the game.
    Not a great solo game. You could possibly do it.....but the game was designed for groups. There are a ton of quests that can be done solo so....its possible.
    yea sorry there are still TONS of questions wanna ask but I think that should be okay if everything above can meet my expectation, you will see me in game :p
    thank you if anyone will answer my question. I will love to dedicate myself into a deep MMO game (yea sorry to say WoW is like an online adventure game to me, I need DEEP MMO genre involves Housing, Crafting, Economy player-driven, and Community like SWG offers me.)

The game has a ton of stuff to do. The game has 3 spheres to level in - 4 if you count harvesting. Adventure, crafting, and diplomacy.

Crafting is really involved and from the sound of it you'll probably enjoy it. Diplomacy is more of a card game - I wouldn't say diplomacy would provide the depth you're looking for however - you can turn on city diplomatic buffs by doing it. And some of those buffs help crafters craft. Just another added element.

If you're looking for a deep game you should check VG out. There is a free 14 day trial which give you the opportunity to level to 10 in all 3 spheres on the trial island.

Oh ya, you can craft boats too. :)

• lttexxanlttexxan Member UncommonPosts: 429

Please...please...play it!!!! You know you want to...pleas......oh never mind.

It's better to lurk in forums and be thought a fool...than to endlessly "Quote" and remove all doubts.

• NirumiNirumi Member Posts: 19

Thank you for reply :)

I need more info plz !! :D

Anyway I'm downloading the trial, do I need to pay the full price for the game if I activate ?

• lttexxanlttexxan Member UncommonPosts: 429

Thank you for reply :)
    I need more info plz !! :D
    Anyway I'm downloading the trial, do I need to pay the full price for the game if I activate ?

Damnit I said please! You're just like my last online buddy...soooo needy.

Sheesh!

Please play it...... for me...if not for yourself.

It's better to lurk in forums and be thought a fool...than to endlessly "Quote" and remove all doubts.

hahaha !! I'm actually downloading the trial now.

So .. Do I need to pay the full whole game if I upgrade to full account?

and if that so how much is the game itself if upgrade?

• rafaelrehnrafaelrehn Member Posts: 235

SOE... need I say more? 

• WrenderWrender Member Posts: 1,386

you can get the game box for under 10 bucks if you look around. I payed 19.99 from soe w/ 30 days free time. I absolutely love this game! If this game was market/advertised properly I can actually see it getting more popular than any MMO curently available. YES! Warcraft included. I didn't know a game like this existed. Excellent community and the population is growing now that the game is what it was sposed to be at launch. Im fact if SOE ever cancels this game I will probably never play another MMO again. All the recent games I have played last 5 years or so simply suck compared to Vanguard. You will need a pretty good computer to run it like it is meant to run . Im on an older AMD 3800+ single core w/ a Geforce 9500 card and I can get high settings. Have been playing LotRO and AoC and Vanguard blows both of those out of the water Graphicwise! The game looks absolutely stunning on high settings or better. Very deep and involving questing, crafting and flying mount at lvl 10. I have been trialing on the Isle of Dawn for about 5 days now and I am very impressed. Oh yeah if really feels so good to actually get killed often for not being careful. Name a game today where you can't solo to lvl 80 without ever dying. Vanguard is def challenging. I liked LotRO a lot till I played this. LotRO is good but not very challenging unless you go out of your way to find yellow or orange quests and delete the 100 green/blue quests that always seem to fill up your quest log. In Vanguard I have been working on A blacksmith crafting quest that has taken me all over the island to get recipes/supplies to help the npc's prepare for a hobgoblin invasion and It has been quite challenging. Very deep gameplay and a steeper learning curve is just what the fantasy genere has been needing .

thx for reply wrender :)

I might as well do need a deep MMO afterall..  Ive been playing AC for 4 years and SWG for 3 years.  They were amazing and kept me long because of deep contents and offers lots more other than skirmish plays.

I do really need a good community to play along with Housing, Crafting, etc.  Seems that sure Vanguard is on the same page!

I can't wait !! :)  I almost finish downloading the trial ! 

LOTRO is good game, and I still love it.  But you are right Wrender the reason why I am looking for a 2nd MMO because LOTRO is no challenger at all !!  (exclude the raids, they are challenging and fun).

• mindw0rkmindw0rk Member UncommonPosts: 1,356

Both LoTRO and VG are great games. VG has better exploration, crafting and diplomacy system. It is as sucessor to Everquest 1. LoTRO is above in storyline and roleplay department, easier to play and much similar to WoW.

• RaavRaav Member Posts: 120

In order to get the Full Game after you start the Free Trial, you just need to pay a monthly subscription plan and it will start to download the whole game.  No other costs.  The Free Trial is 2Gigs and the whole game is 19Gigs.

