Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Curious about E3 rumor & Square Enix

I've been reading all over the net that square enix was supposed to runveil their new FF (or not FF) mmo.  E3 happened quite a while ago and I can't find any info on the net.  Anybody have any idea if this took place or not and where to find info. 

I am a huge FFXI fan and would love to see an updated mmo from square.

Thanks for any info.

Currently Playing: FFXIV:ARR
Looking Forward to: Wildstar

Comments

• MustaphaMondMustaphaMond Member UncommonPosts: 341

Rumored announcement at 2009's E3 = June 2-4

Supposedly, they will feature the game there as their new flagship title.  There's a variety of speculation about the release date given that they've been developing it for awhile (and they are using a familiar engine, of course).

You've probably already seen this in your earlier searches, but just in case you haven't:

http://squaremmo.blogspot.com/

------------------

I'm looking forward to more news too.  June seems like a long time away unfortunately... <(;^_^)>

• BrialynBrialyn Member Posts: 184

Thank you for the info.  I had not come across that blog.  Correct me if I am wrong....Rapture is the name of the new game, or is it a fill in for now?  Or is it the name of the engine behind the game (been a while since I read about that)?

Currently Playing: FFXIV:ARR
    Looking Forward to: Wildstar

everything on the net seems to show that "Rapture" isn't really the name... just a "code name."

The game engine SE is using is called the "Crystal Tools" engine.  I don't know anything about programming or developing, but from what I've read, "Rapture" will essentially run on an updated/refined version of the FFXI game engine.

Still, that doesn't mean the games will be related, or even exactly the same.  I'm sure they will be similar, but SE has consistently said the two titles would exist independently of one another (i.e., "Rapture" is not a sequel/continuation of the Final Fantasy series).  This is still unconfirmed, though (more below...).

I wish I knew more, but there's very little out there.  Just FWIW (and to give my sources... dubious though they are), here's where I pulled the Crystal Tools stuff from (though it's in other places as well):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Final_Fantasy_XI_II

That wikipedia page says it hasn't been confirmed or denied that "Rapture" will have any correlation with FFXI... BUT, interviews with actual developers/producers/etc. have indicated the two titles won't be related.

Who really knows, though...?

• toddzetoddze Member UncommonPosts: 2,150

Ya theres no real solid information out there yet. SE is the typical Asian game company as they love to keep things quite until they are ready to tell. The game has been in development since 2005 and the same team that made FFXI is working on it. That is about all the facts there are.

My personal opinion and only my opinion is as follows (so you haters out there it does no good to flame):

I think one reason that they are keeping a tight lid on the new MMO is to keep the FFXI players, well still playing FFXI. Its not to far out to think that the new MMO will be somewhat similar to FFXI in play style, and FFXI is different than anything else out in the market. So with that releasing the new MMO will only compete with FFXI. It is bad buisness practise to compete with yourself. So I assume they are waiting for FFXI to loose a certian number of subs before they give any info on the MMO. FFXI has done just that as of recently (according to SE). I forgot where I saw the numbers but SE even said FFXI has lost a good number of subs within that last 6-8 months. So its only logical that SE will start promoting their new MMO now that FFXI is on its last leg.

As long as they have been working on it and since its a game engine that they are very familiar with, I wouldnt be surpised one bit to see a possible release in Q4 09.

Waiting for:EQ-Next, ArcheAge (not so much anymore)
    Now Playing: N/A
    Worst MMO: FFXIV
    Favorite MMO: FFXI

Originally posted by toddze

So I assume they are waiting for FFXI to loose a certian number of subs before they give any info on the MMO. FFXI has done just that as of recently (according to SE). I forgot where I saw the numbers but SE even said FFXI has lost a good number of subs within that last 6-8 months. So its only logical that SE will start promoting their new MMO now that FFXI is on its last leg.

Yeah, you're right about the "last leg"/replacing FFXI thing.  Here's a post from the blog that discusses this very issue: http://squaremmo.blogspot.com/2009/03/rapture-to-replace-ffxi.html

It's like everything else though.  Some believe SE will shut down FFXI's servers when Rapture comes out, others believe they will leave them up/merge servers/whatever...  Like you said, Asian game companies have very good poker faces when it comes to actual verifiable information.

I also agree that a Q4 2009 release is possible.  If the game is actually ready, it would be smart to release pre-Xmas... both to pick up those sales AND to prevent Aion from getting it's foot in the door, so to speak...