Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Some questions before downloading the trial

As the trial download is quite massive (over 7 Gigs), I'd like to know few things about the game before I start to downoald it.

1. How is the day/night cycle? Is it 24 hours like in WoW or maybe something like in EQ2?

2. Does money (gold) play important role in this game? I mean does it really make difference if you have alot of cash or nothing at all? What kind of stuff the money is spend for?

3. Is the crafting meaningful? How is the player made gear compared to drops? Is it profitable?

4. How about the gathering? What kind of recources players can gather?

5. I've heard that there is no actual end game in Lotro. Is it true?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• PapadamPapadam Member Posts: 2,102
    Originally posted by Hakkapeto

As the trial download is quite massive (over 7 Gigs), I'd like to know few things about the game before I start to downoald it.

1. How is the day/night cycle? Is it 24 hours like in WoW or maybe something like in EQ2?
    No the day/night cycle is much faster (4 hours maybe?).. Some quests and mob spawns are affected by day/night
    2. Does money (gold) play important role in this game? I mean does it really make difference if you have alot of cash or nothing at all? What kind of stuff the money is spend for?
    Making money is pretty easy in this game, you wont hav to grind for money. There are gold-sinks like housing, repairs, pots, bying stuff from AH.
    3. Is the crafting meaningful? How is the player made gear compared to drops? Is it profitable?
    Crafting was very good before Mines of Moria, now its not that good. Still crafting can be usefull while leveling but takes alot of time. I think jewellers and schoolars are probably the most usefull at higher levels, making consumables.
    Mine ore, cut wood, hides from animals andschoolars collect ancient texts
    Yes there is "end-game". Lots of instances/dungeons, some rading, PvMP. But there isnt as much focus on end game as other games but when you reach level 60 you will have plenty to do.
    Thanks in advance.
    Hope you enjoy the game!

If WoW = The Beatles
    and WAR = Led Zeppelin
    Then LotrO = Pink Floyd

• trancejeremytrancejeremy Member UncommonPosts: 1,222

1) There is one, but it's not set to the real time. It's like every 6 hours, I think? Really neat except one thing - the moon is always full. (Also, the stars have no color, which bugs me a little, since in real life many are noticeably a certain color)

2) Horse is the only thing I've really spent a lot on. 4 1/2 gold.

3) Crafted gear is better compared to random mob drops (which are generally vendor trash), but generally are worse than quest rewards.  Only the "critted" stuff is actually decent, and those are produced on a critical success roll. Unfortunately, the amount of materials needed to

For instance, I am level 43 and am a weaponsmith. I am about halfway to mastering the tier that will let me produce critted 31st and 35th level weapons.  So yeah, it's completely worthless to me, using those items.

And with Moria, weaponsmithing is worthless for those above level 50, thanks to legendary weapons. (Except for the dual wielding champions, who sort of got hosed by the legendary system, and need a off-hand weapon).

So basically it's mostly a time sink. I guess early on and once you hit the level cap it might be worth doing, but for the most part it's pointless.

4) It depends on your vocation (that gives you 3 crafting or gathering skills).  I am an armsman, I think, so beside weapon crafting I can do prospecting and woodworking. Prospecting lets me gather ores from mines all over the place.

If I had the forrester profession, you can harvest wood (often nearby mines) and convert hides from animals into boiled hides. There's also scholar, which lets scholars get artifacts from urns and vases and such in ruins.

There's also farming. Basically you well, farm on a given plot of land, then gather crops.  One of my alt has this, sort of fun.

5) Well, there's a level cap. As to what to do, there's apparently not a whole lot, just a few raids. The recent update was supposed to add a new level 60 raid, but  it was badly broken, some sort of exploit that let people do it as many times as they wanted a day So it's been closed.

Most people make alts or grind for deeds, apparently. Deeds are another way of improving your character. You generally have to kill ridiuculous amounts of a certain monster, and end up getting a +1 to a given trait (which have various positive effects)

If you can, you might read the official forums. Lots of pitchforks being brandished of late.

