Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Stafford $78M NFL-record $41.7M guaranteed

dont know how many football fans we got on here! but saw on espn mathew staffords deal with the lions! imo this is bad move and its got bust all over it

NEW YORK – The Detroit Lions agreed to terms with Georgia quarterback Matthew Stafford on a six-year, $78 million deal that includes an NFL-record $41.7 million guaranteed, sources told Yahoo! Sports on Friday. The deal represents the largest amount of guaranteed money for any player – rookie or veteran – in NFL history, exceeding the $41 million guaranteed that defensive tackle Albert Haynesworth received from Washington at the beginning of free agency this offseason.

Stafford and Haynesworth are the only players to top the $40 million guaranteed threshold.

Two sources confirmed that Stafford had agreed to terms with Detroit but had not yet signed the deal as of Friday night. The Lions had been intent on having the top pick signed in advance of Saturday’s NFL draft. They had reached an agreement with Wake Forest linebacker Aaron Curry earlier in the week as a contingency, according to published reports, but their intent all along was to select Stafford.

Stafford, 21, will be the ninth quarterback in the past 12 years to be selected No. 1 overall, and the 17th since the AFL and NFL established a combined draft in 1967. He threw for 3,459 yards and 25 touchdowns to just 10 interceptions in leading Georgia to a 10-3 record last season.

The Lions went an NFL-record 0-16 in 2008.

The Lions like Stafford as a fit in the offense under new coordinator Scott Linehan because of the quarterback’s ability to throw deep. Linehan’s offense calls for a strong running game to develop play action for deep passes. NFL personnel people say Stafford has the strongest arm in this year’s draft.

The expectation is that Stafford will be a backup for one season to veteran Daunte Culpepper, who is under contract with Detroit for one more year as he continues his effort to revive his once successful career. The Lions also would like to upgrade their offensive line for Stafford once he becomes the starter. Stafford could become part of a strong combination with wide receiver Calvin Johnson, who was the No. 2 overall pick in 2006 and tallied 1,331 receiving yards and 12 touchdowns last season.

Stafford’s contract represents an increase of almost $7 million in guaranteed money over the six-year deal that last year’s No. 3 overall pick Matt Ryan signed with the Atlanta Falcons. Ryan received $34.75 million in guarantees from Atlanta in a deal negotiated by agents Tom Condon and Ben Dogra, who also represent Stafford. That increase of roughly 20 percent in guarantees could lead to a $50 million guarantee for a high pick next year if this pace continues.

gamertag - Swaffle House

Comments

• Rayx0rRayx0r Member Posts: 2,902

embarassed lions fan here

and ya, I was really hoping they were going to take Curry.  The guy actually wanted to play for the Lions (his dad played for them) and was willing to take much less money. 

however the more I think about it the more I have to agree, the lions need a QB.  They have..well nobody right now (cullpepper?  ya, unless he really has redefining season I have my doubts.).  I dont think stafford is the man though, and I sure as hell dont think he was worth the money.  Hes got a great arm, but hes not consistant.  Throw him in the NFL and well, its not painting a pretty picture.

Hopefully Curry will go to the second round and the lions and pick him up then, but chances are cleveland or kansas city in the first round will snag him up.

“"If you want a picture of the future, imagine a robot foot stomping on a human face -- forever."
  • ZindaihasZindaihas Member UncommonPosts: 3,662

Yeah, I saw that yesterday and almost started a thread on it myself, but I figured there weren't enough sports fans here.  It just goes to show you how desperate the Lions are to improve from last year's abysmal season.  Stafford is good, but he's nowhere near that good.  At least that's judging from his college career.  I guess there's a chance he could become a great NFL player, but it seems like a big gamble to me.

• Rayx0rRayx0r Member Posts: 2,902

oh well, curry's gone to seatle and the lions picked up stafford.  Heres hoping culpepper can pass down some wisdom and the kid can connect with Johnson

“"If you want a picture of the future, imagine a robot foot stomping on a human face -- forever."
  • olddaddyolddaddy Member Posts: 3,356

I never watched Stafford in college.

Is he good at scrambling?

If he's not, he will never, never, never get the chance to throw the ball deep down the field, and he will always be hearing footsteps behind him.

• Swafdawg23Swafdawg23 Member Posts: 390

i cant believe the raiders picked  hayward bey over michael crabtree and maclin..wtf is wrong with al davis! The Raiders really are a joke of a franchise

gamertag - Swaffle House

• SandricSandric Member UncommonPosts: 103

Thus, why I do not watch any pro sport other than Hockey.  They all irritate me with their whiny boy, I need more money attitudes (only watch Hockey because the violence out weighs my annoyance with pro players).

Major or Current Characters
    AC - The Brute lvl 85 macer -HG (retired)
    SWG - Lihone Su'alkn Master Ranger/ MCH - Flurry (Retired)
    EVE - Sulone - Cruiser Lover (Retired)
    LOTRO - Sandric lvl 50 Burg (and others)- Brandywine (Retired)
    GW2 - Sandric lvl 80 Thief - Dragonbrand (Retired)
    NeverWinter - Sandric lvl 60 Rogue - Dragonshard (Retired)
    Archage - Sandric lvl 50 everything - Naima (Active)
    Others (Lots) (Retired)

• abbabaabbaba Member Posts: 1,143

It's all a result of the Franchise quarterback being the holy grail of the NFL, and the Lions were so bad last year that they have very little to lose, they can only get better. As a side note, I feel bad for anyone drafted by the Raiders. That franchise has been sucked into its own black hole.

• DraenorDraenor Member UncommonPosts: 7,918

I have to say that I'm sad for Lions fans...you never want to pick a quarterback first before you have any tools around him...you need to put a quarterback in there when you have at least a few weapons, and some protection for him...the tight end selection with pedigrew (sp?) was a good one I think, since the guy is known as a great blocker...but they had better pick up some nice linemen tomorow if they want Stafford to last more than a season or two...Guys who get put into situations like that are always doomed to failure (David Carr, Alex Smith, anyone who has ever played in Chicago)

Oh and the NFL desperately needs to institute a rookie salarie cap next year....let the veterans earn the big money, not unproven rookies who are as likely to be a bust as they are to be half way decent (Hi Jamarcus Russel)

Your argument is like a two legged dog with an eating disorder...weak and unbalanced.

• DraenorDraenor Member UncommonPosts: 7,918
    Originally posted by Swafdawg23

i cant believe the raiders picked  hayward bey over michael crabtree and maclin..wtf is wrong with al davis! The Raiders really are a joke of a franchise

I'm not one to defend Al Davis...but I do see the logic in it - the Raiders have historically drafted fast wide recievers...fast over all other attributes...They drafted a guy who ran s 4.23 40 yard dash and can compliment Russel's ability to throw the ball down the field extremely far...the dude has a 38 inch vertical so we know that he can get up there...I think he fits with the kind of "big play" offense the Raiders are looking for.

Your argument is like a two legged dog with an eating disorder...weak and unbalanced.