Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New Dark Age of Camelot Server

Hi, I am trying to petition for a new server for Dark Age of Camelot.  Please use this thread to discuss the idea, although the poll is targeted towards the entire MMORPG community.  Would you play Dark Age of Camelot if the game opened a brand new server, regardless of the rule set?

Comments

• CzzarreCzzarre Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,742

I dont believe a new server is needed for DAOC. MOst often new servers are released due to overcrowding or changes in rulesets. Neither of these are happening in DAOC. Fact is, plenty of DAOC serrvers are underpopulated..its like a new server.

If anything classic is currently more popular that TOA servers... So Should a new server be created, a classic server would likeky have the best results. A shame Origins was canned for the time being...I miss the old Emain Milegate fights

Die HIbbies!

• PromeusPromeus Member UncommonPosts: 36
    Originally posted by Czzarre

I dont believe a new server is needed for DAOC. MOst often new servers are released due to overcrowding or changes in rulesets. Neither of these are happening in DAOC. Fact is, plenty of DAOC serrvers are underpopulated..its like a new server.
    If anything classic is currently more popular that TOA servers... So Should a new server be created, a classic server would likeky have the best results. A shame Origins was canned for the time being...I miss the old Emain Milegate fights
    Die HIbbies!

You do not understand what the OP is trying to say and why. I can read his mind I swear because I am the same way.

He wants a new server so everyone can start on the same basis he want to be in competition with new players not playing catch up to whatever the level cap is now in DAOC. Does this make sense?

• SyriSyri Member UncommonPosts: 230

The level cap never changed, always was and still is 50. Sure, they added a lot in after you hit 50, but that's still the level cap.

To get to 50, in modern daoc, takes so little time it's stupid. When I first started playing, it took me months to get my first level 50. Now, you can have one in hours even, if not a week or so at most.

A new server with the current levelling pace for daoc just wouldn't work, as the "fresh" start wouldn't take long at all to be countered a dozen times over. The first 50 would probably be the same day the server went live, the first realm rank 5 would be within a month, and would be someone who'd done all the content since launch, got the top crafted gear etc already.

What people need to do is accept that Mythic decided daoc is a pvp game. Anyone who liked the pve side of it, such as myself, Mythic have no place for you. All it's about now is rush to 50 and break some heads sooner than ever in rvr. The introduction of the /level to get an instant level 20 once you got a 50 was the first of many steps they took to show that pve was little more than a side interest for them.

Course, this is all just my take on it, but as a fan of the pve that was in the game, I do feel this reflects the path the developers have taken with it now, as there's just nobody really doing any of the old, challenging pve now. Nobody grouping. Why would you, when you can solo to 50 in a day? why spend a week looking for groups to pull goblins in lyonesse, when you could have your own cozy instance, tuned to your level, that you can repeat as much as you like?

------------------------------
    Currently playing: Rift

former player of: DAoC, Everquest 2, Guild Wars, SWG (pre-NGE), WoW, Warhammer online, LotR:O

• vladwwvladww Member UncommonPosts: 417
    Originally posted by Syri

The level cap never changed, always was and still is 50. Sure, they added a lot in after you hit 50, but that's still the level cap.
    To get to 50, in modern daoc, takes so little time it's stupid. When I first started playing, it took me months to get my first level 50. Now, you can have one in hours even, if not a week or so at most.
    A new server with the current levelling pace for daoc just wouldn't work, as the "fresh" start wouldn't take long at all to be countered a dozen times over. The first 50 would probably be the same day the server went live, the first realm rank 5 would be within a month, and would be someone who'd done all the content since launch, got the top crafted gear etc already.
    What people need to do is accept that Mythic decided daoc is a pvp game. Anyone who liked the pve side of it, such as myself, Mythic have no place for you. All it's about now is rush to 50 and break some heads sooner than ever in rvr. The introduction of the /level to get an instant level 20 once you got a 50 was the first of many steps they took to show that pve was little more than a side interest for them.
    Course, this is all just my take on it, but as a fan of the pve that was in the game, I do feel this reflects the path the developers have taken with it now, as there's just nobody really doing any of the old, challenging pve now. Nobody grouping. Why would you, when you can solo to 50 in a day? why spend a week looking for groups to pull goblins in lyonesse, when you could have your own cozy instance, tuned to your level, that you can repeat as much as you like?