R.I.P. City of Heroes and my 17 characters there

• MrbloodworthMrbloodworth Member Posts: 5,615
    Originally posted by trancejeremy

For instance, I am level 43 and am a weaponsmith. I am about halfway to mastering the tier that will let me produce critted 31st and 35th level weapons.  So yeah, it's completely worthless to me, using those items.
    And with Moria, weaponsmithing is worthless for those above level 50, thanks to legendary weapons. (Except for the dual wielding champions, who sort of got hosed by the legendary system, and need a off-hand weapon).

Except for the fact that Weapon smiths can craft legendary items..... Try joining the crafting guild there Trance. Your personal crafting level is your own doing, YOUR ability to craft is worthless to you, however crafting as a whole is NOT, if you could make weapons that fit your level, you would.The crafting system is one of the most balanced in any game, and is very comparable to loot drops of any kind.

----------
    "Anyone posting on this forum is not an average user, and there for any opinions about the game are going to be overly critical compared to an average users opinions." - Me

"No, your wrong.." - Random user #123

"Hello person posting on a site specifically for MMO's in a thread on a sub forum specifically for a particular game talking about meta features and making comparisons to other titles in the genre, and their meta features.

How are you?" -Me

• daeandordaeandor Member UncommonPosts: 2,695
    Originally posted by Hakkapeto

Thanks in advance.

1. answered by others

2.  As with any mmo, money is important to those that feel they need to buy "stuff."  You will need cash for your horse at 35, and with the increased xp rate, it is actually difficult to have the gold needed at 35.  You will need cash for repairing your gear later in game.  By the time you are 60 and keeping the same gear every day, you are going to repair, alot.  And it will cost you a fair share of silver.  You can also spend money on a house.  You will need cash for consumables.  People in groups will expect you to have the proper consumables (potions) for instances, and if you don't have them, it may actually mean an unsuccessful instance run.  See my comment on player gear below also.

3.  Crafting is meaningful if you can stay ahead of the power curve.  There are only 2 times crafted gear is NOT as good or better than quest and dropped gear:  between levels 40 and 47 and once you start moria instances and can wear the appropriate armor (58+).  Beyond that, crafted gear is better although some reward gear is as good and may suit your character better.  Note that "better" crafted gear is the kind that requires a critical roll in making and is typically very expensive for the level it is intended.  I normally don't recommend someone get critted crafted gear until they hit about level 31.

4.  Resources are scattered throughout the world.  If you have the skill to gather it, you also have the skill to track it (on radar).  If you are just starting, forget learning anything other than Explorer.  That will give you access to forestry (gather wood) and prospector (gather ore).  Gather your resources and sell them on the AH.  Forget the other crafting until you make an alt.  Seriously.

5.  If, by endgame, you mean something to do at 60, then LOTRO has plenty to do at 60.  If, by endgame, you mean giant raids that take hours in preparation and hours to complete with only a slight chance of getting something useful, then LOTRO does not really have much of that.  There are several 3,6, and 12 man instances though intended for high level characters.  There is one 24-player instance.  If, by endgame, you mean a robust PvP system designed with tangible rewards and balance, then LOTRO does not have it.  You can participate in Player vs Monster Player, which might satisfy a casual pvper.

Monster play is fun, but rather hard at first.

----------
    "Anyone posting on this forum is not an average user, and there for any opinions about the game are going to be overly critical compared to an average users opinions." - Me

"Hello person posting on a site specifically for MMO's in a thread on a sub forum specifically for a particular game talking about meta features and making comparisons to other titles in the genre, and their meta features.

How are you?" -Me

• aurickaurick Member Posts: 317
    Originally posted by Mrbloodworth

Originally posted by trancejeremy

Except for the fact that Weapon smiths can craft legendary items..... Try joining the crafting guild there Trance. Your personal crafting level is your own doing, YOUR ability to craft is worthless to you, however crafting as a whole is NOT, if you could make weapons that fit your level, you would.The crafting system is one of the most balanced in any game, and is very comparable to loot drops of any kind.

While I didn't use many self-crafted items on my main character, he has been the bomb for creating gear that my alt and other low level friends use.  As soon as we hit level 27 and could equip the next tier of armor, I used my tailoring to create all sorts of stuff that just can't be touched by quest rewards or most world drops. 