Enjoy.

• ZippyZippy Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,412

1.  Crafting used to be important but its relevance has been eliminated by SOE.  There has been massive inflation since launch which might make it tough on new players.  But then again leveling is so easy one does need much for gear while leveling.

2.  Housing is player made but unfortunately city building has been scrapped by SOE and there really is no purpose for houses other than a bind point and storage.

3.  The player armor does look fantastic and maybe the best of any MMO.  I consider LOTR's graphics to be overall superior to Vanguard's but Vanguard's armor is much better looking.

4. Vanguar;s community is great.  Like in most small games it is tight nit and reputation matters.  There are 4 servers with roughly about a total subscriber population fo around 10k with most people residing on Seradon or Xeth.

5.  Vanguard is like most newer MMO's super solo friendly.  One can solo 1-50 entirely off quests in about 5-10 days played.  But while it is possible to reach 50 in less than 5 days played there is a lot of good group content one would miss that is pretty good even if it is all somewhat slightly unfinished.

Vanguard is fantastic game.  At its core combat mechanics, crafting mechanics and classes it is second none.  What it lacks are four things finish, fluff, population and funding.  SOE has not been funding the game.  They run it with a skeleton crew of devs which generate almost no new content and the content that does come out is normally severely bugged and untested.  The end game is very weak.  APW the games raid dungeon was released in Decemeber 2007 and was a fantastic 1st dungeon but most serious guilds finished it by Feburary 2008 and have now have been waiting for new raid content for over a year.  SOE has released some very buggy overland raid content but nothing of signigance since APW.  Two of the raids mobs Karax and Varking released last year and are still broken and unlikely to be fixed anytime soon.  It is such a shame that they do not fund this game as its a great game.  Regardless of its problems it is worth playing.  You can buy a copy and get 30 days free for under $5.  There is no reason not to try it.  But please enjoy Vanguard for what it has rather than what it is lacking.

WoW !! Thx for all the comments.

Yea I think the reason why I will invest my money on LOTRO coz I can see them still having a long way to go until the game wears out.  (they still haven't go to modor yet =p).  However, VG looks like they don't have lots of contents as you said SOE wouldn't want to fund the game and probably this is the only breaking point I am still hesitating about playing this.

I will try the game, and I'm on the trial now! Making a Cleric in Seradon.  I really hope, I can enjoy this game since I do think the community is good ! 

=)

more comment I am very well appreciate especially on the sides of the Economy and the crafting aspect.  Too bad they didn't make this game like SOE making people setting up a shop.

• boojiboyboojiboy Member UncommonPosts: 1,553

Welcome aboard :)

• AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085

The main advantages of Vanguard are:

- Best PvE classes ever.

- Extreme sight distances. Theres not fog in the distance like in other games(*). You can really see the mountains in the distance. Dunno if newer games have that also, now. But older games didnt. I absolutely love this feature.

- Extreme game world size. Often leads to complains that the game would be "empty". But its just so huge that  its easy to find chunks where you are all alone, and of course the game exists for a while so many players are highlevel. The highlevel areas of course arent empty, neither is the trial island.

Your questions:

1. Not sure if its "fully playerdriven". There is a broker where you can sell and buy your stuff.

2. Dynamic housing ? No idea what that is supposed to mean. Housing is not instanced, i.e. you really allocate one spot of a housing area in the game. Theres plenty of free house slots on my server (Halgar  / EU), dunno about the other servers.

3. Dunno if its enough for you. Theres theres a couple stuff around.

4. Community is small.

5. Yes, definitely. Every class can solo. You can level from 1 to maxlevel solo if you want to. Of course dungeons in general arent soloable.

(*) = Well, in the beginning, there was never fog at all. Later they implemented a weather system and there can now be a lot of fog, sometimes, especially in swamp areas. So much you cant see more far than ~10-20 meters. But if there isnt, you still get the original sight distances as before.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Is another game you could try otherwise: EQ2. I have a big store there selling both the stuff I craft and what I find as I adventure. Vanguard is not a bad game but it is kinda small.

EQ2 fits all your points well except that the housing is instanced. Some of the stuff I craft is purely for looks (you have a fashion slot so you can have another armor under). The community is one of the best there is. Also in EQ2 you can have a huge Guildhall, my guild have a T2, it is big enough to get lost in but we are aiming for our own castle soon.

But my advice is to do a free trial of Vanguard and one of EQ2 for that matter. LOTRO aint a bad game but it have some really bad points like the fact that you cant play evil...

