Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I never raid

Kaynos1972Kaynos1972 Member Posts: 2,316

Not true, i did raid, maybe 5-6 times and i just dont like it.   I seem to be an exception, cause at 80, that and PVP is pretty much the only thing to do.   I just dont see the point of doing the same set of dungeons 100 times over hoping to get better gear.... better gear to do what again ?  Raid even tougher places....?

For me leveling up to 80 meant it was time to re-roll, after 3 80's i just did'nt see the point of continuing playing this game.  Anyone else like me ?

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • bryan1980bryan1980 Member Posts: 182
    Originally posted by Aguitha

Not true, i did raid, maybe 5-6 times and i just dont like it.   I seem to be an exception, cause at 80, that and PVP is pretty much the only thing to do.   I just dont see the point of doing the same set of dungeons 100 times over hoping to get better gear.... better gear to do what again ?  Raid even tougher places....?
    For me leveling up to 80 meant it was time to re-roll, after 3 80's i just did'nt see the point of continuing playing this game.  Anyone else like me ?

I really don't see why people say " I don't raid" but they do heroics.    ' Raiding'  Naxx10 is no different than doing an heroic.

WOW has more different options at endgame then any other game.

• CzzarreCzzarre Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,742

I am like you, and I left.

IN the end, Raiding is a huge part of WoW. Its not the only thing, but its the main part of the game

I left in search of other games. May be something for you to consider as well

• arctarusarctarus Member UncommonPosts: 2,581

Same, i just re-roll, but so far only 1 lvl 80 (war), 1 at lvl 65 (lock) and 1 at 18 (hunter)  :D.

Just roll an alliance pally last nite, to see the other side of the game till 80. Hopefully this time i can stay all the way without deleting the toon.

But what will i do once i hit 80? Most probably cancel my sub and wait for another game...

RIP Orc Choppa

• ronan32ronan32 Member Posts: 1,418
    Originally posted by bryan1980

I really don't see why people say " I don't raid" but they do heroics.    ' Raiding'  Naxx10 is no different than doing an heroic.

lol wow has the least options in end game..all you can do is raid. to me thats not a lot of options

Originally posted by ronan32

Originally posted by bryan1980

lol wow has the least options in end game..all you can do is raid. to me thats not a lot of options

1. Raiding

2. Wintergrasp

3. Reputations

4. Crafting

5. BGs

6. Heroic dungeons

7. Acheivements

8. Arena

9. Daily quests

10. Collecting (mounts, pets, tabards)

11. Holidays

12 Coliseum

Everything on that list are things that I've done in the past week with my main that have 'advanced' my character.  

1.   I raided Nax 25, Ulduar 10 and Ulduar 25 this week.  I probably won't do Ulduar 10 any more though

2.   I did Wintergrasp probably 5 times in the past week, including doing Vault 10 and 25.   

3.   I did some work on the Hodir rep, the last rep that is not exalted.  

4.   I gathered a ton of herbs, made a bunch of the new glyphs and found one of the new rare glyphs (and made a bundle on the AH).   Also gathered and sold a lot of the new black jelly

5.  I do the daily battleground almost every day, and sometimes do SotA a few times just for fun.

6.   I probably ran 5 heroic dungeons this week.  Usually I run more, but I did extra raiding this week. I almost always do the daily heroic.

7.   I did some of the acheivements this week.. raided stormwind and killed the king (last one I needed), I also did one of the fishing acheivements... also finished exploring some of the lower EK zones.  Also solo'd BFD for the achievement

8.  I did my 10 arena matches and even won a few :)  

9.   I do almost all of the daily quests every day (25), which includes the cooking, fishing, battleground, heroic and rep ones.  I also  do some of the ship ones just for money.

10.  Fished unsuccessfully for the new turtle mount, but got my squire and a pet from the oracle egg.

11.  No holidays going on right now, but Noble Garden and Childrens week are coming up soon.

12.  Did all the coliseum quests every day.

So yeah.. I raid, but the majority of my time was spent doing other things, all of which advanced my character.

• TerranahTerranah Member UncommonPosts: 3,575

I don't like raiding much either, although I've done it from time to time.  I won't lie, I've seen some pretty awesome stuff in raids, and you really get a sense of pride when you do something that is pivotal to the raids survival/success.

But atleast for me there are several downsides.  I will list some of the downsides:

1) I have a rotating work schedule that makes it difficult to commit in advance.

2) Sometimes I get called in to work due to short staffing.

3) When I do get a weekend off, my wife has them off too.  Some games have raid timers and lot of guilds raid on the weekends.  It's hard to put the wife off to play a game for 3 to 5 hours. 

