Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The horrible zone instancing

This is one of the main reasons I left. I know this is not a bug, and it is meant to be like this, but my question is. Will this ever be removed? It really destroys the meaning of MMORPG. It limits it very much. I know having too many people in one place may lag pc's , but lets face it, you won't face 10000 people in every zone, so it's not that bad.

So, will this ever get changed, or will the zones at least have bigger pop caps?

Comments

• OldAgeJunkieOldAgeJunkie Member Posts: 207

Welcome to a year ago?. They should rename it to Age of Casters.

mmorpg's flop faster then mcdonalds cheese burgers these days.

• LynxJSALynxJSA Member RarePosts: 3,332
    Originally posted by Xtromass

This is one of the main reasons I left. I know this is not a bug, and it is meant to be like this, but my question is. Will this ever be removed? It really destroys the meaning of MMORPG. It limits it very much. I know having too many people in one place may lag pc's , but lets face it, you won't face 10000 people in every zone, so it's not that bad.

So, will this ever get changed, or will the zones at least have bigger pop caps?

From your post, it seems you are not happy with the instancing that occurs when too many players are in a zone. If that is correct, then I don't see why you have an issue. In order for that alt zone to exist there has to be at least one full zone, no? Just play in the full zone.

-- Whammy - a 64x64 miniRPG 
    RPG Quiz - can you get all 25 right? 
    FPS Quiz - how well do you know your shooters?  
  • VultureSkullVultureSkull Member UncommonPosts: 1,774
    Originally posted by Xtromass

I don't see how this destroys the meaning of MMORPG.

If so every game that has more than one server, (only game i can think of is Eve that has only 1 server), also destorys the meaning of MMORPG!?!

Instances are like mini servers on a server...............

• sigamonsigamon Member Posts: 230

yeah........ the instanced zones dont do shit to destroy the game

if you want tons of people hop into a full instance, if u want to quest alone jump onto the empty one

if your pvp'ing its great cause you have 2 or 3 zones full of the same level range people to kill.

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196

I understand what the OP is saying. Its the same reason why I quit the game back when it first came out. It just felt too restricted because of the small zones. Just being able to run in any direction and explore is a big + for me in MMOs but when I start to hit invisable walls and cant really go anywhere other than where I am till I do some kind of quest to unlock the next zone is not what I want in my MMOs.

• dhayes68dhayes68 Member UncommonPosts: 1,388

I remember the first time I got to enter Conan's castle. The room before the throne room is full of nobles. I thought, great place for a guild meeting, party, whatever.  Then found out its a single player instance.

The instancing is over done. It makes the game feel so small.

By the way, it'll never be 'fixed'. They'd need to rebuild the entire game.

• VultureSkullVultureSkull Member UncommonPosts: 1,774
    Originally posted by Korvenus

I understand what the OP is saying. Its the same reason why I quit the game back when it first came out. It just felt too restricted because of the small zones. Just being able to run in any direction and explore is a big + for me in MMOs but when I start to hit invisable walls and cant really go anywhere other than where I am till I do some kind of quest to unlock the next zone is not what I want in my MMOs.

Outside of Tortage, I think that AoC has some pretty big zones, they just go on and on an on as such exploration in AoC is quite nice and atmospheric.

Originally posted by dhayes68

I remember the first time I got to enter Conan's castle. The room before the throne room is full of nobles. I thought, great place for a guild meeting, party, whatever.  Then found out its a single player instance.
    The instancing is over done. It makes the game feel so small.
    By the way, it'll never be 'fixed'. They'd need to rebuild the entire game.

i doubt king conan would be very pleased with a bunch of people having a guild meeting in his castle. you should consider yourself lucky its single person only cause he'd probably come out of this throne room and decapitate you all

• GiveMePvPGiveMePvP Member Posts: 240

When Funcom started to develop Age of Conan 5 years ago, they didn't know how much technology would advance in the time it took to make AoC. I think they just were overly optimistic. They thought that in 5 years everyone would have amazing computers and server technology would be much better. Sadly that was not the case.