In EQ2 an Ogre as example starts as evil but you can turn good and become a Paladin if you want to. It have many innovative small things that makes it a fun game. My favorite is still the Guildhall, we have all our crafting in there (and lots of other stuff) so it really feels like a second home and the guild gets very tight.

• AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085

AFAIK Vanguard has the biggest initial world size of any MMO.

So saying "Vanguard is small" is at least highly misleading.

What would be correct would be "Vanguard has a low population", which is probably what you actually wanted to say.

I would agree with that; despite its population is increasing, it is still lower than desireable. A game of this quality should have its half a million players; then it would also have a dev team large enough to squeeze out new content at the necessary speed.

• ougaritougarit Member Posts: 317

Stay on Lotro and play EQ2, forget VG you'll be disappointed because of

- low pop :this  game is unplayable

- no addon, no pack nothing

- small Tm payed by SOE

Lotro and EQ2. don't pay for a station access game.EQ2 has a lot of content and a new pack. Vanguard has nothing new since the release. this game has no future. It is still buggy. etc

• COORSCOORS Member UncommonPosts: 353

I played Vanguard when it first came out and left after the first month. At that time the bugs and lag were unbearable.

After reading some of the posts on this forum last week, I decided to give it another try. SO GLAD I DID!

The game is fantastic now. I'm having a great time and once again look forward to logging on when I get home from work. I plan on staying this time around. Give it a try. It could be the best pve mmo out today.

Nirumi, Are you in yet? Look me up on Seradon Same name Wrender! Welcome to your new obsession. I can help you tweak the game to get the most out of it! See you in Telon!

Originally posted by Adamantine

What would be correct would be "Vanguard has a low population", which is probably what you actually wanted to say.
    I would agree with that; despite its population is increasing, it is still lower than desireable. A game of this quality should have its half a million players; then it would also have a dev team large enough to squeeze out new content at the necessary speed.

I have been playing regularly for the last few weeks now and I literally have been seeing new faces every night. Was on last night at like 3 AM and there was still people running around eveywhere on the Island. Everyone I talked to was simply amazed at the game and the entire chat for the most part reflected this. People are all dumbfounded as to why Vanguard isn't the biggest MMO on the market. SOE are idiots for not realizing the potential of this game! Blows my mind.... Internet gaming's best kept secret! (maybe it is best SOE remain ignorant and fuck up the game for everyone as they have been known to do! It they do...I am done with MMO's for good . Vanguard is our last hope!

• XeonsoldierXeonsoldier Member Posts: 190
    Originally posted by Wrender

Originally posted by Adamantine

I have been playing regularly for the last few weeks now and I literally have been seeing new faces every night. Was on last night at like 3 AM and there was still people running around eveywhere on the Island. Everyone I talked to was simply amazed at the game and the entire chat for the most part reflected this. People are all dumbfounded as to why Vanguard isn't the biggest MMO on the market. SOE are idiots for not realizing the potential of this game! Blows my mind.... Internet gaming's best kept secret! (maybe it is best SOE remain ignorant and fuck up the game for everyone as they have been known to do! It they do...I am done with MMO's for good . Vanguard is our last hope!

How long have you been playing VG again?

Off and on for the last 6 months or so.

Check out my post "Best kept secret"

• XeonsoldierXeonsoldier Member Posts: 190
    Originally posted by Wrender

Off and on for the last 6 months or so.
    Check out my post "Best kept secret"

Oh I've read it, and posts like those kinda hurts the image VG already has...*shrugs* Lets not use false realities. Speak of the good and the bad. No sugar coating.

What's really sad these days is that the MMO developers have made so many bad decisions, it has come down to players doing research and homework on these companies before they buy in. Like I know for sure before I try ANY mmo, I will go so far to even pull up a credit score on the damn lead dev if I could. People want to know the ins and outs of these games. And VG is one of the ones to start with.

• ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476

I think the best graphics of  any game out there and music even AOC which comes close but Vanguard to me is still better. Spells, Sword fighting are really good. There are still a few bugs but game runs pretty smooth it has the best crafting of any game say maybe EQ2 you'll have to judge yourself. Im wanting them to come out with an expansion and i think this game then will take off if it is a good one. So far nothing has been said of any coming only that there were no plans as of now for one.

" Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
  • ethionethion Member UncommonPosts: 2,888

Silias wanted to do an expansion.  He mentioned wanting to do one this year and that it was possible.  Later he had to come back and say that SoE didn't want an expansion coming out.  So Silias basically is trying to do an expansion for free as GUs.  Thats what is happening now with the level increase new areas in the past update and this update and more yet to come.  Seems that SoE really blew a chance at making money with a real expansion.  But maybe the work the devs are doing will pay off and the game will grow and at some point SoE will wake up.

---
    Ethion