4) Too much downtime for me.  My work is fast paced, and you are constantly juggling a minimum of 5 things at a time.  So to sit for an hour while the raid forms up and people drop and add and drop and add....I usually just don't have the patience.

5) In a raid, my role is limited.  I end up using the same few skills over an over and over.  I don't mind so much if it's content outside a raid because I can always stop and take a break.  But in a raid, you are kinda stuck in this repititious monotonous hell.

6) I like being in control.  In a raid, the raid leader or group leader will assign tasks and you do what they say.  And too many times there is someone who does something stupid and we wipe.  Or worse, I do something stupid and we wipe, lol.  It can happen...

7) The time vs reward incentive is too low for me.  If I spend 5 hours in a raid and pissed away a good portion of my day, I want to get a piece of armor or a weapon or something good, otherwise while I leave feeling unsatisfied.

These are just my limitations and preferences.  I realize some people love to raid.

Originally posted by Terranah

I don't like raiding much either, although I've done it from time to time.  I won't lie, I've seen some pretty awesome stuff in raids, and you really get a sense of pride when you do something that is pivotal to the raids survival/success.

But atleast for me there are several downsides.  I will list some of the downsides:

1) I have a rotating work schedule that makes it difficult to commit in advance.
    2) Sometimes I get called in to work due to short staffing.
    3) When I do get a weekend off, my wife has them off too.  Some games have raid timers and lot of guilds raid on the weekends.  It's hard to put the wife off to play a game for 3 to 5 hours. 
    4) Too much downtime for me.  My work is fast paced, and you are constantly juggling a minimum of 5 things at a time.  So to sit for an hour while the raid forms up and people drop and add and drop and add....I usually just don't have the patience.
    5) In a raid, my role is limited.  I end up using the same few skills over an over and over.  I don't mind so much if it's content outside a raid because I can always stop and take a break.  But in a raid, you are kinda stuck in this repititious monotonous hell.
    6) I like being in control.  In a raid, the raid leader or group leader will assign tasks and you do what they say.  And too many times there is someone who does something stupid and we wipe.  Or worse, I do something stupid and we wipe, lol.  It can happen...
    7) The time vs reward incentive is too low for me.  If I spend 5 hours in a raid and pissed away a good portion of my day, I want to get a piece of armor or a weapon or something good, otherwise while I leave feeling unsatisfied.

These are just my limitations and preferences.  I realize some people love to raid.

Yeah, most of what you say is true about raiding.   I would look for a group/guild who pugs Nax and get on their friends list.  The group I do Vault with is just a bunch of different people.   Nax will keep getting faster and faster as a larger percentage of your pug group gets higher gear.   I pugged Nax25 this week with just about 10 regulars than other people we picked up from trade chat. 

You will never be cutting edge... but at least you'll see the content a few times.  Probably by the time you've seen Naxx a few times, people will be pugging Ulduar

In Vanilla WOW and BC, I was in your situation.  I never could commit to a schedule and I hated the whole 'leadership' issue.  When I could find PUG raids, I never really thought about gear, I just wanted to see the content and experience the fights.

• BhoogrenBhoogren Member Posts: 18

I hit the wall also.

I canceled my subscription the other day and am looking for a fun game with a better community that is less like job and gives me the feeling of having fun.

Good Luck in your search.

• APRAuroreAPRAurore Member Posts: 330

I don't raid yet I still manage to find lots of stuff to do in WoW. Because of my job, I am up early which means I have only a few hours/night maximum I can allot to raiding if I feel up to it. I usually don't because my job extremely physically demanding. Do I feel like I'm missing something? No. I did tons of raiding in DAoC's ToA and in other games. I hate raiding with a passion and will always find ways to get out of it. Yet, I still play WoW and have played WoW a lot.

Back in EvE. Started with BatMUD. Main MMOs have been EvE and DAoC.

• VrazuleVrazule Member Posts: 1,095

You are not the exception.  Less than 20% of WoW's player base raids.  As a matter of fact, that general percentage goes for any game out there, with possible exception of EQ Live which probably only has raiders playing after all these years.

I don't like raiding either and I have re-rolled several times and like all the raiding games before this, I move on after I get tired of the lower end content.  It never ceases to amaze me that developers are so hell bent on supporting and catering to such a small subset of the over all player base, giving them the highest progression and best gear.  Makes me wonder just how incredibly popular a game could be if they treated other play styles equally.

My hope is that Bioware will be the first MMO company to treat every play style equally, not giving any of them a leg up.  That alone could give Blizzard some real competition, especially if SWTOR turns out to be the great game it appears to be.