This isn't easy street, though.  It eats through a lot of resources, and for the very best items that I can craft I still need to work hard to get shards.  I have to buy polished gems, hunt down mastery ingredients to improve my crit chances, and buy scrolls to further improve those chances.  The very best of the best items come from Tailors Guild recipes, which use resources that I can only craft once every three days. 

The bottom line is that my high level character's crafting skills are a key ingredient in the success of our low level characters, while the amount of effort involved keeps things well balanced and prevents trivializing the gear.  It's a good, balanced system with just enough depth to keep it from being easy while still being simple enough that you don't get bogged down with minutiae.

• BhoogrenBhoogren Member Posts: 18

I just tried to use the 10 day trial and it doesn't work. It keeps asking me for a product code.

Good luck. It looks like one of those totally software run sites with no real customer support.

Maybe they made the 10 day trial so clunky to get going to get new people frustrated enough to just buy it.

I just went through their entire website and there is absolutely no support contact listed for a real live person and since the problem I am having is not in their FAQ  and it prevents me from playing there ya go!

Their pre-game new customer support is a zero.

Where exacitly did you download this trial from? Link please, also are you in the EU or NA?

As for support, uh... Here.

----------

How are you?" -Me

Where exacitly did you download this trial from? Link please, also are you in the EU or NA?

Uh..I was there...and it provided me with no answers to the endless loop of download and register

I expected a happy face finish pop-up to notify me the installation was complete and other linear directions.  Instead it gave me a click here to register hyper link and that hyperlink led to a page that demanded a product code.

When I clicked on the help hyperlink in the forums i was led back to the play free for 10 days thing and went around the entire process again. It's simply an endless loop. Also got a error message that I had to be registered to post in the forums but can't do that without a product registration.

Uh... NA

Uh...  http://www.lotro.com/trial/

I suspect the  linear progression of the trial offer is poorly communicated due to Turbines desire to convert a trial to a paid account.

• cult7cult7 Member Posts: 59

Not a single problem with trial,After 5 days of my free trial i bought the game and the rest of my free days were added to my free 1st month you get when you  buy the game.

Turbine is very good

Originally posted by Bhoogren

Uh..I was there...and it provided me with no answers to the endless loop of download and register

I expected a happy face finish pop-up to notify me the installation was complete and other linear directions.  Instead it gave me a click here to register hyper link and that hyperlink led to a page that demanded a product code.

When I clicked on the help hyperlink in the forums i was led back to the play free for 10 days thing and went around the entire process again. It's simply an endless loop. Also got a error message that I had to be registered to post in the forums but can't do that without a product registration.

Uh... NA

Uh...  http://www.lotro.com/trial/

I suspect the  linear progression of the trial offer is poorly communicated due to Turbines desire to convert a trial to a paid account.

Then i don't know what to tell you, because the trail dos'nt work that way.

----------

How are you?" -Me

OK. After trial and error I figured it out.

This is the screen that says "Play free for 10 days"  with the hyperlink button "Start Playing Now click here button."

http://www.lotro.com/trial/http://www.lotro.com/trial/

This is the page for "Create Your Trial Account"

https://trial.turbine.com/lotro.php?ftui=LOTROTrialAccountDefault

Now the trick is to IGNORE any hyperlinks that will come up telling you to create an account, they will all lead to the product code account screen and  the endless loop that the Help FAQ and Forums will lead you to. The account has already been created. Even though there is one screen that will literally tell you you MUST create an account and provide you with a hyperlink to do so it is to be ignored. The account has already been created.  Ignore ANY additional account creation demands that may come up.

Also do not expect any graphics or other messages or pop-ups to tell you the 10 day trial account was created successfully nor any further instructions regarding what to do.

Simply wait until a colorful two pane screen appears and in the upper right there will be various activities such as game updates then the login graphics will appear. On the left I got a dwarf with a big axe and a "Upgrade Now". It's what's going on in the upper right that is important.

After the login graphics appear simply log in and play.

Have already created 2 characters and level 10 for both.  I am already having to choose the best  rotations for managing combat with solo and multiple mobs so PVE gets interesting immediately if you push the difficulty envelope. Lots of nice armor and weapon drops so far. Crafting quest appears early rather than later so that's peachy keen. Lots of support on the internet, many sites with good data and discussions. No problem finding quest sites and particulars as the interface provides strong guidance as to where they are. This looks promising.