My take on it too

Playing : Uncharted Waters Online

• PromeusPromeus Member UncommonPosts: 36

wow I had no idea how much it has changed it took me a long time to reach max level...I played before the first expansion was released....I remember slaying dragons and trying to kill the giant worm spawning boss on the bottom of darkness falls and always failing.

• demcdemc Member Posts: 292

I have very fond memories of DAoC both in RvR and PvE. I ended up keeping my home on COOP server in the end and made a LOT of friends there. DAoC will never be the same as it was in the early years. For one thing I have changed and another DAoC has changed.

I remember 8 months ago when I loaded up the game again and resubbed. I was happy to be back in the world but yet I was saddened that all my close friends had left it for greener pastures. I tried to rekindle the feeling I had 6 years before and it just didn't happen. I had 7 chars at level 50 and 15 chars over level 40. I had played my heart out in this game and enjoyed it so much yet this time it just did not seem to spark interest. Well I deleted all the chars I did not keep any of them or none of my gold. I started fresh. After a week I still could not get into the game so I panicked and got Mythic to get me back 6 of the chars. LOL

Anyway, DAoC is just not the DAoC I remember. I think it was me more than the game that changed.

• logangregorlogangregor Member Posts: 1,524

What people need to do is accept that Mythic decided daoc is a pvp game. Anyone who liked the pve side of it, such as myself, Mythic have no place for you. All it's about now is rush to 50 and break some heads sooner than ever in rvr.

The only part of your post I enjoyed.

BUT I REALLY ENJOYED IT!!

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508
    Originally posted by Promeus

wow I had no idea how much it has changed it took me a long time to reach max level...I played before the first expansion was released....I remember slaying dragons and trying to kill the giant worm spawning boss on the bottom of darkness falls and always failing.

Your post explains why I voted no.  A new server with the current rule set would be useless. The origins server idea had merit because it would have taken the game back to what I feel was its most enjoyable phasse, pre TOA/New Frontiers.  That sort of server I'd give a try, (or a reborn Mordred) but the current ruleset, no.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Kaelaan21Kaelaan21 Member UncommonPosts: 349

Two things:

A) The Origins ruleset would have flopped and they know it. Which is why they delayed and never actually released it. The origin's ruleset was not how it used to be but more of a "if we were to release the game back then knowing what we know now" ruleset. It would be a different game. May have been great.. may have really sucked, but all it would be is a new game skinned with the new graphics in a game world mapped out simular to what we used to have.

B) Yes - 50 is the cap. However, new character's unless pimped around by RR roaming groups will have absolutely no chance against a RR10+ character. The high RR character can simply drop all his/her skills down much lower and spread them out across the board and then spell craft to raise them all to cap. Not to mention all of the active abilities and passive bonuses.

So, yes. You can tell people that max level is 50 and it only takes a couple days to reach and maybe about a week (casually) to get yourself equip. Then they will go out in the frontier and get the snot whipped out of them until they hit RR4 or RR5. So, they will stick to the zerg and hope they get enough RPs to get their realm rank up high enough to have a chance solo or offer any value in an 8man.

That said - I would vote an absolute no. DAoC doesn't need yet another server to divide it's population. Personally, with all of the ToA changes they made over the past year - I think the classic ruleset was a mistake. They should have overhauled ToA completely when they saw the numbers fall and received feedback why. If there was no classic and the ToA rules were fixed 3 years ago - the numbers on the two existing clusters would be slightly higher.

• LokyLoky Member UncommonPosts: 182

A new server maybe.. only if it was Origins. Even then , with the addtion of all the quests it will still be easy to populate in no time . I liked the guard tasks, DF camping even the epic quests. But, I had a ton of fun mob grinding this game for some reason. There just seemed to be so many camps back in the day.

I wish there was a massive petition for a Dark Age 2. If i had the time and web knowledge id love to make a fan site or something, but damn life always gets in the way .