With PvE raiding, it has never been a question of being "good enough". I play games to have fun, not to be a simpering toady sitting through hour after hour of mind numbing boredom and fawning over a guild master in the hopes that he will condescend to reward me with shiny bits of loot. But in games where those people get the highest progression, anyone who doesn't do that will just be a moving target for them and I'll be damned if I'm going to pay money for the privilege. - Neanderthal

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945
    Originally posted by Vrazule

You are not the exception.  Less than 20% of WoW's player base raids.  As a matter of fact, that general percentage goes for any game out there, with possible exception of EQ Live which probably only has raiders playing after all these years.

I don't like raiding either and I have re-rolled several times and like all the raiding games before this, I move on after I get tired of the lower end content.  It never ceases to amaze me that developers are so hell bent on supporting and catering to such a small subset of the over all player base, giving them the highest progression and best gear.  Makes me wonder just how incredibly popular a game could be if they treated other play styles equally.

My hope is that Bioware will be the first MMO company to treat every play style equally, not giving any of them a leg up.  That alone could give Blizzard some real competition, especially if SWTOR turns out to be the great game it appears to be.

The problem with small group content is that it is easily conquered.  Not by some elite group of professional gamers that have beta tested it, but by average players.  Until some creative developer figures out a way for solo/small group content to be as challenging as raids, don't expect to see gear on par.  All that will accomplish is a further breaking down of community as guilds boil down to "groups" to complete the easiest content in the game for the same rewards as those gained by raiding. 

Remove the raids from wow and you still have 95% of the game left (just a guess).  Blizzard isn't focusing on raids, they do more for end game style gameplay than any other mmo out right now.  Please don't read that as my endorsement of wow having the perfect endgame content, but it does offer the most activities end game that I can think of.

They could add some nice things like housing or maybe pvp control areas like keeps/dungeons, but overall wow has a great endgame even outside of raiding.  Find some way to energize community for more RP involvement, etc. 

Raiding is just a high profile activity and as someone else above stated, the majority of wow players don't raid. 

• APRAuroreAPRAurore Member Posts: 330

If you want more challenge in small group content, go with less people. That is guaranteed to make it more challenging!

Back in EvE. Started with BatMUD. Main MMOs have been EvE and DAoC.

• faxnadufaxnadu Member UncommonPosts: 940

m0lly is like op and never gona go back in that game!

• Ramonski7Ramonski7 Member UncommonPosts: 2,662

My guild raids Thursday through Sunday, from 10am CT to 1pm. And my wife and I tackle achievements Friday nights until Monday night, whenever we can squeeze in time. In between that I work on reputations, cooking and fishing (for raid food), dailies, some light PvP battlegrounds and leveling one 1 of my other 3 70's from time to time.

This week it was all about Noblegarden with the wife. She was determined to knock out the achievement before our usual Monday deadline (Monday is family day with our 2 kids). So we were all over Azeroth hunting eggs and collecting chocolates!

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

• frying_panfrying_pan Member Posts: 34
    Originally posted by Vrazule 

You are not the exception.  Less than 20% of WoW's player base raids.
    Complete rubbish. Why do you people keep making up statistics? According wowjutsu and wowprogess over 30% of guilds had downed Vashj and Kael pre 2.4. You know, those 2 terrible nasty bosses that were sooooooooooooooooooooo hard that people like you claim that only 0.00000000001% of WOW players downed.
    2.4 removed Hyjal/BT attunements and even more people saw this content.
    Its like the crap that only 5% of guilds SAW lvl 60 Naxxramas. No, only 8% of guilds downed Kel'Thuzad. A HELL of a lot more killed at least 1 boss in Naxx.  But that was mainly due to the fact that Naxx was released so close to 2.0. Naxx came out in June 2006. Patch 2.0 hit in early Dec 2006 and people stopped raiding. So Naxx was only actively raided as an endgame instance for 6 months. And considering that a LOT of people only joined WoW in late 2005 and early 2006 they never had the time to level up, clear ZG, Onyxia, MC, BWL, AQ20, at least to Twin Emps and THEN go into Naxx. Why do you think Blizzard front loaded most of the raid content for BC? 
    Morale of this story? Stop making stuff up.

• SikhanderSikhander Member UncommonPosts: 220

Zorn - it does not add up. I analyzed my own server after some posts by you and Templarga and what came out was this (pre Ulduar):

"I just went through the guilds that normally post on our server forums (which is far from all). Out of 49 guilds, 33 has defeated everything (in 10-man and 25-man format). Only 8 guilds had not compleded Naxx. And 10 had not defeated Malygos.

