Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What's wrong with instances?

2»

Comments

• miagisanmiagisan Member Posts: 5,156
    Originally posted by ericbelser

Look at how "successful" a recent instanced "open" PvP game was(n't)...PotBS.
    The more JE tries to "reward all kinds of play" the more it will fail to satisfy any of them.
    Excessive instancing is bad because it reduces the "massive" feel of the MMO and if the rewards are equal or greater, leads to endless instance play and predominantly solo/non-interactive playstyles. Excessive instancing also removes any sense of objective or purpose from PvP.

umm POTBS was all instanced combat

*edit i am an idiot....i misread your statement..ignore me :P *

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505
    Originally posted by NovaKayne

As I understand it, instances are going to be for those who are wanting an objective style of PvP.  Protect this, destroy that, etc.  Also in an area that allows more direct control over the number of pilots involved to make it more challenging.
    Nothing is challenging when a squad of 30 camps a gate.  By providing a challenging Arena or battleground style PvP it gives players without squad support or a smaller squad a chance to participate in a more meaningfull manner in the game.  It may also be needed to further a story line or back some event.
    JGE is NOT a complete SANDBOX game.  It is a ThemePark set in CAREBEAR CORE surrounded by a RvR area.
    What a novel concept.....  Something that encompasses all types of playstyles while not limiting you to one or the other.  To say that one of its areas is a deal breaker for all persons is irresponsible and childish.  To say that pilots who only stay in the CAREBARE core are wussies is RP.  The same can be said for those only in the RvR areas are Gankers. 
    Thing is, gankers can stay out there and gank each other while wussies can float around and ..... errr..... say hi and emote to each other?  The trick to this is, having a large enough carrot for these 2 styles of play to interact with each other and not stay completely isolated. 
    What do the CAREBEARS hate the most?  Ganking.  Getting jumped by 3 or more of the Hardcore PvP types who feel anything goes.  How do you combat this and let them know it is not like that?
    Instancing is a good start. 
    It allows those that feel most of the RvR peeps are only brave in large numbers, compete in a more level playing field.  It may also let them see that RvR combat is fun and exciting and entice them to join a squad or alliance that spends more time in the RvR areas. 
    Otherwise ethey are going to try that one trip out there, have a bad experience and either leave the game or complain about the ganking and another leash is put on the PvP.

Its been my experience that when Developers try to cater to all play styles equally, they build a game that is medicore in everything.

And I have no issue with them trying to take the "gank" out of the game.  I'm not a ganker, yet I play games with the mechanic because there is a certain skill required to play smart and twart the gankers.

The problem in this case is the orginal legacy Jumpgate (which was never that successful) was a farily hardcore, FFA PVP(more or less) experience and with their current model they will never make these fans of the first game happy.

While their numbers may be few, these angry folks will seem like legion on various forums around the internet.

I'll have to wait and see, might turn out to be a pretty fun game afterall.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• NovaKayneNovaKayne Member Posts: 743

Understandable Kyleran. 

It is not something simple to do and there have been many attempts to do it.  WAR is a good example of trying to appease the masses but, their PvE was lacking.  In most MMO it is the PvP that is lacking.

And no, there is no way to appease those who were fans of the original JGC.  It was a very tight knit community due to the brutality of the players that did most of the PvP in and out of the game.  Of course most of them would aggree that the forumns were just as big a part of the game as the space environment they flew in. 

It was just not something I found interesting or enjoyable.  ;)

While JGC had some really good points it was an indy production.  Both the indipendent nature and nievety of the Developers were reflected in the game.  They did a great job on it with the resources they had and the core game and engine they developed is still rock solid.  I think that now that they have matured some and have really paid their dues in the MMO Business, they are going to put out a much better product. 

This new game has me extremely interested ( to burnt to become a complete fanboi at this time due to other lackluster MMO releases ).  That and the fact that "Scorch" and his crew are not dummies by any means.  They definately push the envelope of trying to come up with something different for the MMO world.  I also think that the Auto Assault was a great learning experience on what works for the public as well. 

Say hello, To the things you've left behind. They are more a part of your life now that you can't touch them.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by miagisan

And how do you know how big the instance is? what if they are small? say you are doing some really huge mission, lots and lots of ships (say for example a World's Collide lvl 4 mission from EVE), and there is a ton of ships (40+) and all running around trying to use your speed to your advantage...what happens if you get to the edge of the instance if they are not that big? If they are that big, how do you get people who are joining up with you into it when you are already in?

You got it all wrong. Instances is about segmenting player populations and it has NOTHING to do with size. You can easily instance a large amount of space. The whole point is NOT to limie the amount of space, but the amount of players so that bandwidth and lag can be under control (and for other gameplay reasons).

• Daedalus732Daedalus732 Member Posts: 589
    Originally posted by Lustmord

It makes perfect sense for a space MMO.
    You Q for an instance and wait.

When the instance is ready, you get a "distress call" from the Gamma Sector and warp off to the instance.

If Space is really huge, you won't have to look around for hours for some pvp.

What is the problem?

The problem is you don't know how JGE is going to treat instances, much less its background or game mechanics, so you assume they will work just fine.

Instances are for single player crapfests like WoW and WAR.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by Daedalus732

Originally posted by Lustmord

It makes perfect sense for a space MMO.
    You Q for an instance and wait.

When the instance is ready, you get a "distress call" from the Gamma Sector and warp off to the instance.

If Space is really huge, you won't have to look around for hours for some pvp.

What is the problem?

The problem is you don't know how JGE is going to treat instances, much less its background or game mechanics, so you assume they will work just fine.

Instances are for single player crapfests like WoW and WAR.

WOW instances >>>> EQ campfest. I will take 5-man, 10/25-man instance over dungeons that are a check-out line with everyone waiting for respawn anyday any time.