Small zones and instances were probably the number one reason why Age of Conan failed.

Originally posted by Draklon

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beating_a_dead_horse

BLAHAHAHHAHAAHA! NOW THATS COMEDIC TIMING!

• ZodanZodan Member Posts: 564

Still makes me cry how they screwed this game over with casters and zoning.

• qbangy32qbangy32 Member Posts: 681
    Originally posted by Draklon

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beating_a_dead_horse

Please use that on 99% of the posts on this website =).

• maniacfoxmaniacfox Member UncommonPosts: 171

The first time I  played Tortage I couldn't believe that I  had to zone in and out of the Thirsty Dog pub! A tiny pub, instanced? WTF???

• LimaBravoLimaBravo Member Posts: 11
    Originally posted by VultureSkull

Outside of Tortage, I think that AoC has some pretty big zones, they just go on and on an on as such exploration in AoC is quite nice and atmospheric.

I'd disagree exploration should be rewarding.

Instancing was annoying REALLY annoying, for example if a guild is online and heding to one location cant the game check and instance people entering the zone TO THEIR GUILDS INSTANCE.

But what really did it for me was the combat, nice idea destroyed by commitee thinking and poor mans consolitis.  In addition to casters being ludicrously useful.  Necromancers in the buggy combat system with the dodgy targetting were indestructible.  In one instance two Bear Shaman and an assasin couldnt take down a Necromancer 4 levels lower than them.  Thats kinda stupid.

No really.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,509

I found the instancing to be a bit extreme in the starter zone, but after I got out into the open world it really didn't seem to happen often enough to be really annoying.

Maybe I just got used to it.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• InevitableSilenceInevitableSilence Member UncommonPosts: 82

I didn't mind it. The only reason I quit Age of Conan was the overall feeling of it not being finished. All of their promised features weren't in until later. I liked the instances personally. Gave me a chance to escape griefers camping at the spawn points.

• ForumfallForumfall Member Posts: 570

I left because of that to. Sure itemization and some other aspects are problematic but this is the main point.

In tortage you have a loading screen to enter a fucking pub. Come on... It feels like a prison/cage.

I remember after the pvp patch we did some group pvp in kheshatta and all the different groups were running around on the same couple of square meters in kheshatta. There was no such thing as long chases across the map...

Another thing, there was only auction house and no playershops. Imho playershops makes cities alot more intresting and gives them atmosphere, in some other mmo's I had played you could run around shopping and negotiating prices or doing duels with people. In aoc all you see in big cities are people running by.

• DouhkDouhk Member Posts: 1,019

I hated the game back at launch for a multitude of reasons, but this one I never really understood. For the most part being, the zones are very large and easily explorable. The only zones that I have ever felt cramped in are the major cities, and Tortage. The only difference between a zone in AoC and a zone in WoW is that there's a ten second loading screen (or less) between major roads. You leave a zone in WoW the same way you leave a zone in AoC; through a specific path. Yet you have the rest of the entire zone if you have a quench to just walk around. (EDIT: Also the fact that player numbers are limited, but this factor can be seen as a positive or a negative. Honestly, I run into enough players as it is (maybe too many to my liking honestly, it's difficult on a PvP server).)

The only time I've ever felt restricted in this game was in Tortage, honestly. And I think the biggest problem with this is the illusion people give themselves, when instances, really, are only vaguely different than a persistent world. People believe what they want to believe and like to believe the worst of things... and it certainly doesn't help in AoC's situation. But seriously, with the way the devs put themselves in such a bad position with the gaming populus, who can blame those who only look at the negatives?

image If only SW:TOR could be this epic...

• GestankfaustGestankfaust Member UncommonPosts: 1,989

Instances only help the server load and your lag....it's the way that MMOs have always helped the serer load....get over it. You want a full sandbox world of no instances...try Darkfall.....

oh wait....it sucks

"This may hurt a little, but it's something you'll get used to. Relax....."