These guilds represent 40% of all level 80s on my server (using armory and warcraftrealms). When going through warcraftrealms and checking on guilds that do not regularly post on our forums (we have alot of russian guilds that obviously have their own forums) out of the 10 first guilds I checked ALL had defeated Naxx and roughly half had defeated EoE and Malygos (another 10% so now we are up to 50% of all level 80s on the server).

Assuming that not all players are interested in raiding (at all) I would go as far as to say that close to everyone that raids at all has defeated Naxx on my server, 2/3 of those have then also defeated Malygos etc.

Just as a side note: My server is in the EU and is not a crazy raidcentric server. Just an old middle of the road server."

I actually have not seen anything to support your claims Zorn. When we downed KT back in Vanilla every guild that had raided anything in WoW downed a few bosses (Instructor and Anub at a minimum). I do agree with you though that in vanilla WoW raiding excluded too many people. In TBC they got it almost right however.

• ThradarThradar Member Posts: 949
    Originally posted by templarga

Don't raid for gear. Raid for other reasons. Raid to help others learn the fights. Raid to see new things. Raid to hang out with friends. Think of gear as a side benefit of it and it will no longer seem as grindy or repetitive. I love the people in my guild and enjoy raiding with them. I have never raided just to ger gear.
    With that said, it also helps to break the raiding up. Do some quests, work on some achievements, explore, PVP, craft, do whatever else you need to to break up the monotony you feel. It helps alot.

People do not raid for ANY of those ancillary reasons.  They raid for 2 reasons.  1)  To see the content at least once.  2)  Gear.

Any raiding beyond each first boss kill is solely for the sake of silly gear.  I know, I fell in to this trap when I played the game.  Then realized how silly it all was and hung it up.

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945
    Originally posted by Sikhander

Zorn - it does not add up. I analyzed my own server after some posts by you and Templarga and what came out was this (pre Ulduar):
    "I just went through the guilds that normally post on our server forums (which is far from all). Out of 49 guilds, 33 has defeated everything (in 10-man and 25-man format). Only 8 guilds had not compleded Naxx. And 10 had not defeated Malygos.

These guilds represent 40% of all level 80s on my server (using armory and warcraftrealms). When going through warcraftrealms and checking on guilds that do not regularly post on our forums (we have alot of russian guilds that obviously have their own forums) out of the 10 first guilds I checked ALL had defeated Naxx and roughly half had defeated EoE and Malygos (another 10% so now we are up to 50% of all level 80s on the server).

Assuming that not all players are interested in raiding (at all) I would go as far as to say that close to everyone that raids at all has defeated Naxx on my server, 2/3 of those have then also defeated Malygos etc.

Just as a side note: My server is in the EU and is not a crazy raidcentric server. Just an old middle of the road server."
    I actually have not seen anything to support your claims Zorn. When we downed KT back in Vanilla every guild that had raided anything in WoW downed a few bosses (Instructor and Anub at a minimum). I do agree with you though that in vanilla WoW raiding excluded too many people. In TBC they got it almost right however.

Not all wow players are level 80.  I think that is the first oversight in your analysis which would cover a lot of players.  There are a lot of unknowns that wowjutsu and wowarmory cannot account for.  Alts for example. 

There is a comment from blizzard that gets posted every once in a while where they talk about how many non-raiding casual players they have.  I can assume more people (percentage wise) raid now than vanilla wow or BC, which is a large reason for the focus on 10 man raids and the change from 40 to 25 size raids.

• SikhanderSikhander Member UncommonPosts: 220
    Originally posted by Daffid011

Originally posted by Sikhander

Not all wow players are level 80.  I think that is the first oversight in your analysis which would cover a lot of players.  There are a lot of unknowns that wowjutsu and wowarmory cannot account for.  Alts for example. 

There is a comment from blizzard that gets posted every once in a while where they talk about how many non-raiding casual players they have.  I can assume more people (percentage wise) raid now than vanilla wow or BC, which is a large reason for the focus on 10 man raids and the change from 40 to 25 size raids.

It is not an oversight Daffid. The whole argument was whether raiding is exclusive or inclusive. I argued that raiding was inclusive (from mid-through TBC and onwards) but was to easy in WotLK since just a few months after WotLK release everyone had run out of new content to explore (so only the gear grind left). Non-80s have an abundance of content so they should not be part of that analysis.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

Nope but i don't have 3 80's .. only one.

You should at least go see each of the raid dungeon once. They are content very well done.

Plus, you can obviously still PvP. WG is fun.